AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Hey! I do not!

Oh wait... you're talking about Tom Cruise.

Ahem. Carry on.

You don't wanna mess with Les Grossman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

When a guy gets THAT rich and famous, it's safe to say he has a winning stature.

Lol. With his Adonis DNA and tiger blood.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 398 Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Great movie! Really enjoyed this although I was a little disappointed that Ving Rhames and Maggie Q weren't part of his team this go around. I really enjoyed Simon Pegg and it was great to see Blomkvist visiting US cinema Jeremy Renner was also great. This will be a day 1 purchase when it hits blu.

Definitely a day one purchase on blu for me too. Lets hope Paramount comes thru and releases them all with lossless audio. That box set now is an abomination and a desperate money grab. C'mon, man!

post #303 of 398 Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The poor guy was tired from just having kicked all those other people's asses. He's pushing 50, you know.

Well, since you put it that way... I have a hard time suspending my disbeilf.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #304 of 398 Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:

He [Tom Cruise] is kind of a fearless guy.
You have to admire that about him, to be certain.

He has appeared in roles where he isn't THE BIG ACTION STAR.
Tropic Thunder, Lions for Lambs, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Jerry Maguire come to mind.
The guy CAN act.

You will recall without my reminding you that in my opinion Tom Cruise is, to put it gently, only modestly talented. Nevertheless, the guy is very athletic, and as graceful as a cat, so I see why he would like to do his own stunts. Further, he has done a remarkable job over the course of what is now a long career of picking roles in films that have turned out to be very good. As you point out, a few of them were in roles other than the Action Hero genre. I guess I have to concede that Cruise really is better than I have given him credit for.
post #305 of 398 Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

When a guy gets THAT rich and famous, it's safe to say he has a winning stature.

Platform shoes and a Billion in the bank will get you down the road in fine fashion. It even solves the problem of Women looking down on you. Suddenly they don't mind wearing flats

So, I take it everyone likes this movie?
Not much on Mr Cruise, but I always had a soft spot for M.I. series. Loved the TV series when I was a kid.
post #306 of 398 Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Platform shoes and a Billion in the bank will get you down the road in fine fashion. It even solves the problem of Women looking down on you. Suddenly they don't mind wearing flats

So, I take it everyone likes this movie?
Not much on Mr Cruise, but I always had a soft spot for M.I. series. Loved the TV series when I was a kid.

See in Imax you wont regret the experience,it so incredible....
post #307 of 398 Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Went to see the movie last nite, agreed nonstop action and futuristic gadgets. The best MI film ever. I read where everyone who worked in the real room, wore parachutes. It was amazing that Tom did all those stunts himself. Watched a special about how this building was built and designed. Great surround sound, this will be a reference surround sound BD. Got tickets free via Cablevisions Reward Program. Feel sorry for people who paid a great deal of $$ for this picture. Good story in Popular Mechanics about the making of.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...ghost-protocol

post #308 of 398 Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

Feel sorry for people who paid a great deal of $$ for this picture.

Why? I saw it twice and I paid twice for the IMAX presentation. It's a great movie, I don't regret spending cash for it. There's also the less expensive, regular version; the choice is there. But I guess a movie makes money not just with free tickets so...(that doesn't mean I don't enjoy free tickets, I'm just saying) tx for the link btw
post #309 of 398 Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Platform shoes and a Billion in the bank will get you down the road in fine fashion.

How many of us would be willing to undergo height reduction for a Billion?
The line forms here...

Quote:

Loved the TV series when I was a kid.

+1

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #310 of 398 Old 01-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 12
A great behind-the-scenes of the spectacular shots:

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxg...host-protocol/
post #311 of 398 Old 01-29-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i wanted to see this in imax and unfortunately, the local "real" imax theater took it off to show underworld...seems like you get only one shot at these imax presentations. I don't ever see old movies with true imax footage like The Dark Knight or Transformers 2 being shown again.
post #312 of 398 Old 01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I just hope this thing is not WB and comes out on dvd ASAP...open, open...
post #313 of 398 Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok-whew, well the wait is finally over I can't remember the last time I anxiously patiently waited for a movie like this one.

Brad bird understands action and big time adventure at the highest levels. He brought the "MI" series back to it's foundation. The look and feel of ghost protocol is pure MI. The plot and story was to my surprise had many layers and very intelligent almost to the point of losing for most. Tom IMO has never looked this good, he was in top form in his "A" game. There was a lot of creativity and thought process that went to this and perhaps went overboard.

Another good thing is that there was no pussy footing around this time with soapy fiance relationships or wine commercial looking TV pilot like MI3 no siree bob. Just no holds pure raw gripping action. But that's where I just didn't love it as much as I wanted to. It was ONE LONG action sequence that didn't really have chapters or breaks to let you soak in the characters or the story. It was kinda empty and left you feeling like someone outside looking in vs being immersed in their lives. Don't get me wrong, this is "the" disc you put in when you have people over and have great time and it will make your HT look and sound spectacular.

I think Brad wanted to hit a home run and impressed everybody so bad and didn't want to have a letdown so he just letter rip with big time sequences and action. If he does do the next one Im all for it because I know he got his feet wet and settled down and maybe put together a better story and characters.
post #314 of 398 Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Im looking forward to watch this tonight.

Frank
post #315 of 398 Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 752
I watched this last night. I picked up the special edition BD exclusive to BestBuy for $20 yesterday(special launch day pricing). That was the only version that had all the extras. The normal BD version supposedly had a truncated list of extras.
Great 7.1 Dolby True HD audio and great video. I really enjoyed it. Probably better than when we saw it in the theater.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #316 of 398 Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Im looking forward to watch this tonight.

You're in for a treat. I saw this in the IMAX back when it was out. Great action scenes and ties in nicely with MI3. I got the Best Buy Exclusive BD and can't wait to fire it up and enjoy the TrueHD 7.1. I promised my kids I'd wait and watch it with them. But I may have to sneak this in tonight.

post #317 of 398 Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

You're in for a treat. I saw this in the IMAX back when it was out. Great action scenes and ties in nicely with MI3. I got the Best Buy Exclusive BD and can't wait to fire it up and enjoy the TrueHD 7.1. I promised my kids I'd wait and watch it with them. But I may have to sneak this in tonight.

Frank
post #318 of 398 Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The AV of the BD is stellar.
The movie has a number of eye-rolling moments.

Renner doesn't come off so well here.
However, Cruise and the girl are very good.

post #319 of 398 Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Renner doesn't come off so well here.
However, Cruise and the girl are very good.

Wow, you & I are right there man..precisely!!!

Renner is just too hicky or "jack & diane" that john cougar mellencamp sings about even though he's slicked out in Gucci. He's got that back home town guy you root for in the Hurt locker but Im just not feeling it for him in this and the next Bourne films...YMMV of course.

Yeah Tom kicked major ass in this and I'm sure he wanted to hush all the haters and back lash since the Oprah debacle...the boy came out to play that's for sure. And this is my 1st intro to paula patton and I like her a lot too...where have they been hiding her? want to see less Michelle rodriguez and zoe saldana more paula patton.

Again this was really a mix bag, lots of + but lots of - too. Weak silent villain, but the russian femme assassin was badass and could have been utilized more. Some great espionage execution like the dual meeting for the nuclear codes for diamonds was genius. The wall climb action was jaw dropping but too much horse playing around to being taken seriously. Wasteful nonsense cameo from ving rhames. Some of dialogue in this was razor sharp fast witty cool amongst the MI crew...but somehow they just felt like separate entities own their own hired for this mission yet could read each others mind like they grew up together.

This is my 2nd long dissertation on this film because it just needed to come out. Despite all that, I'm still lingering about the sick cinematography and direction of brad bird. It's so bold, enveloping and epic for a 1st timer, incredible.
post #320 of 398 Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

but the russian femme assassin was badass and could have been utilized more.

french, she was french goddammit!

Quote:

This is my 2nd long dissertation on this film because it just needed to come out. Despite all that, I'm still lingering about the sick cinematography and direction of brad bird. It's so bold, enveloping and epic for a 1st timer, incredible.

+1.

and + 1 on Renner too. I like him, but to me and regarding the upcoming Bourne Legacy, imo no one can replace Matt Damon, who nailed it like no other. I want to enjoy Bourne Legacy and I hope it's good, but I'm kinda skeptic too.

As a long time Tom Cruise fan, I was very happy to see him back at the top of his game in MI4. Like you said the boy sure came out to play ... agreed about Paula Patton, yet I certainly wouldn't have minded the return of gorgeous Maggie Q for Ghost Protocol, she would have been perfect as well.
post #321 of 398 Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Can't say I was crazy about this, after the Dubai section it just ran out of steam and went on to autopilot,Renner sort of took over from Cruise there for awhile, until to that parking building brawl, which turned out to be the most original scene in the film. The film also never seem to run out of the different assortment of BMW's as well wondering if I was watching a Bond film sometimes. Ok the last bit wasn't really a knock against the film I understand that product placement is part of this corporate world after all. And of course that whole missile issue,........ please. I do agree with zoey though about the previous installment's biggest problem: "domestic troubles" thankfully that was pretty much gone, and actually I didn't mind the explanation at the end to wrap things up.I bought this on BD unseen, and while it's not that great it's part of the collection now.YMMV.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #322 of 398 Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Watched it last night. I thought it was one of the better action movies I've seen in recent years, with a couple unique scenes (loved the sand storm and the garage battle at the end).

Obviously had some problems, the biggest for me being the villain not being fleshed out and the issues with the whole missile thing near the end (trying not to be too nit-picky about the inaccuracies). Still, I enjoyed it immensely, and the 2+ hours flew by for me.
post #323 of 398 Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I highly recommend this movie! It looks and sounds spectacular, of course, but it is also exceptionally entertaining. Great fun!

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #324 of 398 Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I highly recommend this movie! It looks and sounds spectacular, of course, but it is also exceptionally entertaining. Great fun!

I agree, this film was fantastic. Worth every penny.

Frank
post #325 of 398 Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Although I will probably buy the MI4 BD sometime, I finally decided to put off doing so until the price comes down and rent it instead. Picked up the BD at a Redbox kiosk earlier today and will watch it tonight. Based on what I have been reading, I can hardly wait to see it on BD. From all indications, its 7.1 soundtrack is world class and I loved the film when I saw it in the theater.
post #326 of 398 Old 04-19-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Saw the movie four times in the theatres, picked up the BD on day one (couldn't resist the sale price on the Best Buy 3 disc exclusive). Grew up watching the show, where the the IMF team effortlessly pulled off a ruse that the hapless villian wasn't aware of until it was too late. I love the fact that Cruise and Abrams have turned this premise on its head, with villians that are always one step ahead of the heroes and an IMF team that suffers losses at every turn. For the good guys, every single thing that can go wrong does go wrong. (Not too different from what happened to James Bond in the last two movies.) From a storytelling point of view, it's easier to root for underdogs.

Sanjay
post #327 of 398 Old 04-19-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Oh yeah I almost forgot, "Sawyer" in my hometown,[not really but according to the plot] that was cool even if that clock tower doesn't exist there at the train station, but hey still it was a nice surprise to see the opening shots.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #328 of 398 Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Even though I had seen this in the IMAX, what a treat it was at home. What can I say, that hasn't already been said? This 7.1 soundtrack is simply fantastic. You will literally be grinning from ear-to-ear. For those who haven't bought it yet, you know who you are, git to your nearest store and pick this up, pronto. You won't regret it.

post #329 of 398 Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Even though I had seen this in the IMAX, what a treat it was at home. What can I say, that hasn't already been said? This 7.1 soundtrack is simply fantastic. You will literally be grinning from ear-to-ear. For those who haven't bought it yet, you know who you are, git to your nearest store and pick this up, pronto. You won't regret it.

It's hard to argue with the AV of the BD...it really is 1st class.

IMO, there were some logic problems, but to each their own...

post #330 of 398 Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's hard to argue with the AV of the BD...it really is 1st class.

IMO, there were some logic problems, but to each their own...

No doubt about the logic problems. MI4 is loud and could hardly have been dumber. Nevertheless, it looked and sounded spectacular and Brad Bird (Ratatouille, The Incredibles, The Iron Giant) proved to me at least that he is as at least as good at live action as he is at animated features. MI4's 7.1 soundtrack is one of the best I have heard.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page