post #181 of 398 Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Reports of his [Tom Cruise] acting career death have been greatly exaggerated for decades.

Yeah, I think a lot of people wish he would fail, me among them sometimes. Still, as noted in an earlier post, more often than not the films Cruise appears in are pretty good and he always seems to manage not to spoil them. That's why I still see a fair number of Cruise films, despite my conviction that he is little more than an aging, semi-talented, pretty boy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 398 Old 12-26-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

yeah, i think a lot of people wish he would fail, me among them sometimes. Still, as noted in an earlier post, more often than not the films cruise appears in are pretty good and he always seems to manage not to spoil them. That's why i still see a fair number of cruise films, despite my conviction that he is little more than an aging, semi-talented, pretty boy.

Oh, how cynical!!!!

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #183 of 398 Old 12-26-2011, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was shocked at how little I enjoyed this. I guess I have to chalk it up to falling victim to my own hype, considering I have been excited about this film for over a year now. Ever since I heard Brad Bird was directing, and then again when I saw the footage of Cruise performing the stunts in Dubai. But -- outside of the fantastic sequences in Dubai -- this film fell completely flat, imo.

The plot was a mess, and worse it connected no real urgency to me as a viewer. So each time they were in a hurry to get something impossible done... I just didnt care (again, outside of Dubai). The performances were rather standard. Paula Patton was hot, but lacked any charisma. Renner was great, but not exceptional. Pegg was Pegg, and I at least appreciated that. Nyquist was horribly underused, so much so that you could be forgiven for forgetting that he was even in this film. The action sequences were rather boring, too (again, outside of Dubai). Though the final action set piece was pretty cool I guess. The intro sucked, the ending sucked... basically pretty much anything that wasn't in Dubai could've been left out of the film and I would've enjoyed it just as much. One huge exception to my negative experience was the awesome gadgetry on display in the film. The "virtual hallway" in particular was outstanding.

YMMV, obviously, but this movie paled in comparison the fantastic first and third films. Brad Bird's talents are undeniable, but I think he might need another film or two to make the full transition to live action. If you read his /Film interview I posted earlier, you'll see that even he admitted to feeling similarly. Regardless, it's certainly a better film than most popcorn action flicks, but I was definitely expecting more.
post #184 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

I was shocked at how little I enjoyed this. I guess I have to chalk it up to falling victim to my own hype, considering I have been excited about this film for over a year now. Ever since I heard Brad Bird was directing, and then again when I saw the footage of Cruise performing the stunts in Dubai. But -- outside of the fantastic sequences in Dubai -- this film fell completely flat, imo.

The plot was a mess, and worse it connected no real urgency to me as a viewer. So each time they were in a hurry to get something impossible done... I just didnt care (again, outside of Dubai). The performances were rather standard. Paula Patton was hot, but lacked any charisma. Renner was great, but not exceptional. Pegg was Pegg, and I at least appreciated that. Nyquist was horribly underused, so much so that you could be forgiven for forgetting that he was even in this film. The action sequences were rather boring, too (again, outside of Dubai). Though the final action set piece was pretty cool I guess. The intro sucked, the ending sucked... basically pretty much anything that wasn't in Dubai could've been left out of the film and I would've enjoyed it just as much. One huge exception to my negative experience was the awesome gadgetry on display in the film. The "virtual hallway" in particular was outstanding.

YMMV, obviously, but this movie paled in comparison the fantastic first and third films. Brad Bird's talents are undeniable, but I think he might need another film or two to make the full transition to live action. If you read his /Film interview I posted earlier, you'll see that even he admitted to feeling similarly. Regardless, it's certainly a better film than most popcorn action flicks, but I was definitely expecting more.

I agree with most of what you said, especially when comparing this to 1 and 3
post #185 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 519
There's always something to be said for low expectations, which is what I have going into any Tom Cruise film. Thanks to that, MI-4 was a guilty pleasure. It lets you know in the first 10 minutes that there's not a serious bone in its body. No matter, though, because if has a mostly terrific ensemble cast and all the laughs and excitement it provided, I liked it a lot.

As usual, Cruise was underwhelming but, also as usual, he wasn't quite bad enough to do damage to the film. Jeremy Renner was terrific as a bad ass operator and Simon Pegg was a hoot as a largely incompetent techie. Unfortunately, Paula Patton didn't do anything for me. I thought she wasn't quite beautiful enough or talented enough to bring off her role as a female bad ass operator.

My reservations about Cruise and Patton notwithstanding I thought MI-4 was terrific. It looked and sounded spectacular. The sound design was impressive and its LFE world class. I can hardly wait for the BD. This one is on my buy list. Because I was feeling particularly charitable, I gave it 8 Stars out of 10.
post #186 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

There's always something to be said for low expectations, which is what I have going into any Tom Cruise film. Thanks to that, MI-4 was a guilty pleasure. It lets you know in the first 10 minutes that there's not a serious bone in its body. No matter, though, because if has a mostly terrific ensemble cast and all the laughs and excitement it provided, I liked it a lot.

As usual, Cruise was underwhelming but, also as usual, he wasn't quite bad enough to do damage to the film. Jeremy Renner was terrific as a bad ass operator and Simon Pegg was a hoot as a largely incompetent techie. Unfortunately, Paula Patton didn't do anything for me. I thought she wasn't quite beautiful enough or talented enough to bring off her role as a female bad ass operator.

My reservations about Cruise and Patton notwithstanding I thought MI-4 was terrific. It looked and sounded spectacular. The sound design was impressive and its LFE world class. I can hardly wait for the BD. This one is on my buy list. Because I was feeling particularly charitable, I gave it 8 Stars out of 10.

I just want to know ONE thing....how much lens flair flare is there?

post #187 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I just want to know ONE thing....how much lens flair flare is there?

Not enough.
post #188 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 645
There's never enough of this Flair.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #189 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Just for those wondering. Renner not taking over lead in 'Mission: Impossible'

post #190 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Ghost Protocol proves that people still want to see Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt...at least I do. So I guess as long as he can physically do it, there's no stopping him Frankly I think he owns this franchise and it'll be hard for someone else to simply 'replace him'.
post #191 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If you think about it, he's the only major A list that has starred and carried successful franchise sequels now up the the 4th. No other A lister's have been able to this with their franchise: Arnold ended with a terrible Terminator 3, Ford with Indiana jones (Kingdom of skulls) , Superman has some bad ones 3rd/4th, and even Bruce Willis the 3rd Die hard flop, Spiderman reign ended with the 3rd one, Bourne ended with the 3rd, Eddie murphy with 3 Beverly hills cop, Al Pacino with the awful 3rd Godfather, and how many reboots/replacements for Batman.

Have I missed anyone? that pretty much covers all the big franchise in the history of cinema so Cruise has accomplished a lot for the MI franchise. He's all alone at the top.
And it looks like if he plays his card right and continues to pick the next hot director say like Justin Lin or Katheryn Bigelow, the 5th one is going to be another huge box office and critical success.
post #192 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

If you think about it, he's the only major A list that has starred and carried successful franchise sequels now up the the 4th. No other A lister's have been able to this with their franchise: Arnold ended with a terrible Terminator 3, Ford with Indiana jones (Kingdom of skulls) , Superman has some bad ones 3rd/4th, and even Bruce Willis the 3rd Die hard flop, Spiderman reign ended with the 3rd one, Bourne ended with the 3rd, Eddie murphy with 3 Beverly hills cop, Al Pacino with the awful 3rd Godfather, and how many reboots/replacements for Batman.

Have I missed anyone? that pretty much covers all the big franchise in the history of cinema so Cruise has accomplished a lot for the MI franchise. He's all alone at the top.
And it looks like if he plays his card right and continues to pick the next hot director say like Justin Lin or Katheryn Bigelow, the 5th one is going to be another huge box office and critical success.

Sean Connery & Roger Moore in the Bond series come to mind. Although it's not my cup of tea, Vin Diesel in the Fast Five movies. Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil saga and Sigourney Weaver in the Alien franchise. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

As for the MI series. I've pretty much enjoyed them all. MI: 2 was kind of hard to stomach though. A little too much John Woo.

post #193 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Sean Connery & Roger Moore in the Bond series come to mind. Although it's not my cup of tea, Vin Diesel in the Fast Five movies. Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil saga and Sigourney Weaver in the Alien franchise. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

As for the MI series. I've pretty much enjoyed them all. MI: 2 was kind of hard to stomach though. A little too much John Woo.

As John Woo movies go, MI:2 is a magnum opus. And I am [was?] a John Woo fan.
post #194 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) Vin diesel was not in the 2nd one nor Tokyo drift.
2) Resident evil is a nice franchise but not blockbusters in the sense like MI series. And Milla's fans are mostly young men/gamers demographic

Btw I forgot to add Stallone didn't do too bad with up to Rocky 4 with Drago.
post #195 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) Vin diesel was not in the 2nd one nor Tokyo drift.
2) Resident evil is a nice franchise but not blockbusters in the sense like MI series. And Milla's fans are mostly young men/gamers demographic

Btw I forgot to add Stallone didn't do too bad with up to Rocky 4 with Drago.

Mr. Diesel had a cameo in Tokyo Drift. So that's 4 Fast movies he was in.

I'm a Milla fan and I'm old and in the way. What are these confounded gamers you speak of?

post #196 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mr. Diesel had a cameo in Tokyo Drift. So that's 4 Fast movies he was in.

I repeat, he wasn't in the 2nd one
post #197 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I repeat, he wasn't in the 2nd one

Lol. But he was in 4 of the 5. Your criteria was 4 movies.

post #198 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok once in for all I would like y'all to watch the 1st 15 min of Mi 3 again here and tell me if this wasn't the lamest MI intro ever. It was like watching a TV show or some wine commercial. MI 2 still has the best opening with that mountain climb then whisks you away to the exotic spanish fandango thumping tap dancing show that was just riveting and heart/bass pounding. For a MI or 007 film it's absolutely crucial for the intro to set the tone for the entire movie.

post #199 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol. But he was in 4 of the 5. Your criteria was 4 movies.

If you want it that bad for Vin who am I to stop you but I was going for consecutive streaks with no breaks in the series.
post #200 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

As Croc dundee would say: now this is an intro...

post #201 of 398 Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Ok once in for all I would like y'all to watch the 1st 15 min of Mi 3 again here and tell me if this wasn't the lamest MI intro ever. It was like watching a TV show or some wine commercial. MI 2 still has the best opening with that mountain climb then whisks you away to the exotic spanish fandango thumping tap dancing show that was just riveting and heart/bass pounding. For a MI or 007 film it's absolutely crucial for the intro to set the tone for the entire movie.

I thought john woo helped with mi4...probably 2 more likely. Mi2's intro was good but I didn't find the overal film as enjoyable as the rest. Still good though

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #202 of 398 Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

]

Even though it wasnt the exciting pulse pounding intro we've all come to want or expect from this type of movie I think it worked well...especially since MI3 is my favorite of all the MI's so far. (wont see 4 until next week)

That said, it probably would have been more fitting had they started the movie with the extraction of the agent and then flashed back to the engagement party.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #203 of 398 Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I hated MI 3. Liked MI 4 quite a bit.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #204 of 398 Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Honestly it's very hard to pick a favorite in the whole M:I franchise, even MI2 I liked it a lot. One thing it has going for it imo is that it took the character(s) and left the 'old school' vibe of the first film, which was fine for one movie but could have ended up outdated quick (and with DePalma directing, it helped I guess). Yes it had lame moments and the John Woo's clichés, but it also had some spectacular, jaw-dropping action as well, and it added the 'modern-spy' style. The worst part of MI:2 to me has always been the Limp Bizkit crap. What I really liked about Ghost Protocol is that it managed to blend the best of both worlds, the old school spy style and the ultra-modern-gadget-filled style. It works and it's a great film.
post #205 of 398 Old 12-29-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's part of the intro after the rock climb. If you have a good subwoofer, it's one of the best demo material. I've sold several speakers/subs with this alone. Another reason why I love MI 2.

post #206 of 398 Old 12-29-2011, 03:12 PM

IMO, the problem with MI:2 was it was incredibly, tortuously, cheesy. The John Woo cliches were cranked up to 11, and it just didnt work for film material that is supposed to be grounded in reality (accomplishing the impossible with the improbable). Had it been some different IP altogether, I probably could've stomached it better. But Woo ended up wasting an admittedly fantastic intro on material that deserved better. Which is why MI:3 worked so well... it took the ultra-realism of the first film (save for the exploding helicopter jump), and added just enough stylization and romanticism that it was the best of both worlds.
post #207 of 398 Old 12-29-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's part of the intro after the rock climb. If you have a good subwoofer, it's one of the best demo material. I've sold several speakers/subs with this alone. Another reason why I love MI 2.

I think this piece is my favorite music from MI2, too bad it's much shorter in the movie if I'm not mistaken.
post #208 of 398 Old 12-29-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

IMO, the problem with MI:2 was it was incredibly, tortuously, cheesy. The John Woo cliches were cranked up to 11, and it just didnt work for film material that is supposed to be grounded in reality (accomplishing the impossible with the improbable). Had it been some different IP altogether, I probably could've stomached it better. But Woo ended up wasting an admittedly fantastic intro on material that deserved better.

+1
My take too.
I hated the damn movie.

post #209 of 398 Old 12-29-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Whatever haters, yack away all you want but MI 2 was and still will be the box office champ of the series. Not even this 4th one 11 yrs later with ticket prices nearly doubled cannot pass it.

It still has to beat Mission Impossible II

Budget: $125,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $70,816,215 (USA) (28 May 2000) (3653 Screens)
Gross: $565,400,000 (Worldwide)
post #210 of 398 Old 12-30-2011, 02:05 AM

Liked: 10
Going to see MI 4 this weekend in imax theatre, I can't wait!
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page