Strange Forced Subtitle - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On occassion, some DVD movies that I watch have a forced Spanish subtitle to display what is showing on the screen. For example, a sign for a "Store" may be on the screen and a subtitle will show "Tienda". I usually have English subtitles on and can verify that Spanish subtitles are not on. The dialogue is not present in spanish subtitles, since I haven't turned Spanish on.

Most of these movies are Netlix rentals, and I see it on occassion and wondered if they are forced (burned into the video). Does anyone else ever see this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you watching it in English? I notice you have English subtitles on, but which audio track have you selected (it is not clear in your post)?

I would guess if you are watching the Spanish language track, that it might subtitle signs, assuming that you may not be able to read English.

Similar to if I'm watching an English-language movie, and a sign is shown that is written a foreign language, it will pop up an English-Language subtitle telling me what the sign says.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by global_dev View Post

On occassion, some DVD movies that I watch have a forced Spanish subtitle to display what is showing on the screen. For example, a sign for a "Store" may be on the screen and a subtitle will show "Tienda". I usually have English subtitles on and can verify that Spanish subtitles are not on. The dialogue is not present in spanish subtitles, since I haven't turned Spanish on.

Most of these movies are Netlix rentals, and I see it on occassion and wondered if they are forced (burned into the video). Does anyone else ever see this?

My kids like watching Lilo & Stitch and this happens no matter what DVD player I put it in.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Are you watching it in English? I notice you have English subtitles on, but which audio track have you selected (it is not clear in your post)?

I would guess if you are watching the Spanish language track, that it might subtitle signs, assuming that you may not be able to read English.

Similar to if I'm watching an English-language movie, and a sign is shown that is written a foreign language, it will pop up an English-Language subtitle telling me what the sign says.

Always english audio w/ english subs. English sign, hardcoded subtitle in spanish.

I think its for easy distribution in NA for Netflix-style services for spanish speakers when the subs don't show whats in the screen.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by global_dev View Post

Always english audio w/ english subs. English sign, hardcoded subtitle in spanish.

I think its for easy distribution in NA for Netflix-style services for spanish speakers when the subs don't show whats in the screen.

Beats me then...I've never seen that. Perhaps you could provide a title that does this?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I used to have a Sony DVD player that had a disc memory function. It sometimes displayed the oddity you describe. It would only be in certain spots on some DVDs.

Anyway, I was playing around with the settings, turned off the disc memory function, and the problem went away. I'm guessing that the disc memory function had some code that, when the DVD passed a layer change, would inadvertantly invoke the Spanish Closed Captioning.

Doug
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page