The Last Airbender - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
1 2  3  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > The Last Airbender
lwright84's Avatar lwright84 10:21 AM 07-10-2009
Without starting a discussion on his past films, M. Night is coming out with a new movie that is completely different than anything else he's ever done. What do you guys think?

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/20...he/trailer.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Wytchone's Avatar Wytchone 02:59 PM 07-10-2009
Saw the trailer..

We have to wait a FREAKING YEAR but they have a trailer.

Irks me.
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 03:01 PM 07-10-2009
Saw it. I'm worried.
mproper's Avatar mproper 03:02 PM 07-10-2009
Saw the trailer tied to Transformers 2.

Looks good. I have friends who are really into the Avatar series (I personally am not and have only seen bits and pieces here and there), so I'm really curious what M. Night will do with it, and if it'll have a "twist" or not.

Oh, I am assuming you guys are familiar with it and know Avatar: The Last Airbender is a cartoon on Nickelodeon (I apologize if that's a no-brainer, but I don't know how popular it is so not sure that's common knowledge or not).
Aliens's Avatar Aliens 03:15 PM 07-10-2009
2010? Sheit, that’s happening now.

“Some believe he is the chosen one. Some will stop at nothing to destroy him.” C’mon, you know who he is.
thehun's Avatar thehun 04:45 PM 07-10-2009
^^^yeah, his name is Neo......commie.
Matt_Stevens's Avatar Matt_Stevens 05:41 PM 07-10-2009
Looks BIG. But M. Knight hasn't made a good film since Unbreakable (well, Signs was OK) so I don't have my hopes up.
Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z 05:58 PM 07-10-2009
I suppose the thing to hope is that, since he's working from pre-existing material, he won't screw up the story too much.
lwright84's Avatar lwright84 06:18 PM 07-10-2009
Just couldn't help yourselves.. How expected.
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 09:47 PM 07-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Just couldn't help yourselves.. How expected.

When The 6th Sense came out on video/dvd, I remember thinking about the extras and this supposedly amazing first short from Shyamalan that he really wanted to be recognized as the next Spielberg. You know, the young gifted child that couldn't become anything but the next gifted director... From then on I've had a hard a time appreciating his movies. Because he's still so full of himself it's not even funny. His cameo/appearance in all his films a la Hitckcock, his clichés so easily "borrowed" from Spielberg, etc... And I have a problem with movie posters that say 's... It's just pretentious. And Shyamalan is pretentious, it's even more obvious in his movies. He deperately wants us to believe he's a very serious, talented, gifted, director. But he has made some very mediocre and boring flicks lately. I hope this one will be better, really. Because I liked the 6th Sense and Unbreakable wasn't bad. I found the rest utterly stupid. That's why I'm worried about this one, but I hope he will get it right, he has talent.
Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z 09:34 AM 07-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Just couldn't help yourselves.. How expected.

You say that as if it's our fault that his last several movies have been so godawful unwatchable.
Matt_Stevens's Avatar Matt_Stevens 10:42 AM 07-11-2009
ditto
lwright84's Avatar lwright84 12:26 PM 07-11-2009
I say that because they haven't been godawful unwatchable, but I knew that you two - in particular - would have some high-browed and negative opinion about them that you just couldnt stop yourselves from sharing in a thread about his new one.

Morpheo, I partially agree with your description of him and his film-making, but I do think some of those attributes you mentioned come from a more innocent intent than you think.
Daman S's Avatar Daman S 09:38 AM 02-11-2010
Reviving an older thread. I'm a big fan of the original series and just saw the extended trailer that has been released today on Yahoo. This is a 2 minute version instead of the 30 second one that we saw in superbowl.

From the trailer it seems M night has really nailed the look of the series correctly and i'm actually looking forward to this now. Hope it will not be like his previous 2 movies and a step in the right direction.
rickster904's Avatar rickster904 10:29 AM 02-11-2010
I had a good sleep watching "The Happening". Shyamalan will not even be a blind-rent again. If Matt and Josh give this an ok I'll rent. In other words ...
Daman S's Avatar Daman S 09:45 PM 02-11-2010
Here's a link to the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iwh70CLHiM
DaveFi's Avatar DaveFi 10:14 PM 02-11-2010
Airbender has a huge following with the kiddies so this is guaranteed big box-office no matter how big of a turd M. Night turns out (and does anyone believe he won't?).
rezzy's Avatar rezzy 04:02 PM 02-12-2010
Trailer looks decent; I just may go. But this is Night's last chance to deliver something fresh and interesting, as far as I'm concerned.
DaveFi's Avatar DaveFi 05:28 PM 02-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Trailer looks decent; I just may go. But this is Night's last chance to deliver something fresh and interesting, as far as I'm concerned.

Keep saying that to yourself. I'm sure that's what the studios have said for his last 6 or 7 movies. I truly wonder how he gets any money to make movies anymore?
Tulpa's Avatar Tulpa 06:38 PM 02-12-2010
I know Disney got tired of it when he gave them the script to Lady in the Water, although they were willing to finance it (he thought if they were reluctant, he didn't want their money.) They also had problems with The Village.

LiTW and The Happening were two different studios; not sure what happened there. And now this one is Paramount (although I guess that's because the cartoon is owned by their parent.) I wonder if he'll hit up Universal, Sony, and whatever mid level distribution companies for any future films.
rezzy's Avatar rezzy 07:27 PM 02-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Keep saying that to yourself. I'm sure that's what the studios have said for his last 6 or 7 movies. I truly wonder how he gets any money to make movies anymore?

I didn't say he would never direct again, only I'd quit watching him if this film majorly sucks.
rhett7660's Avatar rhett7660 02:27 AM 02-16-2010
I am actually looking forward to this one. Even after the last three or four movies being a flop. This looks to be something different from him and it has me intrigued.
thebland's Avatar thebland 04:32 AM 02-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Without starting a discussion on his past films, M. Night is coming out with a new movie that is completely different than anything else he's ever done. What do you guys think?

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/20...he/trailer.php

Of course he's trying something new... his last few films have been utter laughs. He's lost it.
Franin's Avatar Franin 11:12 PM 02-17-2010
Havent yet seen this film I have to admit Ive enjoyed most of M. Night's films. I think im the only one in this forum that does
Tulpa's Avatar Tulpa 11:25 PM 02-17-2010
I think he has talent, but he's been kind of sliding into the abyss for me.

I thought the first two were solid. I wasn't like "OMG, THE TWISTS WERE SO AMAZING AWESOMESAUCE" but they were pretty well done.

Signs I wanted to like, but too many holes. I mean, within the movie everything tied together, but the whole aliens-water-Earth 70% covered in water-trap them in a pantry pushed it over the edge into piffle for me. Good suspense and some clever dialog. Not a total trainwreck.

Village - Cool short story idea, and clever at times, but I think most were hoping for a monsters vs. pilgrims story , not what it turned out to be. I mean, the previous three had supernatural elements, and I can understand if he wanted to do something different, and I can see what he was going for, but just not what I was hoping for. And the good dialog he was capable of in Signs seemed to have disappeared.

Lady in the Water - okay, this was just a bad idea wrapped in a mess. I can see why Disney didn't want to do it. I guess Warner Brothers decided, "Eh, let's give it a go."

The Happening - This was the first one I skipped going to the theater and just rented. If I can say one nice thing, I liked it better than LitW.


Now with Airbender, he's working with previously written material, so maybe that will help. Although I have NO interest in the original source material.
lwright84's Avatar lwright84 06:18 AM 02-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I think he has talent, but he's been kind of sliding into the abyss for me.

I thought the first two were solid. I wasn't like "OMG, THE TWISTS WERE SO AMAZING AWESOMESAUCE" but they were pretty well done.

Signs I wanted to like, but too many holes. I mean, within the movie everything tied together, but the whole aliens-water-Earth 70% covered in water-trap them in a pantry pushed it over the edge into piffle for me. Good suspense and some clever dialog. Not a total trainwreck.

Village - Cool short story idea, and clever at times, but I think most were hoping for a monsters vs. pilgrims story , not what it turned out to be. I mean, the previous three had supernatural elements, and I can understand if he wanted to do something different, and I can see what he was going for, but just not what I was hoping for. And the good dialog he was capable of in Signs seemed to have disappeared.

Lady in the Water - okay, this was just a bad idea wrapped in a mess. I can see why Disney didn't want to do it. I guess Warner Brothers decided, "Eh, let's give it a go."

The Happening - This was the first one I skipped going to the theater and just rented. If I can say one nice thing, I liked it better than LitW.


Now with Airbender, he's working with previously written material, so maybe that will help. Although I have NO interest in the original source material.

I agree with most of this, however I like The Village much better than Signs. Signs was decent at best, whereas I felt The Village had a more powerful message, better acting, and better suspense.

Lady In The Water worked for me because I knew exactly what it was going in.. a children's bedtime story brought to life in an urban setting. It was different, and I can see how many people would go in expecting something else based on the trailers and press images, but I enjoyed it. I have to say though.. it's my least favorite M. Night film.

The Happening.. heh, I gave up trying to defend or explain this movie to anyone. On the surface, it's hard to enjoy this film at all.. I agree. However, this film is the most misunderstood of his, imo. So much of it is subtextual and even the seemingly silly things like the child-like dialogue is completely intentional. In short, this film really has very little to do with the environment or going green or protect the Earth and it's plants before they kill you.
Franin's Avatar Franin 06:29 AM 02-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

I agree with most of this, however I like The Village much better than Signs. Signs was decent at best, whereas I felt The Village had a more powerful message, better acting, and better suspense.

Lady In The Water worked for me because I knew exactly what it was going in.. a children's bedtime story brought to life in an urban setting. It was different, and I can see how many people would go in expecting something else based on the trailers and press images, but I enjoyed it. I have to say though.. it's my least favorite M. Night film.

The Happening.. heh, I gave up trying to defend or explain this movie to anyone. On the surface, it's hard to enjoy this film at all.. I agree. However, this film is the most misunderstood of his, imo. So much of it is subtextual and even the seemingly silly things like the child-like dialogue is completely intentional. In short, this film really has very little to do with the environment or going green or protect the Earth and it's plants before they kill you.

I did not mind the Happening but it's certainly on the bottom pile of M nights movies for me. But have to agree i prefer the village over signs.
Tulpa's Avatar Tulpa 08:10 AM 02-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

I agree with most of this, however I like The Village much better than Signs. Signs was decent at best, whereas I felt The Village had a more powerful message, better acting, and better suspense.

I think the Village might have been a bit undermined by the marketing and Night's image as a supernatural filmmaker (at least that's what we thought he was in 2004.) But I also think at best it's more an independent movie than a Hollywood one. I also disagree about the acting. I thought everyone but Howard and maybe Hurt was subpar. Phoenix particularly, and he was really good in Signs, IMO. This one might be just different tastes.

Quote:


Lady In The Water worked for me because I knew exactly what it was going in.. a children's bedtime story brought to life in an urban setting. It was different, and I can see how many people would go in expecting something else based on the trailers and press images, but I enjoyed it. I have to say though.. it's my least favorite M. Night film.

I knew exactly what it was, too. I knew from the press releases that he was filming a story he often told his kids. And I held nothing against that. And everything in the movie seem exactly like I expected.

I just thought it was absolutely terrible.

And I never wanted to strangle anyone more than Night when I saw him in that role in the film. Good lord.

Quote:


The Happening.. heh, I gave up trying to defend or explain this movie to anyone. On the surface, it's hard to enjoy this film at all.. I agree. However, this film is the most misunderstood of his, imo. So much of it is subtextual and even the seemingly silly things like the child-like dialogue is completely intentional. In short, this film really has very little to do with the environment or going green or protect the Earth and it's plants before they kill you.

I'm not sure what he was going for with this one, if it was all intentional. It just seemed to be more about the event (the Happening?) rather than the people. If he was going for that, okay, I guess, but I'd rather care about the characters, and in this film, I really didn't give a flip what happened to them.
Daman S's Avatar Daman S 09:39 AM 02-18-2010
I agree what the postings about his previous films being duds for the most part. My favourite film of his remains Unbreakable and Sixth Sense after that. Village was actually pretty decent imho. But Litw and Happening were all downhill.

I am a big fan of the Nickelodeon cartoons and highly recommend them if you haven't seen them. I watched the first season through netflix online and was hooked. This is an American cartoon and not a Japanese one though it's made in Anime style. Plus they are really well made, adults can enjoy them as much as kids.

Seeing the trailers has me real excited because Night seems to have absolutely nailed the look of the cartoon(which imho was very hard to do) and i can actually recollect all the scenes in the cartoon from the trailer.

So i'm in the camp of really hoping this is a good movie because i want to see the remaining 2 films being made as well.
Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z 10:22 AM 02-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I know Disney got tired of it when he gave them the script to Lady in the Water, although they were willing to finance it (he thought if they were reluctant, he didn't want their money.) They also had problems with The Village.

LiTW and The Happening were two different studios; not sure what happened there. And now this one is Paramount (although I guess that's because the cartoon is owned by their parent.) I wonder if he'll hit up Universal, Sony, and whatever mid level distribution companies for any future films.

Shymalan and Disney parted ways after The Village tanked. Disney was willing to continue working with him, but wasn't happy with the screenplay for Lady in the Water and asked for revisions. Shymalan pulled a primadonna attitude and told them, "My script is absolutely perfect as it is. How dare you question me? I'm a genius! I will not change a word!"

They told him to have a nice life.

He convinced Warner Bros. to finance it instead. They did, and it tanked. That was the end of his relationship with Warner Bros.

He took his next script (The Happening) to Fox. They produced that one, and it tanked. Goodbye Fox.

Now he's at Paramount. We'll see how long this cycle can keep repeating itself.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop