post #91 of 139 Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgotwals1 View Post

Take my comments for what they are worth as this was movie #3 of 6 on a plane from Korea to NY.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

I did not feel that this was a sermon about Christianity as some others have posted. It was more about individual faith, regardless of the world around you. In fact, the antagonist in the movie was trying to use the same practices that many criticize modern religions of doing, (men) using the "bible" to control other men (can be applied to all religions). I don't think they would have included this aspect if it was completely slanted. I also interpretted the scene where the bible was placed on the shelf next to the Koran and others as; they were all the same, and part of our history. The bible wasn't the biggest (If I remember correctly) or the first (or last), just another book in the history of mankind.

I wrote off his accurate gun shooting as years of tuning his other senses. There was nothing else to do but walk and locate things by smell, sound, and touch. Of course, I don't know how he knew his ipod was low on battery, unless it just stopped working.

Good post but I don't remember seeing the
Spoiler  
Koran. It was the Torah that was to the left of the Bible when placed on the shelf. Maybe the Koran was elsewhere that I didn't see.

As for the iPod, I would imagine that there would be an audible alert that the battery was dying, in addition to the graphical one. I don't think it was an actual iPod though, it looked like a generic knock-off to me, because I remember seeing buttons on the front of the device
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 139 Old 07-29-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Knowing the music player's battery was dying might have been as simple as audible dropouts over the headphones...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #93 of 139 Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 AM

Liked: 10
oink,
Does your view on truth in advertising extend to a movie that sucks, but the trailer makes it look great?

IAM4UK - -good point, again, this wasn't a problem for me while watching, just in trying to think of some of the clues.
post #94 of 139 Old 07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgotwals1 View Post

oink,
Does your view on truth in advertising extend to a movie that sucks, but the trailer makes it look great?

For me, it isn't a question of whether a trailer must reflect the quality of the movie.
We have all seen great trailers pushing crap movies.
And its opposite....ho-hum trailers of terrific films.

Trailers are ads to get butts in seats (or to buy the videos).
We often make buying decisions based upon these trailers.

I cry foul when trailers deliberate mislead what type of film Movie X is...

For example, if you were to buy a Corvette, get it home, pop the hood, and find a little 4-cylinder motor....would you feel defrauded?
Yeah, sure, it IS a car, but it isn't a Corvette is it?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #95 of 139 Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

We often make buying decisions based upon these trailers.

Not me. I come here first to see what everyone is saying.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #96 of 139 Old 07-29-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

i cry foul when trailers deliberate mislead what type of film movie x is...

+1

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #97 of 139 Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Not me. I come here first to see what everyone is saying.

It has been my experience AVS members are very good reviewers and I rarely disagree with their choices.

post #98 of 139 Old 07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 188
Quote:

I cry foul when trailers deliberate mislead what type of film Movie X is...

Your position basically means there can never have any surprises, ever. All must be made known so as not to offend someone who *might* be put off by the what elements the film makers put in it.

I brought it up before, so I'll ask you directly: did you fuss about that the ending of Bourne Supremacy wasn't known ahead of time? Did you complain that the ads should have pre-revealed the revelation for The Crying Game?

If you didn't complain and are fine with how those were promoted, do you simply want film makers to know just your particular dislikes and then plan their entire marketing efforts around that alone? Or maybe you should just come here or imdb.com on opening night to get a feel for what's in a movie before you pay to see it if you are that serious about not being surprised.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #99 of 139 Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Your position basically means there can never have any surprises, ever.

Is that rhetorical?
If a movie is dull, I hit the reject button most vehemently.

Quote:

All must be made known so as not to offend someone who *might* be put off by the what elements the film makers put in it.

"All must be known...."
Oh, I get ya now....you are being rhetorical.

Quote:

I brought it up before, so I'll ask you directly: did you fuss about that the ending of Bourne Supremacy wasn't known ahead of time? Did you complain that the ads should have pre-revealed the revelation for The Crying Game?

I didn't waste everyone's time with an answer before, so at your insistence....
I don't think much of B.S. (or any of the others).
Mainly, because I was put off by the over-use of jiggly camera shots.
Too bad....because I enjoyed the story and performances quite a bit.
I can't recall much about the plot of this movie and if I complained I would have bitched about a helluva lot more than the ending.

The Crying Game is one of my favorite films....EVER.
So, no, I don't have much to cry about there.
But if the BIG TWIST was revealed in trailers, it shouldn't have been.
The first time I saw the C.G. I was quite surprised.
And that was good.

Quote:

If you didn't complain and are fine with how those were promoted, do you simply want film makers to know just your particular dislikes and then plan their entire marketing efforts around that alone?

I REALLY think they should cater to my whims....I would.

Quote:

Or maybe you should just come here or imdb.com on opening night to get a feel for what's in a movie before you pay to see it if you are that serious about not being surprised.

FYI, I do not read spoilers here at AVS if I have an interest in seeing the film.
I....uh....like to be surprised...right?

In fact, I rarely even post in threads UNTIL I see the movie.
It is my way of keeping my voice coming out of my mouth, instead of my....

post #100 of 139 Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I REALLY think they should cater to my whims....I would.

Damn straight...

Hey, I bought the Immortal BD for $8.00 from Frys...no audio problems

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #101 of 139 Old 07-30-2010, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I've seen this movie like 12 times, and I'm beginning to suspect that...

Spoiler  
Denzel Washington is playing Eli.....and he may be blind.

post #102 of 139 Old 07-30-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 279
This arrives today and will be watched tomorrow night. Looking at the trailers, I'm expecting Eli’s Coming by Three Dog Night to be the theme, if not, I’m going to be hugely disappointed.

I wasn’t going rent this because I’m not interested in being preached to by those evil Hollywood people, but the wife asked if I put it in my queue, which I hadn’t, so I added it for her.

Thinking of someone other than myself will save my soul – Aliens 69:69

post #103 of 139 Old 07-30-2010, 07:09 AM

Just rented this dvd and really want to know why the dialog is so damn low... seriously, I had to put on subtitles just to get what the actors are muttering....
post #104 of 139 Old 07-30-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalier95 View Post

Just rented this dvd and really want to know why the dialog is so damn low... seriously, I had to put on subtitles just to get what the actors are muttering....

I noticed that as well in some scenes. Some discs are mastered that way which can be a problem - turn up the volume to compensate for it, then the action scenes get too loud. Or have to turn on the "night mode".
post #105 of 139 Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Hey, I bought the Immortal BD for $8.00 from Frys...no audio problems

It's about damn time!
IIRC, the audio problem effected only one of the tracks.
Did you check all of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

This arrives today and will be watched tomorrow night. Looking at the trailers, I'm expecting Eli’s Coming by Three Dog Night to be the theme, if not, I’m going to be hugely disappointed.

Prepare to be disappointed....

Quote:

the wife asked if I put it in my queue, which I hadn’t, so I added it for her.

You're not alone in this...I do the same thing.

Quote:

Thinking of someone other than myself will save my soul – Aliens 69:69

I thought your soul was incorruptible....since you're alien and all.

post #106 of 139 Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
This film was certainly no "Christian sermon". This film brought up important questions and themes for everyone and it while it conveyed the importance of faith and God in society, it certainly didn't do it with bright red roses and a cherry on top. Consider Oldman's dialogue about how the Book is a weapon. I'm actually surprised this movie came from Hollywood and didn't have 90% more "Christianity is an evil farce" speeches like that. I really appreciated the filmmaker's delivery of their material, and the portrayal of faith and God as significant to mankind, while also acknowledging it's many faults through their very hands. It was refreshingly honest and even a bit inspiring.

As for Eli being blind...
Spoiler  
I was having a difficult time with that one until I listed my pros and cons, then it became a bit clearer:

Pros:
-He didn't kill the cat until after it made a sound
-When he searches the skeleton in the car for shoes, rather than just looking for them
-He tells the rat that he's gonna have to come take the food from him
-The way he navigated his way through the first house (pushing dishes to the side, kicking things to move forward)
-The awkward bumping into the table when he went to open the closet
-Not reacting to the dead body, but rather reacting to the sounds the doors made when opened
-His comment about being able to smell bad guys 30 ft away
-The fact that he walks up an ENTIRE bridge with a visible gap in it, and a curved overpass at that (which would steer him away from West if it had been intact)
-When he's walking along the bridge, he doesn't duck out of sight until he hears a noise
-When attacked by the first hijackers, he backs into the tunnel where sound is enhanced
-When fighting in the bar his head is down as if trying to react to light changes (at first I thought this was just Denzel trying to be extra cool)
-When he finds the lighter he checks with his hand to see if there is fire
-When his iPod dies, he presses all the buttons multiple times even though the screen displays "Low Battery" warning
-When he goes to get his iPod recharged, the guy at the counter says "oh this is a Blahblah 9000" and Eli says "Is it?" even though it's written on there
-He has a nametag in his pack, like a blind kid would to identify themselves in a group
-He puts his sunglasses on much later than everyone else outside
-He stares directly at the sun in at least one scene
-When at Alcatraz he says this "feels" like a museum, not it "looks" like one
-The way certain sounds are enhanced (baby crying, the gunshot when he is shot in the stomach)
-During firefights all his shots are reactionary
-When asked during the house shootout what they're doing he just says "Nothing good", and doesn't duck out of sight until after the big gun starts firing
-Being able to hear\\smell things that no one else can
-He never ventures from roads or solid footing (unless he's going to a house)
-When he comes to a fork in the road, he doesn't even seem to notice and continues on the pavement
-The way he kicks the steps leading up to the isolated house
-The last shot of his eyes showing that they were not "normal"
-He tells the cannibal family he didn't see the sign out front
-When he realizes Solara's mother is blind
-He "reads" in the dark
-When he stops Solara because he hears a bird, and shoots it after it makes a sound, however...

Cons:
-The fact that he shot a bird out of midair, period.
-The way he killed the two guys trying to rape Solara
-The way he looked down at the group of people who attack the two wanderers
-His hand-to-hand fighting skills are too quick and perfect
-The fact that he knows there are cars\\houses at all when he's near them
-The way he stares at Alcatraz off in the distance and indicates that is the place to go
-The fact that he can navigate a boat in the direction of Alcatraz Island
-The fact that he seemed to know there were graves in the backyard of the cannibal's home

That's all I can think of at the moment. I certainly don't think they handled everything perfectly in the buildup to the big "twist", but overall I think they did a fantastic job of hinting at it. I think many were excellently contextualized the first time around, and yet work well once the context changes. Great job by the Hughes'. This was a great, intriguing film. I will be buying this once it drops in price for sure.
post #107 of 139 Old 08-02-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 279
A well-done and very enjoyable movie. Just enough violence to keep it real for the times and not too gory that could turn some off.

Denzel was excellent.

This was one of several journeys by various individuals to save their religion from extinction.

I did not feel I was being preached to.

Spoiler  
Eli did not have divine protection as evidenced by him being shot and ultimately dying from that gunshot wound. He did believe he was divinely protected, however, the shock on his face when he was shot clearly stunned him. Because he believed it was his destiny, he was able to remain alive until he completed the dictation. That he got as far as he did before being mortally wounded shows the power of belief.

Eli was not totally blind. I do believe he may have been what is termed legally blind, but no way could he have done a small amount of what he did were he completely blind. If you look at Eli’s physical and eye movements and compare those to Jennifer Beals, who was completely blind, there is no comparison. While I suspect Jennifer may have been blind from childbirth because she could barely walk into a room without tripping over something and her eyes always looked straight ahead, I believe Eli was partially blinded by the cataclysmic events that happened in 2012. That would explain why he was much more nimble and efficient and she wasn’t. Over the years he adapted to his failing eyesight.

That Eli looked at the book as he read it could be viewed as being deceiving when you view the ending. It could also be said that old habits are hard to break, even 30 years later.

The books on the shelf were: The Secrets of the Saints. The Koran. The Holy Bible: King James Version – the biggest book on the shelf. There were two books on Torah, and another smaller book that had Jews in the title.
post #108 of 139 Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Spoiler  
Eli did not have divine protection as evidenced by him being shot and ultimately dying from that gunshot wound. He did believe he was divinely protected, however, the shock on his face when he was shot clearly stunned him. Because he believed it was his destiny, he was able to remain alive until he completed the dictation. That he got as far as he did before being mortally wounded shows the power of belief.

Spoiler  
I read, either here or somewhere else on the internet, that (according to that person) Eli was protected. He was shot after he gave up the book to Oldman, which could have meant he lost his divine protection for giving the book to the bad guys. That was their theory, anyway.

Personally, I did think he was completely blind and was divinely guided in nearly everything he did. It's the only way I can buy the story as it occurred. For me, it doesn't work any other way due to some of the events that happened, so I'm willing to give up some slack for things like his eyes moving or other instances where it seemed he could see, since I did enjoy the movie. And if the director or writer says otherwise, then I'll just be happy being wrong.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #109 of 139 Old 08-02-2010, 08:33 AM

Liked: 11
Enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would.

Spoiler  
Not sure why people are having a hard time with Eli being blind and being able to do what he does. People tend to forget that "blindness" is not something that is the same for all, some can see blurred shapes and light/contrast between objects while others may see total darkness. Eli just perfected his senses much like this kid does:
&fs=1" width="644" height="390">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&fs=1" />[ATTN POSTER: YouTube Insert Error: Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click 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" target="_blank">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.]
post #110 of 139 Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

reverse, thank you for that truly inspirational link. Kudos to that Mother and Son!

Defend liberty.
post #111 of 139 Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Spoiler  
This is my major complaint with the film.
The hints are very small, until the last act.
What, to me, seemed like a reasonably straight forward, end-of-days, secular shoot 'em up starring a mysterious stranger makes a sudden 90 degree turn to become, essentially, a Christian sermon on faith.
IMO, this was sneaky and disengenous....at best.
There is a time and a place for sermons and it ain't in some big Hollywood Sci-fi.

Oh please, there were no sermons, unless you talking about saying "grace" at the table before diner,and there is nothing sneaky or disingenuous about that.

Spoiler  
Eli was just a courier , if he was someone like a monk, he would not kill anybody.Although it was obvious that he was touched by book's content and he did believe that a voice inside him guides his actions, but he never said it was God. It actually looked like he was K-Mart clerk based on the name tag in his bag. The fact that his journey ended in Alcatraz which seemed it was the last civilized beacon for humanity, yet it wasn't a Church of any kind but more like a library and publishing house. Hardly a religious message there that one should feel threatened by at all. Now Oldman's character on the other hand clearly channeled what we learned from "organized religion" which also include rabid environmentalism, that it is nothing but control over other people's life, simply by exploiting their fear.

The Hun
post #112 of 139 Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

This film was certainly no "Christian sermon". This film brought up important questions and themes for everyone and it while it conveyed the importance of faith and God in society, it certainly didn't do it with bright red roses and a cherry on top. Consider Oldman's dialogue about how the Book is a weapon. I'm actually surprised this movie came from Hollywood and didn't have 90% more "Christianity is an evil farce" speeches like that. I really appreciated the filmmaker's delivery of their material, and the portrayal of faith and God as significant to mankind, while also acknowledging it's many faults through their very hands. It was refreshingly honest and even a bit inspiring.

As for Eli being blind...
Spoiler  
I was having a difficult time with that one until I listed my pros and cons, then it became a bit clearer:

Pros:
-He didn't kill the cat until after it made a sound
-When he searches the skeleton in the car for shoes, rather than just looking for them
-He tells the rat that he's gonna have to come take the food from him
-The way he navigated his way through the first house (pushing dishes to the side, kicking things to move forward)
-The awkward bumping into the table when he went to open the closet
-Not reacting to the dead body, but rather reacting to the sounds the doors made when opened
-His comment about being able to smell bad guys 30 ft away
-The fact that he walks up an ENTIRE bridge with a visible gap in it, and a curved overpass at that (which would steer him away from West if it had been intact)
-When he's walking along the bridge, he doesn't duck out of sight until he hears a noise
-When attacked by the first hijackers, he backs into the tunnel where sound is enhanced
-When fighting in the bar his head is down as if trying to react to light changes (at first I thought this was just Denzel trying to be extra cool)
-When he finds the lighter he checks with his hand to see if there is fire
-When his iPod dies, he presses all the buttons multiple times even though the screen displays "Low Battery" warning
-When he goes to get his iPod recharged, the guy at the counter says "oh this is a Blahblah 9000" and Eli says "Is it?" even though it's written on there
-He has a nametag in his pack, like a blind kid would to identify themselves in a group
-He puts his sunglasses on much later than everyone else outside
-He stares directly at the sun in at least one scene
-When at Alcatraz he says this "feels" like a museum, not it "looks" like one
-The way certain sounds are enhanced (baby crying, the gunshot when he is shot in the stomach)
-During firefights all his shots are reactionary
-When asked during the house shootout what they're doing he just says "Nothing good", and doesn't duck out of sight until after the big gun starts firing
-Being able to hear\\smell things that no one else can
-He never ventures from roads or solid footing (unless he's going to a house)
-When he comes to a fork in the road, he doesn't even seem to notice and continues on the pavement
-The way he kicks the steps leading up to the isolated house
-The last shot of his eyes showing that they were not "normal"
-He tells the cannibal family he didn't see the sign out front
-When he realizes Solara's mother is blind
-He "reads" in the dark
-When he stops Solara because he hears a bird, and shoots it after it makes a sound, however...

Cons:
-The fact that he shot a bird out of midair, period.
-The way he killed the two guys trying to rape Solara
-The way he looked down at the group of people who attack the two wanderers
-His hand-to-hand fighting skills are too quick and perfect
-The fact that he knows there are cars\\houses at all when he's near them
-The way he stares at Alcatraz off in the distance and indicates that is the place to go
-The fact that he can navigate a boat in the direction of Alcatraz Island
-The fact that he seemed to know there were graves in the backyard of the cannibal's home

That's all I can think of at the moment. I certainly don't think they handled everything perfectly in the buildup to the big "twist", but overall I think they did a fantastic job of hinting at it. I think many were excellently contextualized the first time around, and yet work well once the context changes. Great job by the Hughes'. This was a great, intriguing film. I will be buying this once it drops in price for sure.

Very well put.

The Hun
post #113 of 139 Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just saw it today for the first time. I never considered the possibility of him being blind, but he sure seemed to have some extraordinary abilities. This film didn't really grab me (but neither did the original Matrix at first viewing); I need at least one more look at it..

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #114 of 139 Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

Why does Eli have to be blind or legally blind to be able to
?
Why can't a sighted person learn to do it? After all, Eli had good bit of time between the start of his journey to this town.

Spoiler  
Think about this...why have it in Braille at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Oh please, there were no sermons, unless you talking about saying "grace" at the table before diner,and there is nothing sneaky or disingenuous about that.

Spoiler  
Eli was just a courier , if he was someone like a monk, he would not kill anybody.Although it was obvious that he was touched by book's content and he did believe that a voice inside him guides his actions, but he never said it was God. It actually looked like he was K-Mart clerk based on the name tag in his bag. The fact that his journey ended in Alcatraz which seemed it was the last civilized beacon for humanity, yet it wasn't a Church of any kind but more like a library and publishing house. Hardly a religious message there that one should feel threatened by at all. Now Oldman's character on the other hand clearly channeled what we learned from "organized religion" which also include rabid environmentalism, that it is nothing but control over other people's life, simply by exploiting their fear.

Spoiler  
Monk?
I never said anything about a monk...

You are right, he never SAID "God."
This is part of the sneakiness of the movie...to erase the obvious.

Alcatraz is a metaphor for The Last Civilized Place on Earth.

"Exploiting" fear is precisely what organized religion is about.
It is about power...it is about control.

post #115 of 139 Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spoiler  
Think about this...why have it in Braille at all?

It was the last surviving copy. Having it as it was simply made for an interesting plot element as the Hughes brothers chose to tell it...

Defend liberty.
post #116 of 139 Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

It was the last surviving copy. Having it as it was simply made for an interesting plot element as the Hughes brothers chose to tell it...

You beat me to it. There simply wasn't a choice.
Spoiler  
Adaptation (learning to read it) would be a natural process.
post #117 of 139 Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Besides, having the Book be the way it was allowed the plot to include this element:
Spoiler  
Oldman could not access its power even upon stealing it.

Defend liberty.
post #118 of 139 Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spoiler  
Monk?
I never said anything about a monk...

You are right, he never SAID "God."
This is part of the sneakiness of the movie...to erase the obvious.

Alcatraz is a metaphor for The Last Civilized Place on Earth.

Spoiler  
You said sermons, who deliver those grocery clerks?

Erase what obvious, that he was believer of something? Why is that sneaky, why are you threatened by someone's personal beliefs?

The last 2 sentences I already wrote myself in my previous post, I'm not sure why you're repeating it here. We seem to agree on those.

The Hun
post #119 of 139 Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Besides, having the Book be the way it was allowed the plot to include this element:
Spoiler  
Oldman could not access its power even upon stealing it.

Good point.

The Hun
post #120 of 139 Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Spoiler  

That applies to more than one thing. Advertisement and politics to name couple.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page