Remakes! A Discussion and Comparison (face palm in post #155) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 253 Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At what point does a original, however good it was at its time, become dated and in order to attract new viewers to the story, requires a remake / retelling?

I saw Casablanca and Gone with the wind and it did not appear old. But the The Treasure of the Sierra Madre did, and I could not go on beyond the first 30 minutes and I would have a liked to see a modern version.

And there are some films that are pure magic because of the actors involved and no amount of remakes can capture the joy of the original. A classic case would be Roman Holiday - no one can replace Audrey Hepburn's role in that movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 253 Old 09-24-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravichander View Post

At what point does a original, however good it was at its time, become dated and in order to attract new viewers to the story, requires a remake / retelling?

I saw Casablanca and Gone with the wind and it did not appear old. But the The Treasure of the Sierra Madre did, and I could not go on beyond the first 30 minutes and I would have a liked to see a modern version.

And there are some films that are pure magic because of the actors involved and no amount of remakes can capture the joy of the original. A classic case would be Roman Holiday - no one can replace Audrey Hepburn's role in that movie.

I agree that some classic movies start to show their age. I also agree that Casablanca and Gone With the Wind have not lost their impact over the years. I still enjoy The Treasure of the Sierra Madre too, though. It was the first time I had realized that Bogart could use his quirky charisma in a character role just as effectively as he he had done when he played more conventional leading men. I think it's fair to say that there was nothing heroic about Fred C. Dobbs.

In addition to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, I enjoyed Boggie's other collaborations with John Huston. That combination resulted in a remarkable body of work. Among them were the unqualifiedly great, The Maltese Falcon, Huston's first directing job, and The African Queen, for which Boggie won an Oscar.
post #93 of 253 Old 09-24-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 123
remake of a remake.

Cronenberg is developing a remake of his version of The Fly

G0d damn. I thought that film was a masterpiece. Why oh why. Maybe he wants it in 3D

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/23/...id-cronenberg/

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #94 of 253 Old 09-25-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Cronenberg is developing a remake of his version of The Fly/[/url]

That's a surprise and a disappointment. I am very curious to learn more about this; on the surface, it sounds like an awful idea.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #95 of 253 Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I'd really prefer Hollywood to come up with some fresh, new ideas rather than remakes. That's not to say there haven't been good remakes, but to me, it seems like a safe way for them to make money and nothing else. It's actually almost an insult when you think about it that way.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #96 of 253 Old 09-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Now wait a little minute....'Dredd was Rocky....in space! I love this movie; from Rob Schneider's comic relief, to Dredd's constantly rebooting bike, to the 'cannibal brothers'; hilarious stuff. JD is fabulously over-the-top! I hope no one took this movie very seriously...

Now if they want to do a mature take on it, why not?

Judge Dredd took place in space? I missed that one. I thought it was just earth in the future?
post #97 of 253 Old 09-25-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I am not a young person, so I have seen the originals of most of the movies that are being remade, and for me, I agree with the young people that say the movies made today are better.

I agree that the pictures, effects, sound, etc are all better.

I also agree that many "great" pictures from the 1950's thru the 1970's now really do seem dated when i watch them, and i like the new ones better.

I love sci-fi, action, and horror, and sci-fi years ago was just hokey, and horror years ago seems SO old and dated with bad special effects and lacking the great sounds that make movies today more horrific. Action too just wasnt as exciting.

Some movies DO hold up well though, as i just watched the original 3 Star Wars movies, and they all hold up really well, but would they be as good if they were made 10 or 15 years before they were.

For a movie with just a lot of people talking, like a Citizen Kane, then no, modern updating wouldnt do anything for that, but for action and sci-fi and horror, while the plots and dialog may not be quite as good in the remakes, for me, the improvement in visuals and sound overcome the negatives.

never take life seriously
post #98 of 253 Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have an up to the minute report on remakes because I saw the latest one, Fame, earlier today. This remake is decidedly inferior to the 1980 original, both musically and dramatically. I didn't hate it but I was underwhelmed, nevertheless. The plot, what there was of it, was saccharin and predictable and the music forgettable. 6 out of 10 Stars. In fairness to the remake, I should report that my 16 year old grandson saw it with me and gave it 7.5 out of 10 Stars.
post #99 of 253 Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Prove Marty Feldman wrong.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076297/
post #100 of 253 Old 09-26-2009, 08:36 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

I heard on XM yesterday there is a Footloose remake coming.

Stephen.

post #101 of 253 Old 09-26-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I heard on XM yesterday there is a Footloose remake coming.

Ya.. Zac Efron was the supposed lead, but I think Chace Crawford is now? Who knows? Better yet, who cares? lol
post #102 of 253 Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Better yet, who cares? lol

Hahaha....you got that right.

Stephen.

post #103 of 253 Old 09-28-2009, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Swiss Family Robinson (2012), from the director of Terminator 3, U-571, and the recent Surrogates.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465633/

I know I give\
eceive some flack for older films (or 'classics' as some refer to them as :P), but this is one instance where I'm on the other side as I loved the original and still do.
post #104 of 253 Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Swiss Family Robinson (2102)

Well, it should be good considering how much time they have.

Stephen.

post #105 of 253 Old 09-28-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I loved the original but wouldn't mind seeing a more adult version where they don't ride ostriches and instead of booby traps that simply embarrass the pirates they actually set up some stuff to kill them.
post #106 of 253 Old 09-28-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio View Post

Judge Dredd took place in space? I missed that one. I thought it was just earth in the future?

Well...it was on Earth, but saying, "in space!" just sounds more dramatic.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #107 of 253 Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
A Nightmare On Elm Street remake is now coming. Trailers have popped up!

"Me Personally, I want to slay the dragon"
post #108 of 253 Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Romero's 'The Crazies' remake trailer now online:
http://www.filmjunk.com/2009/10/02/t...othy-olyphant/
post #109 of 253 Old 10-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

That's because you are young. The same holds true in music. Many groups do covers of older songs but the generation listening does not realize it's a cover because they were never exposed to the original (unless you seek out all forms of music and movies - old and new/mainstream and indie/domestic and foreign - to expand your knowledge base and enjoyment).

Exactly.

For me when I saw Ransom I thought it was a little above average - only YEARS later did I know it was a remake of a 50's film with Glen Ford (oneof the best actors ever!) when I saw the last 5-minutes on AMC.

To the best of my knowledge I still cannot rent the original (I looked a few years ago and it did not exist on DVD/Tape - have not checked recently).

310 to Yuma original with Glen is alot better than the remake with Crow (why? Glens character was likeable, Crow's was not) the only reason the original was better - because I cared more about his fate in the original.

If the original is "perfect" - like Harvey, Machurian Candidate, Pysho, etc.............I simply refuse to go see the remake. There is no need.
post #110 of 253 Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I can't get excited about a Red Dawn remake, either. I thought the 1984 original was a dog. Its premise, a surprise invasion of the United States repulsed by teenagers, was nonsense then and I can't imagine how a remake could make it any less so now.

Gawd I couldn't agree more! I was a teenager when I saw that dog in a theater in Denver. By tow buddys loved it and I though it was "silly premise, a suprise invasion of the US repulsed by teenagers".

thought it silly then and think it silly now.

Two far better movies: Full Metal Jacket (the best one) and Platoon (a little too preachy but good) showed up a couple of years latter thank God.

Nine Queens is another example of remake WTF? - heard the remake was crap and since I allready was/have the original which was "perfect" there was no reason to see the turkey American remake staring Brad Pitt.

I remember when Pitt was in fabulous movies - Kalifornia - WTH happened?
post #111 of 253 Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Of course, the USSR is no longer a threat so it's a product of its times.

Huh? Did the Russians disarm the 5000 ICBMs with nukes which can reach mainland US in 30 minutes?

Why have I not been told of this?
post #112 of 253 Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

The Exorcist. The Alpha and Omega of horror. But that Version You've Never Seen (and I wish I hadn't) takes a classic and nearly ruins it!

??? could you clarify? what version sucked?
post #113 of 253 Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post

??? could you clarify? what version sucked?

What where the differences in the two versions of The Exorcist and the one "that you've never seen"??

never take life seriously
post #114 of 253 Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

What where the differences in the two versions of The Exorcist and the one "that you've never seen"??

??

Well I saw the Original many times over the years and have a VHS tape of it.

I saw 1/2 of Exorcist 2 with R. Burton on TV years ago - an utter Turkey.

I've seen Exorcist 3 many times - have the DVD - and is the best of the bunch.

I rented the "directors" verion of Exorcist 4 - utter Turkey: this is the one that was suposedly more creepy and less gory than the theatrical release of Exoricist 4 (which I didn't bother to see since the "directors" version was a Zero Star).

- maybe the criptic referal to "version that you've never seen" is to the DVD version of the original verions showing the walking down the stairs backwards clip left out of the theatrical release? I don't know, that is why I'm asking. not sure how putting on one small clip would make a classic into a turkey though ;-/.
post #115 of 253 Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

310 to Yuma original with Glen is alot better than the remake with Crow (why? Glens character was likeable, Crow's was not) the only reason the original was better - because I cared more about his fate in the original.

If the original is "perfect" - like Harvey, Machurian Candidate, Pysho, etc.............I simply refuse to go see the remake. There is no need.

I like both versions of 3:10 to Yuma about equally. I don't think either is a masterpiece but both are very good. Interestingly, IMDb voters seem to feel the same way, having given the 1957 version an average vote of 7.7 and the 2007 version a 7.9.
post #116 of 253 Old 10-08-2009, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I found the Mel Gibson version of RANSOM to be quite exhalirating and entertaining. It was well paced, well acted, and very engaging. I havent seen the original admittedly, but I was very happy with this 90's film and think it stands quite well on it's own even today and even knowing it's a remake.
post #117 of 253 Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Gear up for the Hawaii Five-O remake from the famed writing duo of Orci and Kurtzman. It will be a TV series on CBS apparently.
http://www.filmjunk.com/2009/10/09/k...five-o-remake/
post #118 of 253 Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

- maybe the criptic referal to "version that you've never seen" is to the DVD version of the original verions showing the walking down the stairs backwards clip left out of the theatrical release? I don't know, that is why I'm asking. not sure how putting on one small clip would make a classic into a turkey though ;-/.

"The Exorcist" was released in 1973. It was re-released in 2000 under the official title "The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen". The re-release added 10 minutes of pointless new footage, including that spider-walk and an absolutely terrible new ending.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #119 of 253 Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

"The Exorcist" was released in 1973. It was re-released in 2000 under the official title "The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen". The re-release added 10 minutes of pointless new footage, including that spider-walk and an absolutely terrible new ending.

The spider-walk was one of the creepier moments in the film, imo.. a great addition. The rest, as you said, was pointless.
post #120 of 253 Old 10-15-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

'The Mechanic' remake by Simon West starring Jason Statham just received two great supporting cast members.. Ben Foster and Donald Sutherland. Looking rather interesting, imo:
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/10/15/...chanic-remake/
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page