Remakes! A Discussion and Comparison (face palm in post #155) - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 253 Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mx4 Director Sean Durkin will write and directed the series.

"Sean Durkin, the writer-director of last year's excellent but criminally underseen Elizabeth Olsen thriller Martha Marcy May Marlene, is adapting the fiendish classic into a ten-episode television series, this time backed by Morgan Creek and produced by Roy Lee, the executive producer of films like The Departed and The Ring."

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 253 Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Great! Now instead of remaking a movie into another movie, they're basically remaking it into 5 movies. If Blatty and Friedkin tried now to do the Exorcist again they couldn't do better than what they did in '73.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #243 of 253 Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
This is no joke:

The movie franchise having grossed over $2 billion with a fifth installment still on the way on November 16th, Lionsgate (which owns "Twilight" studio Summit Entertainment) is reportedly considering restarting the franchise down the road.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91609
post #244 of 253 Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With a new Total Recall out this summer, and remakes of RoboCop and Starship Troopers announced/being made, I guess the latest trend (or fad) is to redo Paul Verhoeven's gloriously R-rated movies into more "family friendly" PG-13 versions. The success of Marvels comic-book movies, the Transformers series and Avatar had obviously inspired a legion of shameless movie execs into doing this. The new Total Recall clearly is very much like in the style of Minority Report, the RoboCop remake looks to be an Ironman ripoff, and now I figure the new Starship Troopers will be done in the style of Avatar and the Avengers.

I'm betting that the next Verhoeven remake will be Basic Instinct. Hey, why not have a controversy-free PG-13 murder-sex thriller? biggrin.gif
post #245 of 253 Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The money grab era.

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #246 of 253 Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I am totally sick of PG-13 movies that would be so much better in rated R. Also, as I said in the Prometheus thread, I feel a lot of "R" rated movies dont even deserve the "R" rating based on the way our society is today. This is crap.

I still say with multiplexes (we have a 23-screen theater and a 13-screen theater within 7 minutes of us), why not film the movie as R, dumb it down to PG-13, and put both in the multiplex and let people go to whichever.

never take life seriously
post #247 of 253 Old 07-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I am totally sick of PG-13 movies that would be so much better in rated R. Also, as I said in the Prometheus thread, I feel a lot of "R" rated movies dont even deserve the "R" rating based on the way our society is today. This is crap.
I still say with multiplexes (we have a 23-screen theater and a 13-screen theater within 7 minutes of us), why not film the movie as R, dumb it down to PG-13, and put both in the multiplex and let people go to whichever.
Quote:
•The top four movies of all time (Avatar, Titanic, The Avengers and The Dark Knight) are PG-13 movies.

•Nineteen of the top 30 movies of all time are PG-13.

•54 of the Top 100 Movies of All Time are PG-13.

•9 of the Top 100 Movies of All Time are G Rated.

•30 of the Top 100 Movies of All Time are PG Rated

•7 of the Top 100 Movies of All time are R-Rated

•The Highest Grossing NC-17 Movie of All Time (Showgirls) is only the 2706th highest grossing movie ever.

•Between 1995 and 2012, PG-13 movies had an average box-office Gross of $42 million; the average for G-Rated movies was $38 million; the average for PG-Rated movies was $37 million, and the average gross for R-Rated movies was $15 million.

•From 1995 to 2011, 3,400 R-Rated movies were released in theaters; 1900 PG-13 Rated movies were released in theaters; 930 PG-Rated films, and 238 G-Rated films were released in theaters.

http://www.pajiba.com/box_office_round-ups/which-mpaa-rating-leads-to-the-highest-grossing-films-.php

They don't release movies in two different MPAA ratings. It just isn't done. Sometimes movies are re-released later in time and the MPAA rating changes (Like MIDNIGHT COWBOY - originally NC17 - re-released as R)

Hollywood is in the buiness of making money and PG13 movies make more money than R rated movies. Simple as that.

You can compare MPAA rated films and how much they earned (per rating) at the USA BO here:

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/?view2=mpaa&chart=byyear&yr=2012&view=releasedate&p=.htm
post #248 of 253 Old 10-25-2012, 04:22 PM

Liked: 44
Arnold Schwarzenegger to Reprise Barbarian Role in THE LEGEND OF CONAN Reboot

http://collider.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-legend-of-conan/206312/
post #249 of 253 Old 11-06-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Warner Bros. considering Casablanca sequel!

http://collider.com/casablanca-2-sequel/208708/

...it's probably just a bad dream and I'm about to wake up!
post #250 of 253 Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Warner Bros. considering Casablanca sequel!
http://collider.com/casablanca-2-sequel/208708/
...it's probably just a bad dream and I'm about to wake up!
WTF?
I hate those greedy basterds from WB.mad.gifrolleyes.gif

What's next, a Citizen Kane sequel?
Charles Foster Kane returns from the grave thru the divine intervention of Ayn Rand and continues his assault on the American media, eventually becoming a role model for Rupert Murdoch?
Oh wait...that sounds like a plot with legs....tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #251 of 253 Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Umm, yeah, Oink. You shouldn't give out such great plot ideas out in the open like that.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #252 of 253 Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

WTF?
What's next, a Citizen Kane sequel?
Charles Foster Kane returns from the grave thru the divine intervention of Ayn Rand and continues his assault on the American media, eventually becoming a role model for Rupert Murdoch?
Oh wait...that sounds like a plot with legs....tongue.gif

'Alien Kane' – The trans-dimensional media baron Char'les Floomquad K'ane (because if there’s one thing that sci-fi movies and TV shows have taught us, it’s that all alien names are filled with pointless apostrophes), one of the richest and most powerful humanoid creatures in the solar system, dies alone in his Martian mansion. An artificially-intelligent search engine program digs into his past to seek the meaning of the tycoon’s enigmatic last word, "Rosebud." Spoiler Alert: It’s the name of his favorite childhood hoverboard. This will be the 'Citizen Kane' of sci-fi movies… literally!

(I wrote this for something else several months ago, but it seemed worth posting here too.)

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #253 of 253 Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

'Alien Kane' – The trans-dimensional media baron Char'les Floomquad K'ane (because if there’s one thing that sci-fi movies and TV shows have taught us, it’s that all alien names are filled with pointless apostrophes), one of the richest and most powerful humanoid creatures in the solar system, dies alone in his Martian mansion. An artificially-intelligent search engine program digs into his past to seek the meaning of the tycoon’s enigmatic last word, "Rosebud." Spoiler Alert: It’s the name of his favorite childhood hoverboard. This will be the 'Citizen Kane' of sci-fi movies… literally!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

...but next time please use spoiler tags!!
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page