‘Red Dawn remake starring Tom Cruise’s son - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 08-10-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Full article here.

Access Hollywood
updated 2:48 p.m. CT, Mon., Aug 10, 2009
LOS ANGELES - Tom Cruise's son is getting ready to for battle.

Connor Cruise will star in the remake of the 1984 film Red Dawn, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Also joining the 14-year-old Cruise as soldier-fighting Wolverines in the remake are Isabel Lucas, Josh Hutcherson and Edwin Hodge.
.....

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 08-10-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
b.greenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my fill of remakes. Rather watch the original on Blu-ray

/get off my lawn
b.greenway is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 129
In the remake thread I posted that I actually looked forward to remakes because they usually are based of a previously good story and have a chance to be great movies. This, in my opinion, doesn't qualify.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is online now  
post #4 of 31 Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Have to admit I enjoyed the original, it had a great cast. I will give this new one a look.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 08-11-2009, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TomsHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 4,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway View Post

I've had my fill of remakes. Rather watch the original on Blu-ray

/get off my lawn

+1

The original cast makes this movie. I would rather see the original re-mastered and released on BR.
TomsHT is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 08-11-2009, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

+1

The original cast makes this movie. I would rather see the original re-mastered and released on BR.

+1 would love too see that too.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 08-11-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IAM4UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 6,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just watched the original for the first time ever last week. It had its moments, but was definitely a product of its times. Will the remake be set in the cold war era, with the Soviets as the Big Bad? Or, will the remake have the Wolverines fighting terrorists?

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
IAM4UK is online now  
post #8 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
homerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ramsey, MN
Posts: 4,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure how a remake could be made based now. theirs not really any one who could overpower the US like the USSR. maybe NK or china.. at least some one who could become an enemy. maybe it starts when canada bombs the baldwins home
homerx is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

I'm not sure how a remake could be made based now. theirs not really any one who could overpower the US like the USSR. maybe NK or china.. at least some one who could become an enemy. maybe it starts when canada bombs the baldwins home

If the title is to fit, then you'd think it would have to be a communist country invading. It will be interesting to see what they do, but I'm not getting any hopes up.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jones07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Phila Pa.
Posts: 4,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Deleted post
I guess my post was overboard 'for this forum' about plot ideas huh?

Understood

But you have to admit it would sell

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
jones07 is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

I'm not sure how a remake could be made based now. theirs not really any one who could overpower the US like the USSR. maybe NK or china.. at least some one who could become an enemy. maybe it starts when canada bombs the baldwins home

Canada?

mproper is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IAM4UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 6,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Where the threat Larry mentioned is coming from is sadly obvious, but one cannot say it here.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
IAM4UK is online now  
post #13 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jones07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Phila Pa.
Posts: 4,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Where the threat Larry mentioned is coming from is sadly obvious, but one cannot say it here.

Right on both counts

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
jones07 is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Just watched the original for the first time ever last week. It had its moments, but was definitely a product of its times. Will the remake be set in the cold war era, with the Soviets as the Big Bad? Or, will the remake have the Wolverines fighting terrorists?

The Chinese, it's in the link.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Canada?



Not a South Park fan?

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
IS that kid adopted? he looks nothing like Cruise.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

IS that kid adopted? he looks nothing like Cruise.

Maybe he inherited his looks from his mother, Nicole Kidman. Or did he?

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #18 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 19,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Cruise's two children from the marriage with Nicole Kidman were adopted. He didn't biologically father a child until the Katie Holmes affair. Likewise, Kidman's first biological child is the one she had with Keith Urban.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
 
Daniel Hutnicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: On the Internet
Posts: 6,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Cruise's two children from the marriage with Nicole Kidman were adopted. He didn't biologically father a child until the Katie Holmes affair. Likewise, Kidman's first biological child is the one she had with Keith Urban.

I always thought that was strange
Daniel Hutnicki is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Natick MA
Posts: 17,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
BTW- Red Dawn (the original) in on MGM-HD this month.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 08-13-2009, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigbare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My guess is the new one will be a bunch of fight scenes overdone with effects with a few scenes of dialouge thrown in. More than likely missing the whole idea and point of the original. Now a fully remastered original on blu ray would be good.

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
bigbare is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 08-13-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Maybe he inherited his looks from his mother, Nicole Kidman. Or did he?

Apparently not.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 09-15-2009, 02:15 PM
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42366

Looks like the terrorist premise is most likely giving these pics from the set..
lwright84 is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 10-01-2009, 01:56 PM
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was close, looks like it's going to have a Chinese slant to it (no pun intended):
http://www.reddawn2010.com/
lwright84 is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
johnathanwinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if china is involved then it should be a pretty short flick.
600 million chinese invade the U.S.
Resistance if futile!
They rename it the U.S.C.
end of movie.

The remake of Red Dawn is going to be lame.
johnathanwinter is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 10-02-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanwinter View Post

if china is involved then it should be a pretty short flick.
600 million chinese invade the U.S.
Resistance if futile!
They rename it the U.S.C.
end of movie.

Even shorter. They'll just call the note we owe them and its over before you can blink an eye.
Aliens is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 03-08-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Watched this yesterday.

As a big fan of the original it isn't terrible. It's not perfect either. Its biggest flaw was the urban setting, at least in contrasting it with the original. Several scenes and lines are nearly identical and it had some stirring moments early on. Jeffery Dean Morgan was perfectly cast as Tanner (Powers Booth) and the explanation of the invasion was equally explained here as in the original. There isn't enough of him sadly. The kids are ok and representative of current youth but I never believed any of them in real life would dig as deep as they did in the movie. The plausibility is there but very low. Some accurate ideas are floated in the opening of the movie regarding the war but not much else is there. At the end of the day it was enjoyable and a worthy rental to fans of the classic film but it lacked heart in my opinion as many remakes do.

If you've seen Tomorrow, When the War Began it is easily as good but it has an edge over Red Dawn 2012.
darthrsg is online now  
post #28 of 31 Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Watched this yesterday.

As a big fan of the original it isn't terrible. It's not perfect either. Its biggest flaw was the urban setting, at least in contrasting it with the original. Several scenes and lines are nearly identical and it had some stirring moments early on. Jeffery Dean Morgan was perfectly cast as Tanner (Powers Booth) and the explanation of the invasion was equally explained here as in the original. There isn't enough of him sadly. The kids are ok and representative of current youth but I never believed any of them in real life would dig as deep as they did in the movie. The plausibility is there but very low. Some accurate ideas are floated in the opening of the movie regarding the war but not much else is there. At the end of the day it was enjoyable and a worthy rental to fans of the classic film but it lacked heart in my opinion as many remakes do.

If you've seen Tomorrow, When the War Began it is easily as good but it has an edge over Red Dawn 2012.
I saw it a couple days ago as well and thought it was inferior to the original. The biggest issue I had with it was the portrayal of their life trying to survive starving and with limited resources. It seems the new version wanted to eliminate that element from story via a single ambush. I also didn't care for the urban setting.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #29 of 31 Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr. Hanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Did they swipe the premise from this game (2010)?: tongue.gif

I only bring it up because it is such a great trailer for a videogame.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Mr. Hanky is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Did they swipe the premise from this game (2010)?: tongue.gif

I only bring it up because it is such a great trailer for a videogame.
The guy who wrote Red Dawn (original) helped write that game.
darthrsg is online now  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off