Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Have you thought about just adding another PJ - one that will be 3D ready, at a cost considerabily less than the RS1 you have? The amount of 3D content will pale compared to HD content.

Sure, but what options are there that would be considerably less? I am curious to find out exactly what options there will be.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3536 Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And possibly have to change the white screen to a silver screen to enhance the contrast and light output back to the viewer.

I thought with the tech that was decided upon for bringing this to BR(stereoscopic?) that a silver screen was not needed.....is this not true?

post #723 of 3536 Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Sure, but what options are there that would be considerably less? I am curious to find out exactly what options there will be.

Post #879

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...790210&page=30

And CES is less than 3 weeks away.
post #724 of 3536 Old 12-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Post #879

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...790210&page=30

And CES is less than 3 weeks away.

Thanks. I saw that list but I guess I am confused. None of these are 1080p right? Also, I noticed these are all DLP and it says LCD is not compatible.......wont there be other options besides DLP? Curious to see what CES brings.

post #725 of 3536 Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:

I thought with the tech that was decided upon for bringing this to BR(stereoscopic?) that a silver screen was not needed.....is this not true?

At this time, the only 3D Projection systems are single 3D ready PJ's - see above link. When you put on glasses be they active shutter or polarized, you will cut down on some of the light that reaches the eye. For a display like a PDP or an LCD, they can generate much more light than a light bouncing back off of a screen due to their smaller size and technology.

It will depend on the size of your screen and the throw distance from the PJ to the screen. Like a said - a possibility - not a fact.
post #726 of 3536 Old 12-21-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I saw that list but I guess I am confused. None of these are 1080p right? Also, I noticed these are all DLP and it says LCD is not compatible.......wont there be other options besides DLP? Curious to see what CES brings.

No 1080P yet. And yes - they are all DLP because TI invented a 3D system for their DLP chip. No one else has (LCD or LCOS) for their chips.
post #727 of 3536 Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for all the info Lee Curious to see what CES brings.

post #728 of 3536 Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the info Lee Curious to see what CES brings.

LOTS of 3D demos/equipment/announcements - that is for sure.

The one thing that will be missing IMO - OLED. The technology just isn't moving forward as fast as the CEMs want it to. They keep running into issues with making large OLED panels.
post #729 of 3536 Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

That's why picking 2 more nominations for this year's Best Visual Effects is going to be a mere formality. If there is a better bet than Up for Best Animated Film, it's Avatar for visual effects.

D9 was better in every way. And it did for less than 1/10 the budget.
post #730 of 3536 Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 PM
rto
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I'm just going to see if everyone agrees with me on one thing. The most difficult thing to reproduce with CGI is human beings or humanoid beings correct? Also, do you agree that the cinematography can really assist in how easy it is to create a more convincing CGI character? Example, low light, night scenes, rain, etc... They can hide imperfections better than natural looking sunny daylight. Also, film grain is another way to hide imperfect CGI. This is my thinking. Avatar is not using any of the tricks of the trade that other films have used over the years. They shot it as if they were on the planet and under every type of lighting possible and it is an amazingly clean presentation. That's something I've yet to see another film do and look anywhere close to bring as convincing as Avatar.

The prawn in D9 were very convincing, but it's ludicrous to compare the task of replicating insect mouth parts to aliens with a full panoply of subtle emotional facial expressions essentially indistinguishable from our own. The two tasks aren't even in the same ballpark, and the relative difficulty of what Cameron was attempting in this film is stratospheric by comparison. I loved the delicious irony and twisted humor in D9, but in terms of technical challenge and ambition, there's really no comparison between these two films.
post #731 of 3536 Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 58
This movie was pretty to look at. Not much else particularly positive to say about it. Fairly middling in most other respects.

Twenty three years ago Cameron directed Aliens and in that movie there was a final standoff battle scene where one character utilizes a contraption similar to one used in Avatar. That final scene in Aliens was more excitng in every way than the one in Avatar. Actually, practically every element in Cameron's Aliens was more effective than what he's given us in Avatar.

Too bad.

I don't suppose there's any chance of Hollywood dumping this whole CGI nonsense and getting back to making more really good movies again...
post #732 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Master 128 View Post

You don't think these look hands-down, better than Gollum? The Na'vi are the most photo-realistic CGI characters to ever grace the screen, IMO.

As much as I admire how long and hard JC worked on the CGI for Avatar, and the monumental task of making CGI humanoids look believable, I still cannot say that they are the most realistic CGI creations I've seen on screen, and that first shot looks great. To me District 9 holds that crown. Yes, the task was easier, but that's not important. It's the results that are. We can make excuses all day about blue skin, alien world, and what have you, but at the end of the day, the aliens in D9 looked damn real. The ones in Avatar didn't. Extremely impressive yes, but not real and certainly not photo realistic. These guys are photo realistic to me.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #733 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 AM

Liked: 12
The aliens in D9 are exceptional (Even if you dont consider the 'budget'), no doubt, but you're comparing apples to oranges, as I have already explained twice now and others have weighed in on as well.
post #734 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Twenty three years ago Cameron directed Aliens and in that movie there was a final standoff battle scene where one character utilizes a contraption similar to one used in Avatar. That final scene in Aliens was more excitng in every way than the one in Avatar.

I thought it was pretty equal. I was probably 13 when I saw Aliens and I thought that Power Loader was the Cat's Meow. I built several versions of it out of Lego. The movies we watched and the music we listened to during our formative years somehow sticks with us more. As I age, I'm whining increasingly about mainstream music whereas before I lapped it all up. So I'm curious what a kid might think of Aliens.

For the record, I never grew up with Star Wars and when I saw in its entirety several years ago, it was nothing special. Just like The Exorcist is not really scary. Pinhead made me crap my pants instead.
post #735 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

I thought it was pretty equal. I was probably 13 when I saw Aliens and I thought that Power Loader was the Cat's Meow. I built several versions of it out of Lego. The movies we watched and the music we listened to during our formative years somehow sticks with us more. As I age, I'm whining increasingly about mainstream music whereas before I lapped it all up. So I'm curious what a kid might think of Aliens.

For the record, I never grew up with Star Wars and when I saw in its entirety several years ago, it was nothing special. Just like The Exorcist is not really scary. Pinhead made me crap my pants instead.

Well, you need to watch EXORCIST III, a fine sequel to the original (forget EXORCIST II - everyone hated it, which is one reason I've never seen it). And bring an extra pair of underwear for one scene in particular. Don't wait for the scene, just sit down and watch the movie and relax and get into it. You'll know which scene I mean.

And don't Google to find out what I'm talking about and thus spoil the fun for you. Just borrow or rent or buy the DVD (cheap) and watch it.
post #736 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 06:23 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

The aliens in D9 are exceptional (Even if you dont consider the 'budget'), no doubt, but you're comparing apples to oranges, as I have already explained twice now and others have weighed in on as well.

That's ok....you can all be wrong together.

***Listen to me talking smack, and I haven't even seen Avatar yet. I'll see it soon, though. Probably next week, then I'll come back and tell you all how this movie was an over hyped theme park ride that will ultimately end up being nothing but home theater food in a year.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #737 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

That's ok....you can all be wrong together.

***Listen to me talking smack, and I haven't even seen Avatar yet. I'll see it soon, though. Probably next week, then I'll come back and tell you all how this movie was an over hyped theme park ride that will ultimately end up being nothing but home theater food in a year.

B b b but James Cameron directed Avatar...b b b but the skin is blu b b b b the 3D effects.

D9 takes the cake. We win.
post #738 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Pie View Post

B b b but James Cameron directed Avatar...b b b but the skin is blu b b b b the 3D effects.

DISTRICT 9 had 1) good acting all around, 2) an original story (for the most part), 3) gritty realism, 4) an interesting hero/antihero, and 5) effects that looked quite realistic.

AVATAR has 5) (for the most part) + 3D. And it's overlong by about 30-40 minutes, IMO.

YMMV
post #739 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Hmmmm....I don't know if we're not comparing apples to oranges (2D vs. 3D).

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #740 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

They are, they apparently just dont know that they are. Some are even too concerned with thinking up irrelevant and non-sensical retorts to even begin to comprehend it.
post #741 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Pie View Post

why are you trying so hard to get people not to like avatar? if you are not it sure seems like you are....

i'm about to watch district 9 and i will then decide which on i liked the best but either way i thought avatar was a great movie and i thought the effect was very well done and that's all i care about. i don't care what other people says about any of the movies i like.

"I believe, that whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you....Stranger" - Joker
post #742 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 08:27 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

True, but ultimately Avatar will be a 2D movie when you consider the ratio of 2D theaters to 3D theaters and the home video market that will only view it that way (in 2D).

Stephen.

post #743 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post

why are you trying so hard to get people not to like avatar? if you are not it sure seems like you are....

i'm about to watch district 9 and i will then decide which on i liked the best but either way i thought avatar was a great movie and i thought the effect was very well done and that's all i care about. i don't care what other people says about any of the movies i like.

Most of the discussion comparing D9 to Avatar has been about the CGI. While I'm still waiting to see Avatar, I think I know enough about it to say that it and D9 are two vastly different movies, with D9 possibly catering to a more specific audience. If I had to guess, WAY more people will like Avatar than D9.

Stephen.

post #744 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

he just seemed to me like he is trying to get people in this thread not to like avatar.
maybe i'm wrong though

"I believe, that whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you....Stranger" - Joker
post #745 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 08:50 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

he just seemed to me like he is trying to get people in this thread not to like avatar.
maybe i'm wrong though

Far be it for me to speak for someone on the internet, but I don't think that's his intent at all. I think he's just giving his honest opinions without sugarcoating anything.

Stephen.

post #746 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

maybe i'm wrong though

You find people doing that on all movie forums. I don't get it either. When I don't like a film, I state my opinion, and then just try to move on. I don't try to make fun of the people who like it.

David Budo
post #747 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:

True, but ultimately Avatar will be a 2D movie when you consider the ratio of 2D theaters to 3D theaters and the home video market that will only view it that way (in 2D).

Sorry - Avatar is playing (in the USA) in more 3D theater than 2D theaters.

EDIT:

Quote:
Commercially, "Avatar" appears on track as well. Its first-weekend domestic gross clocked in at $77 million, which was several million dollars higher than the studio's Sunday estimate. It remains to be seen whether it will attract the repeat business that floated "Titanic's" boat week to week. It's worth noting, though, that moviegoers showed a preference for seeing the movie in 3D -- 72% of the opening-weekend take came from 3D screens, 13% from Imax 3D screens. Since there's still a relatively limited number of 3D and Imax screens in play, that suggests the movie will play like an old-fashioned, leggy blockbuster, rather than the one- or two-weekend wonders of the standard superwide release, with moviegoers lining up for the available screens.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...c0e8f768154290
post #748 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In all due respect Stephen why even see the film? It sounds like you have already made up your mind on this film from most of your posts before even seeing it.

post #749 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

[/i][/b]

In all due respect Stephen why even see the film? It sounds like you have already made up your mind on this film from most of your posts before even seeing it.

Exactly.
Looking just at the stills and declaring one is better than the other is not really proper. You have to see the facial expressions, lip movements of the Na'vi people to really appreciate how well it was done.
Compared to that, CGI of aliens not looking like humans is fairly simple.

post #750 of 3536 Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

[/i][/b]

Leave Stefan alone.

And to everyone saying I;m trying to crap on this thread or there taste I'm not in the least. I said more than once it was a great movie experience and I would tell anyone to at least go see it in 3D.

My beef comes into play with people hailing it as the best CGI to date or trying to compare the mediocre derivative story to other more adept derivative stories.

In this case D9 represents both to me. It had better and more realistic effects (some that I didn't even realize were CGI until I read posts on here...cant say the same for avatar which was blatantly CG and easy to spot) and the story, while also derivative, was executed in an unique way through more interesting characters, better acting and overall better atmosphere.

Thats all. Avatar is great otherwise. I may take my wife to see it tonight.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page