Avatar (same thread new title) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This might be my first IMAX film in Oklahoma CIty since we finally got a IMAX theater last month..worth it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 05:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Pie View Post

Ahhh so again, someone doesn't agree with you so its plainly because of some fault of there own...

Ahhh so again, ignoring every single other meaningful thing so that only your slim interpretation exists..
post #903 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

This might be my first IMAX film in Oklahoma CIty since we finally got a IMAX theater last month..worth it???

3D IMAX? Absolutely. You won't regret it.
post #904 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Do you really want to open that can of worms? I think Avatar has had more debate than it merits already so I'll respectfully decline to comment on the stupid physics.

...?!?!

You are absolutely dumb-founding.

It's a freaking FANTASY WORLD that came from the MIND OF JAMES CAMERON that DOESNT EXIST. Stupid physics? Are you kidding me? The physics can be whatever the hell they want because they belong to the world that was created.

/facepalm
post #905 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:

The land which floats has a high concentration of the Unobtainium, which is a highly magnetic superconductor. This is what causes the land mass to raise as the magnetic field of Pandora and the Unobtainium filled land are at polar opposites. I believe this is the explanation. They aren't magically floating.

Although I really enjoyed this movie, I think some additional explanation regarding the physics of this world would have been highly beneficial. As a person who avidly tracks the fields of astrobiology and astrophysics (particularly exoplanetary science), I was keenly awaiting comments or explanations on what I was seeing, such as the floating land masses referenced above. But the movie did not provide many answers, at least to my satisfaction. I'm not saying the movie had to go into excruciating technical detail, just provide a bit more information on the nature of this world. This could have done in a few sentences sprinkled throughout the periodic narration sequences. An extra 30 or 40 seconds of dialog at strategic points could have gone a long way toward a more complete understanding of this fascinating world.
post #906 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Well, it's been lost in the "My Prawn is better looking than your Blue Cat Person!" debate here by a couple of members, and it was hinted at by a couple of nice posts by raaj, but I've been surprised by the amount of discussion the movie is generating amongst the non-"movie/sci fi geek" crowd. Although, I don't buy into all of Cameron's "progressive" messages he telegraphs thoughout the movie and the overall theme, I've been enjoying reading how people are intelligently reacting to them. And, of course, I can respect that he would actually attempt to make a point, no matter how simplistic I personally may find it, in a $200 million dollar movie. As opposed to say, showing dogs humping or robots with swinging balls.

Jim
post #907 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

...?!?!

You are absolutely dumb-founding.

It's a freaking FANTASY WORLD that came from the MIND OF JAMES CAMERON that DOESNT EXIST. Stupid physics? Are you kidding me? The physics can be whatever the hell they want because they belong to the world that was created.

/facepalm

Not to butt in(but I have anyway),but it is seriously funny that someone would bring up how the laws of physics work on a Sci/Fictional world. It kind of makes you wonder if people understand why the word "Science" is placed before fiction. Someone, very close to me, once said to me that they could'nt really enjoy fiction because they never "learned" how to develop their imagination. Talk about being dumb-founded(& a bit saddened),and at a loss for words! I could only respond by suggesting that there are'nt any rules for imagination & that whatever mental images you see are'nt correct or incorrect, they're just your individual mental scenario of what is presented to you. Another completely different take is that the poster was actually one of the people forced to leave the planet. In that case they would have first hand knowledge of how the laws of physics apply to that planet. That being the case"Na-noo,Na-noo" or "Live long & prosper"
post #908 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

Well, it's been lost in the "My Prawn is better looking than your Blue Cat Person!" debate here by a couple of members, and it was hinted at by a couple of nice posts by raaj, but I've been surprised by the amount of discussion the movie is generating amongst the non-"movie/sci fi geek" crowd. Although, I don't buy into all of Cameron's "progressive" messages he telegraphs thoughout the movie and the overall theme, I've been enjoying reading how people are intelligently reacting to them. And, of course, I can respect that he would actually attempt to make a point, no matter how simplistic I personally may find it, in a $200 million dollar movie. As opposed to say, showing dogs humping or robots with swinging balls.

You should give this a read:

http://aintitcool.com/node/43440

Quote:

Since the movie has already been reviewed to death, I’m going to focus
on something that hasn’t been covered yet – the science. But while
this is interesting exercise, for me it is story first, and science
second. I’d put it like this:

Copernicus’ Law of Science Fiction: Bending the laws of
physics out of service to the story is fine, doing it out of ignorance
is unconscionable.

I don’t mind if the ships in Star Trek can go faster than the speed of
light – otherwise the story would be pretty boring. And I know
there’s no sound in space, but I want Star Destroyers to
rumble, and the Millennium Falcon to have that iconic whine. But if a
director casually gets science wrong for no real reason other than
that he is stupid or lazy (see ARMAGEDDON, THE CORE, and THE DAY AFTER
TOMORROW, to name a few), then to hell with him. If the filmmakers
don’t respect the intelligence of the audience, I’m not going to
respect the movie.

Fortunately, James Cameron has a knack for science that rivals his
moviemaking skills.

Also, check out:

http://www.pandorapedia.com/doku.php

&

http://browseinside.harpercollins.co...=9780061896750
post #909 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 134
^ Whoa, wait just a minute. The science in Armageddon, The Core, and The Day After Tomorrow wasn't accurate? Well, this is news to me...

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #910 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

^ Whoa, wait just a minute. The science in Armageddon, The Core, and The Day After Tomorrow wasn't accurate? Well, this is news to me...

The Death Star never blew up Alderaan.
post #911 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 11:37 AM

Wait a minute ," Copernicus' Law of Science Fiction" is ridiculous! Why would any, reasonably intelligent writer/director, use "lazy science" out of ignorance of how true physics work? Maybe, & this is just a guess(tongue in cheek), because he was pretty sure that people understand why the genre is called "Science Fiction" & not just "Fiction". I'm sure if JC thought that there would be mass dissention over every physical detail he would have been more consciensous of certain elements. He foolishly believed that the genre allowed him to take liberties. You know what? I now realize there must be thousands of mistakes made by the Sci/Fi/Fantasy writers/directors I've enjoyed through the years, & now it's all ruined because they were "Lazy B*stards"... Please!!! True science is very interesting & important to be knowledgeable of, but for the life of me I can't see how anyone could assume "laziness" & not "the Laws of Physics don't really matter that much in the world that I've created, because it does'nt exist" to be someone's modus opperandi. What's that saying they use about making assumptions in the military. I won't repeat it,that would be to assume some of you could'nt figure it out. I have faith(a little anyway) most of you will.
post #912 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Meh...to be honest I was not all that impressed with the effects except for the facial expressions. I have to agree with what some others have said here in that the story is SO unoriginal that it ruined the rest for me. I know there are many other movies that do the same thing but at least some seem to try and do their own take on it. And am I just weird or is there anyone else here who doesnt care for 3d? I've seen 3 3d movies now and it pulls me out of the movie to be honest. And in Avatar after about an hour I dont think I really noticed it anymore...the glasses just start bothering me cause they are so tight. I was irritated throughout the second half because of this so I might go and give the movie a second chance in 2d.
post #913 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And am I just weird or is there anyone else here who doesnt care for 3d?

I dont care for it either.
post #914 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_zep View Post

and am i just weird or is there anyone else here who doesnt care for 3d? I've seen 3 3d movies now and it pulls me out of the movie to be honest.

+1
post #915 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Those aren't photorealistic images. Avatar is. Plus, as I said, almost all the time the foreground and the background are in focus - just like we see as humans. This is what makes Avatar so ground breaking.

This may be why it seemed so much more detail to me I guess.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #916 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 12:22 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I finally have my plans solidified to go see it tomorrow. I'm opting for the 3D version since that's what everyone else here has seen, and I want to see the same thing the people I've been "arguing" with are seeing.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #917 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSchmitt View Post

Although I really enjoyed this movie, I think some additional explanation regarding the physics of this world would have been highly beneficial. As a person who avidly tracks the fields of astrobiology and astrophysics (particularly exoplanetary science), I was keenly awaiting comments or explanations on what I was seeing, such as the floating land masses referenced above. But the movie did not provide many answers, at least to my satisfaction. I'm not saying the movie had to go into excruciating technical detail, just provide a bit more information on the nature of this world. This could have done in a few sentences sprinkled throughout the periodic narration sequences. An extra 30 or 40 seconds of dialog at strategic points could have gone a long way toward a more complete understanding of this fascinating world.

I think a lack of explanation is probably better. They even stated in the movie that they knew where the source of the floating mountains was, but were unsure how/why it worked. Science is/has always been a mystery we are trying to solve. Could we explain how gravity works. We understand its affects bodies and we have theories on how it may work, but nothing is proven.

I hated when they talked about the force being just a concentration of medichlorines or whatever they were in Phantom Menace. It ruined the nestalgia to me (more so than Jar Jar).

The worste thing you can ever do IMO, is classify a movie and then criticize it for violating someones rules of what a science fiction movie is supposed to be or how it is supposed to behave. Do we really want all Science Fiction movies to follow a rigid formula. The father of Science Fiction, Jules Vern, wrote Journey to the Center of the earth when the scientific community had decided that the hollow earth theory was no different than the flat earth theory. Does that make it any less of a story?

The whole idea of a stable wormhole that people could travel through and not come out in particle form is complete rubbish according to science.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #918 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

A lot of people really have this wrong. The midichlorians are not the force itself. They are merely the conduit that allows the force to communicate with living things. The force is still as mystical as it ever was. And we already knew from the original trilogy that the force was hereditary. So really midichlorians don't change anything at all.

I think most people understand what midichlorians are and what role they play in the force, it's just that it was an unnecessary injection of science into what was a wholly mystical and magical thing. I personally thought it was kinda lame to do that and incredibly unnecessary.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #919 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

I think most people understand what midichlorians are and what role they play in the force, it's just that it was an unnecessary injection of science into what was a wholly mystical and magical thing. I personally thought it was kinda lame to do that and incredibly unnecessary.

I'd also like to add Bah-humbug to get into my usually Xmas spirit.
post #920 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Interesting article where Cameron says future sequels may feature the other moons of the planet(Polyphemus) that Pandora orbits. Includes video interview. I think that sounds pretty cool and could lead to some amazing sequels.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...r-sequel-.html

David Budo
post #921 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Interesting article where Cameron says future sequels may feature the other moons of the planet(Polyphemus) that Pandora orbits. Includes video interview. I think that sounds pretty cool and could lead to some amazing sequels.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...r-sequel-.html

What more needs to be said? Thats the problem with the narrative. Its too neatly tied up.
post #922 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What more needs to be said? Thats the problem with the narrative. Its too neatly tied up.

Please explain, if you don't mind?

David Budo
post #923 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

According to http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart...9-12-22&p=.htm, Avatar has grossed over $16 million both Monday and Tuesday, domestically and is at $109,497,762 through 5 days. Those are really impressive numbers

Worldwide so far $301,308,992

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

David Budo
post #924 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Please explain, if you don't mind?

What could they explore in the sequel? Jake had his transformation. The Na'Vi already overturned superior weaponary with help of Yahweh and some birds...what could they possible explore without it being a blatant rehash?
post #925 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 02:59 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

What could they explore in the sequel? Jake had his transformation. The Na'Vi already overturned superior weaponary with help of Yahweh and some birds...what could they possible explore without it being a blatant rehash?

Who said the Nav'vi are the only intelligent humaniods in that planet system? They obviously don't have the technology to travel from one planet to another - but they now have Jake who has the knowledge.

Man was on Pandora because of the ultra valuable element they wanted. They had no interest in the other planets because they didn't contain it - AFAWK.
post #926 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Fortunately for fans of the movie, JC disagrees with you:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...05/story.jhtml

Quote:
In a pre-opening discussion with MTV News, Cameron spoke at length about his plans for his burgeoning sci-fi franchise and where the story will pick up following the first film's game-changer of an ending: Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) successfully and permanently transfers his consciousness to his big blue Na'vi avatar after falling in love with Princess Neytiri (Zoe Saldana).

Cameron made clear that the next film won't be a prequel, recounting previous backstory, but will begin after the events of the initial movie. "We'll follow Jake and Neytiri," he confirmed.

In fact, Cameron intends to follow the couple for another two films. "I have a trilogy-scaled arc of story right now, but I haven't really put any serious work into writing a script," he said.

post #927 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

Fortunately for fans of the movie, JC disagrees with you:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...05/story.jhtml

Maybe this will have to substitute for those of us who've been waiting for A PRINCESS OF MARS.
post #928 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"I have a trilogy-scaled arc of story right now, but I haven't really put any serious work into writing a script," he said.

So, no different than Avatar then?
post #929 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Maybe this will have to substitute for those of us who've been waiting for A PRINCESS OF MARS.

I wonder how this will effect his BATTLEANGEL project?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437086/

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #930 of 3536 Old 12-23-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I saw this today. IMAX. It was as exhilerating a theatrical experience as was Star Wars for me as a pre-teen. The story flowed like liquid and the 3-D was almost perfect in that is was not over the top or distracting- just seamlessly integrated. I forgot about the 3-D as I was simply sucked into the fictional world. The soundtrack was one of the best ever.

I went in with low expectations but left understanding that I will soon be replacing my brand new SIM2 Lumis reference projector for a 3-D model when available.

Cameron has mastered movie making.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page