post #91 of 3536 Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

It appears that only the 70mm DMR is going to be presented in 1.78:1.

Could you tell us where this info comes from? I've been very curious about Cameron's comments regarding the varying aspect ratios, because taken at face value, they don't make a whole lot of sense. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3536 Old 11-03-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/technical

It doesn't specify the DCi 3D version however, so I could be wrong. Hopefully I am.

David Budo
post #93 of 3536 Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Really sorry guys. I was wrong. The entire film is being shot at 1.78:1 and the 2D version will have a cropped 2.35:1 version. Again, I apologize for the confusion. Stupid imdb!

David Budo
post #94 of 3536 Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Don't be sorry. It's way more complicated than that. Here's Cameron's exact quote:

Quote:

For AVATAR, we're shooting in a 16:9 ratio. We're extracting a Cinemascope ratio from that for 2D theatrical exhibition. And for 3D theatrical exhibition, the theaters that can will be in the 16:9 format, and the theaters that can't will be in the scope format. Because I actually think that the extra screen height really works well in 3D. It really pulls you through the screen. So I'm actually going back on years of kind of eschewing the 1.85 format, and now saying 1.85, or actually it's 1.78:1, actually works really well in 3D. But only in 3D. I still like the scope ratio compositionally for flat projection.

What does that mean? Every 3D theater can show movies in 1.85:1. I think what he's saying is that for screens with a constant width, it'll be 1.85. He essentially just wants to open up the masking all the way. Thoughts?
post #95 of 3536 Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

He's framing the entire pic for 1.78:1(16:9) to max out the vertical immersion in any constant width theater. These 3D capable cinemas will be able to take advantage of additional image size. I think after watching it, people will realize how incredible 3D is in 1.78:1.

David Budo
post #96 of 3536 Old 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM

WOW! Lots of critics and the movie hasn't been relased yet. Just on the trailer...anyway it looks like a good adventure movie for me and I can't wait to see it on my new HD home setup....
When the Titanic came out I didn't think it would amount to much given all of the other attempts at the Titanic movie theme, ............but.........I was very impressed with the story and film and still think it was very well done.
There will allways be somebody available to point out what is wrong with something..but I for one am very much looking forward to this one!!!!
post #97 of 3536 Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I find the critiques strange too. Everyone just seems to want to be able to say "I knew it would be bad." I saw trailer in HD during the final game of the world series on my KURO and I couldn't stop drooling

David Budo
post #98 of 3536 Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Screenshot from Avatar. The texture, clothing and water look exceptional, as does Jake.

David Budo
post #99 of 3536 Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

I find the critiques strange too. Everyone just seems to want to be able to say "I knew it would be bad." I saw trailer in HD during the final game of the world series on my KURO and I couldn't stop drooling

I've been critical of the trailers before. To me they look like the best of any other CG effort floating around out there now. Granted, I've only seen them on my computer, so they may look fabulous on the TV or projector. However, it's not the CGI so much as it's the way the trailers make the movie look. I do, however, think the second trailer is much better than the first. I should point out that I had the same feeling with the Star Trek trailers, and ended up loving that movie.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #100 of 3536 Old 11-24-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Cameron on 60 Minutes (11/22/09).....

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minu...cdzJdK7NWVoNrf

*commercial alert*

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #101 of 3536 Old 11-24-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I've been critical of the trailers before. To me they look like the best of any other CG effort floating around out there now. Granted, I've only seen them on my computer, so they may look fabulous on the TV or projector. However, it's not the CGI so much as it's the way the trailers make the movie look. I do, however, think the second trailer is much better than the first. I should point out that I had the same feeling with the Star Trek trailers, and ended up loving that movie.

What's cool about the CGI of the Avatar trailer is all the details which makes the CG characters seem like real actors...very convincing. And yes, the downloaded 720P trailer looks "AWESOME" coming from my 720P projector, I doubt the Blu-Ray version of the movie will look any different. Check out the skin tissue detail on this screen capture of the 720P trailer:

http://vracer111.smugmug.com/photos/...76_vCn8k-O.png

This is the most anticipated movie of the year for me...will either be better than Star Trek or right behind it IMO. Come on December 18th!
post #102 of 3536 Old 11-25-2009, 11:24 AM

Liked: 11
Looks like the next big blockbuster like Lord of the Rings.I will see this at the Theather for sure.
post #103 of 3536 Old 11-25-2009, 11:29 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post

What's cool about the CGI of the Avatar trailer is all the details which makes the CG characters seem like real actors...very convincing. And yes, the downloaded 720P trailer looks "AWESOME" coming from my 720P projector, I doubt the Blu-Ray version of the movie will look any different. Check out the skin tissue detail on this screen capture of the 720P trailer:

http://vracer111.smugmug.com/photos/...76_vCn8k-O.png

This is the most anticipated movie of the year for me...will either be better than Star Trek or right behind it IMO. Come on December 18th!

Thanks. I'll try it out on the projector tonight. Maybe it will change my view on it (the CGI).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #104 of 3536 Old 11-29-2009, 01:31 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Cameron on 60 Minutes (11/22/09).....

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minu...cdzJdK7NWVoNrf

*commercial alert*

Thanks for that! Looking forward when it get released on Blu ray sometime next year.

Frank

post #105 of 3536 Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Looks like the next big blockbuster like Lord of the Rings.I will see this at the Theather for sure.

Looking forward in reading people impressions when see it.

Frank

post #106 of 3536 Old 11-29-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Looking forward in reading people impressions when see it.

Isn't this one you'd want to experience in the theater in 3D?

I'll post my review of it right after the midnight showing on the 17th.

David Budo
post #107 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Isn't this one you'd want to experience in the theater in 3D?

I'll post my review of it right after the midnight showing on the 17th.

Not really. Not a big fan of 3D and cinemas anymore. Will wait for peoples impression of the movie.

Frank

post #108 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Not a big fan of 3D and cinemas anymore.

Well, according to some online articles, this is the movie that will raise CGI to new levels. I'm thinking it's not just photorealistic CG. Cameron commented that most 3D movies look "flattish" with occasional effects that pop out. He made sure Avatar is a completely immersive experience. Cameron has the time, money, and clout to do what he wants and when he wants. This is his baby. I just hope that the story is half as strong as the technical achievements are going to be.

I saw the new trailer during "The Blind Side" and now I'm officially hyped. The previous trailer left me lukewarm.
post #109 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha. For me, it's kind of like Dances With Wolves and The Last Samurai.

That's basically what I got from the trailer - a cartoon version of Last Samurai. Left me cold and uninterested.
post #110 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmoneous View Post

That's basically what I got from the trailer - a cartoon version of Last Samurai. Left me cold and uninterested.

Cartoon? Have you seen the level of realism in the CG? Skin texture, muscular definition, movement fluidity, etc... The last thing I'd call it is a "cartoon".

David Budo
post #111 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Cartoon? Have you seen the level of realism in the CG? Skin texture, muscular definition, movement fluidity, etc... The last thing I'd call it is a "cartoon".

I agree I would not say its cartoon. He spent alot of money and time to make this CGI look as real as it can.

Frank

post #112 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cartoon? Have you seen the level of realism in the CG? Skin texture, muscular definition, movement fluidity, etc...

OK, how about a really well drawn cartoon version of The Last Samurai?

When I look at the trailer, I see cartoon characters - not actual blue people. But, in the end, who cares. While the technology is impressive... impressive technology doesn't make for a good movie.

From a movie-making standpoint, realistic CGI is a cool tool. But from a movie-watching standpoint, who cares? Do I care if they filmed a real rat, or have a CGI rate that is indistinguishable from real?
post #113 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

Have you seen that it's about blue elf people riding rainbow colored dragons?

No matter how much detail and texture Cameron adds to the CGI, the overall visual design of the film still looks very cartoony, IMO.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #114 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Josh,
So rainbow coloured butterflies are not real? They're cartoons? What about frogs which are gold coloured or bright green? If the original species of the planet had bright, bioluminescent features, it would most likely be passed on to the evolved species of the planet. After seeing the trailer in every possible theatrical format available, I just can't see cartoony looking anything. I feel sorry for you guys. Seriously, if that's all you can see, it sucks to be you.

It's like people who only see Wall.E as a cartoon about robots for children.

Oddly enough, I only get these negative feelings from people on the internet. Everyone else I talk to, seems to be atleast a little excited about the film. Especially after seeing the latest trailers.

David Budo
post #115 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Josh,
So rainbow coloured butterflies are not real? They're cartoons? What about frogs which are gold coloured or bright green? If the original species of the planet had bright, bioluminescent features, it would most likely be passed on to the evolved species of the planet. After seeing the trailer in every possible theatrical format available, I just can't see cartoony looking anything. I feel sorry for you guys. Seriously, if that's all you can see, it sucks to be you.

Oddly enough, I only get these negative feelings from people on the internet. Everyone else I talk to, seems to be atleast a little excited about the film. Especially after seeing the latest trailers.

I will be looking forward in reading your impressions Dbuudo07 when you see it. From what ive seen it looks fantastic.

Frank

post #116 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Franin. The thing about this story is, it has worldwide appeal. Countries around the world have been getting theaters 3D ready for this film. The Real D trailer I saw, presented depth and immersion unlike anything I've seen before. The Christmas Carol, which was the movie I paid to see, had good 3D, but nowhere close to what I saw in the 3 minute trailer.

David Budo
post #117 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's nothing at all like that. It's saying the movie looks like a cartoon. The equivelent is saying that Wall-E looks like a cartoon. Which it does.

Quote:

Oddly enough, I only get these negative feelings from people on the internet.

You are the one equating "cartoon" with "negative". Why?

Quote:

Everyone else I talk to, seems to be atleast a little excited about the film. Especially after seeing the latest trailers.

Most people tend to hang out with people similar to themselves. One of the great things about the internet is the opportunity with interact with a great number of people with different backgrounds, ideas and opinions. The downside is that they are much less likely to agree with you.
post #118 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmoneous View Post

It's nothing at all like that. It's saying the movie looks like a cartoon. The equivelent is saying that Wall-E looks like a cartoon. Which it does.

You are the one equating "cartoon" with "negative". Why?

Most people tend to hang out with people similar to themselves. One of the great things about the internet is the opportunity with interact with a great number of people with different backgrounds, ideas and opinions. The downside is that they are much less likely to agree with you.

The part about Wall.E was actually in regards to the poor story, Last Samurai comment before. Sorry, I didn't feel like replying to different posts individually.

I'm not talking about cartoons being negative, I'm talking about attitude towards the story.

I wasn't referring to my friends. I have this habit of talking to strangers I meet in the theater. Especially for midnight and media screenings. I just strike up conversations with people around me and discuss films. We don't always see eye to eye on things, but the majority of people are atleast interested, if not mildly excited about Avatar. This includes male and females of all ages. I don't just talk to people my age.

David Budo
post #119 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

So rainbow coloured butterflies are not real? They're cartoons? What about frogs which are gold coloured or bright green? If the original species of the planet had bright, bioluminescent features, it would most likely be passed on to the evolved species of the planet.

Still looks cartoony, sorry.

Quote:

What's funny is that I've had the exact oppositive experience. The internet is the only place I've ever seen anyone say anything positive about the trailer. The people I've talked to about it in real life have universally scoffed at it.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #120 of 3536 Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Time will tell. It will easily surpass half a billion dollars world wide. I think it should be closer to the billion dollar mark, if not pass it when it finally leaves the big screens next year.

I wonder if the OP can change the title of the thread to "James Cameron's Avatar".

David Budo
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page