post #1441 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

For someone with such a poor opinion of Cameron and his movie(s), you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in this thread with almost obsessive zeal to counter any praise of this movie.

Haa Haaa!

David Budo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't have an IMAX anywhere near me.
But there is ONE Real3D theater.
Because my back has been nagging me I haven't seen Avatar yet.
Hope to next week.

Get your butt out and see it. Best theater experience since Star Wars in 1977. I said this about it on another forum...

The themes of this movie are borrowed from countless sci-fi stories (not books, though some books have been fleshed out from these same story outlines) written in the glory years of pulp sci-fi, 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. This particular theme of corporate exploitation, mercs, scientists and aliens is very familiar, but it gets done time and again because it works. Sci-fi stories are borrowed from mundane human stories, some classics, some not, but these themes are used because you need a framework in order to build a world that we can relate to. Cameron, being unoriginal, was pretty smart because he created a fast paced story with ever expanding world building and a cutting edge technology project. If the story had ever slowed down to explain even more complexity of the world, the factions, their motivations, the characters, etc., it would have bogged down the pacing and the movies would have been criticized more for poor editing or incomprehensible storylines. It's a well crafted film, a serviceable story with amazing editing, tech and world building. Did any of you critics need to have anything explained to you? Probably not. 2 and a half hours and it never lagged. This one ranks up there with the original Star Wars as a game changer and the box office proves it.

Hope your back get's better...

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #1443 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

For someone with such a poor opinion of Cameron and his movie(s), you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in this thread with almost obsessive zeal to counter any praise of this movie.

I was joking. Perhaps the obsessive zeal towards Cameron isn't coming from me. And in fairness, it is a nice contrast that his ex wife who directed Hurt Locker approached the film in a 100% opposite way.

And I love T1, T2, and Aliens...but at this point the thread is basically a Cameron lovefest with a focus on aspect rations...kinda boring.
post #1444 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Get your butt out and see it. Best theater experience since Star Wars in 1977. I said this about it on another forum...

The themes of this movie are borrowed from countless sci-fi stories (not books, though some books have been fleshed out from these same story outlines) written in the glory years of pulp sci-fi, 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. This particular theme of corporate exploitation, mercs, scientists and aliens is very familiar, but it gets done time and again because it works. Sci-fi stories are borrowed from mundane human stories, some classics, some not, but these themes are used because you need a framework in order to build a world that we can relate to. Cameron, being unoriginal, was pretty smart because he created a fast paced story with ever expanding world building and a cutting edge technology project. If the story had ever slowed down to explain even more complexity of the world, the factions, their motivations, the characters, etc., it would have bogged down the pacing and the movies would have been criticized more for poor editing or incomprehensible storylines. It's a well crafted film, a serviceable story with amazing editing, tech and world building. Did any of you critics need to have anything explained to you? Probably not. 2 and a half hours and it never lagged. This one ranks up there with the original Star Wars as a game changer and the box office proves it.

A good example of what you're talking about is the Star Wars prequels. They were similar heavy CGI action/adventure stories but were filled with FAR too much political machinations that at times it was like watching CSPAN of the Republic. It was needlessly complex and it bogged down the stories in places. People just wanted a cool, fun, Saturday matinee space adventure like the original 3 films, not politics in space.

Avatar works so well on many levels BECAUSE the story is so familiar. All your attention is on the characters and the world that James Cameron has created.

I've seen it twice so far and I absolutely love the movie. I'm going to see it a 3rd time in the next few days, this time in Imax as the first 2 times I saw it in RealD and Dolby 3D.

@Dbuudo07 - I'm Toronto as well, where was the RealD XL theatre you saw it in?
post #1445 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotan View Post

@Dbuudo07 - I'm Toronto as well, where was the RealD XL theatre you saw it in?

It's at Empire Empress Walk. Get off at the North York Center subway stop between Sheppard and Finch. It's on the top floor of the Empress Walk mall. It's in theater 8, not 3. Be warned, the subwoofers aren't setup up right, so there is absolutely no bass below 70-80hz. That was really annoying. Personally, the best experience overall is at Colossus Woodbridge. Great picture, excellent sound with pant flapping bass from the all JBL setup. They also have a well setup 15/70mm IMAX with even better bass. If that's important to you

Just remember that even though RealD XL is a light doubler, it's only doubling the 3D standard which is around 4.5 ft.L according to a knowledgable AVS member. So the picture still isn't as bright as a normal 2D presentation, but it is brighter than regular RealD. At least it was to me.

David Budo
post #1446 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

'Daybreakers' gets burned on Friday by 'Avatar's' $13.3 million
http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-...s-13-3-million

What do you guys think of this:

Matt Damon or Jake Gyllenhaal could have been Jake Sully
http://filmonic.com/matt-damon-or-ja...jake-sully-662

David Budo
post #1447 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

It's at Empire Empress Walk. Get off at the North York Center subway stop between Sheppard and Finch. It's on the top floor of the Empress Walk mall. It's in theater 8, not 3. Be warned, the subwoofers aren't setup up right, so there is absolutely no bass below 70-80hz. That was really annoying. Personally, the best experience overall is at Colossus Woodbridge. Great picture, excellent sound with pant flapping bass from the all JBL setup. They also have a well setup 15/70mm IMAX with even better bass. If that's important to you

Just remember that even though RealD XL is a light doubler, it's only doubling the 3D standard which is around 4.5 ft.L according to a knowledgable AVS member. So the picture still isn't as bright as a normal 2D presentation, but it is brighter than regular RealD. At least it was to me.

Thanks. Colossus was actually where I saw it the first time and thats where I was going to go see the Imax version as well. I live downtown so I actually went to see it at the Scotiabank (formerly Paramount) Theatre here but with the cost of parking I'd rather just drive to Woodbridge. Plus I never even got see it since an hour before the 10:30 showing it was already sold out....on a Thursday!

The Dolby 3D version I saw was in a small theatre near Boston last week and I actually thought it was much sharper and with more 3D depth than the RealD version I saw but that may have something to do with the smaller screen too.
post #1448 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Studiotan,

When I watch an IMAX 3D movie at Woodbridge, I get very little ghosting compared to what some people describe. The Scotia IMAX screen is about 10' wider than Woodbridge, but once you sit in the bottom row of the top section, you'll be very happy with the envelopment.

I'm going to go check Scotia to compare quality between the two.

David Budo
post #1449 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I forgot to tell you, go early. There are line ups for pretty much every afternoon showing, if you care about getting the best seat.

David Budo
post #1450 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

This is crazy!

Long line to buy an Avatar IMAX ticket in China

And I mean, a really long line. Witnessed in Shanghai on Thursday morning:

http://www.boxofficefollower.net/201...ticket-in.html

David Budo
post #1451 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

'Daybreakers' gets burned on Friday by 'Avatar's' $13.3 million
http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-...s-13-3-million

Quote:

On Friday, "Avatar" grossed $13.3 million for a new cume of $393.3 million. Overall, the Sci-Fi fantasy should find another $38-40 million over the weekend. Already the second highest grossing picture globally of all time, the question remains whether it can topple "Titanic's" domestic high mark of $600 million set a decade ago.

Avatar has been in theaters for less than 30 days.

Titanic was in the theaters for 10 MONTHS.

post #1452 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 PM

Apparently, Fox released Avatar's original screenplay as a downloadable PDF. I read through it and I was amazed by how much was left on the cutting room floor. It's all therein glorious detail, straight from Cameron's brain. Most of what was ommitted was character development stuff! If I had to guess, I would say there is at least fourty minutes worth of deleted and altered scenes that we never got to see. I wish I could ask Cameron how much of this we'll have a chance to see on the DVD/BluRay. I'm sure most of it was only left out because of the time constraints (over three hours). I would plead with him to make his director's cut version available, in addition to the theatrical. This stuff really adds a lot to the movie.

For those of you that don't have the patience to read through the screenplay, I did it for you!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

There was an interesting bit that got trimmed from the scene where Neytiri took Jake to eat with everyone for the first time. It definitely gives us some insight into what the Na'vi expect from this teaching experiment:
Spoiler  

THE ENTIRE CLAN is squatting at dinner in a huge circle. They stop talking and turn to gaze at Jake as he enters the circle.

JAKE:

Don't get up.

Neytiri crosses the circle to the cook pit and returns with several large leaves heaped with food. She kneels next to Jake, placing the food in front of him almost DEFIANTLY.

JAKE:

You never told me your name.

NEYTIRI:

Neytiri te Ckaha Mo'at'ite.

JAKE:

Okay, again, a whole lot slower.

NEYTIRI:
(exaggerated slowness)

Neytiri. Nay-TEE-ree.

Jake knows she's baiting him. He smiles in response.

JAKE:

Nay-TEE-ree. That's nice. Nay-TEE-ree.

ACROSS THE CIRCLE, Tsu'tey, Mo'at and Eytukan sit together, glancing up occasionally from their food to the stranger.

TSU'TEY:
(subtitled)

These aliens try to look like people, but they can't.

MO'AT:
(subtitled)

He seems dim to me. And his eyes are too small.

NEYTIRI motions for Jake to take portions from the serving leaves onto his own leaf.

JAKE:

Your mom likes me. I can tell.

MO'AT, watching Jake and Neytiri, leans over to Eytukan.

MO'AT:
(subtitled)

Neytiri will test this warrior. He may learn nothing -- but we will learn much.

EYTUKAN:

You speak truth. We must understand these Sky People if we are to drive them out.

Jake munches on a white shrimp-like thing.

JAKE:

These rock. What are they?

NEYTIRI:

Teylu. You call beetle larvae.

Jake blanches. She heaps some more onto his leaf -- a CHALLENGE -- and Jake meets her eyes, takes a handful, and starts munching enthusiastically.

JAKE:

That's some damn fine teylu. That's like grandma's teylu.

CU TSU'TEY, warily eyeing Jake --

TSU'TEY:
(subtitled)

I say she will kill him.

Didn't you wonder about what happened to Grace's school for the Na'vi and why Neytiri wanted to kill Jake when she first saw him?:
Spoiler  

INT. SHACK - NIGHT

Lying in the link, Jake looks exhausted, pale, thin. Norm helps Grace get him to his chair.

GRACE:

You're still losing weight. Here --

She hands him a microwaved burrito. He looks at the now alien
food. Bites into it without enthusiasm.

JAKE:

I made a kill today. We ate it. I know where that meal came from.

GRACE:

Other body. You need to take care of this body.

JAKE:

Yeah yeah.

GRACE:

Jake, I'm serious -- you look like crap. You're burning too hard.

Jake takes the cigarette out of her mouth and stubs it out.

JAKE:

Get rid of this ****, then you can lecture me.

GRACE:

I'm telling you, as your boss and someone who might even consider being a friend someday, to take some down time.

JAKE:

Not now. Tomorrow we leave for Iknimaya.

GRACE walks past Jake, starts making herself coffee.

GRACE:

Yeah -- you're gonna go ride a banshee. Or die trying.

JAKE:

That's right, Grace. This is what I've been working for.

GRACE:

And this is your check up from the neck up, Marine. You're getting in way too deep.

(she turns away)

Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Jake scans the pictures tacked up around Grace's workstation.

JAKE:

What did happen at the school?

GRACE looks up from making coffee. Her eyes track across the
pictures of the laughing children. Finally --

GRACE:

Neytiri's sister -- Sylwanin -- stopped coming to school. She was angry about the clear-cutting.

GRACE sips her coffee, grimaces at the taste.

GRACE:

One day, she and a couple of other young hunters came running in, all painted up -- they'd set a bulldozer on fire -- I guess they thought I could protect them.

GRACE'S voice stays oddly CALM as he tells this terrible story, while getting MILK out of the refrigerator.

GRACE:

The troopers pursued them to the schoolhouse.

MACRO as she pours the milk -- her hand is SHAKING.

GRACE:

They killed Sylwanin in the doorway. Right in front of Neytiri. Then shot the others.

(mildly)

I got most of the kids out, before they shot me.

JAKE:

Jesus.

GRACE:

Yeah.

Jake realizes that Grace is on the verge of tears and desperately trying to hide it.

GRACE:

A scientist stays objective -- we can not be ruled by emotion. But I poured ten years of my life into that school. They called me sa'atenuk. Mother.

(turning to him)

That kind of pain reaches back through the link.

GRACE sits down at the table, looks intently at Jake.

GRACE:

It's a job. Learn what you can -- but don't get attached.

GRACE looks at him with real PAIN in her eyes.

GRACE:

It's not our world, Jake. And we can't stop what's coming.

Cameron mentioned this was one of the deleted scenes he wants on the DVD/BluRay in an interview. It involves Jake and Tsu'tey getting intoxicated together:
Spoiler  

INT. COMMONS/HOMETREE - NIGHT

The central space is lit by a BONFIRE, around which the HUNT FESTIVAL is in full swing. Wild dancing. People gnawing on massive sturmbeest ribs. A bowl of some kava-like intoxicant is passed around.

NEYTIRI dances in a flowing costume as the BANSHEE SPIRIT.

NORM is dancing seductively with his own tail.

JAKE, surrounded by young hunters, acts out the leonopteryx attack with his hands. The leaping fire-light plays across the eye sockets of the TORUK SKULL, bringing it to life. It seems to watch Jake.

TSU'TEY squats next to Jake, the usual scowl on his face.

Jake braces himself -- and Tsu'tey holds up the KAVA BOWL, offering it to him. A challenge or an olive branch?

Jake takes a long, hearty drink as some of the young hunters hoot and clap hands in a fast rhythm.

GRACE:

Watch that stuff. It'll knock you into next week.

Jake offers the bowl back to Tsu'tey. They lock eyes. Tsu'tey drinks.

LATER -- AN EMPTY BOWL drops, landing on a pile of empty bowls near the fire.

WIDER ON JAKE and TSU'TEY, sitting amid the rowdy hunters. Tsu'tey looks a little blearily at Jake. Finally, he GRINS.

TSU'TEY:

I thought -- enough drink -- you would not be so ugly.

JAKE:

Sorry.

Tsu'tey looks deep into the fire.

TSU'TEY:

Your warriors -- hide inside machines -- fight from far away.

(he looks at Jake)

I did not think a sky person could be brave.

Before Jake can answer, NEYTIRI'S lithe shape runs through the circle of silhouetted dancers toward them. She takes Jake by the hand and pulls him up --

NEYTIRI:

You must dance! It is the way.

TSU'TEY watches as she leads him away, his face darkening -- the moment of connection to Jake lost to anger.

The hunters WHOOP and CHEER as Jake joins the circle of dancers.

Jake takes Grace's hand and pulls her up, protesting.

JAKE lets the DRUMS and CHANTING flow through him. He lets himself go, dancing from the inside, channeling the primal energy.

GRACE is rocking out, grinning. We see the young girl, so repressed, who lives within her.

Jake and Neytiri flow amongst the dancers, but they are looking only at each other.

A couple of the young girls watching from outside the circle are giggling and talking about them. Mo'at and EYTUKAN follow their look, seeing the obvious connection.

MO'AT:
(subtitled)

We cannot let this seed grow. Her path is with Tsu'tey.

ON JAKE, dancing with abandon to the primal beat, eyes locked with Neytiri.

We saw Jake become one of the Omaticaya people, but we didn't see the vision quest he had to go on before that could happen:
Spoiler  

INT. SHACK KITCHEN - NIGHT

Jake is gulping black coffee like a tequila shot, looking pretty STRUNG OUT. GRACE is smoking furiously.

GRACE:

Jake, I can't allow this. You're just not strong enough.

JAKE:

It's the last door -- I'm going through it. You can help me or get out of the way.

Jake pushes past her toward the corridor --

GRACE:
(grabbing him)

Will you listen to me? Sometimes the Na'vi themselves die in these vision quests. The venom takes you to the edge of death. And the psychoactive alkaloid in the worm-- we have no idea what that'll do in an avatar brain.

Jake breaks free and wheels away, down the corridor.

GRACE follows JAKE as he crosses to the Link. A sheet of LIGHTNING flashes across the sky outside.

Norm is initializing the Link.

NORM:

Calibrating. Thirty seconds.

She puts her hands on his shoulders.

GRACE:

No matter what you prove out there-- you are still in here.

(shaking him)

Right here.

JAKE:

I have to go all the way -- become one of them--

GRACE:
(furiously)

Goddammit, Jake, you can never be one of them!

Norm looks up, startled at the VEHEMENCE in GRACE' voice.

GRACE:

Our life out there takes millions of dollars of machinery to sustain. You visit -- and you leave.

During this, Jake pulls himself from his wheelchair, levering himself into the Link, hauling his useless legs inside.

GRACE:
(softening)

You can never truly be with her. Jake stops, pinioned by the truth. He seems suddenly very lost.

JAKE:

You know why I'm here? Because Quaritch sent me.

NORM:

What?

JAKE:

That's right -- to embed with the Omaticaya. To find out how to screw them out of their home. By deceit or by force, he didn't care. And if it turned out to be force, then how best to do it.

Norm is in shock. But Grace is eerily calm.

GRACE:

And what about now, Jake?

JAKE:

I'm not that guy any more.

Grace nods. She's been on his journey every step of the way.

GRACE:

I know.

JAKE:

But if I tell Quaritch the truth, he yanks me out -- I never see her again. And if I tell her the truth, the clan throws me out -- that's if they don't cut my heart out and show it to me.

Jake looks hopelessly at the two of them. In his own perfect Hell.

NORM:

They won't understand what you've done.

JAKE:

They don't even have a word for lie -- they had to learn it from us.

Grace sees he is on the verge of tears. Lost and alone, between worlds.

GRACE:

I know. I taught it to them.

JAKE:
(pleading)

Grace. I've gotta go. They're waiting.

NORM:

Link is ready.

Grace stops him as he tries to close the lid.

GRACE:

Jake. You can't carry this burden much longer.

JAKE:
(smiling wanly)

It's okay. Mo'at says an alien mind probably can't survive the Dream Hunt anyway.

Grace closes the lid. It feels like closing a coffin. She watches his psionic patterns aligning to his avatar, somewhere out in the night.

GRACE:
(to Norm)

Prep my link. I'm going in.

CUT TO:

JAKE SITS, eyes closed, as Neytiri and another young hunter paint his face and body in preparation for uniltaron -- the Dream Hunt.

NEYTIRI:

When your Spirit Animal comes, you will know.

Their eyes meet with emotion neither can conceal any longer.

TIME CUT. GRACE stands with the crowd at the ramp to HOMETREE'S LOWEST LEVEL. Jake barely sees her as he goes down the spiral. She tries to follow, but is barred by a hunter.

BELOW, seemingly in the womb of the earth, Jake walks slowly into the center of a tight circle of seated elders and hunters. An ELDER is slowly rapping a large WATER DRUM.

TIME CUT -- MO'AT purifies him with smoke from burning herbs, CHANTING in a low monotone. Jake, squatting, washes the smoke over himself with his palms.

MACRO - MO'AT'S FINGERS unwrap a piece of wood riddled with holes. She catches the end of a glowing purple WORM, and draws it out of the wood.

MO'AT:
(subtitled)

Oh wise worm, eater of the Sacred Tree -- bless this worthy Hunter with a true vision.

MO'AT places the worm on Jake's out-stretched TONGUE. It twists on itself, lighting his mouth before he closes it. She indicates he should chew. He does.

MACRO -- AN EARTHEN JAR is opened. EYTUKAN removes a writhing black ARACHNOID, the Pandoran equivalent of a scorpion.

He places it against the back of Jake's neck and presses. The insect drives its stinger into Jake's skin and --

Jake grimaces. Mo'at and Eytukan step back, leaving Jake alone in the circle.

Neytiri watches intently, joining in the low chant.

SLOW DOLLY IN on Jake. His eyes OPEN. He looks around at the faces -- they seem to TRANSFORM, becoming threatening.

Jake looks down at the palms of his hands.

JAKE'S POV -- his hands recede, his whole body, the ground
and --

INSTANTLY the circle of Na'vi recedes, as if to a distant horizon, leaving vast ground in between. SPACE is utterly distorted, and SOUND as well -- echoing, THUNDEROUS.

ECU JAKE -- pupils DILATED black. He looks around and -- The onlookers are gone, replaced by a ring of glowing trees, which seem miles high. The whole image is bathed in spectral radiance. Jake looks down --

JAKE'S POV -- his body and hands transforming -- fingers stretching into tendrils, legs becoming roots which spread outward across the ground, a thousand glowing dendrites which connect to the roots of the trees and --

CUT TO REALITY -- Jake is on his hands and knees, PUKING in the dirt. He contorts, crying out in agony as the venom contracts his muscles but --

IN HIS VISION Jake stands serene on a FLOATING MOUNTAIN CLIFF. A GREAT BLACK SHADOW covers him, the unmistakable X silhouette of a diving LEONOPTERYX. The LAST SHADOW.

CAMERA SCREAMS down on him as the shadow grows larger -- WE RUSH into his face, into the blackness of his pupil which FILLS THE UNIVERSE and --

REAL JAKE writhes in the dirt, his back arched as his muscles seize. He foams and thrashes, his eyes rolled back in his head, while inside --

TIME ITSELF HAS ACCELERATED -- clouds scream around the mountain tops, mist boils through the forest. He feels the wind of time blowing through him as --

REAL JAKE claws the ground, moaning, staring blindly while --

INSIDE, IN POV he FLIES over the landscape of Pandora --

--but the forest is BLASTED. Fires flicker among trees that are BURNED black and lifeless in a smoky twilight.

A great WINGED SHADOW is cast below, rippling over the devastated ground. AVATAR JAKE looks down at the shadow. Realizes HE is casting it, and we RUSH IN to his PUPIL and --

PULL BACK from the eye of a GREAT LEONOPTERYX, flying lordly and terrible over the land. It lets out an almighty SHRIEK which seems to echo to eternity and --

SLAM CUT to Jake, on his back, GASPING -- back in his body. He weakly rolls up to one elbow and looks around the room.

MO'AT:
It is finished.

Neytiri's face is flooded with relief. The faces of the clan elders look at Jake expectantly.

EYTUKAN:
(subtitled)

Did your Spirit Animal come?

Jake looks from Eytukan to Mo'at, Tsu'tey and the elders. How can he tell them what he has seen?

Mo'at puts her splayed fingers against his face, seeming to
peer into his troubled soul.

MO'AT:
(to Jake)

Something has come.

(to the others, subtitled)

It will take time for the meaning to be clear.

She steps back, and Eytukan motions for Jake to stand. He gets up, weakly.

OUTSIDE THE ENCLOSURE -- Eytukan emerges with Jake and the others. The entire clan is gathered, waiting to hear what has happened. Jake looks up at the Leonopteryx Skull Totem, which seems to stare down at him.

GRACE watches, her eyes brimming. Proud. Relieved. Amazed.

Eytukan places both hands on Jake's chest and holds them there.

EYTUKAN:
(subtitled)

You are now a son of the Omaticaya. You are part of the People.

All the members of the clan press forward, crowding around and putting their hands on Jake's shoulders, back, chest -- hands upon hands, until he is connected to everyone.

Cameron has confirmed the sex scene between Jake and Neytiri will be on the DVD/BluRay, but I'm sure you're curious about it:
Spoiler  

Jake puts his fingers on her lips to stop her.

JAKE:

I've already chosen. But this woman must also choose me.

She takes his hands and their fingers intertwine, moving gently over each other.

NEYTIRI:

She already has.

He puts his face close to hers. She rubs her cheek against his. He kisses her on the mouth. They explore each other.

Then she pulls back, eyes sparkling.

NEYTIRI:

Kissing is very good. But we have something better.

She pulls him down until they are kneeling, facing each other on the faintly glowing moss.

Neytiri takes the end of her queue and raises it. Jake does the same, with trembling anticipation. The tendrils at the ends move with a life of their own, straining to be joined.

MACRO SHOT -- The tendrils INTERTWINE with gentle undulations.

JAKE rocks with the direct contact between his nervous system and hers. The ultimate intimacy.

They come together into a kiss and sink down on the bed of moss, and ripples of light spread out around them.

THE WILLOWS sway, without wind, and the night is alive with pulsing energy as we DISSOLVE TO --

LATER. She is collapsed across his chest. Spent. He strokes her face tenderly.

JAKE:

Neytiri, you know my real body is far away, sleeping.

She raises up, placing her fingertips to his chest --

NEYTIRI:

This body is real.

(she touches his forehead)

This spirit is real.

Her eyes are luminous, honest, infinitely deep.

NEYTIRI:

When I was first your teacher, I hated all Sky People. But you have also taught me.

(whispering)

Spirit is all that matters.

She lays her head down, against his chest, listening to his
heartbeat.

NEYTIRI:

I am with you now, Jake. We are mated for life.

JAKE:

We are?

NEYTIRI:

Yes. It is our way.

(innocently)

Oh. I forgot to tell?

He rouses up, making her look at him.

JAKE:

Really, we are?

NEYTIRI:

We are.

Jake considers this.

JAKE:

It's cool. I'm there.

He lays his head down, and her arms enfold him, sheltering him as he sleeps.

INT. SHACK - NIGHT

Jake's eyes open in the darkness. He just lies there, thinking. In his coffin. In another world.

While they were staying in the mobile link-up shack in the Hallelujah Mountains, Trudy and Norm hooked up, changing some of the story:
Spoiler  

HUMAN JAKE emerges from the LINK to see --

TRUDY and NORM caught IN THE ACT on Norm's bunk. Norm blushes
and Trudy waves, pulling the blanket over their heads.

JAKE (V.O.):

Norm's attitude has improved lately.

WHEN TRUDY BUSTS EVERYONE OUT OF LOCKUP

Trudy plants a kiss on Norm as he runs out of the cell.

NORM:

Baby, you rock.

SKIPPING TO LATER

JAKE:

(into his headset) Quaritch is gonna take out the Well of Souls! He's got a clear shot. Hit him, anybody that can! Do it now!

IN HER SAMSON Trudy Chacon is all business.

TRUDY:

On it.

SHE BANKS hard, pulling g's, coming around on the Dragon.
She pours on the coal and the Samson leaps forward, straight
at the WARSHIP.

QUARITCH, DRILLS a stream of tracers at her, tearing through
her canopy, ripping chunks off her fuselage.

IN THE JUNGLE BELOW, Norm watches her kamikaze run --

NORM:

No!

TRUDY:
(clipped, pilot-like)

Norm, I love you.

EXT. RAINFOREST - DAY

Norm takes a few steps and drops to his knees. Imploded by grief.

Would you be surprised to hear that Selfridge didn't authorize Quaritch's preemptive attack against the Na'vi at the Well of Souls?:
Spoiler  

INT. ARMOR BAY - DAY

TROOPERS issue automatic weapons and magazines to a long line of mine workers. The miners lock and load like the redblooded redneck NRA supporters they are.

BLASTING TECHS are setting radio-detonated primer charges into two-ton stacks of EXPLOSIVE COMPOUND. The stacks are band-strapped together on pallets.

TRACKING WITH SELFRIDGE, staring around him in growing dismay as he walks through the full-scale mobilization.

He approaches Quaritch, who is barking orders amid a hive of activity around the ampsuits.

SELFRIDGE:

This thing is completely out of control!

Quaritch ignores him, turning away to focus on ordnance loading.
SELFRIDGE:

Listen to me! I am not authorizing you to turn the mine-workers local into a freakin' militia!

QUARITCH:

I declared threat condition red. That puts all on-world assets under my command.

SELFRIDGE:

You think you can pull this palace coup **** on me?! I can have your ass with one call --

Quaritch grabs him and PINS him against the side of an ampsuit.

QUARITCH:

You're a long way from Earth.

Selfridge is paralyzed. Physical force -- against him? Quaritch releases him and walks away.

QUARITCH:
(to his men)

Get him out of here.

Several troopers converge on Selfridge.

SELFRIDGE:

You touch me you're so fired.

He pushes through them and they escort him toward the door.

Obviously, some of the stuff the Na'vi did to prepare for battle (war paint, piercings, hair braiding, dancing, etc.) got cut:
Spoiler  

EXT. BATTLE CAMP - DUSK

TRACKING through the warrior camp above the Well of Souls. Hundreds of hunters from many clans prepare their weapons.

Hunters paint the wings of their banshees like war ponies. DIREHORSES are painted and ornamented with totemic streamers.

The Na'vi paint and pierce themselves. Dance. Bathe in the smoke of cleansing herbs -- RITUAL PURIFICATION. HUGE DRUMS are beaten. A dark primeval energy. They are psyching themselves up for battle.

JAKE (V.O.):

I was a warrior who dreamed he could bring peace. But there was only one thing I was ever really good at. Ooh-rah.

TIME CUT -- Jake, Neytiri a group of banshee riders squat around an animal skin on which he has drawn the silhouette of a Scorpion gunship -- like a hunt totem.

JAKE:
(Na'vi/subtitled)

Strike here and here.

Jake splats red dye at the centers of the circles symbolizing the rotors. The Na'vi absorb the lesson eagerly, like kids.

He sees TRUDY approaching and breaks off. Neytiri stays with the hunters, talking about what they've learned.

There were a lot of changes made to the final battle. Most of the changes were minor and just eliminated some of the repetitiveness. For example, it described Neytiri attacking other guys in ampsuits with her thanator before she ended up facing Quaritch.

Originally, both of the Valkyrie shuttles were to be part of the battle:
Spoiler  

HE SPRINTS ON as the grenades EXPLODE, shattering the turbines, which riddle the fuselage with shrapnel and --

JAKE LEAPS INTO SPACE, landing on the back of his mount and reconnecting. They flap away, gaining altitude as fire BLASTS out of the bottom of the shuttle.

ON THE FLIGHT DECK, the pilot feels the ship dropping.

PILOT:

Mains to a hundred percent! Get me airspeed!

The pilot and copilot slam the throttle levers forward and --

The FUSION ENGINES BLAZE, thrusting the shuttle forward. It still falls, its remaining lift fans screaming, until --

IT'S CLIPPING the tree tops when it gets enough translational lift to fly and --

THE PILOT PULLS back on the stick, lifting the nose.

PILOT:

We're good!

BEHIND HIM, a surviving Na'vi hunter runs forward and --

THOONK! ARROWHEADS sprout from the pilots' necks and chests.

THE SHUTTLE CLIMBS out of control, at full acceleration. It SLAMS into the underside of MONS Veritatis. It EXPLODES, and hundreds of tons of flaming debris drop back into the forest.

ON THE FLIGHT DECK of the other SHUTTLE, the pilots watch the wreckage falling.

PILOT:

Valkyrie Two is breaking off. And if any of ya'll want to get off this piece of **** planet, you better cover our ass, cause we're the only way back to orbit.

GUNSHIP PILOT:

Roger that.

FROM THE DRAGON COCKPIT Quaritch watches the shuttle bank away, with most of the remaining gunships following.

QUARITCH:

Get back here you worthless pukes!

PILOT:

Are we breaking off?

Quaritch draws his pistol.

QUARITCH:

What do you think?

He is over the edge-- no logic in his brain now. Only death.

INT. OPS CENTER/CORRIDOR

Techs and troopers crowd around consoles, listening to all the yelling and confusion as they try to plot the disintegrating battle.

SELFRIDGE:
(in growing alarm)

What the hell is going on out there?

Tsu'tey survived his fall from the sky (that happened a bit different as well):
Spoiler  

CIRCLING ABOVE, Tsu'tey falls in beside Jake, who talks to him by AIRCOM HEADSET.

JAKE:

We have to stop the shuttles, no matter what it takes.

TSU'TEY nods. He signals, gathering other hunters, who fall in with him as he dives. Jake rolls in after them but --

A GUNSHIP drops in behind him and he is forced to evade as --

TSU'TEY LEADS the attack on the first shuttle. Hunters jink and weave through WITHERING FIRE from the escort ships.

GUNNERS with jerry-rigged gun mounts ride the broad backs of the shuttles, picking off banshees who get past the escort.

TSU'TEY is RAKED by a burst from the dorsal gunners. His mount crumples, plummeting with a dying scream and --

WE SPIRAL DOWN with him, the forest rushing up and --

A BLINDING BLIZZARD of green as he tears downward, catching at leaves and vines. He SLAMS to the ground, badly injured.

NEARBY, ampsuits and troopers advance across the forest floor, firing their cannons and flamethrowers. The GAU-90s rip the forest to shreds.

EXT. RAINFOREST

TSU'TEY lies gasping, mortally injured. He looks up, grimacing, as an ampsuit looms over him.

LYLE WAINFLEET reaches down and grabs Tsu'tey by his queue (ponytail appendage), lifting him painfully.

WAINFLEET:

I hear this is worse than death for you, chief.

WAINFLEET cuts Tsu'tey's queue off near the base. TSU'TEY SCREAMS in agony, his nervous system exploding on overload. Grinning, Lyle holds up the queue -- Tsu'tey's only connection to the world-consciousness which is his life.

This is how it plays out in the end for Tsu'tey (should have been kept in, IMO):
Spoiler  

MO'AT tends to the mortally wounded TSU'TEY as AVATAR JAKE arrives with Neytiri. Mo'at has bound his wounds, but by her expression, it is clear he cannot be saved.

Jake kneels and Tsu'tey opens his eyes. Through a haze of pain, he recognizes Jake.

TSU'TEY:
(Na'vi)

I See you, Jakesully.

JAKE:

I See you, Tsu'tey te Rongloa Ateyitan.

TSU'TEY:

Are the people safe?

JAKE:

They're safe.

Tsu'tey weakly clutches his severed queue (ponytail appendage).

TSU'TEY:

I can never ride again, or bond with my woman -- or hear the voice of Eywa. I can not lead the People. You will lead them, Jakesully.

JAKE:

No. I'm not officer material.

TSU'TEY:

It is decided. Now do the duty of Olo'eyctan. Set my spirit free.

JAKE:

I'm not killing you.

TSU'TEY:

I am already dead.

JAKE:

No.

TSU'TEY:

It is the way. And it is good. I will be remembered --

Tsu'tey's voice is weak, but thick with emotion.

TSU'TEY:

-- I fought with Toruk Macto, we were brothers -- and he was my last shadow.

TSU'TEY'S HAND clasps with Jake's in a fierce grip. Jake draws his knife.

TSU'TEY'S POV -- Jake leans forward, blocking the sun.

HIS SHADOW falls across Tsu'tey.

JAKE:
(Na'vi)

Forgive me, my Brother. Go now to the Mother Spirit.

By his movement, we know that he has ended Tsu'tey's pain.

Jake's eyes well with tears as he continues reciting the prayer for the dead, and his Na'vi words carry over.

So, how exactly did the Na'vi take control of Hell's Gate (the human base) without another big fight?:
Spoiler  

INT. CORRIDOR

Max runs down the hall, leading the other scientists. He's yelling into an AIRCOM HANDSET --

MAX:

Rogue One, Rogue One, this is Max. Tell Jake we are in motion.

(to the scientists)

Get in there. Barricade the door!

INT. LINK ROOM

The door is hurled open and the SCIENTISTS charge in.

Science geeks barricade the door as AVATAR-DRIVERS scramble into their link units, pulling the clamshells down.

INT. CORRIDOR

Max checks the door is secure from his side then runs down a connecting corridor.

INT. OPS CENTER/ HELL'S GATE

ON THE PLOTTING DISPLAY as Quaritch's TRANSPONDER ICON
disappears.

TROOPER:

Dragon is down. It's off the board.

SELFRIDGE:

What do you mean, off the board?!

Selfridge is stunned. Suddenly the ROAR of an ENGINE makes them all look up.

OUTSIDE THE WINDOW, MAX sits in the cab of an enormous SLASHCUTTER. Max flips Selfridge the bird and pushes a lever forward --

SELFRIDGE:

Oh ****.

Selfridge DIVES as --

K-RASHHHHH! The SPINNING TEETH of the SLASH-CUTTER tear through the window in a blast of glass and lethal air. Alarms go off. The technicians dive for cover in a blizzard of glass and shredded debris.

The slash-cutter head pulls back, and AVATARS SCRAMBLE through the gaping hole into the Ops Center --

The TROOPERS look up to see blue giants aiming weapons down at them. The battle is over in seconds. The avatars are holding the Ops Center.

Selfridge lies there gasping, in his emergency mask. In shock. How could this be happening?

Is Neytiri pregnant with Jake's baby?:
Spoiler  

EXT. SPACE

ISV VENTURE STAR hangs suspended against the dark side of PANDORA. The ISV's antimatter engines BLAZE to life and it accelerates out of orbit.

What remains IN FRAME is a virgin, primeval world. Spanning the black continents is a vast reticulated lace-work of BIOLUMINESCENCE -- a ghostly WEB connecting all of Pandora.

CUT TO:

EXT. RAINFOREST - DAY

The sun's rays shaft down through the layers of canopy.

JAKE (V.O.):

The forest will heal, and so will the hearts of the People. New life keeps the energy flowing, like the breath of the world.

NEYTIRI, obviously pregnant, is bow-fishing in the shallows. Children jump and squeal with laughter in the river.

JAKE (V.O.):

This is my last videolog.

INT. LINK ROOM

VIDEO IMAGE -- Jake sits in a chair, talking straight TO CAMERA. He is thin, pale. He looks around the high tech room.

JAKE:

The science guys will keep the lights on, here. But I won't miss this place.

post #1453 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 05:00 PM

^^^^ Post #1435:

Quote:

Cameron told MTV that the discarded footage gave added background on the native Na'vi people of Pandora. "It's all wonderful stuff, but it was sort of bogging down the middle section of the movie," Cameron said. "So there's plenty for a value-added DVD experience on this film. Of course, we'll have to go punch it all up and get it all mixed and stuff like that." There is also a trial ritual where, to become one of the clan, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) must hunt a local beast

post #1454 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Avatar sparks 3-D makeover for action classics

Quote:

Hollywood is preparing to re-release some past hits, including Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, in 3-D following the record-breaking success of Avatar.

Studio executives are drawing up schedules of popular films that will be “retro-fitted” with 3-D technology after the science fiction blockbuster, directed by James Cameron, last week became the second highest grossing movie of all time.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6982297.ece
post #1455 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Avatar sparks 3-D makeover for action classics

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6982297.ece

I will stick with the 2D version of it. It fine the way it is!

Frank
post #1456 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I will stick with the 2D version of it. It fine the way it is!

OK - whatever floats your boat.

Me - I am looking forward to seeing these films again converted to 3D. The more 3D the better!
post #1457 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Not wanting to read through 1500 posts, I will just ask this. Anyone that has seen Avatar IMAX 3-D, did you have any side effects. I ask this because the last time I saw a real 3-D program was T3 at Universal Studios. It was amazing and I throughly enjoyed it, but after the show, I had a searing headache. Has anyone experienced the same at the IMAX 3-D movies?

Randy
post #1458 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hollywood is preparing to re-release some past hits, including Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, in 3-D following the record-breaking success of Avatar.

Great (sarcasm). Sounds like double dipping to me. Hollywood can now do remakes without even changing the story. They'll just farm out the movie to special effect houses that specialize in 3D conversion.
post #1459 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Master 128 View Post

Apparently, Fox released Avatar's original screenplay as a downloadable PDF. I read through it and I was amazed by how much was left on the cutting room floor. It's all therein glorious detail, straight from Cameron's brain. Most of what was ommitted was character development stuff! If I had to guess, I would say there is at least fourty minutes worth of deleted and altered scenes that we never got to see. I wish I could ask Cameron how much of this we'll have a chance to see on the DVD/BluRay. I'm sure most of it was only left out because of the time constraints (over three hours). I would plead with him to make his director's cut version available, in addition to the theatrical. This stuff really adds a lot to the movie.

For those of you that don't have the patience to read through the screenplay, I did it for you!
Spoiler  

There was an interesting bit that got trimmed from the scene where Neytiri took Jake to eat with everyone for the first time. It definitely gives us some insight into what the Na'vi expect from this teaching experiment:
Spoiler  

THE ENTIRE CLAN is squatting at dinner in a huge circle. They stop talking and turn to gaze at Jake as he enters the circle.

JAKE:

Don't get up.

Neytiri crosses the circle to the cook pit and returns with several large leaves heaped with food. She kneels next to Jake, placing the food in front of him almost DEFIANTLY.

JAKE:

You never told me your name.

NEYTIRI:

Neytiri te Ckaha Mo'at'ite.

JAKE:

Okay, again, a whole lot slower.

NEYTIRI:
(exaggerated slowness)

Neytiri. Nay-TEE-ree.

Jake knows she's baiting him. He smiles in response.

JAKE:

Nay-TEE-ree. That's nice. Nay-TEE-ree.

ACROSS THE CIRCLE, Tsu'tey, Mo'at and Eytukan sit together, glancing up occasionally from their food to the stranger.

TSU'TEY:
(subtitled)

These aliens try to look like people, but they can't.

MO'AT:
(subtitled)

He seems dim to me. And his eyes are too small.

NEYTIRI motions for Jake to take portions from the serving leaves onto his own leaf.

JAKE:

Your mom likes me. I can tell.

MO'AT, watching Jake and Neytiri, leans over to Eytukan.

MO'AT:
(subtitled)

Neytiri will test this warrior. He may learn nothing -- but we will learn much.

EYTUKAN:

You speak truth. We must understand these Sky People if we are to drive them out.

Jake munches on a white shrimp-like thing.

JAKE:

These rock. What are they?

NEYTIRI:

Teylu. You call beetle larvae.

Jake blanches. She heaps some more onto his leaf -- a CHALLENGE -- and Jake meets her eyes, takes a handful, and starts munching enthusiastically.

JAKE:

That's some damn fine teylu. That's like grandma's teylu.

CU TSU'TEY, warily eyeing Jake --

TSU'TEY:
(subtitled)

I say she will kill him.

Didn't you wonder about what happened to Grace's school for the Na'vi and why Neytiri wanted to kill Jake when she first saw him?:
Spoiler  

INT. SHACK - NIGHT

Lying in the link, Jake looks exhausted, pale, thin. Norm helps Grace get him to his chair.

GRACE:

You're still losing weight. Here --

She hands him a microwaved burrito. He looks at the now alien
food. Bites into it without enthusiasm.

JAKE:

I made a kill today. We ate it. I know where that meal came from.

GRACE:

Other body. You need to take care of this body.

JAKE:

Yeah yeah.

GRACE:

Jake, I'm serious -- you look like crap. You're burning too hard.

Jake takes the cigarette out of her mouth and stubs it out.

JAKE:

Get rid of this ****, then you can lecture me.

GRACE:

I'm telling you, as your boss and someone who might even consider being a friend someday, to take some down time.

JAKE:

Not now. Tomorrow we leave for Iknimaya.

GRACE walks past Jake, starts making herself coffee.

GRACE:

Yeah -- you're gonna go ride a banshee. Or die trying.

JAKE:

That's right, Grace. This is what I've been working for.

GRACE:

And this is your check up from the neck up, Marine. You're getting in way too deep.

(she turns away)

Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Jake scans the pictures tacked up around Grace's workstation.

JAKE:

What did happen at the school?

GRACE looks up from making coffee. Her eyes track across the
pictures of the laughing children. Finally --

GRACE:

Neytiri's sister -- Sylwanin -- stopped coming to school. She was angry about the clear-cutting.

GRACE sips her coffee, grimaces at the taste.

GRACE:

One day, she and a couple of other young hunters came running in, all painted up -- they'd set a bulldozer on fire -- I guess they thought I could protect them.

GRACE'S voice stays oddly CALM as he tells this terrible story, while getting MILK out of the refrigerator.

GRACE:

The troopers pursued them to the schoolhouse.

MACRO as she pours the milk -- her hand is SHAKING.

GRACE:

They killed Sylwanin in the doorway. Right in front of Neytiri. Then shot the others.

(mildly)

I got most of the kids out, before they shot me.

JAKE:

Jesus.

GRACE:

Yeah.

Jake realizes that Grace is on the verge of tears and desperately trying to hide it.

GRACE:

A scientist stays objective -- we can not be ruled by emotion. But I poured ten years of my life into that school. They called me sa'atenuk. Mother.

(turning to him)

That kind of pain reaches back through the link.

GRACE sits down at the table, looks intently at Jake.

GRACE:

It's a job. Learn what you can -- but don't get attached.

GRACE looks at him with real PAIN in her eyes.

GRACE:

It's not our world, Jake. And we can't stop what's coming.

Cameron mentioned this was one of the deleted scenes he wants on the DVD/BluRay in an interview. It involves Jake and Tsu'tey getting intoxicated together:
Spoiler  

The central space is lit by a BONFIRE, around which the HUNT FESTIVAL is in full swing. Wild dancing. People gnawing on massive sturmbeest ribs. A bowl of some kava-like intoxicant is passed around.

NEYTIRI dances in a flowing costume as the BANSHEE SPIRIT.

NORM is dancing seductively with his own tail.

JAKE, surrounded by young hunters, acts out the leonopteryx attack with his hands. The leaping fire-light plays across the eye sockets of the TORUK SKULL, bringing it to life. It seems to watch Jake.

TSU'TEY squats next to Jake, the usual scowl on his face.

Jake braces himself -- and Tsu'tey holds up the KAVA BOWL, offering it to him. A challenge or an olive branch?

Jake takes a long, hearty drink as some of the young hunters hoot and clap hands in a fast rhythm.

GRACE:

Watch that stuff. It'll knock you into next week.

Jake offers the bowl back to Tsu'tey. They lock eyes. Tsu'tey drinks.

LATER -- AN EMPTY BOWL drops, landing on a pile of empty bowls near the fire.

WIDER ON JAKE and TSU'TEY, sitting amid the rowdy hunters. Tsu'tey looks a little blearily at Jake. Finally, he GRINS.

TSU'TEY:

I thought -- enough drink -- you would not be so ugly.

JAKE:

Sorry.

Tsu'tey looks deep into the fire.

TSU'TEY:

Your warriors -- hide inside machines -- fight from far away.

(he looks at Jake)

I did not think a sky person could be brave.

Before Jake can answer, NEYTIRI'S lithe shape runs through the circle of silhouetted dancers toward them. She takes Jake by the hand and pulls him up --

NEYTIRI:

You must dance! It is the way.

TSU'TEY watches as she leads him away, his face darkening -- the moment of connection to Jake lost to anger.

The hunters WHOOP and CHEER as Jake joins the circle of dancers.

Jake takes Grace's hand and pulls her up, protesting.

JAKE lets the DRUMS and CHANTING flow through him. He lets himself go, dancing from the inside, channeling the primal energy.

GRACE is rocking out, grinning. We see the young girl, so repressed, who lives within her.

Jake and Neytiri flow amongst the dancers, but they are looking only at each other.

A couple of the young girls watching from outside the circle are giggling and talking about them. Mo'at and EYTUKAN follow their look, seeing the obvious connection.

MO'AT:
(subtitled)

We cannot let this seed grow. Her path is with Tsu'tey.

ON JAKE, dancing with abandon to the primal beat, eyes locked with Neytiri.

We saw Jake become one of the Omaticaya people, but we didn't see the vision quest he had to go on before that could happen:
Spoiler  

INT. SHACK KITCHEN - NIGHT

Jake is gulping black coffee like a tequila shot, looking pretty STRUNG OUT. GRACE is smoking furiously.

GRACE:

Jake, I can't allow this. You're just not strong enough.

JAKE:

It's the last door -- I'm going through it. You can help me or get out of the way.

Jake pushes past her toward the corridor --

GRACE:
(grabbing him)

Will you listen to me? Sometimes the Na'vi themselves die in these vision quests. The venom takes you to the edge of death. And the psychoactive alkaloid in the worm-- we have no idea what that'll do in an avatar brain.

Jake breaks free and wheels away, down the corridor.

GRACE follows JAKE as he crosses to the Link. A sheet of LIGHTNING flashes across the sky outside.

Norm is initializing the Link.

NORM:

Calibrating. Thirty seconds.

She puts her hands on his shoulders.

GRACE:

No matter what you prove out there-- you are still in here.

(shaking him)

Right here.

JAKE:

I have to go all the way -- become one of them--

GRACE:
(furiously)

Goddammit, Jake, you can never be one of them!

Norm looks up, startled at the VEHEMENCE in GRACE' voice.

GRACE:

Our life out there takes millions of dollars of machinery to sustain. You visit -- and you leave.

During this, Jake pulls himself from his wheelchair, levering himself into the Link, hauling his useless legs inside.

GRACE:
(softening)

You can never truly be with her. Jake stops, pinioned by the truth. He seems suddenly very lost.

JAKE:

You know why I'm here? Because Quaritch sent me.

NORM:

What?

JAKE:

That's right -- to embed with the Omaticaya. To find out how to screw them out of their home. By deceit or by force, he didn't care. And if it turned out to be force, then how best to do it.

Norm is in shock. But Grace is eerily calm.

GRACE:

And what about now, Jake?

JAKE:

I'm not that guy any more.

Grace nods. She's been on his journey every step of the way.

GRACE:

I know.

JAKE:

But if I tell Quaritch the truth, he yanks me out -- I never see her again. And if I tell her the truth, the clan throws me out -- that's if they don't cut my heart out and show it to me.

Jake looks hopelessly at the two of them. In his own perfect Hell.

NORM:

They won't understand what you've done.

JAKE:

They don't even have a word for lie -- they had to learn it from us.

Grace sees he is on the verge of tears. Lost and alone, between worlds.

GRACE:

I know. I taught it to them.

JAKE:
(pleading)

Grace. I've gotta go. They're waiting.

NORM:

Link is ready.

Grace stops him as he tries to close the lid.

GRACE:

Jake. You can't carry this burden much longer.

JAKE:
(smiling wanly)

It's okay. Mo'at says an alien mind probably can't survive the Dream Hunt anyway.

Grace closes the lid. It feels like closing a coffin. She watches his psionic patterns aligning to his avatar, somewhere out in the night.

GRACE:
(to Norm)

Prep my link. I'm going in.

CUT TO:

JAKE SITS, eyes closed, as Neytiri and another young hunter paint his face and body in preparation for uniltaron -- the Dream Hunt.

NEYTIRI:

When your Spirit Animal comes, you will know.

Their eyes meet with emotion neither can conceal any longer.

TIME CUT. GRACE stands with the crowd at the ramp to HOMETREE'S LOWEST LEVEL. Jake barely sees her as he goes down the spiral. She tries to follow, but is barred by a hunter.

BELOW, seemingly in the womb of the earth, Jake walks slowly into the center of a tight circle of seated elders and hunters. An ELDER is slowly rapping a large WATER DRUM.

TIME CUT -- MO'AT purifies him with smoke from burning herbs, CHANTING in a low monotone. Jake, squatting, washes the smoke over himself with his palms.

MACRO - MO'AT'S FINGERS unwrap a piece of wood riddled with holes. She catches the end of a glowing purple WORM, and draws it out of the wood.

MO'AT:
(subtitled)

Oh wise worm, eater of the Sacred Tree -- bless this worthy Hunter with a true vision.

MO'AT places the worm on Jake's out-stretched TONGUE. It twists on itself, lighting his mouth before he closes it. She indicates he should chew. He does.

MACRO -- AN EARTHEN JAR is opened. EYTUKAN removes a writhing black ARACHNOID, the Pandoran equivalent of a scorpion.

He places it against the back of Jake's neck and presses. The insect drives its stinger into Jake's skin and --

Jake grimaces. Mo'at and Eytukan step back, leaving Jake alone in the circle.

Neytiri watches intently, joining in the low chant.

SLOW DOLLY IN on Jake. His eyes OPEN. He looks around at the faces -- they seem to TRANSFORM, becoming threatening.

Jake looks down at the palms of his hands.

JAKE'S POV -- his hands recede, his whole body, the ground
and --

INSTANTLY the circle of Na'vi recedes, as if to a distant horizon, leaving vast ground in between. SPACE is utterly distorted, and SOUND as well -- echoing, THUNDEROUS.

ECU JAKE -- pupils DILATED black. He looks around and -- The onlookers are gone, replaced by a ring of glowing trees, which seem miles high. The whole image is bathed in spectral radiance. Jake looks down --

JAKE'S POV -- his body and hands transforming -- fingers stretching into tendrils, legs becoming roots which spread outward across the ground, a thousand glowing dendrites which connect to the roots of the trees and --

CUT TO REALITY -- Jake is on his hands and knees, PUKING in the dirt. He contorts, crying out in agony as the venom contracts his muscles but --

IN HIS VISION Jake stands serene on a FLOATING MOUNTAIN CLIFF. A GREAT BLACK SHADOW covers him, the unmistakable X silhouette of a diving LEONOPTERYX. The LAST SHADOW.

CAMERA SCREAMS down on him as the shadow grows larger -- WE RUSH into his face, into the blackness of his pupil which FILLS THE UNIVERSE and --

REAL JAKE writhes in the dirt, his back arched as his muscles seize. He foams and thrashes, his eyes rolled back in his head, while inside --

TIME ITSELF HAS ACCELERATED -- clouds scream around the mountain tops, mist boils through the forest. He feels the wind of time blowing through him as --

REAL JAKE claws the ground, moaning, staring blindly while --

INSIDE, IN POV he FLIES over the landscape of Pandora --

--but the forest is BLASTED. Fires flicker among trees that are BURNED black and lifeless in a smoky twilight.

A great WINGED SHADOW is cast below, rippling over the devastated ground. AVATAR JAKE looks down at the shadow. Realizes HE is casting it, and we RUSH IN to his PUPIL and --

PULL BACK from the eye of a GREAT LEONOPTERYX, flying lordly and terrible over the land. It lets out an almighty SHRIEK which seems to echo to eternity and --

SLAM CUT to Jake, on his back, GASPING -- back in his body. He weakly rolls up to one elbow and looks around the room.

MO'AT:
It is finished.

Neytiri's face is flooded with relief. The faces of the clan elders look at Jake expectantly.

EYTUKAN:
(subtitled)

Did your Spirit Animal come?

Jake looks from Eytukan to Mo'at, Tsu'tey and the elders. How can he tell them what he has seen?

Mo'at puts her splayed fingers against his face, seeming to
peer into his troubled soul.

MO'AT:
(to Jake)

Something has come.

(to the others, subtitled)

It will take time for the meaning to be clear.

She steps back, and Eytukan motions for Jake to stand. He gets up, weakly.

OUTSIDE THE ENCLOSURE -- Eytukan emerges with Jake and the others. The entire clan is gathered, waiting to hear what has happened. Jake looks up at the Leonopteryx Skull Totem, which seems to stare down at him.

GRACE watches, her eyes brimming. Proud. Relieved. Amazed.

Eytukan places both hands on Jake's chest and holds them there.

EYTUKAN:
(subtitled)

You are now a son of the Omaticaya. You are part of the People.

All the members of the clan press forward, crowding around and putting their hands on Jake's shoulders, back, chest -- hands upon hands, until he is connected to everyone.

Cameron has confirmed the sex scene between Jake and Neytiri will be on the DVD/BluRay, but I'm sure you're curious about it:
Spoiler  

Jake puts his fingers on her lips to stop her.

JAKE:

I've already chosen. But this woman must also choose me.

She takes his hands and their fingers intertwine, moving gently over each other.

NEYTIRI:

She already has.

He puts his face close to hers. She rubs her cheek against his. He kisses her on the mouth. They explore each other.

Then she pulls back, eyes sparkling.

NEYTIRI:

Kissing is very good. But we have something better.

She pulls him down until they are kneeling, facing each other on the faintly glowing moss.

Neytiri takes the end of her queue and raises it. Jake does the same, with trembling anticipation. The tendrils at the ends move with a life of their own, straining to be joined.

MACRO SHOT -- The tendrils INTERTWINE with gentle undulations.

JAKE rocks with the direct contact between his nervous system and hers. The ultimate intimacy.

They come together into a kiss and sink down on the bed of moss, and ripples of light spread out around them.

THE WILLOWS sway, without wind, and the night is alive with pulsing energy as we DISSOLVE TO --

LATER. She is collapsed across his chest. Spent. He strokes her face tenderly.

JAKE:

Neytiri, you know my real body is far away, sleeping.

She raises up, placing her fingertips to his chest --

NEYTIRI:

This body is real.

(she touches his forehead)

This spirit is real.

Her eyes are luminous, honest, infinitely deep.

NEYTIRI:

When I was first your teacher, I hated all Sky People. But you have also taught me.

(whispering)

Spirit is all that matters.

She lays her head down, against his chest, listening to his
heartbeat.

NEYTIRI:

I am with you now, Jake. We are mated for life.

JAKE:

We are?

NEYTIRI:

Yes. It is our way.

(innocently)

Oh. I forgot to tell?

He rouses up, making her look at him.

JAKE:

Really, we are?

NEYTIRI:

We are.

Jake considers this.

JAKE:

It's cool. I'm there.

He lays his head down, and her arms enfold him, sheltering him as he sleeps.

INT. SHACK - NIGHT

Jake's eyes open in the darkness. He just lies there, thinking. In his coffin. In another world.

While they were staying in the mobile link-up shack in the Hallelujah Mountains, Trudy and Norm hooked up, changing some of the story:
Spoiler  

HUMAN JAKE emerges from the LINK to see --

TRUDY and NORM caught IN THE ACT on Norm's bunk. Norm blushes
and Trudy waves, pulling the blanket over their heads.

JAKE (V.O.):

Norm's attitude has improved lately.

WHEN TRUDY BUSTS EVERYONE OUT OF LOCKUP

Trudy plants a kiss on Norm as he runs out of the cell.

NORM:

Baby, you rock.

SKIPPING TO LATER

JAKE:

(into his headset) Quaritch is gonna take out the Well of Souls! He's got a clear shot. Hit him, anybody that can! Do it now!

IN HER SAMSON Trudy Chacon is all business.

TRUDY:

On it.

SHE BANKS hard, pulling g's, coming around on the Dragon.
She pours on the coal and the Samson leaps forward, straight
at the WARSHIP.

QUARITCH, DRILLS a stream of tracers at her, tearing through
her canopy, ripping chunks off her fuselage.

IN THE JUNGLE BELOW, Norm watches her kamikaze run --

NORM:

No!

TRUDY:
(clipped, pilot-like)

Norm, I love you.

EXT. RAINFOREST - DAY

Norm takes a few steps and drops to his knees. Imploded by grief.

Would you be surprised to hear that Selfridge didn't authorize Quaritch's preemptive attack against the Na'vi at the Well of Souls?:
Spoiler  

INT. ARMOR BAY - DAY

TROOPERS issue automatic weapons and magazines to a long line of mine workers. The miners lock and load like the redblooded redneck NRA supporters they are.

BLASTING TECHS are setting radio-detonated primer charges into two-ton stacks of EXPLOSIVE COMPOUND. The stacks are band-strapped together on pallets.

TRACKING WITH SELFRIDGE, staring around him in growing dismay as he walks through the full-scale mobilization.

He approaches Quaritch, who is barking orders amid a hive of activity around the ampsuits.

SELFRIDGE:

This thing is completely out of control!

Quaritch ignores him, turning away to focus on ordnance loading.
SELFRIDGE:

Listen to me! I am not authorizing you to turn the mine-workers local into a freakin' militia!

QUARITCH:

I declared threat condition red. That puts all on-world assets under my command.

SELFRIDGE:

You think you can pull this palace coup **** on me?! I can have your ass with one call --

Quaritch grabs him and PINS him against the side of an ampsuit.

QUARITCH:

You're a long way from Earth.

Selfridge is paralyzed. Physical force -- against him? Quaritch releases him and walks away.

QUARITCH:
(to his men)

Get him out of here.

Several troopers converge on Selfridge.

SELFRIDGE:

You touch me you're so fired.

He pushes through them and they escort him toward the door.

Obviously, some of the stuff the Na'vi did to prepare for battle (war paint, piercings, hair braiding, dancing, etc.) got cut:
Spoiler  

EXT. BATTLE CAMP - DUSK

TRACKING through the warrior camp above the Well of Souls. Hundreds of hunters from many clans prepare their weapons.

Hunters paint the wings of their banshees like war ponies. DIREHORSES are painted and ornamented with totemic streamers.

The Na'vi paint and pierce themselves. Dance. Bathe in the smoke of cleansing herbs -- RITUAL PURIFICATION. HUGE DRUMS are beaten. A dark primeval energy. They are psyching themselves up for battle.

JAKE (V.O.):

I was a warrior who dreamed he could bring peace. But there was only one thing I was ever really good at. Ooh-rah.

TIME CUT -- Jake, Neytiri a group of banshee riders squat around an animal skin on which he has drawn the silhouette of a Scorpion gunship -- like a hunt totem.

JAKE:
(Na'vi/subtitled)

Strike here and here.

Jake splats red dye at the centers of the circles symbolizing the rotors. The Na'vi absorb the lesson eagerly, like kids.

He sees TRUDY approaching and breaks off. Neytiri stays with the hunters, talking about what they've learned.

There were a lot of changes made to the final battle. Most of the changes were minor and just eliminated some of the repetitiveness. For example, it described Neytiri attacking other guys in ampsuits with her thanator before she ended up facing Quaritch.

Originally, both of the Valkyrie shuttles were to be part of the battle:
Spoiler  

HE SPRINTS ON as the grenades EXPLODE, shattering the turbines, which riddle the fuselage with shrapnel and --

JAKE LEAPS INTO SPACE, landing on the back of his mount and reconnecting. They flap away, gaining altitude as fire BLASTS out of the bottom of the shuttle.

ON THE FLIGHT DECK, the pilot feels the ship dropping.

PILOT:

Mains to a hundred percent! Get me airspeed!

The pilot and copilot slam the throttle levers forward and --

The FUSION ENGINES BLAZE, thrusting the shuttle forward. It still falls, its remaining lift fans screaming, until --

IT'S CLIPPING the tree tops when it gets enough translational lift to fly and --

THE PILOT PULLS back on the stick, lifting the nose.

PILOT:

We're good!

BEHIND HIM, a surviving Na'vi hunter runs forward and --

THOONK! ARROWHEADS sprout from the pilots' necks and chests.

THE SHUTTLE CLIMBS out of control, at full acceleration. It SLAMS into the underside of MONS Veritatis. It EXPLODES, and hundreds of tons of flaming debris drop back into the forest.

ON THE FLIGHT DECK of the other SHUTTLE, the pilots watch the wreckage falling.

PILOT:

Valkyrie Two is breaking off. And if any of ya'll want to get off this piece of **** planet, you better cover our ass, cause we're the only way back to orbit.

GUNSHIP PILOT:

Roger that.

FROM THE DRAGON COCKPIT Quaritch watches the shuttle bank away, with most of the remaining gunships following.

QUARITCH:

Get back here you worthless pukes!

PILOT:

Are we breaking off?

Quaritch draws his pistol.

QUARITCH:

What do you think?

He is over the edge-- no logic in his brain now. Only death.

INT. OPS CENTER/CORRIDOR

Techs and troopers crowd around consoles, listening to all the yelling and confusion as they try to plot the disintegrating battle.

SELFRIDGE:
(in growing alarm)

What the hell is going on out there?

Tsu'tey survived his fall from the sky (that happened a bit different as well):
Spoiler  

CIRCLING ABOVE, Tsu'tey falls in beside Jake, who talks to him by AIRCOM HEADSET.

JAKE:

We have to stop the shuttles, no matter what it takes.

TSU'TEY nods. He signals, gathering other hunters, who fall in with him as he dives. Jake rolls in after them but --

A GUNSHIP drops in behind him and he is forced to evade as --

TSU'TEY LEADS the attack on the first shuttle. Hunters jink and weave through WITHERING FIRE from the escort ships.

GUNNERS with jerry-rigged gun mounts ride the broad backs of the shuttles, picking off banshees who get past the escort.

TSU'TEY is RAKED by a burst from the dorsal gunners. His mount crumples, plummeting with a dying scream and --

WE SPIRAL DOWN with him, the forest rushing up and --

A BLINDING BLIZZARD of green as he tears downward, catching at leaves and vines. He SLAMS to the ground, badly injured.

NEARBY, ampsuits and troopers advance across the forest floor, firing their cannons and flamethrowers. The GAU-90s rip the forest to shreds.

EXT. RAINFOREST

TSU'TEY lies gasping, mortally injured. He looks up, grimacing, as an ampsuit looms over him.

LYLE WAINFLEET reaches down and grabs Tsu'tey by his queue (ponytail appendage), lifting him painfully.

WAINFLEET:

I hear this is worse than death for you, chief.

WAINFLEET cuts Tsu'tey's queue off near the base. TSU'TEY SCREAMS in agony, his nervous system exploding on overload. Grinning, Lyle holds up the queue -- Tsu'tey's only connection to the world-consciousness which is his life.

This is how it plays out in the end for Tsu'tey (should have been kept in, IMO):
Spoiler  

MO'AT tends to the mortally wounded TSU'TEY as AVATAR JAKE arrives with Neytiri. Mo'at has bound his wounds, but by her expression, it is clear he cannot be saved.

Jake kneels and Tsu'tey opens his eyes. Through a haze of pain, he recognizes Jake.

TSU'TEY:
(Na'vi)

I See you, Jakesully.

JAKE:

I See you, Tsu'tey te Rongloa Ateyitan.

TSU'TEY:

Are the people safe?

JAKE:

They're safe.

Tsu'tey weakly clutches his severed queue (ponytail appendage).

TSU'TEY:

I can never ride again, or bond with my woman -- or hear the voice of Eywa. I can not lead the People. You will lead them, Jakesully.

JAKE:

No. I'm not officer material.

TSU'TEY:

It is decided. Now do the duty of Olo'eyctan. Set my spirit free.

JAKE:

I'm not killing you.

TSU'TEY:

I am already dead.

JAKE:

No.

TSU'TEY:

It is the way. And it is good. I will be remembered --

Tsu'tey's voice is weak, but thick with emotion.

TSU'TEY:

-- I fought with Toruk Macto, we were brothers -- and he was my last shadow.

TSU'TEY'S HAND clasps with Jake's in a fierce grip. Jake draws his knife.

TSU'TEY'S POV -- Jake leans forward, blocking the sun.

HIS SHADOW falls across Tsu'tey.

JAKE:
(Na'vi)

Forgive me, my Brother. Go now to the Mother Spirit.

By his movement, we know that he has ended Tsu'tey's pain.

Jake's eyes well with tears as he continues reciting the prayer for the dead, and his Na'vi words carry over.

So, how exactly did the Na'vi take control of Hell's Gate (the human base) without another big fight?:
Spoiler  

INT. CORRIDOR

Max runs down the hall, leading the other scientists. He's yelling into an AIRCOM HANDSET --

MAX:

Rogue One, Rogue One, this is Max. Tell Jake we are in motion.

(to the scientists)

Get in there. Barricade the door!

INT. LINK ROOM

The door is hurled open and the SCIENTISTS charge in.

Science geeks barricade the door as AVATAR-DRIVERS scramble into their link units, pulling the clamshells down.

INT. CORRIDOR

Max checks the door is secure from his side then runs down a connecting corridor.

INT. OPS CENTER/ HELL'S GATE

ON THE PLOTTING DISPLAY as Quaritch's TRANSPONDER ICON
disappears.

TROOPER:

Dragon is down. It's off the board.

SELFRIDGE:

What do you mean, off the board?!

Selfridge is stunned. Suddenly the ROAR of an ENGINE makes them all look up.

OUTSIDE THE WINDOW, MAX sits in the cab of an enormous SLASHCUTTER. Max flips Selfridge the bird and pushes a lever forward --

SELFRIDGE:

Oh ****.

Selfridge DIVES as --

K-RASHHHHH! The SPINNING TEETH of the SLASH-CUTTER tear through the window in a blast of glass and lethal air. Alarms go off. The technicians dive for cover in a blizzard of glass and shredded debris.

The slash-cutter head pulls back, and AVATARS SCRAMBLE through the gaping hole into the Ops Center --

The TROOPERS look up to see blue giants aiming weapons down at them. The battle is over in seconds. The avatars are holding the Ops Center.

Selfridge lies there gasping, in his emergency mask. In shock. How could this be happening?

Is Neytiri pregnant with Jake's baby?:
Spoiler  

EXT. SPACE

ISV VENTURE STAR hangs suspended against the dark side of PANDORA. The ISV's antimatter engines BLAZE to life and it accelerates out of orbit.

What remains IN FRAME is a virgin, primeval world. Spanning the black continents is a vast reticulated lace-work of BIOLUMINESCENCE -- a ghostly WEB connecting all of Pandora.

CUT TO:

EXT. RAINFOREST - DAY

The sun's rays shaft down through the layers of canopy.

JAKE (V.O.):

The forest will heal, and so will the hearts of the People. New life keeps the energy flowing, like the breath of the world.

NEYTIRI, obviously pregnant, is bow-fishing in the shallows. Children jump and squeal with laughter in the river.

JAKE (V.O.):

This is my last videolog.

INT. LINK ROOM

VIDEO IMAGE -- Jake sits in a chair, talking straight TO CAMERA. He is thin, pale. He looks around the high tech room.

JAKE:

The science guys will keep the lights on, here. But I won't miss this place.

That was a fantastic read. Many of those scenes, selfridge and quaritch about the final battle was shot, it was in a b-roll, along with tstu, his thing was actually shot. I wonder how many of those scenes were shot and actually "rendered" where they can be on a directors cut.
post #1460 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

Great (sarcasm). Sounds like double dipping to me. Hollywood can now do remakes without even changing the story. They'll just farm out the movie to special effect houses that specialize in 3D conversion.

Reliance, In-Three Partner on 2D-3D Conversion Facility in India

http://www.digitalcinemareport.com/node/1443
post #1461 of 3536 Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The only way I see titanic's record being broken is a collabration film... transformers vs avatar in the most mindless action visual with pretty actors co-directed by michael bay & james. That will seal the deal, pull in the most mass appeal and easy break it.

bay will be responsible for the TF's and james with the navi's and the 2 will bump heads to a film with the biggest and grandest explosions and action and make history.

michael, james, Paramount execs...are you reading this?
post #1462 of 3536 Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Not wanting to read through 1500 posts, I will just ask this. Anyone that has seen Avatar IMAX 3-D, did you have any side effects. I ask this because the last time I saw a real 3-D program was T3 at Universal Studios. It was amazing and I throughly enjoyed it, but after the show, I had a searing headache. Has anyone experienced the same at the IMAX 3-D movies?

There have been a few on another forum that have complained about the same thing. From what I read it shoudnt happen!

Frank
post #1463 of 3536 Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

dude, you nailed it. my take exactly on the movie.

best theater experience I have seen since star wars.

my words exactly when emailing news about this movie
to my friends and family.

gamechanger!
post #1464 of 3536 Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:

There have been a few on another forum that have complained about the same thing. From what I read it shoudnt happen!

1. Not all 3D digital cinemas are created equal. Some use a brighter bulb then others. There is no way to find this out beforehand

2. Seating distance. The sweet spot is about 1/3 back from the screen dead center. As you go back in seating, the light level will drop off. Low light levels can and will cause headaches.

3. The best venue is a LieMAX theater because it uses twin projectors (as does a real IMAX 3D theater). Twin projectors will create the highest light levels. RealD and Dolby 3D use a single projector though RealD does have some XL installations which are brighter than a plain realD installation.

Finding the Right 3D Cinema Theatre that is Close to You

http://3dvision-blog.com/finding-the...-close-to-you/
post #1465 of 3536 Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

1. Not all 3D digital cinemas are created equal. Some use a brighter bulb then others. There is no way to find this out beforehand

2. Seating distance. The sweet spot is about 1/3 back from the screen dead center. As you go back in seating, the light level will drop off. Low light levels can and will cause headaches.

3. The best venue is a LieMAX theater because it uses twin projectors (as does a real IMAX 3D theater). Twin projectors will create the highest light levels. RealD and Dolby 3D use a single projector though RealD does have some XL installations which are brighter than a plain realD installation.

Finding the Right 3D Cinema Theatre that is Close to You

http://3dvision-blog.com/finding-the...-close-to-you/

I guess the twin projector route will be the option to go for home. I guess I just have to wait and see how many new and upcoming movies ( movies that are made with 3D in mind like Avatar) there will be.

Frank
post #1466 of 3536 Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:

I guess the twin projector route will be the option to go for home. I guess I just have to wait and see how many new and upcoming movies ( movies that are made with 3D in mind like Avatar) there will be.

Why? The throw distance is nothing like that of a commerical theater.
post #1467 of 3536 Old 01-10-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

can only report on our subjective experiences to date.

my son and friend saw it within first week on regular

RealD. They both complained of headaches afterwards/

Then we saw it as a family on an Imex digital 3d.
Wow, beyond belief!

but get their early as some have reported ghosting
on this format if you view it too far from one side.

another regular poster reports his best viewing was on
a RealD XL. sound is reportedly better on RealD XL,
7.1 vs. 7.0 o Imax.

avoid the traditional version of Imax based on film,
that has not been well reviewed.
post #1468 of 3536 Old 01-10-2010, 02:13 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Why? The throw distance is nothing like that of a commerical theater.

So it can work with a single projector then?

Frank
post #1469 of 3536 Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:

So it can work with a single projector then?

No reason why it wouldn't. They already are selling 3D ready PJ's but they are all 720P. No affordable 3D ready 1080P PJ yet. But I believe that will change in the up and comming months.

Keep in mind that CES is a show. 3D has yet to have it's official kick off in the marketplace. That should happen late 2nd quarter or early 3rd quarter
post #1470 of 3536 Old 01-10-2010, 02:40 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

No reason why it wouldn't. They already are selling 3D ready PJ's but they are all 720P. No affordable 3D ready 1080P PJ yet. But I believe that will change in the up and comming months.

Keep in mind that CES is a show. 3D has yet to have it's official kick off in the marketplace. That should happen late 2nd quarter or early 3rd quarter

I'm glad I waited then. I'm hoping that I don't suffer from it.

Frank
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page