post #181 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rto View Post

That this will be a great action picture, is a no-brainer; I mean, it's James Cameron, for goodness sake!

James Cameron hasn't produced a great action picture in almost 20 years. 15 years if you are willing to count True Lies as a "great action picture."

Movie makers change greatly over 15-20 years. This is *far* from a no-brainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If I decide to see the 3D presentation of this movie should I see it in RealD 3D or Digital IMAX 3D? Would there a difference in the quality of the 3D? Last 3D movie I saw was Beowulf in RealD and was extremely unimpressed.
post #183 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Huh? TRUE LIES was a great action picture and a huge blockbuster. One of the highest grossing R rated films of all time. Considering Cameron's track record, we have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt here. So what if he doesn't make films every couple of years anymore. He's been busy doing other things, creating new cameras, etc. If we all could be so fortunate.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #184 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

If I decide to see the 3D presentation of this movie should I see it in RealD 3D or Digital IMAX 3D? Would there a difference in the quality of the 3D? Last 3D movie I saw was Beowulf in RealD and was extremely unimpressed.

Theoretically, the Imax 3D should be better for the reasons Gary stated above.
post #185 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 25
I caught the Avatar feature on 60 Minutes a couple weeks ago. DAMN.... Cameron is looking old!

Mark
post #186 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Huh? TRUE LIES was a great action picture and a huge blockbuster. One of the highest grossing R rated films of all time. Considering Cameron's track record, we have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt here. So what if he doesn't make films every couple of years anymore. He's been busy doing other things, creating new cameras, etc. If we all could be so fortunate.

True Lies....best_action_movie_ever.

Followed by:

2) Transformers

3) The Fifth Element

in IMO..

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #187 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

True Lies....best_action_movie_ever.

Followed by:

2) Transformers

3) The Fifth Element

in IMO..

Wow......we are soooooooooo very different. I loved TFE, but nowhere close to being in my top three for action movies. I do think that Avatar will be a very good action movie, just got my two midnight IMAX tickets.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #188 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to put it in the 'Action' category, because it wouldn't even crack my top 20 'Sci-fi' list. Probably not even top 50.

post #189 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM

It should be a great movie! I hope so anyway.
post #190 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles3k View Post

When I saw the 16 minutes of footage on Avatar Day at a Imax film theater, it was not full screen. There were black bars printed on all four sides of the image to make it not that much bigger than a large standard movie theater.

Has this been confirmed? That's how it was when I saw the Imax footage, but all of the digital 3D trailers, both scope and flat, are 2.39:1. Also, I've heard that Fox has been calling the digital 3D theaters and asking them about screen masking. This to me suggests that for digital 3D, the movie will be in whatever ratio utilizes the most amount of screen area in that particular theater. Anyone have more info?

Just like every other IMAX DRM'ed print it will most definitely be OAR, so I wouldn't worry about it. The one great thing about paying to see in a full IMAX theater is that you're paying for a certain level of expertise you wouldn't get at a normal theater. My IMAX theater, although owned by a furniture retailer maintains a level of quality that puts on a superb presentation every time (PQ, sound, cleanliness of the theater, etc). Besides, the regular multiplex theater across the street now charges $3 extra to see a 3D movie, so it's exactly the same price to see a 3D movie in the crappy multiplex (which can be an unknown, digital or not), or the IMAX which is perfect every time.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #191 of 3536 Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Just like every other IMAX DRM'ed print it will most definitely be OAR, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not worried, just curious. It's not that often that a movie is released theatrically in 2 different ratios.

Quote:

The one great thing about paying to see in a full IMAX theater is that you're paying for a certain level of expertise you wouldn't get at a normal theater.

Maybe that's how they roll in Natick, but in my town, the Imax theaters are every bit as crappy as the multiplexes. Even the much-hailed Navy Pier has this wonderful policy of cutting off the sound at the start of the end credits in order to use those kick-ass speakers to make an announcement asking people to pick up their trash ("Yeah, now that you've yanked me back to the real world so abruptly, I'll get right on that.").
post #192 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite View Post

yep, same as Titanic.
Was scheduled for May 2009 but was postponed 'til December for more post production, same as Titanic

postponed by butt, cameron is just a greedy sob who doesn't want to compete with the summer movies and wants the opening all to his meglomanica self during the holidays which he will have no competition because of mostly oscar dramas during that period while his is a sci fi action adventure.

im still pissed about titanic the big sappy over hyped piece of 200 mil extravaganza turd about forbidden love from the wrong tracks except now with avatar its the same formula about cross racial love wtih kate winslet role being the blue alien and dicaprio as sam worthington.

same formula different names to pull the same stunt again but really crossing my fingers avatar will be executed with less sappy cliche elementary pop up book stereotyped characters like the over jealous bad guy fiance and poor cocky young lad going after the primed princess daddy's girl...because this blu ray is going to be flawless PQ wise and will be the new 5th element disc that everyone will play to show off their goods.
post #193 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Zoey67,
He actually postponed it to wait for there to be more 3D capable theaters ready worldwide. Since May, there have been hundreds of installations around the world.

Personally, I think Titanic is one of the greatest films ever made. I know some think it's corny, but I don't.

David Budo
post #194 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Zoey67,
He actually postponed it to wait for there to be more 3D capable theaters ready worldwide. Since May, there have been hundreds of installations around the world.

I'm not up on my cinema equipment knowledge, but does anyone know (or is it common knowledge to everyone else) if there are better 3D theaters than others? Is the 3D equipment used a standard, or are there variations (read IMAX and "Fake" IMAX)?

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #195 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not up on my cinema equipment knowledge, but does anyone know (or is it common knowledge to everyone else) if there are better 3D theaters than others? Is the 3D equipment used a standard, or are there variations (read IMAX and "Fake" IMAX)?

Gary's breakdown on the last page does a good job of detailing some of the differences in formats and quality. What I would add to that is once you get down to theaters which use single 2K projectors, there are three common formats: RealD, Dolby, and Master Image. Each has its pros and cons.

RealD is probably the most common. It uses circular polarization, but the polarizer is not as good as the others and causes excessive amounts of ghosting. So a specially processed version of the movie needs to be used which eliminates the ghosting. Unfortunately, it also reduces contrast.

Master Image uses the same type of polarization as RealD, but it does it much better, so none of that processing is required.

Dolby separates the eyes by filtering out different color wavelengths or something like that. I don't really understand the process and just chalk it up to magic, but the end result is that you don't need a silver screen. That's good, because then you have an even level of brightness without hotspots. The downside is that the inside of the lenses on the glasses are sort of mirrored. So if there's a light on in the back of the theater, you can sometimes see it out of the corner of your eye. Also, I've been told by people who wear glasses that if you don't have the Dolby glasses positioned quite right over your real glasses, the reflection creates a double image. Some people have trouble with this and some people don't.

I've seen all three, and there's not much difference between them. Given the option, I'd go with Master Image. But there are enough other factors in determining a theater that this one would not weigh heavily on my decision.

p.s. I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, and it's quite possible that some of my facts are wrong. So if anyone has a better understanding of these things, feel free to correct me.
post #196 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Zoey67,

Personally, I think Titanic is one of the greatest films ever made. I know some think it's corny, but I don't.

technically that could be the case for its sheer magnitude effort I just could not stomach all the cliche cardboard characters and hyper overly sugary mushy undertones and screenplay.

There was not much orginality or charm, it was like cameron just tried to blow ppl's mind with his titanic budget, set production and fx shots. it was just too much showcase and exhibition and not enough creativity and character.
post #197 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Gary's breakdown on the last page does a good job of detailing some of the differences in formats and quality. What I would add to that is once you get down to theaters which use single 2K projectors, there are three common formats: RealD, Dolby, and Master Image. Each has its pros and cons.

RealD is probably the most common. It uses circular polarization, but the polarizer is not as good as the others and causes excessive amounts of ghosting. So a specially processed version of the movie needs to be used which eliminates the ghosting. Unfortunately, it also reduces contrast.

Master Image uses the same type of polarization as RealD, but it does it much better, so none of that processing is required.

Dolby separates the eyes by filtering out different color wavelengths or something like that. I don't really understand the process and just chalk it up to magic, but the end result is that you don't need a silver screen. That's good, because then you have an even level of brightness without hotspots. The downside is that the inside of the lenses on the glasses are sort of mirrored. So if there's a light on in the back of the theater, you can sometimes see it out of the corner of your eye. Also, I've been told by people who wear glasses that if you don't have the Dolby glasses positioned quite right over your real glasses, the reflection creates a double image. Some people have trouble with this and some people don't.

I've seen all three, and there's not much difference between them. Given the option, I'd go with Master Image. But there are enough other factors in determining a theater that this one would not weigh heavily on my decision.

p.s. I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, and it's quite possible that some of my facts are wrong. So if anyone has a better understanding of these things, feel free to correct me.

Here is some more detail on the 3D systems http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...n--Part-One/p6 . I've seen reports of the IMAX digital theaters using colored lenses similar to the Dolby system.

Jim
post #198 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 12:28 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 154
^ Thanks for the info, guys.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #199 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

wtih kate winslet role being the blue alien

So the Blue Alien gets nekkid?? Interesting.
post #200 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The Real D trailer I saw, presented depth and immersion unlike anything I've seen before.

The RealD trailer I saw made it look like a cartoon, but it might have been a lower resolution scan or something. I will certainly go see it, but it looks like rewarmed ideas from a number of other films, including one of Cameron's own (Aliens 2).

CW Hinkle
post #201 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

[i]one of Cameron's own (Aliens 2).

The title of the film is Aliens, not "Aliens 2". You created a redundancy by thinking "Alien 2".
post #202 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The London premiere took place tonight and the first impressions via twitter are "Spectacular", "Benchmark in cinema", "Visual feast", "Groundbreaking", "Mind Blowing", "Not Vomit inducing 3D". Next Thursday night can't come fast enough!

The theater used Dolby 3D and four Barco DP 3000's for a 1300 seat audience. That's crazy. I wonder how big the screen is because one DP 3000 is supposed to be able to do a 96' wide screen via Barco's website.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Dolby-....html?x=0&.v=1

David Budo
post #203 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Planning on visiting an IMAX 3D theater for this. Is it actually formatted for IMAX, or is it just another standard movie shown on IMAX screens?

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #204 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what I found.

70 mm (Kodak Vision 2383) (IMAX DMR blow-up) (dual-strip 3-D)

David Budo
post #205 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I first saw Titanic on the 2-tape VHS release. I didn't want to like it going in, but it got me. I like that it has a little of everything....action, romance, drama, danger; well, we already knew about the danger well in advance. Anyway, Cameron has a pretty good track record up to this point. Will definitely see this next weekend...

post #206 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:

The London premiere took place tonight and the first impressions via twitter are "Spectacular", "Benchmark in cinema", "Visual feast", "Groundbreaking", "Mind Blowing", "Not Vomit inducing". Next Thursday night can't come fast enough!

I'm guessing that means good?

Going to see this at the IMAX San Francisco on the 23rd.
post #207 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I'm guessing that means good?

Going to see this at the IMAX San Francisco on the 23rd.

I actually meant "Not Vomit Inducing 3D". I edited my post. Those were just regular peoples impressions.

David Budo
post #208 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:

I actually meant "Not Vomit Inducing 3D". I edited my post. Those were just regular peoples impressions.

Ah, yes of course.
post #209 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6952668.ece

First official review I could find. 4/5 stars.

David Budo
post #210 of 3536 Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Maybe that's how they roll in Natick

That's not a term I've ever heard associated with Natick.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page