AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Great short post.

I really liked this movie, and i liked the subtlety of the 3rd act. Nothing really happens, but you know Bingham is a changed man.

John -- I think you have put your finger on what I found most satisfying about Up in the Air. In the end, Ryan really had changed and for the better.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I particularly enjoyed the delicious irony of his failed relationship with Alex having been the catalyst for his change. He had avoided serious relationships for most of his adult live because, we assume, he was afraid of getting hurt. But when he finally attempted to get seriously involved with Alex he did get hurt. But he learned and grew from it.
I thought that was lovely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just found the movie a bit too sad. A tragedy disguised as a comedy.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

oh, a movie about life then? (still haven't watched it btw grrrrrr... can't wait)
Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Although the film was often very funny, I agree that it wasn't exactly a comedy, either. I profoundly disagree, though, that Up in the Air was a tragedy. For the reasons stated in Post ##22 and 31, I thought that, in the end, it had an optimistic, forward looking tone. I have liked it more each time I have watched it. Perhaps you should give it another chance now that you are ready for what is coming in the third act.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The more I thought about it after I saw Up in the Air in the Theater, the more satisfied I became with the ending. When I watched it again last night, my opinion was buttressed.

I agree with you that the content of the ending was fine. My quibble is with the execution. I realize that in "real life", challenges/conflicts usually end with a fizzle, time generally just runs out on the situation without a strong, more "dramatic" ending. But I'm bored with modern filmmakers settling for that approach for the endings of their movies. Particularly movies of this kind. Just seems like a lazy excuse for not kicking it up a notch at the end, dramatically in terms of telling the story regardless of the content, for fear that their movie might actually be taken for...a movie.
Spoiler  
gwsat: "Although Ryan (Clooney) did get blindsided when he discovered to his shock and surprise that Alex (Farmiga), who had been happy enough to have a steamy affair with Ryan, had a husband and children. Alex didn't really mislead Ryan and I believe in the end Ryan thought so, too."

Me: But Alex lied to Ryan about her lifestyle. She told him she was just like him, but with a vagina. I assume that's why he felt comfortable about showing up at her place unannounced. He would assume she would be living alone in an apartment with no commitment to turning it into a home. No?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I watched this one last night and loved it.

I wouldn't call it a comedy exactly but there were quite a few times that my wife and I laughed pretty hard.

Spoiler  

To say that Alex didn't mislead Ryan is off base. She surely did. Maybe not at first, but by the time she was invited to his sister's wedding and he spent the day showing her around places from his childhood, she should have felt the need to tell him that she was married. Most people would've, or at least known that they were being misleading.

I thought the ending was just fine. Ryan undoubtedly feels different about family; both his family or the prospect of starting his own, so it's ironic (and sad) that he gets called back to the road.

Cary
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

I agree with you that the content of the ending was fine. My quibble is with the execution. I realize that in "real life", challenges/conflicts usually end with a fizzle, time generally just runs out on the situation without a strong, more "dramatic" ending. But I'm bored with modern filmmakers settling for that approach for the endings of their movies. Particularly movies of this kind. Just seems like a lazy excuse for not kicking it up a notch at the end, dramatically in terms of telling the story regardless of the content, for fear that their movie might actually be taken for...a movie.
Spoiler  
gwsat: "Although Ryan (Clooney) did get blindsided when he discovered to his shock and surprise that Alex (Farmiga), who had been happy enough to have a steamy affair with Ryan, had a husband and children. Alex didn't really mislead Ryan and I believe in the end Ryan thought so, too."

Me: But Alex lied to Ryan about her lifestyle. She told him she was just like him, but with a vagina. I assume that's why he felt comfortable about showing up at her place unannounced. He would assume she would be living alone in an apartment with no commitment to turning it into a home. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post

I watched this one last night and loved it.

I wouldn't call it a comedy exactly but there were quite a few times that my wife and I laughed pretty hard.

Spoiler  

To say that Alex didn't mislead Ryan is off base. She surely did. Maybe not at first, but by the time she was invited to his sister's wedding and he spent the day showing her around places from his childhood, she should have felt the need to tell him that she was married. Most people would've, or at least known that they were being misleading.

I thought the ending was just fine. Ryan undoubtedly feels different about family; both his family or the prospect of starting his own, so it's ironic (and sad) that he gets called back to the road.

Guys -- Here's my take on what you have said.
Spoiler  
I think that by her own lights, Alex's comment to Ryan that she was just like him, only with a vagina, was correct. She proved the truth of that over and over again when she was with Ryan, it seems to me. That kind of conduct in the minds of most people would be antithetical to the presence of a husband and children in her life.

Alex may have used bad judgment when she accepted Ryan's invitation to his sister's wedding but maybe not. After all, Ryan went out of his way to make clear how far he habitually would go to avoid commitment. Thus, the last thing Alex thought would ever happen would be for Ryan to become serious enough about their relationship to show up at the front door of her home. That's why I gave her credit for having been acting in good faith.
But you guys certainly have a point. It is just this sort of ambiguity that made Up in the Air so fascinating to me.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:

Although the film was often very funny, I agree that it wasn't exactly a comedy, either. I profoundly disagree, though, that Up in the Air was a tragedy. For the reasons stated in Post ##22 and 31, I thought that, in the end, it had an optimistic, forward looking tone. I have liked it more each time I have watched it. Perhaps you should give it another chance now that you are ready for what is coming in the third act.

I am right in the middle of your 2 opinions I did not feel it was tragic or optimistic by the time the credits rolled, but more that he just came to "accept" who he was and what his life was about good and bad. I did not perceive it as tragic or optimistic though.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I am right in the middle of your 2 opinions I did not feel it was tragic or optimistic by the time the credits rolled, but more that he just came to "accept" who he was and what his life was about good and bad. I did not perceive it as tragic or optimistic though.

I didn't perceive it as tragic or optimistic either.
It is what it is was my interpretation.
Like or not, that is how life really is.
Tossing around labels or moralizing behavior misses the entire point of being human...which is to EXPERIENCE THE REALITY we are thrust into.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
gwsat, I'll see your fascinating-due-to-the-ambiguity point and raise you one...

Spoiler  
If I'm not mistaken, Alex goes beyond telling Ryan she's like him but with a vagina. I think she actually encourages him to "Think of me as you, but with a vagina" or something to that effect.

Now, considering everything that came before, Ryan's first hand observation of the way Natalie (Kendrick) is affected emotionally by her job vs the way he handles it, his newfound insight into what his niece needed from his future nephew-in-law, the way his hot neighbor needed to move on rather than remain on standby ready for him between business trips and so on, Ryan probably should have concluded that "him with a vagina" would be a very different kind of person. Everyone else in the movie with a vagina certainly is a different kind of person than he is and much of the road trip he's taking seems to be teaching him that lesson, except for Alex...or so he thinks.

Maybe there was an "I needed that" slap in the face issue at work behind his bizarre decision to show up at Alex's place unannounced. Maybe we were to take Alex's encouragement to "Think of me as you, but with a vagina" as a moment when this movie was challenging him (and us) to start putting the lessons of this road trip together, even if that isn't exactly what she meant by it.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Tossing around labels or moralizing behavior misses the entire point of being human...which is to EXPERIENCE THE REALITY we are thrust into.

It is what it is I agree is a great way to put it

Old 03-12-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

gwsat, I'll see your fascinating-due-to-the-ambiguity point and raise you one...

Spoiler  
If I'm not mistaken, Alex goes beyond telling Ryan she's like him but with a vagina. I think she actually encourages him to "Think of me as you, but with a vagina" or something to that effect.

Now, considering everything that came before, Ryan's first hand observation of the way Natalie (Kendrick) is affected emotionally by her job vs the way he handles it, his newfound insight into what his niece needed from his future nephew-in-law, the way his hot neighbor needed to move on rather than remain on standby ready for him between business trips and so on, Ryan probably should have concluded that "him with a vagina" would be a very different kind of person. Everyone else in the movie with a vagina certainly is a different kind of person than he is and much of the road trip he's taking seems to be teaching him that lesson, except for Alex...or so he thinks.

Maybe there was an "I needed that" slap in the face issue at work behind his bizarre decision to show up at Alex's place unannounced. Maybe we were to take Alex's encouragement to "Think of me as you, but with a vagina" as a moment when this movie was challenging him (and us) to start putting the lessons of this road trip together, even if that isn't exactly what she meant by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

It is what it is I agree is a great way to put it

These are all excellent analysis. The variety of opinions expressed here about both Ryan's and Alex's motivations are what makes the film so endlessly interesting to me. These are complex characters and their interaction in the film dramatized that complexity. Hell, the movie may have been as much fun as this thread has been.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

These are all excellent analysis. The variety of opinions expressed here about both Ryan's and Alex's motivations are what makes the film so endlessly interesting to me. These are complex characters and their interaction in the film dramatized that complexity. Hell, the movie may have been as much fun as this thread has been.

I agree. I think its really cool and very representative of the depth/brilliance of this film that we all are interpreting this in a different way and there is no right answer. I love films/music/books, etc that do that and to me this is a sign of true art

Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I read this on imdb and found it very uplifting:

With the exception of the famous actors, every person we see fired in the film is not an actor but a real life recently laid off person. The filmmakers put out ads in St. Louis and Detroit posing as a documentary crew looking to document the effect of the recession. When people showed up, they were instructed to treat the camera like the person who fired them and respond as they did or use the opportunity to say what they wished they had.

I hope they received some decent pay, as well as some personal closure.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

With the exception of the famous actors, every person we see fired in the film is not an actor but a real life recently laid off person. The filmmakers put out ads in St. Louis and Detroit posing as a documentary crew looking to document the effect of the recession. When people showed up, they were instructed to treat the camera like the person who fired them and respond as they did or use the opportunity to say what they wished they had.

I had no idea! Once I saw J.K. Simmons and Zach Galifianakis, I just assumed that everybody else who played one of the fired employees was an actor, too.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

WOW...just WOW!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
I was wondering why the no-name workers were uglier than the rest of the cast.

Seriously, though, you could tell that some had no professional (or any) makeup, the lighting seemed more documentary style, etc.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 172
According to Jason Reitman in the commentary George Clooney doesn't use makeup either. And they did set those shots up as if they were doing a documentary and had the camera behind a black cloth with only the lens visible.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Yeah, I'm just saying the first time I saw the montages of people being fired, I thought, "These aren't actors. I don't know who they are, but they're not actors." Turns out I was right.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 03-13-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Has anyone watched the deleted scenes to this film?I actually think adding 15 more minutes to the film with these scenes would have added to the films enjoyment.The spacesuit scene is priceless.

Matt
Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Yeah, I'm just saying the first time I saw the montages of people being fired, I thought, "These aren't actors. I don't know who they are, but they're not actors." Turns out I was right.

No wonder it felt authentic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Has anyone watched the deleted scenes to this film?I actually think adding 15 more minutes to the film with these scenes would have added to the films enjoyment.The spacesuit scene is priceless.

Dang, I missed it.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The spacesuit scene is priceless.

Did you have the commentary on? The explanation on why it was cut is interesting.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 102
No I didnt and disc has moved on.Could you tell us? Thanks

Matt
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The deleted scenes included a very long sequences showing him setting up a large loft in Omaha, "nesting" as it were, and seemingly enjoying the process. I think it was intended to show him making a place for her to visit. I think the trip he made to Chicago came after that. Otherwise, the deleted scenes were mainly extended versions of existing scenes. The space suit sequence was funny, but didn't really fit the film.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My wife and I watched this movie last night; both thought it was just OK. What got my attention more than anything was that the movie is really a 90 minute advertisement for Hilton Hotels (& their Hilton HHonors (correct spelling) program) and American Airlines. I know that product placement in movies is common, but these two sponsors must have paid for the costs of the entire production. Oddly, that kind of hit home for me since when I was still traveling a lot, I collected every Hilton point I could, and miles on Continental. It really PO'ed me when my company removed all Hilton Brand Hotels from their approved hotel list.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:

No I didnt and disc has moved on.Could you tell us? Thanks

Well, if you send me a gift certificate for a liquor store near me...

Basically he says it's too surreal to put in a movie that shows realistic views of people's lives.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM

Vera isn't too bad but I knew right away that view of her back was a younger woman in better shape. Then upon searching, I found this.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

Vera isn't too bad but I knew right away that view of her back was a younger woman in better shape. Then upon searching, I found this.

She is one of those woman who has a certain sensuality that keeps my attention a little longer than normal.
It isn't her body (although it is my type), it's her voice and eyes.
She moves her eyes in such a way as to appear she misses nothing.
Mmmmmmm......

Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM

I enjoyed the movie, but to me its overrated. I enjoyed how George Clooney grows in the movie but I dont understand the great reputation this movie has. Oink, I knew that was going to happen the moment he decided to do it.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

Oink, I knew that was going to happen the moment he decided to do it.

When he decided to do what?