The Most Boring Movie You Have Ever Seen - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 973 Old 10-03-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't know why, but even if the story's decent, if the movie's full of excessive CGI, it always tends to do that to me, too.

The worst thing I hate about it is that "bounding" that looks so unnatural from the living beings.

(Not counting fully-animated features, of course - which is the only place that excessive use of it actually belongs, IMO.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 973 Old 10-04-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I'd bet there's millions of people that find Doctor Zhivago and Gone With The Wind boring, but aren't willing to admit it in public due to the popularity of those films. Personally I can't make it through either of them in a single sitting, 20 to 30 minutes chunks is all I can take at one time.

I think the editors on these films ran out of either razor blades or splicing tape and decided to just stop editing at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post

+1. Very boring.

I could not agree more about Doctor Zhivago, it made my eyes glaze over. Gone With the Wind, however, has been and remains one of my favorite films, despite its extraordinary length. I thought that Vivien Leigh, as the willful southern bell Scarlet O'Hara, and Clark Gable, as the charming bad boy Rhett Butler, gave the best performances of their long and illustrious careers.
post #273 of 973 Old 10-04-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I could not agree more about Doctor Zhivago, it made my eyes glaze over. Gone With the Wind, however, has been and remains one of my favorite films, despite its extraordinary length. I thought that Vivien Leigh, as the willful southern bell Scarlet O'Hara, and Clark Gable, as the charming bad boy Rhett Butler, gave the best performances of their long and illustrious careers.

Agreed.
I continue to try Zhivago (I am even very interested in Russian history).
Don't know why I can't get into it.
Basically, it's a Russian GWTW.

GWTW is a great soap opera, always enjoy it.
BTW, the BD will be here soon!

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #274 of 973 Old 10-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Liked: 11
The Truman Show

God, don't ever make me do that again.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.
post #275 of 973 Old 10-04-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

Peter Jackson's King Kong put me right out. It's the first time I ever fell asleep in the theater.

Jackson's Kong was just a bad movie. And Jack Black was completely mis-cast. Come to think of it, the Jessica Lange version wasn't all that great either. I have never seen the 1933 version though.

post #276 of 973 Old 10-04-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

GWTW is a great soap opera, always enjoy it.
BTW, the BD will be here soon!

The BD version of Gone With the Wind will apparently be released sometime in November. I already have it in my NF queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Jackson's Kong was just a bad movie. And Jack Black was completely mis-cast. Come to think of it, the Jessica Lange version wasn't all that great either. I have never seen the 1933 version though.

The 1933 version of King Kong, with Fay Wray as the damsel in distress, is a true classic. Believe it or not, it is still among the IMDb's Top 250 Best Movies, despite its age. Give it a look, I don't think you will regret it. It has the original, and still the best, Empire State Building scene, with Wary, King Kong, and a bunch of really old timey fighter planes. I thought that Peter Jackson's version of the film was just all right. I didn't hate it but its runtime of three hours plus is excessive, it seems to me. In stark contrast, the 1933 version is less than an hour and forty-five minutes long, which is more like it.
post #277 of 973 Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 1933 version of King Kong, with Fay Wray as the damsel in distress, is a true classic. Believe it or not, it is still among the IMDb's Top 250 Best Movies, despite its age. Give it a look, I don't think you will regret it. It has the original, and still the best, Empire State Building scene, with Wary, King Kong, and a bunch of really old timey fighter planes. I thought that Peter Jackson's version of the film was just all right. I didn't hate it but its runtime of three hours plus is excessive, it seems to me. In stark contrast, the 1933 version is less than an hour and forty-five minutes long, which is more like it.

Maybe the 1933 version will come out on Blu-ray.

I can't say why I've never seen this version. I guess mainly because it's never crossed my mind to actively seek a copy out. What's funny, is that growing up, a friend of mine's dad had the 1933 version on 16mm film. He even wrote a book about the film. But for some reason, we never loaded it up (the film) on the projector and watched it.

post #278 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 AM

Liked: 10
Napoleon Dynamite.. whatever it is.
post #279 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 06:06 AM

Liked: 12
Jackson's King Kong was a true epic and a great follow-up to his even more epic LOTR trilogy. Just like the LOTR triolgy, his King Kong was extremely well-made, well acted, well produced, and a visceral knockout. It is definitely an undertaking to watch the film, but it was well worth it to me as I thought it served the scope of the story well. Jack Black played his eccentric, self-serving character well and I give kudos to Jackson for casting him despite the obvious stigma against it. In addition to all that, the CGI that Jackson and his NZ house produced is just jaw-droppingly incredible and worth the price of admission alone.

Interesting to see the other views on it though, and I can certainly understand how someone would be bored with the film, lol.
post #280 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Jackson's King Kong was a true epic and a great follow-up to his even more epic LOTR trilogy. Just like the LOTR triolgy, his King Kong was extremely well-made, well acted, well produced, and a visceral knockout. It is definitely an undertaking to watch the film, but it was well worth it to me as I thought it served the scope of the story well. Jack Black played his eccentric, self-serving character well and I give kudos to Jackson for casting him despite the obvious stigma against it. In addition to all that, the CGI that Jackson and his NZ house produced is just jaw-droppingly incredible and worth the price of admission alone.

Interesting to see the other views on it though, and I can certainly understand how someone would be bored with the film, lol.

It's funny. I love the LOTR Extended Edition movies and have seen them more times than I can remember. I really wanted to like King Kong.

post #281 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Well, since this thread seems to be all about committing cinematic heresy - naming movies generally acknowledged to be among the greatest ever made and declaring them "boring" -I might as well throw in my $.02.

I've always found Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy insufferably pretentious and tedious. Blue was literally (and I really mean literally) the only movie I've ever fallen asleep during at the theater. I tried it again a few years later on DVD and barely made it through. And IMO Red is almost embarrassingly awful.

But people really love these movies. I just don't get it.

Also: Shawshank Redemption. I cannot comprehend what people see in that movie. I found it exceedingly dull and cliched.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #282 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Well, since this thread seems to be all about committing cinematic heresy - naming movies generally acknowledged to be among the greatest ever made and declaring them "boring" -I might as well throw in my $.02.

I've always found Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy insufferably pretentious and tedious. Blue was literally (and I really mean literally) the only movie I've ever fallen asleep during at the theater. I tried it again a few years later on DVD and barely made it through. And IMO Red is almost embarrassingly awful.

Also: Shawshank Redemption. I cannot comprehend what people see in that movie. I found it exceedingly dull and cliched.

I agree that the Three Colors Trilogy are overblown, self-congratulatory bores. Nevertheless, I love Shawshank. I believe it to be among the handful of greatest films ever made. It is one of the few movies I own on BD.
post #283 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

Peter Jackson's King Kong put me right out. It's the first time I ever fell asleep in the theater.

I agree with this, it really is tons of demo material strung together only reasonably well. It just didn't have to be that long.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #284 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I agree with this [Peter Jackson's King Kong], it really is tons of demo material strung together only reasonably well. It just didn't have to be that long.

Yeah, I don't know what compels Peter Jackson to make all his movies so loooong. Even the VERY highly regarded The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King has a runtime of more than 200 minutes and the extended edition is more than 250 minutes long! Each of the first two Lord of the Rings films runs three hours. Watching something that long takes a lot of dedication.
post #285 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've always found Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy insufferably pretentious and tedious. Blue was literally (and I really mean literally) the only movie I've ever fallen asleep during at the theater. I tried it again a few years later on DVD and barely made it through. And IMO Red is almost embarrassingly awful. But people really love these movies. I just don't get it.

Two things really keep my attention with these: the woman and the cinematography.
But, yeah, I know what you are saying...

Quote:

Although good, it is overrated IMO.
Hard to get too emotionally involved in a prison drama.

post #286 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

Yeah, I don't know what compels Peter Jackson to make all his movies so loooong. Even the VERY highly regarded The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King has a runtime of more than 200 minutes and the extended edition is more than 250 minutes long! Each of the first two Lord of the Rings films runs three hours. Watching something that long takes a lot of dedication.

One thing I love about the Extended Edition on DVD the movies was split into 2 Discs. I'd watch the first Disc one night and the second on another (movies of this kind are mainly watched at night, not recommended for my kids at this stage). I did it once watching (ROTK) began it late night I decided to watch the whole movie, I tell you by the end my body felt drained it required desperate need of sleep.

Frank
post #287 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Finally! Someone agrees with me that Three Colors is a great example of the stereotypical "French" film. Pretentious. Tedious. etc, etc.

But I still have everyone else beat by falling asleep during a showing of Citizen Kane. And this wasn't just any showing. It was a showing, at that time, of newly restored print at the old Cine Capri (Cine Capri). It was totally packed since it was the first day of the showing, but I was snoozing away. Had to ask a friend what the heck Rosebud was since I slept through the ending.
post #288 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But I still have everyone else beat by falling asleep during a showing of Citizen Kane. And this wasn't just any showing. It was a showing, at that time, of newly restored print at the old Cine Capri (Cine Capri). It was totally packed since it was the first day of the showing, but I was snoozing away. Had to ask a friend what the heck Rosebud was since I slept through the ending.

We, the sacred members of this forum, hereby request your resignation....immediately.

post #289 of 973 Old 10-05-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I agree with this, it really is tons of demo material strung together only reasonably well. It just didn't have to be that long.

Art

Agreed, there's just no acceptable reason for a movie about a giant gorilla to be that long.

The 1933 version is still one of my favorites of all time, I used to watch it all the time when I was a kid.
post #290 of 973 Old 10-06-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

We, the sacred members of this forum, hereby request your resignation....immediately.

I love Citizen Kane, too. It is one of my all time favorites; I believe it is one of the finest films ever made. It was Orson Welles' masterpiece, to say the least. I thought that it was riveting from beginning to end.
post #291 of 973 Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I found Citizen Kane boring as well **ducks and runs for cover**

That's not to say I can't watch it and appreciate it as a film though. One viewing was enough to add to my "art history appreciation" repoitoirre. Just not something I would sit down at 11:00 at night and be able to stay awake through.

I can't really say what the most boring movie I've ever seen has been. I just watched 2046, and it took me 3 viewings to get through it (kept dozing off...which is not good when the film is subtitled)
post #292 of 973 Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM

Liked: 12
I have to add 'American Psycho' to this thread.. Although I enjoyed a few moments here and there (Christian Bale's performance overall was excellent but I particurlarly enjoyed his song & artist diatribes and the business card envy scenes), overall I found myself squirming in my seat out of utter boredom and lack of interest. I felt that practically every one else's performance sucked and the film left me feeling more annoyed and tired than disgusted and intellectually stimulated as it was intending to.
post #293 of 973 Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Fire in the Sky.
First move I ever fell asleep too.

Worst was Ax-em or Blair Witch
post #294 of 973 Old 10-06-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
R Harkness and oink: "The Searchers?" Dudes, that is surely one of the greatest films ever made.

Overrated. Stagecoach, Rio Grande and My Darling Clementine were all better, though the beginning of The Searchers promises one of the best films ever made. Unfortunately, after the rest of the posse depart from Wayne and Hunter it morphs into a slow 1950's Warner Brothers film. And the book had a much better ending. I have longed dreamed of a remake, but I'm sure everyone is afraid to touch it. Plus Westerns have become box-office poison.

CW Hinkle
post #295 of 973 Old 10-06-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Shaded, you may be right that "The Searchers" is too revered for a remake, particularly given the box office failures in the western genre. But "they" seem willing to remake almost anything...

As for myself, I thought the movie remained brilliant throughout, although I concede that the opening sequences were the best. Heck, they're among the best scenes in any genre, ever. Just awe-inspiring film-making from John Ford.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #296 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtogMuncher View Post

Wall-E, didn't watch more than 15 minutes of it.

??? The first 15-minutes of this movie were the best part of it! And so great! I got bored near the middle and end of the movie - all that slapstick action.

|
|
2011 Mits DLP owners: upgrade firmware to 13.06 to fix picture quality. More here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21726833
post #297 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I have longed dreamed of a remake, but I'm sure everyone is afraid to touch it. Plus Westerns have become box-office poison.

Remake a Wayne flick? there isnt an actor who can fill the Dukes shoes. who wants to mess with an icon?

He kicked deaths arse 3 times.

Quote:

The evening before a shoot he was trying to get some sleep in a Las Vegas hotel. The suite directly below his was that of Frank Sinatra (never a good friend of Wayne), who was having a party. The noise kept Wayne awake, and each time he made a complaining phone call it quieted temporarily but each time eventually grew louder. Wayne at last appeared at Sinatra's door and told Frank to stop the noise. A Sinatra bodyguard of Wayne's size approached saying, "Nobody talks to Mr. Sinatra that way." Wayne looked at the man, turned as though to leave, then backhanded the bodyguard, who fell to the floor, where Wayne knocked him out by crashing a chair on top of him. The party noise stopped.

nobody messes with the Duke!
post #298 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That's a great anecdote about John Wayne. Put those snooty [_s] in their place.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #299 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I have longed dreamed of a remake, but I'm sure everyone is afraid to touch it.

Ron Howard more-or-less remade The Searchers a few years ago, with The Missing.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #300 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'd like to see a remake of The Searchers because I'd like to see it with the book's ending. And, as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like to see it made over time. We've had startling films in which actors remake their bodies (Raging Bull, The Mechanic, but the only thing I can think of made over time is the 7 Up, 14 Up, 21 Up etc, documentary series about the group of children in England growing into adulthood.

You would need a extraordinary child star (Dakota Fanning in her younger days would have been perfect) and a thirtysomething and twentysomething for Ethan and Martin. The book took place over a five year period or so, as I recall. Make the movie take place over ten years. Watch the actors age and the child grow up. It could be an extraordinary experience, but one would have to have the courage to keep the film on the shelf for a long period of time, so it probably could never really happen.

CW Hinkle
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page