post #451 of 973 Old 12-17-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Well, from what I read of Lynch's comments on the film.. that didn't seem like that was his intent (perhaps I didn't read the right comments or didn't read enough of them). From what I gathered, the whole film is a spiritual metaphor. Are we sure that certain people arent just reading too much into it or assigning their own interpretations? The whole nightmare angle does make it more interesting and noteable, but also firmly establishes that there is a definite reason no one else has tried it before or since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Ha, I like that.

Usually I'm all for a movie not spelling everything out for you and leaving some interpretation up to the viewer. However, Eraserhead is one that I'd like a word by word summary of just what exactly Lynch was doing in his own words.

I'll PM Josh and see if he wishes to comment on Eraserhead.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 973 Old 12-18-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I'll PM Josh and see if he wishes to comment on Eraserhead.

Post 400.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17427870

I can't read this thread regularly. Reading many of the comments in it really makes me depressed.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #453 of 973 Old 12-18-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Naming some generally highly regarded movies that turned out to be very boring is always more fun.

These came to mind almost immediately.

The English Patient
Chariots of Fire
There Will Be Blood
The Dark Knight
The Big Sleep
Solaris
The Shawshank Redemption

Josh's story about his wife sleeping through an entire movie from the opening studio logo to the closing credits and then declaring it the most boring movie she's ever seen rings so true. I've had many people tell me how boring some truly great movies are only to discover after a little prodding that they really hadn't seen it from the beginning if at all, weren't actually paying much attention because it was playing in the background during a game of billiards or something or only heard from others how boring it was..."others" who themselves probably had never seen it.
post #454 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

The Fountain with whathisface from the X Men.

Biggest pile of misrepresented crap the wife and I ever had the missfortune to pay to see. There's a couple of hours that could have been better spent.

Seggers

Edit: BTW, what was wrong with the HP film? We quite liked it.

I loved the Fountain. I've watched it 3 times, loved it each time. It's not for everybody though. I venture to say it falls into the same category as 2001: bored lots and lots of people who just weren't down with the concept.

post #455 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

Does bad = boring?

The movie that ALWAYS comes first to mind in any of these threads has not been mentioned yet. I think it was so bad/boring, it has been forgotten.

ISHTAR.

Yeah, in my opinion, bad does = boring. Good movies are never too long (or else they cease being good) or too slow (same premise).

I'm an extremely patient viewer if the movie is unique, interesting, or engaging in any way. I'd rather sit through 8 hours of The Fountain than 2 hours of "Dude, Where's my Car."

post #456 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
just the movies, that i can remember, i've either stopped before it was over or kept looking at the timer on the player to see how much longer i had to go

Memento
A History of Violence
Watchmen
Syriana
Pride and Glory
Waterworld
Mars Attack

that's just the ones i can remember, i know there is more but i guess i've blocked them out of my mind

"I believe, that whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you....Stranger" - Joker
post #457 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The English Patient
Chariots of Fire
There Will Be Blood
The Dark Knight
The Big Sleep
Solaris
The Shawshank Redemption

Chariots of Fire?? Shawshank Redemption? The Dark Knight??

Those are some of the better movies ever made, I dont know how anyone could call them boring. Would you mind expounding on why you found these boring?
post #458 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

Chariots of Fire?? Shawshank Redemption? The Dark Knight??

Those are some of the better movies ever made, I dont know how anyone could call them boring. Would you mind expounding on why you found these boring?

i agree Shawshank and The Dark Knight are some of my favorite movies of all time....

"I believe, that whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you....Stranger" - Joker
post #459 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post

just the movies, that i can remember, i've either stopped before it was over or kept looking at the timer on the player to see how much longer i had to go

Memento
A History of Violence
Watchmen
Syriana
Pride and Glory

that's just the ones i can remember, i know there is more but i guess i've blocked them out of my mind

First one is one of the best movies of the decade! 2nd and 3rd are excellent! 4th is pretty good! Havent seen 5... this thread is always quite interesting
post #460 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

Naming some generally highly regarded movies that turned out to be very boring is always more fun.

The English Patient
Chariots of Fire
There Will Be Blood
The Dark Knight
The Big Sleep
Solaris
The Shawshank Redemption

Josh's story about his wife sleeping through an entire movie from the opening studio logo to the closing credits and then declaring it the most boring movie she's ever seen rings so true. I've had many people tell me how boring some truly great movies are only to discover after a little prodding that they really hadn't seen it from the beginning if at all, weren't actually paying much attention because it was playing in the background during a game of billiards or something or only heard from others how boring it was..."others" who themselves probably had never seen it.

The Shawshank redemption is one of the finest movies ever made, and a downright religious experience for many who have seen it. Solaris was slow, but interesting. The Dark Knight?

If I was feeling snooty I'd recommend that you start taking dexamphatamine for your ADHD. My doc just put me on it because I've got severe sleep apnea and can't stay awake, and even I could manage to stay awake during multiple viewings of most of the movies in your list.

post #461 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

First one is one of the best movies of the decade! 2nd and 3rd are excellent! 4th is pretty good! Havent seen 5... this thread is always quite interesting

the 5th one i stopped within 10 minutes cause it seemed like they were seeing how many times the could drop the F Bomb in 2 minutes. i can only stand some much when it comes to cursing and i really don't care for the F bomb so and they said it one too many times.

i know a lot of people loved memento but i just couldn't stand it. it definitely is not one of the best movies of the decade in my book. i couldn't finish watching a history of violence either. watchmen i had high hopes for but it was the one i did finish (only because i was watching it with a friend and i didn't know if he wanted to finish it. come to find out he didn't care to finish it either) but i was looking at the times from time to time to see how much longer it had. which is a shame cause i really wanted to like it and i like almost every super hero movies that's been made here recently. if i read the graphic novel i might have like it. syriana was just boring to me, it wasn't awful but it wasn't good either. i did finish watching it though.

oh would like to add one more movies to my list

traffic

post #462 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you mind expounding on why you found these boring?

Chariots of Fire
Who in god's name cares whether or not some annoying attention-whore alters the schedule of a relatively meaningless foot race to accommodate his inconvenient religious dictums. The old guy's mouth was so full of marbles I couldn't understand two words he spoke. Slo-mo running shots? Those were already hackneyed and overused by the time this movie was released. Now, they're damned near insufferable.

The Dark Knight
A narrative train wreck. One story or plot-line is so rambling and incoherent, they drop it for another...then another. I saw everything Ledger had to offer for his character in the first 3 minutes of his screen time. After that, no surprises. Character traits or a dramatic arch for Batman were non-existant. LOOOOOONNNNGGG conversation about the exact themes of this movie between Batman and the Joker while the Joker is hanging upsidedown, just in case you missed them...what had come before was THAT uncinematic. And all those embarrassingly badly acted scenes of the "townspeople" and "police", apparently after Nolan handed the script pages to extras on the set to see if there was anything they could do with them to kill some time and get a SAG union bump.

The Shawshank Redemption
Overly arch, badly staged and paced melodrama. Freeman's voice-over was ok. The only high point. But what he was commenting on was so obvious and charicatured, the "villians" might as well have twirled the tips of waxed mustaches to make sure we knew how eeeeeevil they are.
post #463 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The English Patient
Chariots of Fire
There Will Be Blood
The Dark Knight
The Big Sleep
Solaris
The Shawshank Redemption

The Dark Knight was quite boring for me also. But, Shawshank? Shame on you.

Quote:

Memento
A History of Violence
Watchmen
Syriana
Pride and Glory
Waterworld
Mars Attack

Memento?! You are now cursed by the movie Gods.

Meet The Spartans.

"Talk to me Goose."
post #464 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:

Chariots of Fire
Who in god's name cares whether or not some annoying attention-whore alters the schedule of a relatively meaningless foot race to accommodate his inconvenient religious dictums. The old guy's mouth was so full of marbles I couldn't understand two words he spoke. Slo-mo running shots? Those were already hackneyed and overused by the time this movie was released. Now, they're damned near insufferable.

The Dark Knight
A narrative train wreck. One story or plot-line is so rambling and incoherent, they drop it for another...then another. I saw everything Ledger had to offer for his character in the first 3 minutes of his screen time. After that, no surprises. Character traits or a dramatic arch for Batman were non-existant. LOOOOOONNNNGGG conversation about the exact themes of this movie between Batman and the Joker while the Joker is hanging upsidedown, just in case you missed them...what had come before was THAT uncinematic. And all those embarrassingly badly acted scenes of the "townspeople" and "police", apparently after Nolan handed the script pages to extras on the set to see if there was anything they could do with them to kill some time and get a SAG union bump.

The Shawshank Redemption
Overly arch, badly staged and paced melodrama. Freeman's voice-over was ok. The only high point. But what he was commenting on was so obvious and charicatured, the "villians" might as well have twirled the tips of waxed mustaches to make sure we knew how eeeeeevil they are.

Holy cow! Post more of your most hated movies because, based on the foregoing list, I am pretty sure than most posters will love other movies you hate as much as most of us love Shawshank, The Dark Knight, and Chariots of fire. There is, indeed no accounting for taste.
post #465 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Holy cow! Post more of your most hated movies because, based on the foregoing list, I am pretty sure than most posters will love other movies you hate as much as most of us love Shawshank, The Dark Knight, and Chariots of fire. There is, indeed no accounting for taste.

Yep, this thread apparently has nothing to do with "boring movies" and everything to do with "bad movie critics." Maybe we should change the thread title to: "Please give enough information so we can ascertain your total lack of value as an art critic."

post #466 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the 5th one i stopped within 10 minutes cause it seemed like they were seeing how many times the could drop the F Bomb in 2 minutes. i can only stand some much when it comes to cursing and i really don't care for the F bomb so and they said it one too many times.

i know a lot of people loved memento but i just couldn't stand it. it definitely is not one of the best movies of the decade in my book. i couldn't finish watching a history of violence either. watchmen i had high hopes for but it was the one i did finish (only because i was watching it with a friend and i didn't know if he wanted to finish it. come to find out he didn't care to finish it either) but i was looking at the times from time to time to see how much longer it had. which is a shame cause i really wanted to like it and i like almost every super hero movies that's been made here recently. if i read the graphic novel i might have like it. syriana was just boring to me, it wasn't awful but it wasn't good either. i did finish watching it though.

oh would like to add one more movies to my list

traffic

But you like TF2?
post #467 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Pie View Post

But you like TF2?

yep i was entertained by it unlike all the ones i listed.

some movies i don't need a deep plot especially action movies. what i look for in action movies is a lot of action, explosions and fights and that's what i got in TF2. if i want a deep story then i go to dramas and movies that are story driven. looking for a deep story in an action movie is like looking for a deep story in a first person shooter video game. 99% of the time you are not going to find a deep story in a FPS video game.
remember like you said many of times in the Avatar thread that is my opinion so i'm not wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742 View Post

Memento?! You are now cursed by the movie Gods.

and i could say the same to about thinking the dark knight was boring

post #468 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yep i was entertained by it unlike all the ones i listed.

some movies i don't need a deep plot especially action movies. what i look for in action movies is a lot of action, explosions and fights and that's what i got in TF2. if i want a deep story then i go to dramas and movies that are story driven. looking for a deep story in an action movie is like looking for a deep story in a first person shooter video game. 99% of the time you are not going to find a deep story in a FPS video game.
remember like you said many of times in the Avatar thread that is my opinion so i'm not wrong

Bioshock had a great story.

And in an ironic twist TF2's plot was more incoherent than Lynch's Eraserhead. Id rather write a college thesis on Eraserhead and Mullholland Dr. before even attempting to decipher the mystery that is ROTF.
post #469 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Pie View Post

Bioshock had a great story.

yea that one and the half life games are about the only FPS that are story driven. most of them or just shoot what ever moves.

post #470 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yea that one and the half life games are about the only FPS that are story driven. most of them or just shoot what ever moves.

oh i forgot F.E.A.R, that's another one that's pretty story driven, not as much as bioshock and the half life games though

post #471 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Chariots of Fire

The Dark Knight

The Shawshank Redemption

Well...I disagree with everything you said, but to each his own. I do think it is unfair to call eric liddel an attention whore. The following copied from wikipedia:

In 1941 life in China was becoming so dangerous that the British Government advised British nationals to leave. Florence and the children left for Canada to stay with her family when Liddell accepted a new position at a rural mission station in Shaochang, which gave service to the poor. He joined his brother, Rob, who was a doctor there. The station was severely short of help and the missionaries who served there were exhausted. There was a constant stream of local people who came at all hours to get medical treatment. Liddell arrived at the station in time to relieve his brother who was ill, needing to go on furlough. Liddell suffered many hardships himself at this mission station. Eric's daughter remembers that her father was still such a fast runner that he caught a wild hare for dinner during war rationing.[citation needed]
Meanwhile, the Chinese and the Japanese were at war. When the fighting reached Shaochang the Japanese took over the mission station. In 1943, Liddell was interned at the Weihsien (now known as Weifang) Internment Camp with the members of the China Inland Mission Chefoo (now known as Yantai) School. Liddell became a leader at the camp and helped get it organized. Food, medicines, and other supplies ran short at the camp. There were many cliques in the camp and when some rich businessmen managed to smuggle in some eggs to the camp, Liddell shamed them into sharing them with the rest of the camp. Fellow missionaries were forming cliques, moralising, and acting selfishly. Eric kept himself busy by helping the elderly, teaching at the camp school Bible classes, arranging games and also by teaching the children science. He was known to the children as Uncle Eric.[3]
It was also claimed that one Sunday Liddell refereed a hockey match to stop fighting amongst the players as he was trusted not to take sides by the two teams. One of Liddell's fellow internees, Norman Cliff, later wrote a book about his experiences in the camp called "The Courtyard of the Happy Way" which gave details of all the remarkable characters in the camp. The writer stated that Liddell was "the finest Christian gentleman it has been my pleasure to meet. In all the time in the camp, I never heard him say a bad word about anybody." The camp was originally a mission school named The Courtyard of the Happy Way. (Chinese: 樂道院, which could also mean the Campus of Loving Truth).[citation needed]
In his last letter to his wife, written on the day he died, he talks about suffering a nervous breakdown in the camp due to overwork, but in actuality he was suffering from an inoperable brain tumour, to which being overworked and malnourished probably hastened his demise. He died on 21 February 1945, five months before liberation. He was greatly mourned not only at the Weihsien internment Camp but also in Scotland as well. A fellow internee, Langdon Gilkey, was later to write, "The entire camp, especially its youth, was stunned for days, so great was the vacuum that Eric's death had left." Liddell's last words were allegedly "It's complete surrender."[citation needed]
It was recently revealed by the Chinese authorities that Liddell had given up an opportunity to leave the camp and instead gave his place to a pregnant woman. Apparently, the Japanese did a deal with the British, with Churchill's approval, for prisoner exchange. Therefore, because Eric was a famous athlete he was one of the chosen as part of the prisoner exchange. However, he gave his place to another. This information was released near the time of the Beijing Olympics by the Chinese government and apparently news of this great act of sacrifice came as a surprise even to his family members. Fifty-six years after the 1924 Paris Olympics, Scotsman Allan Wells won the 100 metre sprint at the 1980 Moscow Olympics. When asked after the victory if he had run the race for Harold Abrahams, the last 100 metre Olympic winner from Britain (in 1924), Wells replied, "No, this one was for Eric Liddell."[citation needed]
post #472 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep, the continuous dramatic music did its job. Kept me so engaged, I don't know what they were talking about, but instead only remember Heath Ledger licking his lips repeatedly in a very awkward manner.

On topic: The Wrestler

Sometimes I mistake a movie title for having a much deeper meaning. This film is simply about.....a old, washed up wrestler. Riveting stuff.

"Talk to me Goose."
post #473 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

My opinion wasn't based on Eric Liddell's real life story. Chariots of Fire dealt with the story about how the Olympic races had to be rescheduled to accommodate him.

I can't believe there are three people in the United States today sitting down for an evening of Chariots of Fire where at least two of them won't either fast-forward through 3/4 of it or eject the DVD after about 30 minutes.

Ten years from now, it'll be harder to find people getting past that utterly ridiculous opening bank robbery sequence of The Dark Knight than will last through those 30 minutes of Chariots of Fire in real time tonight.

Just my humble opinion, of course...
post #474 of 973 Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 PM

Liked: 44
The Dark Knight boring? Guess who ever feels this way didn't see it at an IMAX theater.

Another contender for the OP . . .

There Will Be Blood
post #475 of 973 Old 12-24-2009, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Olympic races had to be rescheduled to accommodate him.

they werent rescheduled, he was willing to completely miss the Olympics. One of his friends offered him his race which was not on Sunday.
post #476 of 973 Old 12-24-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

they werent rescheduled, he was willing to completely miss the Olympics. One of his friends offered him his race which was not on Sunday.

Fine. Whatever it was the Olympic committee had to have this big meeting, runners switched out, competitors running against people who hadn't trained for their race, national attention and uncertainty, athletes attributing their victories to god being on their side, utter chaos, cats and dogs mating in the streets...and none of it inspired Ian Holm to spit out the marbles so we could understand two words he said. If Hudson had shot Holm's dialog in slo-mo with captions underneath, that might have been a more effective use of slo-mo instead of the running shots.
post #477 of 973 Old 12-24-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmcardle View Post

Twilight New Moon. So boring. I don't know what these teenagers see in it.

Actually I'd like to see more of Kristen Stewart, but I'm no teenager anymore

...Still haven't seen New Moon btw, but I already know I will, my daughter will want this on blu-ray day one
post #478 of 973 Old 12-24-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can't believe there are three people in the United States today sitting down for an evening of Chariots of Fire where at least two of them won't either fast-forward through 3/4 of it or eject the DVD after about 30 minutes.

Ten years from now, it'll be harder to find people getting past that utterly ridiculous opening bank robbery sequence of The Dark Knight than will last through those 30 minutes of Chariots of Fire in real time tonight.

Just my humble opinion, of course...

Although I still think it unfair to savage either Chariots of Fire or The Dark Knight, I believe that their reputations are a little overblown. In my opinion both were excellent films but fell far short of the greatness attributed to them by some, The Dark Knight particularly.

Chariots of Fire is now pushing 30 years old so I suppose it could be showing its age, although I didn't notice it the last time I saw it a couple of years ago. My view is that it almost perfectly captured the period it covered, the 1924 Olympics, so it should age well. Nevertheless, although it won the 1982 Best Picture Oscar, it now has an average IMDb vote of only 7.3. That's pretty good but it's hardly Oscar quality, so you may have at least part of a point.

IMDb voters indicate that they believe The Dark Knight to be the 8th best movie ever made. I confess, I think that's nuts. I would give The Dark Knight about 7.5 out of 10, which is fairly high but would leave it far outside of the IMDb's Top 250. A cynic might say that The Dark Knight's outsized reputation among IMDb voters was the result of Heath Ledger's death almost immediately after completing his role of a lifetime as The Joker. I don't know what caused it but it does seem to me to be too high.
post #479 of 973 Old 12-24-2009, 02:17 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Although I still think it unfair to savage either Chariots of Fire or The Dark Knight, I believe that their reputations are a little overblown. In my opinion both were excellent films but fell far short of the greatness attributed to them by some, The Dark Knight particularly.

Chariots of Fire is now pushing 30 years old so I suppose it could be showing its age, although I didn't notice it the last time I saw it a couple of years ago. My view is that it almost perfectly captured the period it covered, the 1924 Olympics, so it should age well. Nevertheless, although it won the 1982 Best Picture Oscar, it now has an average IMDb vote of only 7.3. That's pretty good but it's hardly Oscar quality, so you may have at least part of a point.

IMDb voters indicate that they believe The Dark Knight to be the 8th best movie ever made. I confess, I think that's nuts. I would give The Dark Knight about 7.5 out of 10, which is fairly high but would leave it far outside of the IMDb's Top 250. A cynic might say that The Dark Knight's outsized reputation among IMDb voters was the result of Heath Ledger's death almost immediately after completing his role of a lifetime as The Joker. I don't know what caused it but it does seem to me to be too high.

Or maybe because of it's ground breaking use of the IMAX film process. That had a very profound effect on me when I saw the movie (2X). It pushed the visuals to the absolute limit IMO.

If you didn't see TDK at an IMAX theater (a real one), then you short changed yourself. You saw just another super hero movie.
post #480 of 973 Old 12-24-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Or maybe because of it's ground breaking use of the IMAX film process. That had a very profound effect on me when I saw the movie (2X). It pushed the visuals to the absolute limit IMO.

If you didn't see TDK at an IMAX theater (a real one), then you short changed yourself. You saw just another super hero movie.

I can't definitively disagree with you because at the time The Dark Knight was released we did not yet have an IMAX theater in OKC. Nevertheless, despite the gee whiz visuals the IMAX treatment no doubt added, I could never agree that The Dark Knight is the 8th best movie ever made, regardless of its visual wonders.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page