Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Of course I am only 37. Ask me again when I am 77 and sitting on the front porch waving my cane and yelling at those whippersnappers to get a job and a haircut and to get off my damn lawn

I am 28 and I do that now...minus the cane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Well, I can only speak for myself (25 btw, you're pretty spot-on), but I love dialogue\\character driven films just as well.

Such as... ?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I disagree. It's just a generational thing.

I refuse to be the old man complaining about today's music or movies or hairstyle or clothes or that baby boomers/gen x/gen y is going to be the fall of society. That's been going on for generations and yet, here we are still. I can't say every movie in the 70's was great, nor can I say every movie from the 00's sucks. There's good and bad.

Of course I am only 37. Ask me again when I am 77 and sitting on the front porch waving my cane and yelling at those whippersnappers to get a job and a haircut and to get off my damn lawn

I was just cracking a joke. The first thing that came to mind was the movie Idiocracy when I read the end of your post.

Hopefully Brawndo (or whatever it was called) isn't being used to water your lawn when you are 77 though!

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Such as... ?

Off the top of my head, some recent examples:

10 Items or Less
Tigerland
Chasing Amy (obligatory Kevin Smith example)
Boiler Room
The Machinist
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Salton Sea
Stranger Than Fiction
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Good Will Hunting
Pulp Fiction
Memento
Reservoir Dogs

Granted some of those might fit a loose definition, but none of them fit the wham-bam notion, none are slick dramas, and all have interesting characters and dialogue that drive the film.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

10 Items or Less
Tigerland
Boiler Room
The Machinist
The Salton Sea
Stranger Than Fiction
Good Will Hunting
Pulp Fiction
Memento
Reservoir Dogs

Granted some of those might fit a loose definition, but none of them fit the wham-bam notion, none are slick dramas, and all have interesting characters and dialogue that drive the film.

I don't have a problem with any of those picks (except Chasing Amy, which made me want to stab myself in the head), but very few of them would I classify as dialogue/character-driven pieces.

Josh Z

Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:

I don't have a problem with any of those picks (except Chasing Amy, which made me want to stab myself in the head), but very few of them would I classify as dialogue/character-driven pieces.

Give me some examples of ones you would classify as dialogue/character-driven pieces then so I can come up with some better examples.

Fight Club?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

(except Chasing Amy, which made me want to stab myself in the head)

Yeah, I understand the sentiment...
The sexual twist at the end was idiotic and completely unnecessary.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
^^^ Granted, it's been about 20 years since I've seen Chasing Amy, but I can't recall any twist (sexual or otherwise) at the end. Could you elaborate, inside spoiler tags, to refresh my memory.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

^^^ Granted, it's been about 20 years since I've seen Chasing Amy, but I can't recall any twist (sexual or otherwise) at the end. Could you elaborate, inside spoiler tags, to refresh my memory.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I'm sure he's referring to threesome proposition and that Banky had homosexual tendencies so they all needed to sleep together
Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 53
Quote:

Taxi Driver is a classic but a product of it's time (slow moving, character and dialogue driven).

That can be said for many films around that era. I've even heard people complain about the same thing with Apocolapse Now and The Deer Hunter. All classics, but admittedly a lot slower than your average modern movie.

These three are always interesting to me. I kind of go back and forth with them, Taxi Driver is usually ok to me, I don't think I've had an issue with Apocalypse Now, and The Deer Hunter usually bores me. I tend to group those three together, and of the bunch The Deer Hunter is the one that makes me want to nap. I definately wouldn't put it on a bad list, nor on a most boring list, but that one does get me sleepy at times.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Yeah, I understand the sentiment...
The sexual twist at the end was idiotic and completely unnecessary.

The first time I saw CA I thought that was messed up as well. On a second viewing...

Spoiler  
I thought he was so obsessive and desperate to have a relationship with Amy; he was willing to do anything. In the process, he not only lost Amy he lost his best friend. Lesson being – don’t be something you’re not, because no one will respect you.

So I found that necessary. Whether you or anyone else agrees with that is another story, but it floats my boat.

I needed to add...

Spoiler  
From Ben’s perspective, being gay was a choice, so you could turn it on or turn it off. He never understood it wasn’t a choice it was how you are.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaert View Post

heh. you kinda prove your own point.

How's that? I wasn't bitching. Just making a point.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

Spoiler  
I'm sure he's referring to threesome proposition and that Banky had homosexual tendencies so they all needed to sleep together

Yes, thank you.
That was what I was referring to in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

The first time I saw CA I thought that was messed up as well. On a second viewing...

Spoiler  
I thought he was so obsessive and desperate to have a relationship with Amy; he was willing to do anything. In the process, he not only lost Amy he lost his best friend. Lesson being – don’t be something you’re not, because no one will respect you.

So I found that necessary. Whether you or anyone else agrees with that is another story, but it floats my boat.

Did that seem logical within the context of the story?
There wasn't any real indication he was gay.
It was just something Smith yanked out of his a$$.
I have no idea why he would think it was a great addition to the plot.

Quote:

I needed to add...

Spoiler  
From Ben’s perspective, being gay was a choice, so you could turn it on or turn it off. He never understood it wasn’t a choice it was how you are.

Again, this angle in the film is pulled out of thin air.
Maybe KS suffered a brain fart????

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I disagree. It's just a generational thing.

I refuse to be the old man complaining about today's music or movies or hairstyle or clothes or that baby boomers/gen x/gen y is going to be the fall of society. That's been going on for generations and yet, here we are still. I can't say every movie in the 70's was great, nor can I say every movie from the 00's sucks. There's good and bad.

I'm 56. We are all conditioned by our time. When I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark, it was paced so fast I had trouble keeping the story straight. It was like a roller coaster. Now, I nod right off (of course I know what's coming now, so the interest factor is gone) but partly because the pace of it is slower than molasses compared to the new stuff. Some movies inevitably get ahead of the curve and feel that way now (most of them using action to hide lack of plot) but the envelope keeps getting bigger and faster.

These days, you have to be in that wanting to kill time/lazy afternoon/rainy indoor weather/romantic/relaxed mood to watch most any old movie. Do any of you EVER feel that way? If not, you'll be bored by classic movies.

Heck, I'm sure Gone With The Wind felt like a roller coaster in 39, now its just a good story.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

Old 01-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Great stuff, guys!

Quote:

I'm sure this will receive the typical responses, but I finally saw 'Taxi Driver' for the first time this past weekend and I gotta say I was very bored with most of it and extremely underwhelmed overall. Having seen Scorcese's 'The Departed' prior to this, the end violence wasn't all that striking or vicious.. but if that's all that makes this movie so loved and heralded than I don't know what else to say. The most entertaining aspect was DeNiro's great performance the whole way through, but I felt that his character's downward spiral didn't have much precedence or justification to it in the film itself, and the entire time was spent building up to something only to have something else happen entirely.

I dunno.. I really wanted to be one of the people who champion this film but it was just very boring to me. In all honesty, can someone explain why they love this film so much? Why they find it riveting and why it is such a classic? I'd be willing to rewatch it and find more to appreciate in it, but the first time around it was -- as I said -- very underwhelming. =/

Interesting,

I think the raw violence and storytelling in this one was probaly groundbreaking, and is why it's considered "a classic"-which fits my definition. We've all seen psychos on film, but, not as relatable as Travis Bickle (most people are frustrated at the "filth" and obstacles of the world). I can understand how it might come off as boring. But, there are some films that take what I call "a simple subject", and create a great story around it, to get the point across. I saw this film in my late 20's (now 31), and found it fascinating because it "went there". It discussed real life issues and disappointment in a way I hadn't yet seen, and still haven't.

Quote:

10 Items or Less
Tigerland
Boiler Room
The Machinist
The Salton Sea
Stranger Than Fiction
Good Will Hunting
Pulp Fiction
Memento
Reservoir Dogs

Agreed. Off the top of my head, I'd add Jackie Brown, and Clerks. Tarantino and Kevin Smith are geniuses, when it comes to dialouge, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

These three are always interesting to me. I kind of go back and forth with them, Taxi Driver is usually ok to me, I don't think I've had an issue with Apocalypse Now, and The Deer Hunter usually bores me. I tend to group those three together, and of the bunch The Deer Hunter is the one that makes me want to nap. I definately wouldn't put it on a bad list, nor on a most boring list, but that one does get me sleepy at times.

The Deer Hunter, I can sort of understand, but still a pretty good film. The one film I should've already mentioned was Chinatown. I know, I know, considered one of the finest films ever. But, I've tried to watch it at least 3 times, with no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Sounds like we are moving closer to the reality presented in 'Idiocracy'.

On the contrary, I cetainly have that attitude at times (and I'm only 31). But, it's hard to maintain, with films like The Departed, Gran Torino, and Revolutionary Road. With Revolutionary Road, again, a "simple subject", with a great story, characters, and dialogue around it. I wasn't always into older films. But, I do think more of the older films (while not too lovable racially) are much more dialouge driven, probaly because there were no big special effects to lean on. I really took a liking to older films, once I was old enough to relate to and understand the dialouge. Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Casablanca-all great films, IMO. I'll watch almost anything these days, but I prefer the bright, colorful HD stuff. Into the future we go...!!!!

"Talk to me Goose."
Old 01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well the one which first comes to mind is the one I watched about a month ago which had Johnny Depp as John Dillinger. I never even thought it was possible to make a boring movie about the life of Dillinger but I didn't even finish watching that steaming piece of cow poop.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Great, that movie is sitting on my coffee table from Netflix. It's been sitting there for over a week because I had a feeling the above was true.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWood View Post

Well the one which first comes to mind is the one I watched about a month ago which had Johnny Depp as John Dillinger. I never even thought it was possible to make a boring movie about the life of Dillinger but I didn't even finish watching that steaming piece of cow poop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Great, that movie is sitting on my coffee table from Netflix. It's been sitting there for over a week because I had a feeling the above was true.

RobertWood -- You are, of course, talking about Michael Mann's, Public Enemies. I not think that Public Enemies should be considered anybody's "most boring movie." I rather enjoyed it. That said, I ended up disappointed. It seemed to me that Mann should have done a far better job with the film than he did, given the interesting times that it depicts and its stellar all star cast. Worse, there are spots in the film in which the dialog is hard to understand and some of the shoot-'em-up action sequences are nearly interminable. Many posters to the Public Enemies thread didn't like the PQ, either, although it seemed just fine to me. In short, Public Enemies, to me at least, is a flawed but decent picture.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Give me some examples of ones you would classify as dialogue/character-driven pieces then so I can come up with some better examples.

Well, for example, from your list let's talk about Pulp Fiction. Obviously the movie is famous for its dialogue. However, I would not classify it as "dialogue-driven". The movie is really driven by its unconventional story structure and the mechanics of its plot. Same with Memento. I love both movies, and agree that they both have excellent dialogue and characters, but neither is what I would consider a "dialogue/character-driven" piece.

Ironically, I would consider Chasing Amy a dialogue/character-driven piece. However, I still think it's a horrible movie. I recognize that it has plenty of fans (though I'll never understand why), so we'll chalk that one up to "Your mileage may vary".

Really, I'm referring to movies that are all about the characters, and only about the characters. No mystery thrillers, no action or explosions, no (or minimal) attention-calling CGI, no shocking plot twists. Movies that serve to depict a "slice of life" or present a portrait of a person that really digs into their soul. Recently, films like Half Nelson or You Can Count on Me would qualify.

It's kind of telling that the oldest movie on your list is from 1994. Can you name any older dialogue/character-driven pieces that you like?

Listen, I know that I've given you a lot of grief on this forum. However, I want you to know that I actually do appreciate your attempts to stir up discussion of upcoming movies. This forum has a tendency to stagnate unless people make an effort to get others interested in something. I can also tell that you really do love movies and are trying to be a real film aficianado.

But I still think it would benefit you greatly to broaden your horizons. You need to watch more older movies, and set aside your prejudice for modern slam-bang-boom pacing. Just because a movie's shots last longer than 1.5 seconds doesn't make it "boring." You also need to learn to recognize the difference between movies that are truly innovative and those that are merely derivative. Once you do, it's the latter that are truly the most boring movies of all, no matter how many explosions per minute they cram in.

Josh Z

Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Yes, thank you.
That was what I was referring to in my post.

Did that seem logical within the context of the story?
There wasn't any real indication he was gay.
It was just something Smith yanked out of his a$$.
I have no idea why he would think it was a great addition to the plot.

Again, this angle in the film is pulled out of thin air.
Maybe KS suffered a brain fart????

Ahh. That really didn't make any lasting impression on me. I guess I just brushed it off as Ben's character lashing out and saying something he knew would be hurtful, regardless of whether it was true or not, because he wasn't getting what he wanted.

I guess it's time to go back and watch it again to see if I have the same impression.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Really, I'm referring to movies that are all about the characters, and only about the characters. No mystery thrillers, no action or explosions, no (or minimal) attention-calling CGI, no shocking plot twists. Movies that serve to depict a "slice of life" or present a portrait of a person that really digs into their soul. Recently, films like Half Nelson or You Can Count on Me would qualify.

Ok.. so some of my mine do count (10 Items or Less, Tigerland, etc) let me try some others:
- Little Miss Sunshine
- Primer (unless the certain narrative aspect disqualifies this)
- One Hour Photo
- American History X
- American Beauty
- The Usual Suspects (iffy..)
- Death Sentence
- The Ice Storm
- Leon: The Professional
- Requiem For a Dream (might also be disqualified)
- Life Is Beautiful
- The Pianist (iffy..)
- The Fountain (iffy..)
- Lost In Translation
- Cast Away
- The Truman Show
- No Country for Old Men
- Oldboy (hah, just saw this and loved every minute of it.. I'm sure it doesnt count either)

Quote:

It's kind of telling that the oldest movie on your list is from 1994. Can you name any older dialogue/character-driven pieces that you like?

It should be.. I was only 10 in 1994. Also it wasn't until about 6 years later I was able to escape my mother's well-intentioned, yet fanatic attempts to restrict my secular media intake.

As for one's older than 1994.. I cant think of any at the moment. Is Home Alone a character study of Kevin McAllister? (just kidding) Oh wait.. one of my favorite films of all time.. Falling Down with Michael Douglas. Does Plains, Trains, and Automobiles count? If so I love that one too. But I do have a bunch in my queue to watch such as:
- The Conversation
- Citizen Kane
- The Deer Hunter
- Vertigo
- On The Waterfront
- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
- Rear Window
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- 12 Angry Men
- Harvey

and more..

Quote:

Listen, I know that I've given you a lot of grief on this forum. However, I want you to know that I actually do appreciate your attempts to stir up discussion of upcoming movies. This forum has a tendency to stagnate unless people make an effort to get others interested in something. I can also tell that you really do love movies and are trying to be a real film aficianado.

I've been in love with films since I can remember, and for the last 10 years have so been able to begin to really understand and appreciate them more for a variety of reasons other than "they were awesome" or had big explosions... so I appreciate that.

Quote:

But I still think it would benefit you greatly to broaden your horizons. You need to watch more older movies, and set aside your prejudice for modern slam-bang-boom pacing.

I agree with that first part.. and I think the second part comes from our arguments over TF2 and my liking of shakycam, haha, because I love many movies that aren't that way. But I actually have a little over 400 films in my Netflix queue due mainly to my discussions on this forum and my interest in broadening my film horizons. Ive taken many recommendations from you, hitchfan, and others and added them without hesitation. I've also gone over many "top" or "best" lists and added them as well. Now it's just a matter of watching them.

Quote:

Just because a movie's shots last longer than 1.5 seconds doesn't make it "boring." You also need to learn to recognize the difference between movies that are truly innovative and those that are merely derivative. Once you do, it's the latter that are truly the most boring movies of all, no matter how many explosions per minute they cram in.

Oh I definitely agree, looks like I'll have to slow down on discussing shakycam and TF2 so you can tell that better. :P
Old 01-07-2010, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

...recognize the difference between movies that are truly innovative and those that are merely derivative. Once you do, it's the latter that are truly the most boring movies of all, no matter how many explosions per minute they cram in.

ding ding ding! You sir win one free interwebz.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Ok.. so some of my mine do count (10 Items or Less, Tigerland, etc) let me try some others:
- Little Miss Sunshine
- One Hour Photo
- American History X
- American Beauty
- Death Sentence
- The Ice Storm
- Life Is Beautiful
- The Pianist (iffy..)
- The Fountain (iffy..)
- Lost In Translation
- Cast Away
- The Truman Show
- No Country for Old Men
- Oldboy (hah, just saw this and loved every minute of it.. I'm sure it doesnt count iether)

Some *great* movies in that list.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Just reading the title to the thread...

The most boring movie...

Where to start? If it wasn't boring, it insulted my intelligence...

Would there be an outcry from the masses if we started burning our BDs and DVDs?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

But I do have a bunch in my queue to watch such as:
- The Conversation
- Citizen Kane
- The Deer Hunter
- Vertigo
- On The Waterfront
- Rear Window
- 12 Angry Men
- Harvey

and more..

That's a pretty damn good list of movies to be looking forward to seeing for the first time. From my perspective it would be, that is. I hope you get to see them on an impressively large screen with plenty of attention control (lighting, phones, talkers, distractions, interruptions, etc. all clear).

Good or bad, I'll be interested in your reactions to them.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

That's a pretty damn good list of movies to be looking forward to seeing for the first time. From my perspective it would be, that is. I hope you get to see them on an impressively large screen with plenty of attention control (lighting, phones, talkers, distractions, interruptions, etc. all clear).

Good or bad, I'll be interested in your reactions to them.

You better believe it. I recently bought my first house (yay me) last year and received the $7500 first-time home buyer credit. After being financially conservative for myself for the past few years (focusing on family needs\\desires) I was finally able to get the two things I've been wanting.. a PS3 and a Home theater setup (which I now had the home to put in!). I have a 2009 65" Mitsu DLP, Denon AVR, 5.1 Polk Monitors + BIC 10" 160W sub. It's nothing to brag about around here, but boy does it fill our living room with luxurious audio and video ecstasy!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:

- The Conversation
- Citizen Kane
- The Deer Hunter
- Vertigo
- On The Waterfront
- Rear Window
- 12 Angry Men
- Harvey

I've been in love with films since I can remember, and for the last 10 years have so been able to begin to really understand and appreciate them more for a variety of reasons other than "they were awesome" or had big explosions... so I appreciate that.

lwright -- Those are all terrific films. My favorite on your list, though, is Orson Welles' masterpiece, Citizen Kane. Most critics rank it among the great films ever made. I agree with the critics. When you watch, recall that Welles' use of camera and lighting were seminal, nothing quite like it had ever been seen before. It's a real shame that this movie has not yet been released on BD.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
^^^^
Plus, keep in mind Orson Welles was 25 when he created and starred in that! 25!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, for example, from your list let's talk about Pulp Fiction. Obviously the movie is famous for its dialogue. However, I would not classify it as "dialogue-driven". The movie is really driven by its unconventional story structure and the mechanics of its plot. Same with Memento. I love both movies, and agree that they both have excellent dialogue and characters, but neither is what I would consider a "dialogue/character-driven" piece.

Ironically, I would consider Chasing Amy a dialogue/character-driven piece. However, I still think it's a horrible movie. I recognize that it has plenty of fans (though I'll never understand why), so we'll chalk that one up to "Your mileage may vary".

But I still think it would benefit you greatly to broaden your horizons. You need to watch more older movies, and set aside your prejudice for modern slam-bang-boom pacing. Just because a movie's shots last longer than 1.5 seconds doesn't make it "boring." You also need to learn to recognize the difference between movies that are truly innovative and those that are merely derivative. Once you do, it's the latter that are truly the most boring movies of all, no matter how many explosions per minute they cram in.

Well said. And I wish more people would talk about Half Nelson and Sugar outside of smaller forums (and even there Boden and Fleck do not get an insane amount of love).

Two of my favorite films of the past few years. And the Broken Social Scene soundtrack fits HN perfectly...
Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

- Little Miss Sunshine
- One Hour Photo
- American History X
- American Beauty
- Death Sentence
- The Ice Storm
- Life Is Beautiful
- The Pianist (iffy..)
- The Fountain (iffy..)
- Lost In Translation
- Cast Away
- The Truman Show
- No Country for Old Men
- Oldboy (hah, just saw this and loved every minute of it.. I'm sure it doesnt count either)

I don't agree with all of them, but it's by and large a fine list of movies.

Primer would not qualify as a character-driven piece because it doesn't actually have characters. It just has ciphers whose purpose is to mouth key pieces of narrative and move the plot along. After you watched it, did you know the names of either of the main characters? Did they even have names? Could you honestly tell them apart from one another?

But, again, I liked the movie. It just stands out to me as not fitting this cateogory.

Quote:

It should be.. I was only 10 in 1994.

As I said, you need exposure to more older movies. When you were born is really irrelevant. I certainly wasn't alive when Casablanca or Citizen Kane were made, but I've seen them and love them.

Quote:

Also it wasn't until about 6 years later I was able to escape my mother's well-intentioned, yet fanatic attempts to restrict my secular media intake.

That does sound like a major obstacle to your development as a cinephile.

Quote:

- The Conversation
- Citizen Kane
- The Deer Hunter
- Vertigo
- On The Waterfront
- Rear Window
- 12 Angry Men
- Harvey

Good picks, one and all. Now we'll just have to see what you make of them.

Quote:

I agree with that first part.. and I think the second part comes from our arguments over TF2 and my liking of shakycam, haha,

No, actually, it has more to do with some horrifying comments you've made about other movies in this forum.

Josh Z