post #181 of 973 Old 09-18-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I have never seen it. Is it really that bad? I think I read somewhere that various financial problems were at the origin of its failure.

I don't know what went wrong. Ishtar was a bad attempt at resurrecting the old Bob Hope and Bing Crosby Road Movie franchise but it didn't work with Hoffman and Beatty as its stars. Some critics say that it's not as bad as we heard and, frankly I don't remember how bad it was. I do remember, though, that it was bad. Note, for example, that IMDb voters gave it an average score of 3.6. That's close to an historic low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 973 Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah I think reason we haven't seen Ishtar on the list is because almost nobody has ever bothered to watch it.

Same goes for Gigli. Nobody has actually seen it, so it doesn't get mentioned.

AFA Gattaca is concerned. I think I'm closer to Hick's opinion. I felt it had a great premise, but completely botched the execution and ended up tending to be boring (I'm not sure I'd go fully boring on this one).

AFA as does "slow pacing = boring". I'd say that almost all boring movies are also slowly paced. Fast pacing conceals a lot of flaws and usually demands you stay attentive, so it's a lot harder to think of any face-paced films that seemed boring.

However, the converse is not true. Just because a film is slow-paced does not make it boring. But it ends up being very subjective. For instance, I love the extended LOTRs. They all could have been another couple of hours long and still wouldn't have been bored. But I can understand how others would find them way too slowly paced and thus boring. My only complaint about LOTR is that the Battle of Helm's deep seemed to go on forever. If they had extended it just a little bit it would have been in "real-time".
post #183 of 973 Old 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM

Liked: 12
Wow I really don't get the lotr hate. Each one had nearly flawless execution, pacing, and production quality, gripping scenes and engaging writing, intense and moving performances both by the actors and the film/edit crew, and are heralded as about as good of a book-to-movie translation as anyone could hope for -- fans or not.
post #184 of 973 Old 09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Wow I really don't get the lotr hate. Each one had nearly flawless execution, pacing, and production quality, gripping scenes and engaging writing, intense and moving performances both by the actors and the film/edit crew, and are heralded as about as good of a book-to-movie translation as anyone could hope for -- fans or not.

I love LOTR, both the books and the movies, but they are indeed really long and I could see that to someone who didn't grow up reading the books that they might seem excessively lengthy or repetitive. Especially ROTK that has no fewer than four different endings. Those of us familiar with the books know that the movies are remarkably true to Tolkien (with a couple of notable exceptions), but folks that aren't could easily just view them as unnecessarily long winded.
post #185 of 973 Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

+2,911,519,252
That's how many dollars the trilogy grossed in theaters As a person who hasn't read the books(but plans to), I absolutely love these films. Brilliant from beginning to end. In fact, I'm going to watch them all again this weekend Extended edition of course, which I prefer to the theatrical version, even though it's a total of two hours longer.

David Budo
post #186 of 973 Old 09-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Same goes for Gigli. Nobody has actually seen it, so it doesn't get mentioned.

Gigli is "average bad" it's not as bad as the legendary Ishtar, but somehow became almost as legendary. If you never see it, you won't miss it.

Quote:

love the extended LOTRs. They all could have been another couple of hours long and still wouldn't have been bored. But I can understand how others would find them way too slowly paced and thus boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

I love LOTR, both the books and the movies, but they are indeed really long and I could see that to someone who didn't grow up reading the books that they might seem excessively lengthy or repetitive. Especially ROTK that has no fewer than four different endings. Those of us familiar with the books know that the movies are remarkably true to Tolkien (with a couple of notable exceptions), but folks that aren't could easily just view them as unnecessarily long winded.

Never read the books. Problem is they were apparently very faithful and where in the first movie editing could have picked up the pace like would have happened for other movies, in this one it was kept in so people like me felt liked it dragged in places, and I'm the prime target for this kind of movie. It still had alot of good though. I really enjoyed part 2. Part 3 had too many scenes of main 2 characters walking/talking like they made fun of in Clerks II, and the 15 endings were rediculously tedious. For me this trilogy just needed tighter editing, but then there are people who like Thin Red Line or Magnolia or New World and I think they must be touched in the head, so I can certainly see people enjoying these to the fullest compared to those 3 turds.
post #187 of 973 Old 09-18-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Ishtar is really not all that bad. It went way over budget, Elaine May got rather strident, and the film spoofed our secret police- a particularly big no-no- but parts of it are rather funny. It's not exactly good, but it has earned a legendary reputation for awfulness that it really does not deserve, and its status seems perpetuated by people who have not actually seen it.

CW Hinkle
post #188 of 973 Old 09-18-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bviss View Post

...but I just don't get how anybody can like movies by Terrence Malick, Wes Anderson, or Uwe Boll.

Wes and Uwe in the same sentence?!?

Oh no you dit'n't!

P.S. The Thin Red Line is the theatrical equivalent of watching mold form, I'll grant you that. And boring mold at that.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #189 of 973 Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I don't know what went wrong. Ishtar was a bad attempt at resurrecting the old Bob Hope and Bing Crosby Road Movie franchise but it didn't work with Hoffman and Beatty as its stars. Some critics say that it's not as bad as we heard and, frankly I don't remember how bad it was. I do remember, though, that it was bad. Note, for example, that IMDb voters gave it an average score of 3.6. That's close to an historic low.

I saw it at the theater when it first came out (no, I didn't pay - it was for free). The first part of it wasn't that bad, when they were just doing schtick.

It wasn't until they got onto all the "intigue" stuff later on that it really sucked (I'd say "plot", but there really wasn't one of those).

Taken as a whole, I can't say it was the worst movie I ever saw. The last half may have been a valid candidate for "worst half", though.
post #190 of 973 Old 09-19-2009, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
House Of The Dead
The Ring
Hulk (Ang Lee)
Dare Devil
Boa
Suicide Kings

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #191 of 973 Old 09-19-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post

House Of The Dead
The Ring
Hulk (Ang Lee)
Dare Devil
Boa
Suicide Kings

How could The Ring be boring? The movie plays well as a horror/thriller. I dont have any problem with someone not liking it, but boring, no way.
post #192 of 973 Old 09-19-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poksey21 View Post

How could The Ring be boring? The movie plays well as a horror/thriller. I dont have any problem with someone not liking it, but boring, no way.

Ya, I just couldn't get into it. I'm a big horror fan to. I gave it a shot and just didn't like it.

post #193 of 973 Old 09-19-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post

Ya, I just couldn't get into it. I'm a big horror fan to. I gave it a shot and just didn't like it.

Me neither.
Damn silly stuff.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #194 of 973 Old 09-19-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 129
The Ring i found to be good. Now, The Grudge i thought was boring and slow and not scary in the least. BORING!

never take life seriously
post #195 of 973 Old 09-19-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ You guys need to be more specific in this case. Are you talking about "The Ring" the American version or "Ringu" the original Japanese version??

AFA "The Ring" is concerned, I liked the first half better than the last half. I felt the last half didn't really pay off very well.

AFA "Ringu" is concerned, I just don't get these Japanese horror films with all the hair. The "scary stuff" is just way too specifically Japanese and doesn't work for me at all.
post #196 of 973 Old 09-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

The Ring i found to be good. Now, The Grudge i thought was boring and slow and not scary in the least. BORING!

Ohh The Grude ..... add that one to the list. I fully agree with you on that.

Quote:

^^^ You guys need to be more specific in this case. Are you talking about "The Ring" the American version or "Ringu" the original Japanese version??

AFA "The Ring" is concerned, I liked the first half better than the last half. I felt the last half didn't really pay off very well.

AFA "Ringu" is concerned, I just don't get these Japanese horror films with all the hair. The "scary stuff" is just way too specifically Japanese and doesn't work for me at all.

Sorry about that, I was referring to the American version. I have always been interested in seeing Ringu as I have heard good reviews about it, never seen any Japanese horror films myself. Ive also been interested in seeing REC which is the original and Quarantine was the American remake which I found good. Have anyone else seen REC and let me know if it is good?

post #197 of 973 Old 09-19-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just don't get these Japanese horror films with all the hair. The "scary stuff" is just way too specifically Japanese and doesn't work for me at all.

True.
The ghosts and stuff don't do it for me.

post #198 of 973 Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Gattaca? I found that film to be an incredible sleeper (as in under-the-radar) with an interesting plot and great perormances.

Yea a great film really ,IMO. The retro future thing was very enjoyable. Anyone who has been an underdog in their life has to get into this one.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #199 of 973 Old 09-21-2009, 05:21 PM

Hands down The Brown Bunny

Even the "money shot" type of scene at the end with Chloë Sevigny does not make this worth a look. I never want to see another motor cycle race again after this...just plain boring and awful...maybe I missed some supposed meaning here, but I don't care. This movie was terrible.
It's unfortunate because I really enjoyed Buffalo 66 by gallo. Oh well what are you gonna do.
post #200 of 973 Old 09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

"Silent Light"

It's about Prussian Mennonites in Mexico dealing with infidelity.
As if that shouldn't give me enough of a warning.

I admit the opening scene (5 minutes) was visually beautiful.
The movie itself was EXCRUCIATINGLY boring with the movie running a over 2 hours with enough material to maybe fill a "Seinfeld" episode...

Two hours I'll never get back...

Next projector will have LEDs, >=1080 res, >=10 bit color, >14bit CR, >9 bit ANSI CR, >=120Hz, >16ft.L on 12ft 2.35:1 screen, <$12bit price

My 1st line array design

My ongoing Line Array Design
post #201 of 973 Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy475 View Post

Even the "money shot" type of scene at the end with Chloë Sevigny does not make this worth a look.

That makes it REQUIRED viewing (for the scene only).

post #202 of 973 Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

That makes it REQUIRED viewing (for the scene only).

OK well I'm still going to have to disagree....

If you have to see her naked, or gallo, just you tube it or mr skin it or whatever...

just please do not sit or fast forward (as i did) through this movie. it was my first netflix rental 3 years ago and I still think what a waste it was for the workers at the postal service to even get it to me
post #203 of 973 Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Forgot to mention... THE GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCE. Painful.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #204 of 973 Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Ed Wood. The only movie I've ever fallen asleep watching.
post #205 of 973 Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy475 View Post

Hands down The Brown Bunny

Even the "money shot" type of scene at the end with Chloë Sevigny does not make this worth a look. I never want to see another motor cycle race again after this...just plain boring and awful...maybe I missed some supposed meaning here, but I don't care. This movie was terrible.
It's unfortunate because I really enjoyed Buffalo 66 by gallo. Oh well what are you gonna do.

Compared to those endless shots out the front window of the van while driving down the highways, the motorcycle stuff was highly interesting.

It was like the worst travelogue show ever made.
post #206 of 973 Old 09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

Ed Wood. The only movie I've ever fallen asleep watching.

Ed Wood does march to a different drummer but I liked it, one of Tim Burton's best. I thought that Johnny Depp was excellent as the no talent transvestite director, Ed Wood, and that Martin Landau gave one of his finest performances as the alcoholic, washed up, Bela Lugosi. Nevertheless, I understand that neither Tim Burton nor his Ed Wood is for all tastes.
post #207 of 973 Old 09-22-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Ghostbusters 2.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #208 of 973 Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1. Pale children with long black hair is not scary. Seems like every Japanese horror has them in it.
post #209 of 973 Old 09-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Ed Wood does march to a different drummer but I liked it, one of Tim Burton's best. I thought that Johnny Depp was excellent as the no talent transvestite director, Ed Wood, and that Martin Landau gave one of his finest performances as the alcoholic, washed up, Bela Lugosi. Nevertheless, I understand that neither Tim Burton nor his Ed Wood is for all tastes.

I love Burton's work, and I really wanted to like Ed Wood, but it just didn't work for me.
post #210 of 973 Old 09-22-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

+1. Pale children with long black hair is not scary. Seems like every Japanese horror has them in it.

That's because it's how a ghost looks like in japanese culture. They're called Yurei (sp?) and are generally driven by vengeance, which is why we see some sort of recurrence in those movies... When they're done well, they're much more effective than "our" ghosts imo...
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page