Pontypool - Unique, Claustrophobic, Intellectaual Horror - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 351
^It does not come up with a bd version for me. Maybe my search is wrong? I will have to look into this again. Good heads up!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just finished watching this(DVD version), and absolutely loved it. There's nothing spectacular going on film-making wise, in fact early on I was getting annoyed at the cheesy 'horror-film' tension music and effects, but by the time the ideas of this movie began to unravel, I was totally hooked particularly towards the end. Perhaps because I teach creative writing that I so loved the whole concept of an infection within language itself, and the whole idea of language and meaning breaking down, coupled with the dual-sided Talk Radio as virus of nonsense and radio as the last bastion of salvation under assault by the military (the 'shut up or die' tagline). Anyway, I totally loved the ideas in this movie, it simply demands a repeat viewing. Really a wonderfully creative and special film based on a FASCINATING concept.

To the earlier poster who was asking whether the zombies were fast or slow, just so you don't get the wrong idea, this is not that kind of zombie movie at all. Yes there are a couple situations they have to deal with, but this really isn't a "survive the zombies" movie in any way. It isn't really a pertinent question because that's just not really of significance to the film, which once you see it you'll understand. It's essentially three people locked into a radio station trying to decipher what is going on out in the world from people calling into the station. Eventually their isolation is threatened/broken a little bit, but the movie never leaves the confines of the station at all. But as you will learn, the zombie threat is not from the zombies, and even if they were in an impenetrable bunker they'd still be in danger, because the threat is inherent and internal. It doesn't really spread even, so much as just exist. just exist. just exist. just exist. exist. existexistexistexist
Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Also, on a related note, I just got my hands on the book: Pontypool Changes Everything by Tony Burgess who also wrote the film. It is fantastic. I'm about halfway through it so far, and it's a very different story from the movie, but it is excellent! Highly recommended read. A very unique style, not perfect perhaps, but a fantastic journey nonetheless.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Also, on a related note, I just got my hands on the book: Pontypool Changes Everything by Tony Burgess who also wrote the film. It is fantastic. I'm about halfway through it so far, and it's a very different story from the movie, but it is excellent! Highly recommended read. A very unique style, not perfect perhaps, but a fantastic journey nonetheless.

Whoa, I gotta order the book.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I liked the DJ guy - especially at the beginning when he was kind of a mess. Seemed like the more things went to hell the more lucid he became. Intersting story and well done. A little frustrating for me watching it as I was sick of them being in the radio station. I know that was the whole point of the movie but I wanted to get out and see what was going on rather than just hearing about it. Some of the phone in accounts where pretty cool though, like the kid in the barn.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 04-13-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I liked the DJ guy - especially at the beginning when he was kind of a mess. Seemed like the more things went to hell the more lucid he became. Intersting story and well done. A little frustrating for me watching it as I was sick of them being in the radio station. I know that was the whole point of the movie but I wanted to get out and see what was going on rather than just hearing about it. Some of the phone in accounts where pretty cool though, like the kid in the barn.

I think part of that was probably just budget. But while I also had the strong desire to see what was really going on, I thought part of the film that was interesting too was not really knowing what was actually happening. Because language was breaking down, it was never really clear who was infected and who was not, whether what they were hearing was true or just gibberish. By not showing us explicitly, we were left just as befuddled and relying entirely on word-of-mouth to figure out what was going on outside the narrow confines of the studio. And of course that leaves us in an unsure situation because we can't trust what is being said.

And by the same token, we are left not really knowing whether they were causing the disease to spread (or maybe creating it), or helping to reverse it. Many things are left unclear. Remember that even very early on in the movie, Massey the radio guy says some nonsensical things.

So that near-total isolation leaves everyone at the station entirely dependent on reports coming in via language, nothing at all visually or allowing us to see for ourselves, which makes learning what is going on actually more dangerous than not knowing because it hinges on the disease itself. The more they hear from the outside what is going on, the more they are exposed to the language that threatens to kill them. They're stuck in a catch-22. I thought that was interesting.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

how on earthi did this get overlooked? bump for Pontypool pontypool pontypool.....

just saw this tonight and would wholeheartedly recommend. with so many movies with big budgets and no story to speak of this gem, that bucks the trend with a good story and virtually no budget, is one not to miss.

c'mon avs'ers if you like horror this and don't mind a twist on the same ol' same ol' . this is your ticket to a good time
Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, if Netflix would ever get it in (still in my "Saved" section) I'd watch it.

One of the few movies Netflix apparently doesn't have that I am interested in watching.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Blockbuster had an exclusive on it. Is it still that way?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Blockbuster had an exclusive on it. Is it still that way?

Apparently. Didn't know it was a BB exclusive.

I can wait. I refuse to give BB any more of my money.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Now on Showtime:

http://www.sho.com/site/schedules/pr...d=0&seasonid=0

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

Old 08-07-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post

Now on Showtime:

http://www.sho.com/site/schedules/pr...d=0&seasonid=0

Watched it on Showtime last night and enjoyed it. Have to watch it again to pick up on some more of the little things.

JohnG
Old 11-12-2011, 02:58 AM

Liked: 12
I watched this on Netflix Streaming tonight and really enjoyed it. The first 2\\3 of the film were extremely impressive. Here I am watching 3 people interact in a closed room and I'm literally on the edge of my seat... superb story-telling.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I thought the movie lost its gusto near the end though. When the doctor appeared out of nowhere (how'd he know there was a crawl space to get into the radio station?) and then came up with the silly "words carry the virus" explanation for everything that was happening... ehh, it just all fell into place way to conveniently and unbelievably. I mean I definitely applaud the unique plot and the bold attempt to not only do something new, but also something interesting and formidable. But if you think about it, it really is silly lol. Also, some of the DJs pseudo-political rants just didn't seem to connect or weren't worded in a normal, coherent fashion. I don't know.

Other than those two gripes, I felt the film was fantastic and well worth the watch.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree the first 2/3 are the strongest.
Still, a fun little flick.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking forward to this, since I noticed it's available to stream from Netflix now (after being stuck in my "saved" section in my disc queue for the better part of a year). Didn't think I was ever going to get to see it.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Skipped The Avengers today and watched this. It left me disappointed. Disappointed that I didn't wait until a cold, dark night in October to watch it! Wasted it on a sunny May afternoon. Eww!

It had atmosphere, tension and was very original. I even liked seeing how the radio show was produced and the interaction between the three involved. Glad you guys turned me onto it.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Glad you liked it! Yes, def a better movie shut in on a cold nasty night. Be assured it gets better with repeat viewings as you pick up on subtleties missed the first time round. This would be a good one to queue up for another go in October

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

This would be a good one to queue up for another go in October

That's a great idea.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Sequel premiering at Fantasia fest later this summer.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...ias-frontieres

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Sequel premiering at Fantasia fest later this summer.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...ias-frontieres

WHOA!!!
Very Cool....

Old 05-21-2012, 01:07 AM

Liked: 10
There were 4 copies on the new release shelf in blockbuster so I grabbed one yesterday. I plan on watching it tonight or tomorrow and from your description it sounds like something I will really enjoy, thanks for the review!