Food, inc. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
OK... Who is looking forward to seeing this?

I know I am as diet, to me, has never been more important than now.

I'm afraid of the realities this documentary may bring...

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 11-02-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

OK... Who is looking forward to seeing this?

I know I am as diet, to me, has never been more important than now.

I'm afraid of the realities this documentary may bring...

An enlightening documentary exposing America's corporate controlled food industry. A must see!

Highly Recommended.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #3 of 61 Old 11-02-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Watched Fink today. There is an amount of the expected 'Big Processing Nightmare' footage, but the main subject is highly political material. I doubt it has much of a chance in this forum, but the doc is outstanding.

Bon Appetit
post #4 of 61 Old 11-02-2009, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's in my "Q"...just waitin' for the send.
post #5 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We changed our diet radically years ago. We cut out red meat entirely and eat other meats like pork / chicken perhaps 2-3 times a month - a treat. It is clear from our reading that meat, not just the hormones but animal protein is fully linked to cancer. So free range chicken and organically fed cattle are not good enough. Processed foods=cancer. Most all of our food is organic and we get our proteins from vegetable proteins (e.g. beans). So, our food bills have increased quite a bit. It has taken time to get used to as I was raised on meat and potatoes but we've done it. I still like a steak once in a while so I do indulge in one (perhaps one every 1-2 months. I feel better and found that meat just takes away my edge and tires me.

Curious to see what Food, inc. is all about.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #6 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

We changed our diet radically years ago. We cut out red meat entirely and eat other meats like pork / chicken perhaps 2-3 times a month - a treat. It is clear from our reading that meat, not just the hormones but animal protein is fully linked to cancer. So free range chicken and organically fed cattle are not good enough. Processed foods=cancer. Most all of our food is organic and we get our proteins from vegetable proteins (e.g. beans). So, our food bills have increased quite a bit. It has taken time to get used to as I was raised on meat and potatoes but we've done it. I still like a steak once in a while so I do indulge in one (perhaps one every 1-2 months. I feel better and found that meat just takes away my edge and tires me.

Curious to see what Food, inc. is all about.

What about when you get invited to BBq's, it must be hard to resist

Frank

post #7 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 04:43 AM

Liked: 14
You can change your diet all you want and eat as much broccoli as you can, but remember that the most important decision you can make as to whether or not you get cancer is to choose your parents wisely.
post #8 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I swore off junk for good...Only Levi's for me...never felt better.
post #9 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist2 View Post

You can change your diet all you want and eat as much broccoli as you can, but remember that the most important decision you can make as to whether or not you get cancer is to choose your parents wisely.

Genetics are a part of it... That said, cancers are ubiquitous in western societies since the first half of the century - then we went to processed foods and increased meat consumption. We have genetic triggers spurred by animal protein that can cause cancers. Don't trigger them (reduce meat), and you'll either avoid the cancer or develop it much later than you would have. However, some cancers are simply going to happen regardless

Read the China Study - where it looks at individual populations in China. Evaluating cultures that eat no meat and other Chinese that do. It is compelling evidence against animal protein. Meat eaters get the type of cancers we get (stomach, prostate, breast, etc). Non meat eating cultures have no such cancers.

But away from the health benefits, the cutting / reducing meat has given me more of a daily edge and increased energy!

post #10 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

What about when you get invited to BBq's, it must be hard to resist

I'll cheat on occasion! But veggie burgers are getting better. The Morningstar Grillers Prime are as close to a burger as I have found!

post #11 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a small clip from the book:

The research project culminated in a 20-year partnership of Cornell University, Oxford University, and the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, a survey of diseases and lifestyle factors in rural China and Taiwan. More commonly known as the China Study, “this project eventually produced more than 8000 statistically significant associations between various dietary factors and disease.”

The findings? “People who ate the most animal-based foods got the most chronic disease … People who ate the most plant-based foods were the healthiest and tended to avoid chronic disease. These results could not be ignored,” said Dr. Campbell.

In The China Study, Dr. Campbell details the connection between nutrition and heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, and also its ability to reduce or reverse the risk or effects of these deadly illnesses. The China Study also examines the source of nutritional confusion produced by powerful lobbies, government entities, and irresponsible scientists.

post #12 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 08:05 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 200
My father had bowel cancer which luckily enough it was caught on time. We were big on Bbqs when we were younger but ever since I've been married it's more veggies and chicken. I have BBQ every know and then and certainly don't knock it back but the Doctor did say it's defintley genetics. I've had a colonoscopy 2 years ago which was clear but have to be checked every 5 years. Another good source of healthy food I found is baked beans.

Frank

post #13 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 AM

For me, there are just things I'm better off not knowing.
I'll pass on this one.

Ignorance is bliss !

- John
post #14 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

For me, there are just things I'm better off not knowing.
I'll pass on this one.

Ignorance is bliss !

Haha.. coincedentally the same line Cypher uttered when speaking with the Agent as he bit into a nice steak!
post #15 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Here's a small clip from the book:

The research project culminated in a 20-year partnership of Cornell University, Oxford University, and the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, a survey of diseases and lifestyle factors in rural China and Taiwan. More commonly known as the China Study, this project eventually produced more than 8000 statistically significant associations between various dietary factors and disease.

The findings? People who ate the most animal-based foods got the most chronic disease People who ate the most plant-based foods were the healthiest and tended to avoid chronic disease. These results could not be ignored, said Dr. Campbell.

In The China Study, Dr. Campbell details the connection between nutrition and heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, and also its ability to reduce or reverse the risk or effects of these deadly illnesses. The China Study also examines the source of nutritional confusion produced by powerful lobbies, government entities, and irresponsible scientists.

For every study, or theory there is an opposing study, or theory. Most of the Vegans I have seen do not look all that healthy, so I would say based on personal experience they are wrong. Most Vegans look like walking corpses. It's all about moderation, not over doing things.
post #16 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

For every study, or theory there is an opposing study, or theory. Most of the Vegans I have seen do not look all that healthy, so I would say based on personal experience they are wrong. Most Vegans look like walking corpses. It's all about moderation, not over doing things.

Some (vegans) do. Many do not. 'Looking healthy' and eating foods that are directly correlated with cancer are two different things. Meat, meat protein, hormones in beef are carcinogenic. How carcinogenic varies. What we do know is meat and processed foods are associated with obesity, cancer and other medical maladies.

Moderation for some folks is one meat meal per day. Some once a week. Some once a month. With so much cancer in the USA (and other western societies) and so little cancer in meatless societies, staying away from meat will do better to combat a potential cancer diagnosis than eating it in moderation.

That said, we are having more trouble with our daughters with the meat thing! They love it!!!

post #17 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Some (vegans) do. Many do not. 'Looking healthy' and eating foods that are directly correlated with cancer are two different things. Meat, meat protein, hormones in beef are carcinogenic. How carcinogenic varies. What we do know is meat and processed foods are associated with obesity, cancer and other medical maladies.

Moderation for some folks is one meat meal per day. Some once a week. Some once a month. With so much cancer in the USA (and other western societies) and so little cancer in meatless societies, staying away from meat will do better to combat a potential cancer diagnosis than eating it in moderation.

That said, we are having more trouble with our daughters with the meat thing! They love it!!!

I live in Southern California and there are tons of Vegans here. I have never met one that looked in shape. Most of them look like if I punched them their bodies would crumble, not that I would...well I might. Veganism is more like a religion, with a bunch of nuts trying to convert people. It all has to do with genetics, I know people who have smoked 2 packs a day, and been drunk most days of their lives and they live to 95. They never had cancer, or any other life threatening disease. Some people are ultra healthy, no smoking, no drinking and die in their 30's. Some children get cancer, what's the cause then?
post #18 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I live in Southern California and there are tons of Vegans here. I have never met one that looked in shape. Most of them look like if I punched them their bodies would crumble, not that I would...well I might. Veganism is more like a religion, with a bunch of nuts trying to convert people. It all has to do with genetics, I know people who have smoked 2 packs a day, and been drunk most days of their lives and they live to 95. They never had cancer, or any other life threatening disease. Some people are ultra healthy, no smoking, no drinking and die in their 30's. Some children get cancer, what's the cause then?

I live in the Detroit area. We are one of the fattest areas in the country. It is hard to believe how many overweight kids and adults are here. We wonder why healthcare is so expensive? We are doing it to ourselves with diabetes, obesity, cancer, and hypertension skyrocketing. Much of this (certainly not all of it) preventable or controllable - and garbage diets being the biggest cause.

I'm not supporting veganism. That is fine for them, but I do like cheese on some things. Genetics is a big part of it and there is no sure fire answer to perfect health.

You can only do what you think is smart with your body.

Meat, hormones are known carcinogens. That is a fact. I may still get cancer someday, but I'm not going to help it get me by living a lifestyle that makes things easiest for it to take hold. Exercise is important as well. I run 30 miles a week and actively participate in 1/2 marathons and 5K/10K races. My marathon days are over.. I have no ill effects in keeping in shape without meat in my diet. Perhaps the vegans you know have other issues.

I choose not to risk it and eat healthy. I'm not a vegan as I eat dairy but am practically a meatless eater. It took a couple years to ween myself off the glorious food as an everyday thing, but it can be done.

This documentary will hopefully be more 'food' to keep me honest.

Health is the primary reason for me in avoiding meat but quality of life and staving off the effects of age for as long as possible is the other reason for eating well. There are many benefits to eating well.

post #19 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Boy this thread sure is getting off topic. Has anyone besides myself and thedeskE seen this film? How do you feel about cows being feed corn vice grass? What about the way chickens are being bred? Let's get back on topic!

Veganism is not the focus of this documentary.

For those that have not seen the film and would like to know what the film is about read the info below copied from IMDB:

Author: Turfseer

Food Inc. is the new brilliant documentary which should shock all Americans about what has become of our food supply. It begins with the camera slowly panning through a supermarket, focusing on row after row of sanitized food products. The point is made that there are only a few multi-national corporations who actually produce the vast majority of food products seen on our supermarket shelves today. They seek to lull a complacent public into believing that the food we eat is wholesome and is produced in the simple spirit of our agrarian forefathers. Of course, we soon see that their marketing seeks to cover up a much more sinister reality.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Food Inc. first focuses on chicken production. The filmmakers got a hold of one chicken producer who raises chickens for Tyson Foods, perhaps the largest poultry provider in the country. The chicken producer was more than willing to show his behind-the scenes-operation until he was told by Tyson to shut up. It's obvious they didn't want him to show how the chickens were raisedthousands of them shut up in a building devoid of sunlight and being fed with cheap corn products to fatten them up. Today's chickens were contrasted with the chickens of yesteryear and today they are twice the size. They were able to interview a woman who raised chickens for Perdue. She apparently was fed up and refused to go along with Perdue's directives to raise her chickens using mass production techniques. But even with her more humane efforts, many of her chickens were dying due to antibiotic resistance. The woman herself indicated that she had developed health problems as a result of contact with these antibiotics. One of the film's revelations I wasn't aware of, was that these small businessmen are at the mercy of the conglomerates and if they don't do what they say, they'll be put out of business.

Another segment involves a food safety crusader who lost her three year old to E Coli contamination after eating a tainted hamburger. She sponsors "Kevin's Law", named after her fallen son but gets little support in Congress due to the lobbying efforts of the food industry who have prevented passage of the bill.

More shocking revelations abound including an extended segment on just how pervasive corn has not only been utilized as a cheap source of food for livestock (leading to the proliferation of manure that gets into our food supply) but also how it's used to create new processed food with little nutritional value. We also meet a lower middle-class Hispanic family who can't avoid eating fast food even though they're aware how unhealthy it is for them. The father is suffering from early onset Diabetes which is becoming one of the fastest growing health problems linked to eating unhealthy meals of processed food. The family not only doesn't have the time to shop for better foods but they don't have the moneyso they end up going to McDonald's instead.

Immigrant workers are also exploited by the multinationals who used to recruit farmers in Mexico who could no longer compete against the big food producers in the U.S. They shipped the workers here in droves where they're now economically dependent on these corporations despite working in horribly unsanitary conditions. Now with anti-immigrant sentiment running wild, a few token workers are rounded up everyday to appease the public and the corporations are never charged with hiring illegal help.

The most shocking information we learn is the role of Monsanto Corporation monopolizing the soybean market. As a result of a Supreme Court decision, Monsanto now holds a 'patent' on their genetically modified soybean. They've ended up destroying the careers of small farmers by suing them for violation of their patents (Monsanto's soybean ends up as part of the farmers' crop so they're accused of infringement). What's worse is the long line of government officials, former Monstanto employees, who are now (and have been) in the highest positions in the Food and Drug Administration responsible for food safety oversight. Ten years ago, there were 50,000 food safety inspections a yearlast year the FDA only authorized 9,000. And these officials weren't only appointed during the Bush administration. President Clinton also had a healthy share of these former Monsantoites working at the FDA.

While Monsanto is clearly the biggest villain among many, Food Inc. attempts to highlight more productive people in the 'system'. One interview focuses on an organic livestock producer who feeds his cattle grass and not corn. While it's clear he treats his livestock better than the conglomerates, I'm not a believer in the idea of 'compassionate slaughter'. Why eat meat at all? There's also an interview with the president of Stonyfield Farms, famous for organic yogurt. He ended up selling out to Walmart but he feels it was a good thing since 'better' products were made available to the public on a mass scale. Again, the sale of any kind of dairy products (organic or not) is not a good thing in the long run for one's health.

Food Inc. attempts to end on an optimistic note. It's up to the consumer to choose more healthy food. The example of successful consumer action is cited in the case of the tobacco industry which was brought down after the public woke up to the deleterious effects of its products. Until the public is willing to look behind the veil of unhealthy food production in this country, they will continue to enjoy bad meals at McDonald's and other nefarious 'restaurants'. Food Inc. is one of those rare documentaries which can open peoples' eyesand that's not easy to do!

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #20 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 AM

Reminds me of that story of the ignorant-yet-well-intentioned parents who tried to feed and raise their baby on an all organic\\vegan diet.. and sadly of course the child passed away. Really sad, but it highlights that our bodies were not made (or evolved) to live on plants alone.
post #21 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Let's stick to the movie please. Diets do not really fall into the realm of AVS.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #22 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Let's get back on topic!

The indy farmer with the glasses was the Hero of the film IMO. He can only serve a small group of people, but wow - the real deal. The opening of the film starts with images of what he is and ends with him.

Much discussed around here is the layout of our dominate chains (Kroger & Publix) and how the real food is
placed in the rear left and right corners of all stores. The 85% in the center is basically garbage in pretty bags. You have to pass by the junk to get to the what resembles food in the corners. The images in this film are much the same.

500k in debt and 18k a year salary for small farmers?
Is this real?

Funny (or not) I've been hearing the term 'Corn Fed Beef' for some time, but never put together anything bad about it until this. Advertising as propaganda?

As for Monsanto, I remember horror stories from their beginnings in South America. I had no idea there was such a dominate program in the US and it doesn't look very different from what's going on south of the border.

A closely related documentary - http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle23860.htm
post #23 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Reminds me of that story of the ignorant-yet-well-intentioned parents who tried to feed and raise their baby on an all organic\\vegan diet.. and sadly of course the child passed away. Really sad, but it highlights that our bodies were not made (or evolved) to live on plants alone.

Actually, they were made for plants. Meat is the foreign body - processed foods in particular - the topic of the film. I just received it from Netflix, so we'll see!

A poor analogy about one kid's death.

post #24 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Actually, they were made for plants. Meat is the foreign body - processed foods in particular - the topic of the film. I just received it from Netflix, so we'll see!

A poor analogy about one kid's death.

Well it would be, sure, if what I was said was untrue and your counter was in fact true.. But such is not the case (and please spare me the single-study links of "proof"). My keyword was "alone" and therefore my anaolgy is perfectly applicable. I do agree that they weren't made for processed foods however.

Sounds like you'll already love the film no matter what, but I also am looking forward to seeing it myself.
post #25 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

processed foods in particular - the topic of the film.

I see a different topic. Perhaps you'll change your mind after viewing the film.
Processing is there for flavor
post #26 of 61 Old 11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Funny (or not) I've been hearing the term 'Corn Fed Beef' for some time, but never put together anything bad about it until this. Advertising as propaganda?

Exactly, we (the consumer) have been led to believe it is a good thing.

Quote:

As for Monsanto, I remember horror stories from their beginnings in South America. I had no idea there was such a dominate program in the US and it doesn't look very different from what's going on south of the border.

Something we all should be concerned about.

Quote:

I see a different topic. Perhaps you'll change your mind after viewing the film.
Processing is there for flavor

+1

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #27 of 61 Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Finally, watched Food Inc last night and found it a slanted, vague expose of the meat industry. I become wary of any documentary when there are multiple accusations made without any balance from the other side. To say, "no one from the industry would comment" each time a significant accusation was made kills any credibility. Those interviewed may have had valid claims against big business or simply have an axe to grind. No balance

Very little learned and just too far slanted and opinionated. Cannot recommend even though I am concerned about the foods we eat and looked forward to this as we've essentially cut all meats out of our diet here at home.

Thumbs down!

post #28 of 61 Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Finally, watched Food Inc last night and found it a slanted, vague expose of the meat industry. I become wary of any documentary when there are multiple accusations made without any balance from the other side. To say, "no one from the industry would comment" each time a significant accusation was made kills any credibility. Those interviewed may have had valid claims against big business or simply have an axe to grind. No balance

Very little learned and just too far slanted and opinionated. Cannot recommend even though I am concerned about the foods we eat and looked forward to this as we've essentially cut all meats out of our diet here at home.

Thumbs down!

Here are some comments I found relating to Food, Inc which I agree with. Do you disagreed with the following? Did you know all of this before seeing the movie?

The way we grow food has changed more in the last 50 years than it had in the last 1,000!

The way poultry and beef are managed in the farms and slaughter houses is simply revolting and makes you really think hard about what you are putting in your mouth.

Farmers don't have much control at all on their business if they are producing food for the giant food companies those big companies own them.

Corn by-products are everywhere and they are present in most foods you eat every single day unless you make an effort to read the labels.

Cows are now fed corn instead of grass, which means they get fat really fast.

Why grow a chicken in 70 days (the way it used to be done) when you can grow one in 35 days and make money from it - this is a quote from a farmer who grows chicken for one of the four food conglomerates (Tyson).

Since Americans love white meat more, a new breed of chicken has been engineered to have large breast (than what's normal).

Farmed fish is fed corn now.

America is addicted to the following diet: high fat, high salt and high sugar (aka the American Diet)! That explains the obesity problem well.

1 in 6 people will develop type 2 diabetes, that number jumps to 1 in 2 among minorities!

Some families simply don't have the money to buy fruits and vegetables and when they find themselves with $10-$12 to feed a family of four, they head to the fast food joint because there is no way in hell that will ever happen if you buy healthy foods.

A low income couple in the movie (they were Latinos) compared fruits to chips. This family that we were able to track was interviewed and the wife said that if you have little money to buy food, you might not be able to afford fruits while chips are in your price range.

The movie explains why there is all of a sudden a spike in e-coli and tainted beef cases in recent years.

The corn industry in Mexico was shut down and over 1 million farmers where put out of work because corn in America is over produced to keep the price dirt-cheap and Mexican farmers could no longer compete one of the four big players in the food industry has hired many of these out of work farmers and have them working in America the whole concept of illegal alien takes an interesting twist in the movie and really makes you think hard about who is really pulling the financial strings.

Did you not find the link between soybeans, genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and Monsanto quite telling and quite scary.

Once you see this film, it's no surprise food companies have been lobbying to keep fat content and other telling details from the packaging the best way to keep people oppressed is to keep them ignorant!

Many people in powerful lobbying positions in American politics once worked for one of the major food conglomerate so your interests are not top of mind because these front men and women are in Washington to advance the needs of companies that must in some way or another remunerate handsomely.

Visit your farmers' markets, especially during summer months and start eating local foods.

Eat in season you'll end up with a better tasting produce!

Here is what Monsanto has to say about Food Inc: Monsanto on Food Inc

Who are you going to believe?

As one reviewer stated: Food, Inc. is a bracing and disturbing documentary about the industrialization of farming, the dangers of genetically modified food, and the growing power of the unregulated Big Agriculture.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #29 of 61 Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I knew a lot of this but I imagine few others do.

I just prefer balance in any documentary. They shouldve tried harder to get the other side Recall they talked to 20 or 30 some chicken coup owners bfore they could get inside one. Should have applied a similar effort to get the industry's side.

Perhaps I am being a bit tough. I would agree that to the average viewer whose never paid attention to their food or diet, it would provide a good eye openned to what's going on and perhaps a a motivation to find out more.

post #30 of 61 Old 11-13-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:

I just prefer balance in any documentary.

If that's the case, why would you watch anything Michael Moore has his fingers in.

Balance has never been his agenda.

- John
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page