Review older films here: 1979 and earlier - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
No, Kilgore. I didn't delete the post. I can still see it, not sure what happened.
I chose not to do anything about it because I'd rather settle this right away instead of continuing with a lie, even if I have to dig me in a hole. To me, this issue is not so simple as you make it appear, but since I'm causing visible discomfort, and to respect the spirit of the forum, I won't post further reviews from downloads in this thread nor the 80s thread.

To explain my attitude:

I don't regard cinema merely as short-lived entertainment or disposable pleasure. I love cinema as an art form, it is a necessity to me, just like music and literature. I download most movies for two reasons. Primary reason is I can't afford to pay for the copies nor to go to the theater as much as I want. Second reason stems, in part, from the previous one--I have been led to believe that people shouldn't have to pay for art nor any such valuable asset for personal growth. It's not because I don't care or don't take it seriously. Giving money into a vice doesn't make it any more serious. A vice is a vice, and it's as serious as the addicted feels. If that makes me not a cinephile then so be it, it's just a word. I know that I take movies very seriously, and I know that I go through a bit of suffering when I oblige myself to write about them.

Should artists be rewarded for their work?
Yes, of course. Artists must be rewarded for their work, it's their lives.

But what about those who can't afford to see or appreciate ther work? Do they deserve to be kept in ignorance? I don't think so. That seems quite unfair to me. It is my honest opinion that art is immensely valuable as a factor for personal growth, therefore, it must be freely available for everyone; money shouldn't have any say in this. Just as I think that all levels of education should be free for everyone (I'm not saying that art and academic education are the same thing, I'm saying that they are equally important and it's not fair to discriminate between poor and rich). This isn't necessarily contradictory with the fact that artists need to see some profit from their work, but in reality things are quite non-ideal. Utopia, yes. But with the advent of Internet this utopia has become a reality difficult resist for cinema and music lovers like me. Don't know what more to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 210
You are noble in your thievery. You are also deceiving yourself.

I am a musician. Every dollar I earn comes from performing music, and teaching music. It took me 15 years to accumulate all the movies in my collection. I paid for every one of them.

I have no car. I have no house. I have a nice home theater and 1900 movies. You know why? I don't need a car. I prefer to rent an apartment.

...but I LOVE cinema.

I have friends who admire my collection. They think I spend an awful lot of money on movies I could just as easily download for free. They always ask to borrow a movie. I tell them to get stuffed.

I have other friends who buy movies as well (few as they might be). They ask to borrow a movie. I gladly let them borrow whatever they want.

You know why?

...because they appreciate it.

You may think you're a cinema lover, but trust me...you're not. You're a thief. My neighbor has a car I can't afford. Why can't I just go and take it? It's because I would be a thief. It's EXACTLY the same thing when you syphon movies off the internet like gasoline through a syphon hose.

And no, you cannot borrow my copy of Apocalypse Now: Full Disclosure Edition Blu-ray.

Sorry, Bill....you can now have your wonderful thread back.
JackNine likes this.

Last edited by Kilgore; 06-22-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970), directed by Don Siegel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me

Sister Sara: We'd better hurry. I've never seen a train blown to hell and gone before.
When Clint Eastwood is running explosives to Mexican revolutionaries and encounters a bunch of drunks about to rape a naked nun in the desert, you can be sure the villains do not need to make any long term plans.

We have several genres combined:

• The light adventure story, not too serious, but with action, humor and romance.
  • The "blowing stuff up in Mexico" genre, which would include The Professionals (1966) and 100 Rifles (1969), for example.
  • The wry comment on spaghetti westerns, with Eastwood in the Man With No Name clothes and the great goofy Ennio Morricone score.
  • The tough guy frustrated by an inaccessible female traveling companion.

The joke is on Clint this time: the audience learns long before he does that Sara ain't no nun. This is a bit irreverent: we get the same church music for both madonna and whore.

Misc notes:

• The title is also a joke: Clint is her second mule.
  • Does that guy love dynamite or what?
  • Notice how Mexico can be a land of ancient ruins?
  • Now and then we get the rare close-ups of the anonymous extras, as in the pain and sadness in the eyes of the firing squad as they march away after an execution.
  • I've read that both Siegel and Eastwood were intimidated by Shirley MacLaine; she can be fierce. The characters have a nicely relaxed chemistry, not very passionate but that's not his style anyway.
  • The original story was by the great western director Budd Boetticher, who wanted to make it himself with Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum, more or less reprising their roles from Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957). It was taken away from him, rewritten and somehow found its way to Liz Taylor, who offered it to Eastwood. Then she couldn't be in it.

Available on Blu-ray and pretty fine looking.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
I treat Redux as an extra feature, like a deleted scene composite. The added scenes are interesting but entirely unnecessary. I'm glad to be able to have seen them, but when I sit back to re-watch Apocalypse, I always go for the theatrical version.
I view the theatrical cut and the Redux cut as two separate movies that approach the same subject from different angles. The theatrical cut is a movie about archetypes and themes. The Redux cut humanizes the characters and is a movie about people.

I agree that the theatrical cut is the artistically superior movie, but I've come to appreciate the Redux cut over the years for its different viewpoint. It's a movie that was assembled by an artist many years after the original production. The fiery passion may have dulled, but it has a more reflective tone. Both should continue to co-exist.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

The Magic Christian (1969), directed by Joseph McGrath.

Another absurd, skit-based 1960s satirical freakout film. Shelve it with:

It's perhaps clearer in the book (not all the film skits make any sense) but the moral is: "Every man has his price". Peter Sellers expertly mugs as Sir Guy Grand, fabulously wealthy and eccentric, hauling Ringo Starr along for no good reason.

The satire is heavy handed even by the standards of the unsubtle genre. Still, if you know someone with a childish sense of humor who enjoys the prospect of the stupid and cruel practical jokes a billionaire could arrange: this might be a good gift.

A confession of childish sense of humor: we laughed until we cried at this one. Well, those were different days. My favorite bits:

• The auction at Sotheby's: "Mark it SOLD to the old American twit in the front row".
  • Sir Guy at the restaurant: he wears a raincoat and is strapped into le chaise gastronomique while the food is smeared in his face.

In the final bit, businessmen dive for free money in a heated vat of blood, urine and manure.

Too many cameo parts to mention, including the pre-Monty Python John Cleese and Graham Chapman, who also get writing credits.

If the film is remembered at all, it's for some poster art of Raquel Welch as "Priestess of the Whip", managing a crew of naked female galley slaves.

The title has no meaning.

Happy score by Badfinger.

As usual, the Olive Films Blu-ray has no subtitles or extras, but the image is rather good. The old DVD had been cropped to 1.33; this is 1.77.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Old 07-03-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Red River (1948), produced and directed by Howard Hawks.

The two most prominent features of this massive cattle drive story are:

• John Wayne, showing (as if it needed demonstration) that he can be a flawed protagonist, always strong but sometimes in the wrong.
  • Montgomery Clift (age 26 when it was filmed) bringing new youthful vigor into westerns. In many ways he is like his elders: he's been to war, is fast with a gun, taciturn and steadfast. But he departs from them in having new ideals and being able to reject even legitimate authority.

That post-War movie vision of youth will soon sour, derailing into juvenile delinquent and biker films.

The movie has a John Ford look (and uses some of his regulars), but is maybe a bit talkier and has more spice in the romance.

The ending is a mixed bag. We never quite trusted tough guy John Ireland but he was not actually a villain and it seems unjust to see him shot down. We didn't want Wayne and Clift to kill each other, but the happy ending resolution seems abrupt and "Hollywood".

I always enjoy seeing Joanne Dru, who I think was under-appreciated. I'll have to watch Wagon Master (1950) again; I recall her being extra cute there. She married John Ireland after this film; he was the second of her four husbands.

Some of the cattle drive is done with process shots, but we also have a real, vast herd and impressive shots of managing them, as when crossing the river. Some dangerous looking stunts.

A good bit: caught between enraged John Wayne and marauding Comanches, our drovers elect to keep ahead of the Duke.

Dimitri Tiomkin score. Hawks' first western.

Available on Blu-ray from Criterion. Some fine imagery, although a few of the scenes are from a much poorer source.

-Bill

Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 198
outstanding movie... is that on BD?

VPI Classic 2/Soundsmith Aida
Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp - Budgie SUT - Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio - Klipsch RC64II - Klipsch SW115
Samsung PN64D8000 - OPPO BDP93
Klipsch Image Ones - Klipsch x11i
Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
outstanding movie... is that on BD?
Red River? Yes: Criterion. Netflix has it; they've been pretty good about getting Criterion Blu-rays recently.

-Bill

Old 07-06-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

-Bill
Yet another nice collage. Interesting movie.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

I always enjoy seeing Joanne Dru, who I think was under-appreciated. I'll have to watch Wagon Master (1950) again; I recall her being extra cute there. She married John Ireland after this film; he was the second of her four husbands.

-Bill
Poor Joanne didn't enjoy being typecast.

"Two years later she "redeemed" herself with her role in the classic Howard Hawks western Red River (1948). She followed that with another western, John Ford's She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949), again playing opposite John Wayne. Unfortunately, her success in those two classics resulted in the scripts being submitted to her consisting of mostly westerns, and she got typecast (this from a woman who said, "I simply hated horses...")."

Joanne Dru may have been cute but I heard she once put a man's eye out.

Sorry it's been a slow day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	joanne-dru.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	150426  
wmcclain likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Jean Aurthur also had some cross over issues.

BTW, I would love to see The Plainsman on BD someday soon.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957), directed by John Huston.

This is another in the "adventures of a tough guy and an inaccessible woman" genre, similar to Huston's own The African Queen. Some plausible survival plot -- hide in a cave -- but also crazy heroics, like sneaking into the enemy camp for supplies.

Deborah Kerr played a sharp-witted, flashing-eyed nun in Black Narcissus ten years earlier. Here she is more of a simple Irish girl, although still amazingly expressive in small movements of her face and eyes.

She hasn't taken her final vows yet, and is sorely tempted by Robert Mitchum's honest and respectful declarations. But it is not to be: this is an exception to the rule that men and women can't be "just friends".

Kerr and Mitchum were life-long friends after this. According to a booklet with the disc the cement was an incident when she was rowing a boat and Huston yelled "Faster! Faster!" She applied herself and yelled back "Is this ****ing fast enough?" I'd love to see outtakes.

The Twilight Time Blu-ray is not very impressive. Poor detail and registration. (I say "registration", although I read in the High Def Digest review that this was not done in three-strip Technicolor. I don't know enough about film to explain why I see color fringes, but I do see them). As with many color films of that era, the green is particularly deficient. We expect more vivid saturation in tropical foliage.

-Bill

Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

that's to bad, I had high hopes for that Screen Archives exclusive. to be honest, I dont think this was a true technicolor release originally was it?

Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 95
What's Up Tiger Lily?, 1966, Woody Allen

This cult film is the spiritual forefather of Mystery Science Theater 3000, although instead of providing running commentary with an occasional voice-over, the entire film is a voice over. Allen purchased the rights to a Japanese spy film ("International Secret Police: Key of Keys"), and re-dubbed all the dialogue...but with a completely different plot. Allen's version of the movie revolves around the stolen recipe for the world's best egg salad. The movie is completely silly, but fun.

Some sample dialogue:

Quote:
High Macha Of Rashpur: "Good afternoon. I am the Grand Exalted High Macha of Raspur, a nonexistent but real-sounding country."
Phil Moscowitz: "Uh-huh."
High Macha Of Rashpur: "Yes. We're on a waiting list. As soon as there's an opening on the map, we're next."
Quote:
Suki Yaki: "I managed to find this dress in there, but not a stitch of underwear."
Phil Moscowitz: "No underwear? I find that very interesting."
Suki Yaki: "Don't excite yourself. I never sleep with a man who owns a dress."
Phil Moscowitz: "Oh, neither do I. I feel exactly the same way."
Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
What's Up Tiger Lily?, 1966, Woody Allen
It's been many years, and I only remember two lines (from memory):

[Beautiful woman approaches] Hero: "Ah, an oriental".

Hero: "The director has to do his traditional cameo apprearance". [Caucasian couple walk across the scene]. Hero: "Slimebag".

-Bill

Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 77
"Meet me in the bedroom in five minutes, and bring a cattle prod."

An hysterical movie, replete with great lines.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Joanne Dru may have been cute but I heard she once put a man's eye out.
I dare you to tell a John Ireland joke.

-Bill

Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I dare you to tell a John Ireland joke.

-Bill
I think the only thing most old timers familiar with the John Ireland legend needs is the punchline; "C'mon, John, just take out enough to win."

Or maybe that was Forrest Tucker...
Old 07-10-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post
I think the only thing most old timers familiar with the John Ireland legend needs is the punchline; "C'mon, John, just take out enough to win."

Or maybe that was Forrest Tucker...
According to The Book of the Penis it was Milton Berle.

"There's always been gossip about movie star penises. Movies stars are the lovers everyone yearns for, and if they're ideal, of course their dicks should be big. But here's what movie star Betty garble is reported to have said, in the 1940s: "They say the two best-hung men in Hollywood are Forrest Tucker and Milton Berle. What a shame - it's never handsome ones. The bigger they are, the homelier."

Gary Griffin, in Penis Enlargement Methods - Fact and Phallusy, has a thirty-page section full of "well-endowed celebrities," half of it devoted to Hollywood. He gets his information from biographies, books of gossip and reports from readers who claim to have been intimate with celebrities. Of Griffin's Hollywood heavies I will list only the dead ones: Humphrey Bogart, Ward Bond, Jack Cassidy, Charlie Chaplin, Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Freddy Frank, Cary Grant, William Holden, Rock Hudson, John Ireland, Dean Martin, Groucho Marx, Steve McQueen, Dennis O'Keefe, Walter Pidgeon, Aldo Ray, Frank Sinatra, Franchot Tone, Forrest Tucker."

Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
That's right. Guess I got my big celebrities confused.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:

"There's always been gossip about movie star penises. Movies stars are the lovers everyone yearns for, and if they're ideal, of course their dicks should be big. But here's what movie star Betty garble is reported to have said, in the 1940s: "They say the two best-hung men in Hollywood are Forrest Tucker and Milton Berle. What a shame - it's never handsome ones. The bigger they are, the homelier."

Gary Griffin, in Penis Enlargement Methods - Fact and Phallusy, has a thirty-page section full of "well-endowed celebrities," half of it devoted to Hollywood. He gets his information from biographies, books of gossip and reports from readers who claim to have been intimate with celebrities. Of Griffin's Hollywood heavies I will list only the dead ones: Humphrey Bogart, Ward Bond, Jack Cassidy, Charlie Chaplin, Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Freddy Frank, Cary Grant, William Holden, Rock Hudson, John Ireland, Dean Martin, Groucho Marx, Steve McQueen, Dennis O'Keefe, Walter Pidgeon, Aldo Ray, Frank Sinatra, Franchot Tone, Forrest Tucker."
So what you're telling me is that not only did someone write a book about celebrity penises, two separate people wrote books about celebrity penises?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
So what you're telling me is that not only did someone write a book about celebrity penises, two separate people wrote books about celebrity penises?
Don't sell the penis academia short. There are more than two books.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

The Lady from Shanghai (1947), written, produced and directed by Orson Welles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me

My shark had torn himself from the hook, and the scent, or maybe the stain it was, and him bleeding his life away drove the rest of them mad. Then the beasts began to eat each other. In their frenzy, they ate at themselves. You could feel the lust of murder like a wind stinging your eyes, and you could smell the death, reeking up out of the sea. I never saw anything worse...

Until this little picnic tonight.
A quirky thriller. We get fragments and glimpses of a story -- does the plot actually make sense in the end? -- but are mostly off-balance and as confused as our main character. He's intrigued by a beautiful woman and wants to protect her, but she's married and he doesn't want to get mixed up in that. He's crewing a yacht for people he finds contemptible -- he tells them so -- but he's also afraid of them.

As always, when someone asks you to "pretend" to murder them: run! Otherwise you'll find yourself enduring a bizarrely farcical courtroom drama and a graphically wondrous shootout among the funhouse mirrors at the amusement park.

Misc notes:

• A box-office disaster.
  • Glenn Anders did not have a large filmography, but his intense, unblinking"George Grisby", simultaneously scary and slappable, is a vivid character.
  • Rita Hayworth does not perspire.
  • Welles thought the opening carriage-in-the-park segment was terrible and would have cut it. He hated the studio's score for the whole film. He had no control over the final cut: about an hour was removed and the footage has been lost.
  • Welles and Hayworth were married but separated at this time. Doing a film together was her attempt at a reconciliation. It didn't work and they divorced shortly after.
  • His approximate Irish accent is hard to take.
  • That's Errol Flynn's yacht.

The Blu-ray is from the TCM Vault Collection. I'm seeing only intermittent hidef detail; the video itself is only 13GB. No subtitles.

The commentary track by Peter Bogdanovich is not really attached to the film as it plays, and he often inserts himself: "I said this, and then Orson said that, and then I said something else..." Still: he gives a lot of production details and inside stories. Welles called himself a "congenital amateur" in movie-making. And: "I never understood women."

-Bill

Last edited by wmcclain; 07-14-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
The Robe (1953), directed by Henry Koster.

The Roman officer who crucified Jesus is driven mad by the memory, but then converts and faces persecution for his new faith.

This is reasonably opulent and features good color and decoration in the costumes and architecture. In older films Roman robes are plain white and the buildings are always pure white marble. I see a strong gold light shining on many scenes; is that an original part of movie, intentional or inadvertent, or has it been color graded by recent knob-twiddlers?

The devout scenes are very solemn. We find that Jesus was late to the Wedding at Cana -- and why -- and get a look at Peter's shame and redemption.

On the down side: the camera work is pretty static and features slow, ponderous movement, apart from some bits with chariots, possibly quoting the silent Ben Hur. This is the first CinemaScope release (although How to Marry a Millionaire was filmed first) and you can see "mumps" in the rare closeups. They stick to medium and long shots for most of the film.

The story is sedate, nothing like as lively as Ben Hur (1959) or even Barabbas (1961).

Richard Burton is fine when calm, but his impassioned eye-rolling madness is just embarrassing. Victor Mature is a more limited actor but actually acquits himself a bit better here.

Lovely Jean Simmons is slender and virginal. From years ago I remember a review of Jay Robinson as mad Caligula: "shrieking and mincing up a storm".

I thought it was a mistake to call Marcellus a "tribune", but now I read there were military tribunes, an entirely different position than the elected office.

Alfred Newman score. It goes oddly off-genre in the adventure music during the rescue from a dungeon.

Available on Blu-ray.

-Bill

You should have noted that The Robe was shot in two aspect ratios just in case Cinemascope was a bust. Two films were shot, one in Cinemascope and the other in standard Academy 4 X 3 (AKA not pan and scan of Cinemascope version). In the extras there is a scene by scene comparison of the differences of the setups required for each aspect ratio. The on screen movement was intended to be made by the actors, and not produced by camera movement and cuts to move across the set.

The Cinemascope extra was also very interesting. The early Cinemascope camera lenses were in short supply and were not all the same quality.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Two Rode Together (1961), directed by John Ford.

A bleaker, more pessimistic version of The Searchers, tragic and unheroic. In the earlier film John Wayne was trying to get a captive back from the Indians because she was family (near enough), whereas James Stewart is just in it for the money, and is unnecessarily mean about it. Soldier Richard Widmark is more stalwart, but ineffectual.

It's clumsy and uninvolving. They say John Ford was in a bad mental state at the time, didn't want to do the picture and didn't like the result.

Reconsidering: it seems like a better film if you think of it as a story of how civilization collapses when the women and children are taken away. New blood for the Comanches is insanity and a type of life-in-death for the settlers. There is a dark sexual subtext: revulsion of how the women survived, titillation when hearing about it afterward. But it is still very dark: what is broken can't be fixed.

Other good features:

• James Stewart and Richard Widmark have great buddy chemistry. Their dialogue while just sitting and smoking is the best part of the film.
  • Linda Cristal and Shirley Jones are pleasant to watch.
  • Woody Strode is an impressively fierce warrior.

"White women captured by the Indians" is actually a small Western sub-genre. We also have:

Dances With Wolves might fit too, but by then we've passed into a new era of sensitivity.

Twilight Time Blu-ray.

-Bill

Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

The Stranger (1946), directed by Orson Welles.

A nazi war criminal has the perfect new identity as a distinguished professor in a small New England college town. His survival senses start tingling on his wedding day when an old death camp comrade catches up with him and he learns that a G-man has arrived in town. If he is quick and vicious can he still survive? Would you want to be digging a grave in the woods on your wedding night?

This was a rare money-maker for Welles, but a straight thriller was not the type of film he wanted to make, and he didn't think much of it.

As is often the case, Edward G. Robinson is the best thing in the movie. The deep character and gravitas in that observant, ugly face.

Critics at the time were unkind. I seem to like it more than they. The hunter being hunted is always a good plot, with justice remorselessly closing in. As in The Lady from Shanghai (1947) the action finish is dramatic but overblown.

The Kino Blu-ray shows much print damage, variable black levels and whites that are sometimes blown out and too bright. Detail is often good, although I suspect a sharpening technique that also accentuates grain. Commentary track but no subtitles.

Even so, the Kino disc is said to be better than another version from Virgil Films. The film is in the public domain. ClassicFlix has the Kino.

-Bill

Old 07-26-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Two with Rita Hayworth

Two with Rita Hayworth. Both contribute to this montage of her dancing to "Stayin' Alive", which I hope everyone has already seen. Remarkable editing:

Cover Girl (1944), directed by Charles Vidor.

The usual paper-thin musical plot, but Gene Kelly is in charge of the dance arrangements and that makes a difference.

A little bit of Phil Silvers goes a long way with me, but Eve Arden's acid wit is always welcome.

Twilight Time Blu-ray.

Down to Earth (1947), directed by Alexander Hall.

A musical sequel to Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941), silly even by musical standards: a Greek goddess comes to Earth to punch up a Broadway show. Still, Hayworth provides star power.

Remade as Xanadu (1980) with Olivia Newton-John.

Here Comes Mr. Jordan was remade as Heaven Can Wait (1978) with Warren Beatty and Julie Christie, and again (confusingly) as Down to Earth (2001) with Chris Rock.

-Bill

Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

A Hard Day's Night (1964), directed by Richard Lester.

A nearly plotless day in the life. Wacky boy musicians drive their managers and screaming fans mad. Beautiful composition and plenty of tunes, like an early music video. Constant quips and funny business (example: John snorting from a Coke bottle). Some of it is pretty lame, but never mind, off to the next skit.

Message? Youth vs age? Given the example of Paul's "other grandfather", it's more like irreverent fun-lovers vs the blue meanies.

This is pretty irresistible even for skeptics. Beatlemania is an insidious affliction.

They are so young: the early train sequence might as well be on the Hogwarts Express. John, Paul, George and Ringo are 24, 22, 21 and 24 here. Vast, continuing changes after this, and it was all over six years later.

I've never read a history of the group or biographies of its members, so I don't know what was going on behind the scenes. They obviously had huge talent, but also skilled packaging. How much of what we see was natural, and how much designed? The nonthreatening combination of rebellion and smarm?

Already we see their designated characters:

• John: troublemaking ringleader
  • Paul: sweet, could be happy in an old-time music hall
  • George: quiet, introverted
  • Ringo: the band's goat

I notice the ecstatic girl fans each pick one name to scream.

I don't remember Elvis in the 1950s, but I was here for other pop sensations: Madonna and Michael Jackson, for example. But I have never seen anything like The Beatles. They seemed to change everything.

Criterion Blu-ray with an excellent image. The commentary track has what seems like a couple dozen people; I didn't stick with it.

-Bill

Old 08-01-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Marathon Man (1976), directed by John Schlesinger.

In the early scenes we have three episodes of conflict that demonstrate how much we love fighting:

• Two old men -- nazi and Jew -- racing their cars through a Jewish neighborhood in New York. Both love it, until the final fiery moment.
  • Babe in a not very friendly race with another runner.
  • Doc living an almost Bond-like agent's life in Paris, escaping several sudden assassins.

I remember watching this on video with a friend who had a serious dental phobia (and I sympathize, I really do). He yelled narration to his wife in the next room: "Honey, they've brought out the Black & Decker!" When Babe gets a gun: "Just shoot them! Shoot everyone!"

Laurence Olivier and Roy Scheider are fine in their parts. I have no complaints about Dustin Hoffman, other than he seems to have only "wrapped too tight" and "frustrated screaming".

How do you escape dental-torturing nazis? Cardio!

How do you get rid of a villain like Szell? The action ending we have seems like a gimmick and is a rewrite of the original story.

Babe shoots the bad guys with the gun his father used to commit suicide. Does that restore the family honor? It's not worked out.

Novel and screenplay by William Goldman. Soundtrack by Michael Small, who specialized in thrillers.

Available on Blu-ray.

-Bill

Old 08-06-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Harvey (1950), directed by Henry Koster.

Quote:
Orderly (searching for Elwood): Is he alone?

Bartender: Well, there's two schools of thought, sir...
In memory this is the mildest of the gentle, good natured eccentric family comedies. When watching it I'm pulled into its wacky but humane vision and it always seems so much better than I remember.

We think we know James Stewart in all his aspects, but it's amazing how he wears the role like a comfortable suit of clothes, as if he's been Elwood P. Dowd all his life.

I suspect everyone would start seeing the pooka if they hung around long enough. Like the artist who painted his portrait? But I don't know who drinks his martinis, unless... well, never mind.

Obviously adapted from a stage play, which can be a problem, but in this case the story is opened up into a number of locations.

Photographed by William H. Daniels; you can tell. I identify movies by the director, but if I were a real cinephile I would pay vastly more attention to the rest of the crew.

Available on a very nice Blu-ray, with an image both detailed and finely grained.

Quote:
Years ago, my mother used to say to me, she'd say "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

-Bill

Tags
Reviews , Blu Ray Movies , Aliens Blu Ray , The Godfather Collection The Coppola Restoration Blu Ray