Review older films here: 1979 and earlier - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 1409 Old 09-08-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Sabrina (1954), produced and directed by Billy Wilder.

On a vast Long Island estate, the chauffeur's daughter has a life-long crush on the playboy younger son of the house. After she's been to Paris and become all elegant, she has a chance with him. How far will his business-like older brother go to keep her away from him?

This has Wilder's usual bitter-sweet dark comedy, but is a weaker effort. The romantic chemistry between Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn just never ignites. He is written to be a cold fish and that's an obstacle. We watch them separately: she for her luminous charm and beauty, he for unaccustomed ironic comedy.

I never noticed before: Bogart is a good listener.

Misc notes:
  • "Blond" is a startling look for William Holden.
  • As in Funny Face, I think Hepburn's hair and clothes are prettier before she becomes fashionable. Of course, she's never hideous and is a walking dream in a bare-shouldered ball gown.
  • Popping a champagne cork is often a sexual metaphor. What's Wilder mean when the cork hits the window in front of her face?
  • The 1995 remake with Julia Ormond, Harrison Ford and Greg Kinnear uses the same screenplay. It drains even more comedy from the story and tries to be something of a romantic drama with comic elements.
  • Father: "The 20th century? I could pick a century out of a hat, blindfolded, and get a better one."
  • Edith Head costumes.

Available on Blu-ray. The image quality is never really excellent, but seems better in the close-ups than in the long shots. Maybe because of the prominent grain?

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1409 Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
As in Funny Face, I think Hepburn's hair and clothes are prettier before she becomes fashionable. Of course, she's never hideous and is a walking dream in a bare-shouldered ball gown.
Audrey Hepburn was so stylish and elegant, she would have looked gorgeous dressed in sackcloth and ashes. My God, she was beautiful!
post #1383 of 1409 Old 09-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Casablanca (1942)

Excellent (10/10) -- I am grateful to have found THE ORIGINAL ANALOG MOVIE on VHS (Not remastered,nothing digital,etc) -- I am a PURIST and I like originality.. (I hadnt ever seen this before and I didnt wanna see some idiots version of it!!)

The african Queen (1951)

Excellent (10/10)

I am grateful to have found THE ORIGINAL ANALOG MOVIE of this also -- I love Mr Bogart

Journey to the center of the Earth - (1959)

ANOTHER EXCELLENT MOVIE I am grateful to have the original of (10/10)

I could go on and on but Ill leave that for another reply
post #1384 of 1409 Old 09-09-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Casablanca (1942)

Excellent (10/10) -- I am grateful to have found THE ORIGINAL ANALOG MOVIE on VHS (Not remastered,nothing digital,etc) -- I am a PURIST and I like originality.. (I hadnt ever seen this before and I didnt wanna see some idiots version of it!!)

Casablanca was not shot on videotape. It was shot on 35mm film, which is much higher quality than any home video format. The Blu-ray is beautiful and comes very close to matching the original quality as the movie was seen projected in theaters.
robnix and gwsat like this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1385 of 1409 Old 09-09-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Casablanca was not shot on videotape. It was shot on 35mm film, which is much higher quality than any home video format. The Blu-ray is beautiful and comes very close to matching the original quality as the movie was seen projected in theaters.
Amen! What can I say? The flat earth society lives!
post #1386 of 1409 Old 09-09-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

It's one of my goto's for showing off B&W. The team that restored it for the bluray release should be commended for the outstanding work they did bringing out the best this movie has to offer. I couldn't imagine watching this on anything as ghastly as VHS now.

Looky here!
post #1387 of 1409 Old 09-09-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
It's one of my goto's for showing off B&W. The team that restored it for the bluray release should be commended for the outstanding work they did bringing out the best this movie has to offer. I couldn't imagine watching this on anything as ghastly as VHS now.
Indeed! These days videotape, which has a resolution of only 480i, is as obsolete as the horse and buggy. The digital transfer of Casablanca to video is reference quality. The film fairly sparkles on BD. Even BD with its 1080p resolution is somewhat inferior to that of a projection of the original 35mm film. Fortunately, though, the eyes of mere mortals, such as mine, would be hard pressed to see any difference between the original film and the BD.
post #1388 of 1409 Old 09-09-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Indeed! These days videotape, which has a resolution of only 480i, is as obsolete as the horse and buggy. The digital transfer of Casablanca to video is reference quality. The film fairly sparkles on BD. Even BD with its 1080p resolution is somewhat inferior to that of a projection of the original 35mm film. Fortunately, though, the eyes of mere mortals, such as mine, would be hard pressed to see any difference between the original film and the BD.
My projector screen goes up Friday night. I think I just found my late night viewing.

Looky here!
post #1389 of 1409 Old 09-09-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
My projector screen goes up Friday night. I think I just found my late night viewing.
Good choice! Casablanca is one of my all time favorite BDs. It was brilliantly filmed and the digital transfer did it justice. Not to mention, that it's a great motion picture!
post #1390 of 1409 Old 09-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Casablanca was not shot on videotape. It was shot on 35mm film, which is much higher quality than any home video format.
Yes your right.... It was done IN ANALOG which is beautiful
post #1391 of 1409 Old 09-10-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes your right.... It was done IN ANALOG which is beautiful
If you're championing VHS as a more faithful copy of the movie, I don't think you actually understand the difference between analog and digital. I also suspect that you may be legally blind.
robnix and gwsat like this.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #1392 of 1409 Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 PM

Im just telling you WHAT I LIKE BETTER buddy (And always have)

Everyone is entitled to what they like
post #1393 of 1409 Old 09-11-2014, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

More reviews, less squabbling, please.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1394 of 1409 Old 09-11-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You are absolutely right. If you are pleased with your VHS copy of Casablanca that's your business. Anyway, I think we all agree that Casablanca is a wonderful film, no matter the medium used to view it.
post #1395 of 1409 Old 09-12-2014, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Coma (1978), written and directed by Michael Crichton.

Why are so many patients suffering from unexplained comas? And why is it dangerous to ask?

A methodically developed medical thriller, realistic in the hospital details, as you would expect from Michael Crichton, MD. The direction and camera work seem a bit better than what I recall of his other films, but it could have been tightened up quite a bit. Too much goopy soap opera: doctors Genevieve Bujold and Michael Douglas must be in love -- they walk on the beach together.

Hospitals are natural thriller settings. The procedures and prospects are scary, and the doctors are intimidating even when not villainous. It's really disturbing when even they don't know what's going wrong. Paranoia always arrives eventually.

In the end it's a message film: the dangers of trusting the authorities, the evil of a system that sees people as spare parts.

With Richard Widmark and Rip Torn. Young fresh faces: Tom Selleck and Ed Harris.

Jerry Goldsmith's score really helps amp up the action and tension in the second half.

Available on Blu-ray.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1396 of 1409 Old 09-12-2014, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Sure, and nobody's telling you to change your preferences. However, the reasons you give for liking it this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111
I am grateful to have found THE ORIGINAL ANALOG MOVIE on VHS (Not remastered,nothing digital,etc) -- I am a PURIST and I like originality.
...just doesn't make any sense. Since you're not entitled to you own facts, you just have to accept that people will point out that you're flat out wrong about the reasons you state for liking the VHS version better.

Film is analog, VHS is analog. True. But, that alone does not ensure that the VHS edition will be closer to the ORIGINAL presentation of the movie than a digital version, like, say, the Blu-ray edition.
post #1397 of 1409 Old 09-12-2014, 07:48 AM

Im not wrong at all!!

To me its beautiful,thats all that matters
post #1398 of 1409 Old 09-12-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Im not wrong at all!!

To me its beautiful,thats all that matters
What size screen are you watching on, and when was the last time you had your vision checked?

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #1399 of 1409 Old 09-12-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Coma (1978), written and directed by Michael Crichton.
I haven't watched Coma in ages, but remember being entertained by it.

The recent TV remake was pointless and terrible.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #1400 of 1409 Old 09-12-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I haven't watched Coma in ages, but remember being entertained by it.

The recent TV remake was pointless and terrible.
I liked Coma too. Michael Crichton certainly was not the greatest screenwriter or director who ever came along but he made a number of movies I really liked, among them Westworld (1973) and The Great Train Robbery (1978).

On another note, last night I watched Billy Wilder's classic The Apartment (1960) with the then young and immensely appealing Shirley MacLane and Jack Lemmon. I hadn't seen it in many years and had forgotten how bittersweet and brilliant the film is. Wilder was never bad but at his best, as he certainly was when he made The Apartment, there was no writer-director better.
post #1401 of 1409 Old 09-12-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
On another note, last night I watched Billy Wilder's classic The Apartment (1960) with the then young and immensely appealing Shirley MacLane and Jack Lemmon. I hadn't seen it in many years and had forgotten how bittersweet and brilliant the film is. Wilder was never bad but at his best, as he certainly was when he made The Apartment, there was no writer-director better.
Several other Wilder titles are deservedly listed among the "Greatest" movies of all time, particularly within their genre; Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd., Stalag 17, Some Like It Hot. But I think The Apartment is Wilder's best movie. Sandwiched between those two mega-blockbuster, then record Oscar-winning Best Picture movies Ben-Hur (1959) and West Side Story (1961), it seemed to have fallen between the couch cushions and within a decade or so many forgot The Apartment was the big winner in 1960. I love that movie, too.
post #1402 of 1409 Old 09-12-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There was something of a backlash against The Apartment when it won the Best Picture Oscar over the populist favorite Psycho. Certain people (generally those who hadn't even seen the movie) accused the Academy of being out of touch for that.

The same thing happened to a greater extent when Annie Hall beat out Star Wars. I still occasionally overhear Star Wars fans bitterly grumbling about that.

This is of course entirely ridiculous. Both Annie Hall and The Apartment are great movies that well deserved their acclaim.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #1403 of 1409 Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
...movies I really liked, among them.... The Great Train Robbery (1978).
New BD coming Tuesday.
post #1404 of 1409 Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
There was something of a backlash against The Apartment when it won the Best Picture Oscar over the populist favorite Psycho. Certain people (generally those who hadn't even seen the movie) accused the Academy of being out of touch for that.
Yes, that turned out to be Hitchcock's final shot at winning a Best Director Oscar. Instead, fellow nominee Wilder won his second. Hitch's work on Psycho seemed in many ways like the work of some new mad genius of the cinema and will probably continue to be studied and discussed for as long as movies exist while Wilder's work on The Apartment looked firmly rooted in traditional mainstream movie-making of the 1950s and is rarely mentioned. But it is as smooth and efficient as a Swiss watch, moves brilliantly between comedy, drama, romance, pathos like it had been directed by a man who devoted his life to playing every one of those tunes like a master, which, of course, it had.
post #1405 of 1409 Old 09-14-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Winners...losers....

Still "grumbling" that Warren Beatty won the Best Director Oscar for "Reds" but the film lost Best Picture to (of all things!) "Chariots Of Fire"....also didn't care much for Diane Keaton winning the Best Actress Oscar for "Annie Hall" over Jane Fonda for "Julia"-you may remember that BOTH Vanessa Redgrave and Jason Robards won Oscars for Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor for "Julia" and Jane Fonda the only cast member who didn't win is still curious to me....Others: Liza Minnelli winning the Best Actress Oscar for "Cabaret" over Cicely Tyson for "Sounder" and Diana Ross for "Lady Sings the Blues"..and what about Glenda Jackson winning the Best Actress Oscar for "A Touch of Class" over Streisand for "The Way We Were" (probably the best performance she ever gave after her Oscar win for her film debut "Funny Girl".)
I think a great book to have published (if there is one let me know)...Worst Oscar Winners......

Last edited by aflorida; 09-14-2014 at 07:01 PM.
post #1406 of 1409 Old 09-14-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
Still "grumbling" that Warren Beatty won the Best Director Oscar for "Reds" but the film lost Best Picture to (of all things!) "Chariots Of Fire"....also didn't care much for Diane Keaton winning the Best Actress Oscar for "Annie Hall" over Jane Fonda for "Julia"-you may remember that BOTH Vanessa Redgrave and Jason Robards won Oscars for Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor for "Julia" and Jane Fonda the only cast member who didn't win is still curious to me....Others: Liza Minnelli winning the Best Actress Oscar over Cicely Tyson for "Sounder" and Diana Ross for "Lady Sings the Blues"..and what about Glenda Jackson winning the Best Actress Oscar for "A Touch of Class" over Streisand for "The Way We Were" (probably the best performance she ever gave after her Oscar win for her film debut "Funny Girl".)
I think a great book to have published (if there is one let me know)...Worst Oscar Winners......
A parlor game could be invented for Most Underserved Oscar winners. I try not to think to deeply about that sort of thing, though, for this way lies madness. Instead I tend to categorize such victories as the result of "The performance of a lifetime in the role of a lifetime."
post #1407 of 1409 Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Remembering "Wait Until Dark"

I am old enough to remember seeing "Wait Until Dark" starring Audrey Hepburn back in 1967 in a movie theatre. The gimmick: All the theatre lights were turned off/dimmed during the final 20 minutes to increase the tension of the conclusion of the film. Does anyone remember that? It premiered in NYC at the Radio City Music Hall but I saw it when it came to Brooklyn near my home. And if you didn't jump out of your seat at the finale (I won't give it away what happens to those who never saw this film) ---everyone gasped,jumped up,women in the audience screamed..it is regarded as one of the great finales of all thrillers in movie history. I remember dropping my entire box of popcorn ! Audrey was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance but did not win. I think the winner that year was the "other Hepburn"-Katherine Hepburn for "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner". After this film Audrey Hepburn retired from films for many years and came back in the 70's for "Robin and Marion" starring with Sean Connery.
post #1408 of 1409 Old Today, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Four Sided Triangle (1953), directed by Terence Fisher.

Three childhood friends, reunited as adults, build a matter replicator in an old shed, anticipating the computer startup garage-works of later decades. Romance? With two men and one woman, not all can be made happy. What if they replicated the woman? Even if she consented, wouldn't both versions still love the same man?

This is in no sense an important or exceptional film. I review it only because I thought I knew 1950s science fiction films and had never heard of it until recently.

Its good features:

• The pastoral English village setting is appealing.
  • An early effort from Hammer Films, it is not developed like an SF film at all. The presentation is matter-of-fact, more about the characters than anything else. I always admire the seriousness of Hammer stories, no matter how fantastical the topic.
  • Matter duplicators and transmitters have been important devices in SF since then: philosophical tools for exploring identity and transformations. Is this the first film to use them?
  • In this sort of story we expect the perfectly replicated woman to be actually altered in some sinister way, with an otherworldly stain or shadow on her soul. But no: she really is an exact copy, and that is the problem.
  • Rather good Malcolm Arnold score, better than the film deserves.
  • It's a chance to see Barbara Payton, a minor actress who partied too hard with many famous people, had a scandalous career and a brutally tragic decline and fall. You can read the details in the IMDB bio and wikipedia.
  • At this time she'd gone to England to try to restart her career. As a B-movie actress she does an entirely respectable job in this minor film.

Netflix has the DVD.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1409 of 1409 Old Today, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Reviews , Blu Ray Movies , Aliens Blu Ray , The Godfather Collection The Coppola Restoration Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Aliens by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page