AVS Forum banner

Bourne 4 - The Bourne Legacy

9K views 118 replies 42 participants last post by  Aliens 
#1 ·
#52 ·
This will end up like XXX2, SON OF THE MASK and DUMB AND DUMBERER. A failure. You do not recast the lead.

007 films are special. Bourne is no 007.

#54 ·
Huh? Okay then. Interesting opinion.

#57 ·
I agree with some of the sentiment on this thread. The Bourne films are special and the character has pretty much come full circle so I don't think another Damon/Bourne movie makes sense.

Looking at their filming schedule on IMDB if Damon and Greengrass were to do another Bourne film it can't happen until 2014 or 2015 the earliest.

I am intrigued about this new story ("sidequel") and I like Renner so I am routing for him and Gilroy to succeed!

#59 ·
read the 3 books from the original author. Loved em. read the fourth book (ie the b**(*(tard child) and gee...horrible. If they are gonna make a fourth movie Id like to see a prequel. But still I think the trilogy was perfect as it was. Dont ruin it

#62 ·
I really liked it. Renner always does great work in all his roles. Not sure where this film fits in the Bourne universe. I must admit that I had read the first two Bourne novels more than a decade ago, and saw all three movies, but I don't seem to remember the finer details of the story arc. I'd love to get back into the universe in time for this movie.

#65 ·
Nah, it's seems another Bourne movie without Bourne himself since they couldn't get Damon and Greengrass. That doesn't mean it's bad, but certainly I'm not too excited about this.

I also wonder that with the Prometheus's idea of using known and new characters in a "known" universe, if that "idea" will catches on like "prequels" seemingly did in the last decade or so?

#66 ·
Uhh,.too much of been there, done that type of film rehashing formula intended just for milking more money from the Bourne series. Renner is a good actor but something is missing. I'm not sure he's right for this, IMO he doesn't have that star quality or cool factor yet needed for this role....YMMV. I think he would be great as a side kick or buddy team up with someone more star power.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 /forum/post/21630352

IMO he doesn't have that star quality or cool factor yet needed for this role....YMMV.

To be fair, it's not as if Matt Damon was the epitome of 'cool' when he took on the Bourne role a decade ago. My thinking at the time was 'Cool, the Bourne series is being adapted to the big screen! Hold on, what? Matt Damon is playing Bourne??'' What the...??' I mean, Damon's a fine actor, but he certainly didn't scream 'action star' to me back then.

While it just looks like it's adhering to the Bourne formula and nothing terribly imaginitave, I'm intrigued to see how 'deep the rabbit hole goes' with this whole Blackbriar/Treadstone thing. To me, Jason Bourne's story wrapped up perfectly in Ultimatum, to have bled another movie out of that particular storyline was just screaming 'cash-in' to me. I like that this film is focusing on a new character.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/21621203

Looks great to me, I'm sold!

Norton, Renner, Some original cast?? IM sold

#70 ·
I saw this film yesterday and it was intense. Rachel Weisz is a sweetheart and I loved her in this. I read one criticism of the movie was that it lacked humanity, well that's a crock because Weisz brings humanity in spades.

This is not to say that Jeremy Renner did not provide the requisite action hero scenes but the eventual interaction between these two leads created a story where you cared about the characters which to me is always point number one.

I usually wince when I see that the director is also the screenwriter but this case it worked. I know the film opened to mixed reviews but if you're a fan on the Bourne series this is a must-see. I was pleased with how they dove-tailed the story into the previous movies. I had heard the James Newton Howard soundtrack before the movie and wasn't sure whether it was a good fit or not - but after seeing the film I thought he did an excellent job and there were also a few tip-of-the-hat moments.

I also see it did decently at the box office this past weekend so I'm certain we'll see the sequel to this sooner rather than later. I'll be there.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G  /t/1201923/bourne-4-the-bourne-legacy/60#post_22303352

I saw this film yesterday and it was intense. Rachel Weisz is a sweetheart and I loved her in this. I read one criticism of the movie was that it lacked humanity, well that's a crock because Weisz brings humanity in spades.

This is not to say that Jeremy Renner did not provide the requisite action hero scenes but the eventual interaction between these two leads created a story where you cared about the characters which to me is always point number one.

I usually wince when I see that the director is also the screenwriter but this case it worked. I know the film opened to mixed reviews but if you're a fan on the Bourne series this is a must-see. I was pleased with how they dove-tailed the story into the previous movies. I had heard the James Newton Howard soundtrack before the movie and wasn't sure whether it was a good fit or not - but after seeing the film I thought he did an excellent job and there were also a few tip-of-the-hat moments.

I also see it did decently at the box office this past weekend so I'm certain we'll see the sequel to this sooner rather than later. I'll be there.

After reading this I will have a look when it hits blu ray. I was going to pass but now I will watch it.

#73 ·
Saw this movie last night and enjoyed it but at the same time I'm a little disappointed. Not that I expected it to be, but it just wasn't as good as any of the original three. In addition, it was more of the same in that it offered nothing original. This would be fine if you cared about Renner's character as much as you did Damon's but the script and possibly directing just didn't allow for it. Now that I think about it, I felt more about what the "bad guys" were up against and trying to do than the good guys. I don't feel the opening scene served any purpose other than to offer how it concluded (with the other guy) and it took too long for the story to get moving at the pace of the original three. Part of the reason for this IMO is that they spent too much time on the technical jargon from the "bad guys". It got to be overbearing and was just unnecessary to that degree. Once it did get going the pace was there and remained there and so was the action in typical Bourne fashion. That's both good and bad IMO because just like the first Bourne's the action is good and well done but it's bad because it offers nothing new. Just to start the ball rolling, I say Jason Bourne could whip Renner's character....see, I don't even remember his name. And I was actually caught off guard when it was over. I heard the music and thought "that's a weird place for that music....wait, is it over?....credits" This one just didn't draw you in like the others and didn't wrap it up (either as a continuing story or an ending story) as well as the others.

Having said all of that, I feel the biggest flaw with this is the script. The actors did a great job, whoever made the comment about Weisz' humanity was way off the mark IMO and Renner can definitely carry the role as a continuing story but he really needed a much tighter script. Again, the action was good but it offered nothing new. I really wanted to like this one more both for the Bourne story and for Renner as I felt he was really an up an comer in SWAT. But I would say this is one that you don't necessarily go out of your way to see at the theater. Definitely worth a rental or HBO broadcast.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw  /t/1201923/bourne-4-the-bourne-legacy/0_100#post_21630468

To be fair, it's not as if Matt Damon was the epitome of 'cool' when he took on the Bourne role a decade ago. My thinking at the time was 'Cool, the Bourne series is being adapted to the big screen! Hold on, what? Matt Damon is playing Bourne??'' What the...??' I mean, Damon's a fine actor, but he certainly didn't scream 'action star' to me back then.
I'm going to politely totally disagree with that. IMO the Bourne Identity was "all" matt damon and yes he wasn't cool or suave like Cruise or Brosnan but he has natural charisma and star quality. Renner to me is just trying to hard which is not really a bad thing but he's not a leading man action material "yet" which he could mature with time and I'll repeat that he's great in an ensemble or buddy situation like The town, Fast five, Hurt locker, MI 4, etc.

#75 ·
I watched my BD of The Bourne Identity last night. It was the first Bourne movie and Damon's performance was impressive. I believe that Damon's Jason Bourne had a huge advantage over Renner's Aaron Cross. Bourne was suffering from memory loss, which not only exponentially increased the level of danger he was in but gave him a level of frustration almost beyond measure. In stark contrast, Renner's Cross knew who he was, understood most of what he had to do from the jump, and soon learned the rest of it from his scientist lady friend. He was in a tight spot but Bourne was in a worse one. In short, I think Renner did a great job with a character who is less compelling than Damon was given with Bourne.

#76 ·
It was the thrilling fight sequences in the first 3 Bourne films that set them apart from all the similar action movies, IMO. The only other fight scene I've ever seen where I felt the combatants were physically in danger, when I actually felt their fear and how close they were to literally fighting for their very lives and could see it in their eyes, was in the fifth episode of the vastly underrated 'Charlie Jade' TV series. The show's star Jeffrey "stunt men are for wussies" Pierce actually broke his arm during the filming of that scene and they had to suspend production for awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.