post #91 of 119 Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Thanks for sharing! I've read some spotty reviews on this compared to the other three but was set to blind buy. Do you feel that they've added enough meat to the plot to compensate for the absence of "unknown identity" factor "who is Treadstone" that partially drove the other films?

Although when I saw Bourne 4 in the theater, I didn't like it nearly as well as I did when I saw it again on BD, I liked it well enough the first time to buy it and complete my Bourne movie collection. I now think that Bourne 4, while not quite as good as Bourne 3, is at least as good and perhaps a little better than either Bourne 1 or 2. All the science stuff with blue pills, green pills, and inoculations makes Bourne 4 pretty complex but once you figure it out, it hangs together and is a lot of fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 119 Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Thanks for sharing! I've read some spotty reviews on this compared to the other three but was set to blind buy. Do you feel that they've added enough meat to the plot to compensate for the absence of "unknown identity" factor "who is Treadstone" that partially drove the other films?

I felt it was 1/2 a movie. Maybe as the series progesses the combination will make it feel whole, but I'd wait for it to show in the discount bin.
post #93 of 119 Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

I felt it was 1/2 a movie. Maybe as the series progesses the combination will make it feel whole, but I'd wait for it to show in the discount bin.

I concede that The Bourne Legacy is not as immediately approachable as any of the first three Bourne films were. Still, to my mind at least, Bourne 4, is at least as intriguing as the Matt Damon Bourne movies. It took two viewings to convince me that this was the case but, in the end, it was well worth the time and effort.
post #94 of 119 Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I concede that The Bourne Legacy is not as immediately approachable as any of the first three Bourne films were. Still, to my mind at least, Bourne 4, is at least as intriguing as the Matt Damon Bourne movies. It took two viewings to convince me that this was the case but, in the end, it was well worth the time and effort.

I actually enjoyed it very much, I thought it was very good as the Matt Damon Bourne movies. Tied in very well.

Frank

post #95 of 119 Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I actually enjoyed it very much, I thought it was very good as the Matt Damon Bourne movies. Tied in very well.

I thought Bourne 4 was Jeremy Renner's first role since The Hurt Locker that he could really sink his teeth into. He was largely wasted in both The Avengers and the latest Mission Impossible.
post #96 of 119 Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

I thought Bourne 4 was Jeremy Renner's first role since The Hurt Locker that he could really sink his teeth into. He was largely wasted in both The Avengers and the latest Mission Impossible.

I think you'd agree that Renner was also good in The Town.
post #97 of 119 Old 12-20-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

His character was simply underwritten in MI3... reminded me of Noomi Rapace in Game of Shadows, a potentially very interesting and colorful character underwritten to avoid competing with the leads and overextending the length of the film.

We are crazy busy between now and Christmas so I may just blind buy this with the amazon/best buy stocking stuffer gift cards and settle in for a viewing when the storm has passed.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #98 of 119 Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I think you'd agree that Renner was also good in The Town.

Right you are! I am a big fan of Ben Affleck's directorial skills and I have The Town on BD. Nevertheless, for a reason I can't describe, I overlooked Renner's wonderful performance as the Affleck character's deliciously psychopathic sidekick. I guess I just had a senior moment.smile.gif
post #99 of 119 Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Found a great piece on Grantland today, in which the Grantland staff picked its overlooked movies of the year. Go about half way down in the piece and you will see that one of the writers agreed with those of us who have been saying that The Bourne Legacy has been underrated. Read the whole piece while you are at. I didn't agree with every movie selected but the the whole thing was very entertaining.
post #100 of 119 Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Saw this last night. It was okay. Easily the worst of the Bourne Movies. It shouldve been titled something else and we just conclude that it was related to the Bourne Movies.
post #101 of 119 Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
movie sucked. They made the main character a wimp/idiot who was only a good agent because of drugs.
post #102 of 119 Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
movie sucked. They made the main character a wimp/idiot who was only a good agent because of drugs.
post #103 of 119 Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 295
I finally got around to seeing this and did not care for it. I like Jeremy Renner and Rachael Weisz both a lot but Renner seemed awkward in this role. The entire plot felt like it should have been a small thread in a larger more interesting story. Overall I found this to be a pretty shallow story with mediocre action and poor writing. Maybe I went in expecting too much but it just didn't deliver much satisfaction for me.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #104 of 119 Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

saw it last night, thought the script worked well with the angle they took on it. liked the alaska scenes and the interaction with his contact there.

it tied in well with the other 3 films and i didn't really miss matt damon.

liked it as much as any of the preceeding 3 films

neflixis our nemesis
post #105 of 119 Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

saw it last night, thought the script worked well with the angle they took on it. liked the alaska scenes and the interaction with his contact there.

it tied in well with the other 3 films and i didn't really miss matt damon.

liked it as much as any of the preceeding 3 films
Totally OMG, that part where he swam out of that freezing cold river and stood there with no clothes on in from of that fire was awesome. It totally set the tone for me right there and I was just scratching my head how they did that scene was that him or a stunt person or was it CGI. It looked pretty real walking out of that river. And yup I did not miss Damon one bit which is really strange because before all this there was nothing Renner did that I really liked except for this role in The Town.

I just thought Renner despite with big time pressure to fill Damon's shoes and carry on this franchise from a legion of loyal Damon fan boys he was literally swimming up river against all odds and totally "owned" his performance and just the way he was able to project himself. Very much looking forward to the next chapter and seeing Renner grow and mature with this.
post #106 of 119 Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is this out on disc yet?
post #107 of 119 Old 01-10-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Is this out on disc yet?

You bet it's out on disc. After seeing Bourne 4 in the theater, I have watched it twice more on disc. It got better every time. See zoey167's post #105. I agree in spades with everything he said. Try it, I think you'll like it.
post #108 of 119 Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

i didn't really miss matt damon.

Nor did I

Frank

post #109 of 119 Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 283
Here's an interesting piece of info from Universal chairman Adam Fogelson:

Last summer's Bourne Legacy grossed $276.1 million worldwide without Matt Damon -- good, not great. What's your plan for the Bourne property?
Fogelson: The point of the last movie was to create a universe, a world and characters that give us a lot of freedom and flexibility in how we go forward. Yeah, the movie didn't perform the way the last one did. It also didn't cost what the last one did. It performed more along the lines of how the first one did. I absolutely see us doing more Bourne, 100 percent yes. Matt has talked about the possibility of coming back, and we totally respect that and are excited if and when he wants to have conversations. But I think the last movie gave us a big bunch of options to pursue a next chapter.

My guess is that they'll want to have both Matt Damon *and* Jeremy Renner for the next film, otherwise I think it won't perform really well. Just a guess.

Full interview here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-chairman-wants-fifty-shades-422217

...and also about the Snow White sequel, he confirms that Kristen Stewart is definitely the central character of SW2, and Chris Hemsworth is on board as well. New director though wink.gif

...I truly hope Matt Damon will be back for the next Bourne. The last one felt like a Bourne movie without Bourne. Awkward.
post #110 of 119 Old 02-20-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Here's an interesting piece of info from Universal chairman Adam Fogelson:

Last summer's Bourne Legacy grossed $276.1 million worldwide without Matt Damon -- good, not great. What's your plan for the Bourne property?
Fogelson: The point of the last movie was to create a universe, a world and characters that give us a lot of freedom and flexibility in how we go forward. Yeah, the movie didn't perform the way the last one did. It also didn't cost what the last one did. It performed more along the lines of how the first one did. I absolutely see us doing more Bourne, 100 percent yes. Matt has talked about the possibility of coming back, and we totally respect that and are excited if and when he wants to have conversations. But I think the last movie gave us a big bunch of options to pursue a next chapter.

My guess is that they'll want to have both Matt Damon *and* Jeremy Renner for the next film, otherwise I think it won't perform really well. Just a guess.

Full interview here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-chairman-wants-fifty-shades-422217

...and also about the Snow White sequel, he confirms that Kristen Stewart is definitely the central character of SW2, and Chris Hemsworth is on board as well. New director though wink.gif

...I truly hope Matt Damon will be back for the next Bourne. The last one felt like a Bourne movie without Bourne. Awkward.

I hope Matt does star in the next one with Renner, it will be very good.

Frank

post #111 of 119 Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I didn't think the movie was very good. Matt Damon not being in it didn't matter.
post #112 of 119 Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Prefered this over the previous 2 Bourne movie's.

I'm not a big fan of shaky cam.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #113 of 119 Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I didn't think the movie was very good. Matt Damon not being in it didn't matter.

Maybe but the fact that they keep mentioning his character name in the title means that they know it's more bankable than, say "The Aaron Cross Identity". Come to think of it, the movie title didn't have much to do with the actual plot either... What's this legacy again? rolleyes.gif
To me it's a simple equation, a Bourne movie needs Jason Bourne in it, otherwise it's not a Bourne movie. It's a Treadstone movie, an Aaron Cross adventure, a Blackbriar romcom, whatever, but not a Bourne flick. Besides, the Bourne Legacy novel has of course Jason Bourne as the central character.

@movieswede, I'm not a fan of shaky-cam either, but Matt Damon was more intense than Renner imho.
post #114 of 119 Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe the reason I liked this one so much was because it took place in the country and, except for the “command center,” pretty much eliminated the city. I thought it was a good change of pace from the previous versions, and I also liked Renner. I see no reason Renner and Damon couldn’t be incorporated in the same movie.
post #115 of 119 Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I see no reason Renner and Damon couldn’t be incorporated in the same movie.

The Bourne Crossover?

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #116 of 119 Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
No. The risk of turning into Tango & Cash is too high. frown.gif Or even worse, Brokeback Legacy. eek.gif
post #117 of 119 Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens

I see no reason Renner and Damon couldn’t be incorporated in the same movie.

I've been thinking of this for awhile now. I believe it is better than even money that they do a combined flick. A paycheck is a paycheck.
post #118 of 119 Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

The Bourne Crossover?

As long as it's not The Bourne Crossdresser I'm fine with that wink.gif
post #119 of 119 Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

As long as it's not The Bourne Crossdresser I'm fine with that wink.gif

The prequel...

The Bourne Ultimatum: Get Out of My bed!
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page