Anyone Here Fond of Old TV Shows w/Original Commercials? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm a very nostalgic person who likes the shows I grew up with. Any chance to watch those shows with the original commercials is a huge bonus to me. It's an even bigger bonus if the PSA (public service announcements) and other announcements are of the local variety. For example there was a commercial that ran in the 60's for a bank and it simply said, "Oak Park Federal scoreboard Cubs 3 Giants 2." Since I live in Chicago that has more meaning to me.

What's odd for me is that I don't know anyone on a personal level who likes this stuff. I dragged my wife to Chicago's Museum of Broadcast Communication a few years ago to see some tapes of Bozo's Circus and Ray Rayner & Friends which was a popular afternoon and morning kids show on WGN back then. These shows had the vintage commercials in place just as they were on the day they were broadcast. After a few minutes I could tell that she was bored. I've also shown stuff to co-workers and friends but I neve get the same level of enthusiasm that I have for them. I guess I imagined that most people would like to see the stuff they grew up with in the same format they first saw it in but I guess not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-08-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I enjoy that as well. I think it was TVLand a couple of years ago was running Bewitched as originally broadcast. To me, most importantly, the vintage commercials were in the right place. They didn't cut the ends or beginnings of scenes to squeeze in a few more as is done in syndication. And when there was a cold opening they showed the WHOLE THING, and even the little kickers at the end. The flow of the show was as it should be. I think that changes a LOT in syndication.

I even noticed this with new shows, not too long ago. USA was running the Friday night original espisode of Monk on Saturday moring. One night I fell asleep at the end and thought no big deal, I'll catch it in the monring. So as I'm watching in the morning, I realize that they cut about 30 seconds out of a scene that actually turned out to be pretty important at the end! And that was the NEXT DAY'S broadcast.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 13 Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't have cable but that was very nice of TV Land. I wonder what kind of response they received. The DVD of Naked City has the "brought to you by" at the beginning and at the end and shows those sponsored commercials in place. The station break commercials are in the "extras" section. The Beverly Hillbillies (official release) has the shows sponsors in the extra section also. The commercials are what really take you back and I like them in place better rather than as extras.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-08-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The commercial DVD release of at least some of the original Twilight Zone series contained the original commercials and I was quite happy to see it.
Recently at Sams Club they had a mega-pack of DVDs of old commercials. Once disc had the politically incorrect ones of cigarettes etc. where they were touted as being soothing for a sore throat
Most people including me cut commercials from my old VHS recordings, in hindsight they may have been interesting to watch years later.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
What was the worst was when doctors actually used to endorse cigarettes in the commercials.

My favorites were those PSA's of celebrities saying "I have cancer and am dying - I just have one thing I want to say - don't smoke" - like Yul Brynner and William Talman (you can find them on YouTube).
post #6 of 13 Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

What was the worst was when doctors actually used to endorse cigarettes in the commercials.

My favorites were those PSA's of celebrities saying "I have cancer and am dying - I just have one thing I want to say - don't smoke" - like Yul Brynner and William Talman (you can find them on YouTube).

Wow! That was sad to read. Who was William Talman though?
post #7 of 13 Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Wow! That was sad to read. Who was William Talman though?

Hamilton Burger, the District Attorney that Perry Mason was always up against in court.

Yeah, those PSA's would would give me the creeps. Both those guys died right after that, too.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
"That's a spicy a-meat-a ball-a!"
post #9 of 13 Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Can we turn this into a nosaltogic commercial thread? I have to be thinking, that if I owend a cmpany, ANY company, and wanted to advertise, I would pay Barry Manilow any amount of money he wanted to write and/or sing my jingle:

Come on sing along....
State Farm insurance (Like a good neighbor...)
McDonald's (You deserve a break today....)
Band Aid (I am stuck Band aid brand 'casue band aid stuck on me!)
Dr Pepper (It's the MOST, original softdrink in the whole, wide world)
Pepsi (Join the Pepsi people)
Kentucky Fried Chicken (BEFORE it was KFC) (Grab a bucket of Chicken, finger lickin' good!)

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #10 of 13 Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I have to be thinking, that if I owend a cmpany, ANY company, and wanted to advertise, I would pay Barry Manilow any amount of money he wanted to write and/or sing my jingle:

He can write it (he has a lisp if you listen closely - I wouldn't want him to sing it).

Then you could hire Richard Carpenter to arrange and produce it, and The Manhattan Transfer to sing it.

Of course, if you wanted to make it even better, you could have Donald Fagen and Walter Becker write, arrange, produce and perform the music for it.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I enjoy that as well. I think it was TVLand a couple of years ago was running Bewitched as originally broadcast. To me, most importantly, the vintage commercials were in the right place. They didn't cut the ends or beginnings of scenes to squeeze in a few more as is done in syndication. And when there was a cold opening they showed the WHOLE THING, and even the little kickers at the end. The flow of the show was as it should be. I think that changes a LOT in syndication.

I even noticed this with new shows, not too long ago. USA was running the Friday night original espisode of Monk on Saturday moring. One night I fell asleep at the end and thought no big deal, I'll catch it in the monring. So as I'm watching in the morning, I realize that they cut about 30 seconds out of a scene that actually turned out to be pretty important at the end! And that was the NEXT DAY'S broadcast.

They even do this sh!t with the first run at night. One reason I now only watch TV shows on DVD when the whole season comes out.
Not to mention those stupid ads which actually interfere with the show.

chris.

Knowledge is based on facts which are true until proven false. Truth is based on opinion and can't be proven, or disproven at all...
post #12 of 13 Old 12-10-2009, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Hamilton Burger, the District Attorney that Perry Mason was always up against in court.

Yeah, those PSA's would would give me the creeps. Both those guys died right after that, too.

Funny, now that I have DirecTV after about 5 years of no TV I have developed a habit of watching the old Perry Mason shows. It's been about 40+ years since I watched it as a kid and it is kind of fun to watch them again. There are no commercials in it and that too bad as I could skip past or watch if I wanted to.

I'm really happy to have the ability to record these shows and watch ot not watch.

Brian
post #13 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Liked: 10
I have lots of stuff with original commercials from 50s-80s including Bozo Circus,Ray Rayner Show,Family Classic&More.Email me.cool.gif
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page