post #91 of 342 Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

I dont think tougher was what TD aimed for, but more human. And the living daylights script was written for Moore in the first place.

License to kill was written for him, but still had alot of elements from the Moore era. So the entire movie shifted between brutal and campy from time to time.

So I think we never got to see the full potential of TDs bond.

Agreed. TD was awesome, if not appreciated.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 342 Old 06-08-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Daniel Craig talks Skyfall

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/daniel-craig-talks-skyfall-1

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #93 of 342 Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Latest trailer - International version. Do not watch if you're looking to avoid spoilers, the most detail yet.

post #94 of 342 Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In regards to QOS. I couldnt help but re-rent HitMan and compare the two. I think you got more bang for you buck with Hitman than you did with QOS. In a way thats sad. Maybe cause the Bond Girl was more revealing in Hitman than in QOS? I dont know.
post #95 of 342 Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Cannot wait to see this. Looks good.

Frank

post #96 of 342 Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Cannot wait to see this. Looks good.

Yea, the trailer was kick ass at any rate... - Is that word allowed on this forum? Last time I used it on a (different) forum they #@! it out.
post #97 of 342 Old 08-12-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsm250 View Post

Yea, the trailer was kick ass at any rate... - Is that word allowed on this forum? Last time I used it on a (different) forum they #@! it out.
No it's not. Please delete your post and apologize.

post #98 of 342 Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsm250 View Post

I'm not a mod, but I'm not going to flag your post for it. There does happen to be a film that has been reviewed on this site with that as a title. I would wager that its ok.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #99 of 342 Old 09-22-2012, 12:53 AM

Liked: 22
Will be looking forward to seeing Skyfall when it comes out, though I may end up just waiting for the blu-ray release and just watching it at home. I don't "hate", per se, DC as James Bond, but it's taking some getting used to.

I grew up in the 1980's and I remember seeing some Roger Moore Bond films on TV and he is who I first saw as Bond. But I wasn't really big into the series until I got into college. Opening night at college they showed Tomorrow Never Dies on a screen out on the campus green as part of the "get to know your freshmen brethen" night. So I have some other reasons why I liked that movie. wink.gif

But in college I really played the N64 game "Goldeneye" and watched the movie shortly thereafter. I loved it. A friend down the hall had a complete collection of the Bond movies on VHS so over a long week/weekend I watched them all in order. It was great. I fell in love with the series at that point and have been in love with it ever since.

For some reason, there's just a formulaic pattern to Bond movies that I liked and pretty much came to expect. Outlandish plot devices, the opening introduction, the credit scroll with the title music and silloutted naked women, the bond girl, the henchman, the quips and gadgets, and the out of this world conclusion. Yes, some of the movies were really, REALLY bad and even made me cringe a bit. (Moonraker, Diamonds Are Forever, A View To A Kill are three that instantly come to mind). But most of the movies were really great films.

I didn't get a chance to read the actual books until many years later and was kind of stunned at how they were really very different from the movies based upon them. They were okay (the novels), but wasn't what I was expecting. I guess it kind of shows that the James Bond films have deviated from the books for so long and in so many ways that they are two distinctly different things, and in my opinion, they really should stay that way.

I don't want the Bond movies to go back to the hideous Roger Moore style bad jokes/puns and fully unbelievable plot devices, but at the same time I also don't want them to become just another Bourne movie. If I want to watch a Bourne movie, I'll go watch one of those. When I want to watch a James Bond movie, I am expecting some fun action scenes, beautiful women, and the formula that I have really come to expect.

The DC movies, thus far, aren't bad in any way whatsoever. They are still keeping in much of the "formula" for the Bond series of film (I still am in love with Eva Green from CR), but have been able to move beyond the horrible films that ended Brosnan's career as James Bond.

Each of the Brosnan era films just seemed to get worse and worse, and in the last couple, were just beyond horrible. Goldeneye was great as it came out after a long hiatus and introduced a post cold-war era Bond. I enjoyed all aspects of that movie and liked how Brosnan seemed to combine the good aspects of all prior Bond actors before him. The story was also very well done and nothing stood out to me as "oh good god that is not possible." TND did seem to suffer a bit in terms of the qualtiy, but not by a whole lot. I really didn't like the Jackie Chan style aspect of the film as again, if I wanted to watch a kung-fu movie I'd go and do that. It seemed a bit "forced" to me. But I liked the plot device of it and the way the story was told.

The World Is Not Enough has soooooooooooo much potential and could have really been a great film if they didn't severely screw it up with some of the casting and the science in it. I am a man of science. I know a great deal about nuclear reactors, nuclear material, chemistry, physics, etc. So much of the movie just made me cringe horribly with regards to the nuclear material aspect of it. Denise Richards as a nuclear scientist COMPLETELY ruined the movie above anything else. That was completely not believable in any way. Lines referring to the nuclear "pit" where they are removing the tritium cores being "safe" is laughable. Sure, there isn't also lethal levels of gamma rays floating around here so you're safe with all the tritium taking out. Just ignore the plutonium. Another disgustingly bad part is when Renard brings the half core of plutonium into the tower and says "touch it. touch your destiny." A lump of plutonium that big would be so unbeliveably hot from the natural radioactive decay of it that both Renards and her hand would have burned severely. The final cap of the film was when they had a final battle inside a RUNNING NUCLEAR REACTOR CORE!!!!!!! The whole "It's safe as long as the coolant doesn't blow" line just had me shaking my head. That, and the henchman just running around with the plutonium in their hands while the core is running to power the sub. I have just not been able to watch that in any way. Yes, many Bond plot devices are laughably impossible (the gravity device in Moonraker), but it doesn't play into so much of the movie. TWINE just went too far. Such a shame as it could have been a really great movie if a different actress was cast and if they pulled out the stupid nuclear "laughers."

I'd discuss Die Another Day, but that is perhaps the very worst movie in the history of James Bond. It's battling A View To A Kill for the title of most horrific movie. (AVTAK just was bad due to the script, the character of MayDay, and the fact that Roger Moore looked like he needed Geritol and a Wheelchair in each scene). There is nothing redeeming about DAD at all. Not even the Bond girl (Halle Berry) as she just seemed to be forced into the movie so they could say "Hey, we got a widely known hot chick in here." I liked the use of either minimally known, or really unknown hot chicks as the Bond Girls.

So I'll likely watch Skyfall with a somewhat open mind as I know that it is a James Bond movie and will likely have a bit of the formula that I've come to know and love, and at the same time know that it won't be a self-deprecating Bond movie like most Roger Moore era Bond movies or the last couple Brosnan movies.
post #100 of 342 Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Listen to Adele’s ‘Skyfall’ Theme in Full

http://www.slashfilm.com/listen-to-adeles-skyfall-theme-in-full/
post #101 of 342 Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Listen to Adele’s ‘Skyfall’ Theme in Full
http://www.slashfilm.com/listen-to-adeles-skyfall-theme-in-full/

Wow, one of the lamest Bond themes ever, IMO. Boring, repetitive, uninspiring. Won't be humming this one after leaving the theater. Not Adele's fault; she just has very little to work with here.
post #102 of 342 Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

When I first heard Sheryl Crow in Tomorrow Never Dies I hated it. I was shocked when it was nominated for a Grammy and Golden Globe. But over time it's grown on me.

I didn't know anything about Adele and on first listening thought she was European because of the way she sounds her words while singing, then I Googled her and found out she is English.

The theme song has a jazzy sophistication which would probably be more at home on an album than as a Bond movie intro - but like with Crow I'm sure it will grow on me.

post #103 of 342 Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I haven't heard it yet and was a little disappointed for selfish reasons when I heard she was doing the theme song. But I get it given her nationality. I'm simply not an Adele fan and think she's a little overrated at least up to this point. Talented but just not an appeal to me. Anyway, is it possible that the song might gain something with a Bond style filming and graphics as with most other Bond intros?
post #104 of 342 Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Wow, one of the lamest Bond themes ever, IMO. Boring, repetitive, uninspiring. Won't be humming this one after leaving the theater. Not Adele's fault; she just has very little to work with here.
You know, I didn't want to be a nagger but now that you brought it up I didn't really like it either. It doesn't have that 007 sweeping romantic awesomeness like Nobody does it better by carly simon or For your eyes only by Sheena eason or the excitement of A View to a Kill by Duran duran. It's too bad really because Adele's voice technically is better than both carly simon and sheena easton.

They be best to use any of her 3 best songs like Someone like you, set fire to the rain, or Rolling in the deep as 007 theme song. It could have fit, esp Set fire to the rain which coincides with Skyfall
post #105 of 342 Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

Not exactly one of the standard Bond "puns", but my favourite line ever by Bond is when he and Goldfinger are skeet shooting. After Goldfinger blasts one of the clay pigeons out of the air, Bond says "Looks terribly difficult".

...and then casually blasts the next one from his hip, saying, "Why no it isn't, is it?"

Isn't that the same scene where Bond fires and apparently misses the pigeon and when the bad guy tells him he missed, Bond says "did I?" and a henchmen sniper falls dead out of tree? If so, that's one of my favorite moments.

As much grief as Dalton gets, I loved the truck chase in "License to Kill". I also think Moore's "View to a Kill" has the best opening theme song.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #106 of 342 Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally listened to Skyfall over the weekend and while better than I expected, I can't say I'm feeling it. I don't know if it's Adele, the lyrics or what. It's kind of a "wanna be" sound to me or something. They're trying to give it that old Bond style/feel in a modernized way but it feels like it's trying too hard to be a Bond song or something. Again, on the big screen with opening credits maybe it will have a different effect but it's hard for me to get there now.
post #107 of 342 Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 322
The production and "heart" of the new Skyfall theme are in the right place, trying to sound classic. The problem for me is that the melody is not particularly strong and it is not helped by Adele's performance. She has a dour, somewhat depressed delivery and a held-back, foot-on-the-brakes sense of pace. The song seems like it might be building to something, but never really takes off or gets better, just ending. Which is weird because Adele has the pipes to have made it soar at some point. Not terrible, but not great.

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #108 of 342 Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

The production and "heart" of the new Skyfall theme are in the right place, trying to sound classic. The problem for me is that the melody is not particularly strong and it is not helped by Adele's performance. She has a dour, somewhat depressed delivery and a held-back, foot-on-the-brakes sense of pace. The song seems like it might be building to something, but never really takes off or gets better, just ending. Which is weird because Adele has the pipes to have made it soar at some point. Not terrible, but not great.

Yeah, I agree. It just never quite gets there IMO. However, still gonna go see it! Thinking about springing for the lounge seats for this one too!
post #109 of 342 Old 10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it too soon to get excited?
post #110 of 342 Old 10-25-2012, 09:32 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Is it too soon to get excited?

I'm looking forward in watching this one.

Frank

post #111 of 342 Old 10-26-2012, 04:09 PM

aintitcool.com review is pretty much spot on. but don't read it before you see the movie.
lower yer expectations
post #112 of 342 Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

The problem for me with most Bond theme songs is that they try to shohorn the title into the song. On top of that, the titles for most Bond movies are incredibly bizarre, which makes it all the more difficult to shoehorn in.

That being said, of the recent films I absolutely loved Tina Turner's "Goldeneye", as well as Shirley Manson's "The World is Not Enough".

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #113 of 342 Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Skyfall: World Royal Premiere.

http://www.totalfilm.com/video/

post #114 of 342 Old 10-28-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

The problem for me with most Bond theme songs is that they try to shohorn the title into the song.
Some of my favourite Bond music are those where they've worked the "Bond Theme" into the melody, as in "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball", for example. It indelibly identifies them as Bond pieces.
post #115 of 342 Old 10-28-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

+1

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #116 of 342 Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

Some of my favourite Bond music are those where they've worked the "Bond Theme" into the melody, as in "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball", for example. It indelibly identifies them as Bond pieces.

+1. Nobody has quite nailed a Bond theme song like Welsh singer Shirley Bassey did with "Goldfinger," and she did it so well the producers chose her to sing two more Bond theme songs ("Diamonds Are Forever" and "Moonraker" for the curious). For me, it's probably tied with "Nobody Does It Better" (as Zoey67 mentions) for my favorite Bond theme song as a Bond theme song. I mean, I don't sit around the house listening to "Goldfinger" as listening music, but it works so well as a movie theme song, and Bassey's rendition is so dramatic and, well, cinematic. "Nobody Does It Better" works as both a Bond theme song and as a great pop tune, one that never gets old to me. Part of that may have something to do with my 30-something year old crush on Carly Simon, but I digress. It's still a great song.

FWIW, I kind of like Adele's recording of the new theme song. It's no "Goldfinger" or "NBDIB," but it's good.
post #117 of 342 Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
There hasn't been a memorable Bond theme since Goldeneye by Tina Turner IMO. 'Tomorrow' by K.D Lang for the ending credits is a good song and should have been used at the beginning instead of Sheryl Crow's song. None of the Bond songs since are especially noteworthy, talking about 'the world is not enough' and 'Die another day'. 'You know my name' is a decent song on its own but doesn't have that distinct sound that identifies it as a Bond song. Alicia Key's theme for Quantum of Solace sucked, not only were the words and theme completely forgettable, but she didn't seem to 'jell' with the male vocalist, something was just off. Skyfall is pretty forgettable too....I have to echo the comments above about Shirley Bassey, no-one sang a theme like her. Her most famous is Goldfinger but I actually prefer Moonraker, a beautiful and enchanting piece of music.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #118 of 342 Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

The problem for me with most Bond theme songs is that they try to shohorn the title into the song. On top of that, the titles for most Bond movies are incredibly bizarre, which makes it all the more difficult to shoehorn in.
That being said, of the recent films I absolutely loved Tina Turner's "Goldeneye", as well as Shirley Manson's "The World is Not Enough".

In many cases it works fine( most of the themes from the classic Connery/Moore era), then there's cringeworthy songs like Die another day.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #119 of 342 Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

There hasn't been a memorable Bond theme since Goldeneye by Tina Turner IMO. 'Tomorrow' by K.D Lang for the ending credits is a good song and should have been used at the beginning instead of Sheryl Crow's song. None of the Bond songs since are especially noteworthy, talking about 'the world is not enough' and 'Die another day'. 'You know my name' is a decent song on its own but doesn't have that distinct sound that identifies it as a Bond song. Alicia Key's theme for Quantum of Solace sucked, not only were the words and theme completely forgettable, but she didn't seem to 'jell' with the male vocalist, something was just off. Skyfall is pretty forgettable too....I have to echo the comments above about Shirley Bassey, no-one sang a theme like her. Her most famous is Goldfinger but I actually prefer Moonraker, a beautiful and enchanting piece of music.

Im still partial to McCartney's Live And Let Die

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #120 of 342 Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Early reviews seem to be pretty good. The anticipation is building.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page