Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

+1...to both Closet Geek's comment and the hope that cutoff are part of Pepper's wardrobe in IM3.

On one condition......that Pepper doesn't "convince" Stark to relax and let his hair down to the point where he's wearing cutoff's too. I'm drawing the line there, I don't care if it's filmed in holographic hypersensory vision with implanted synaptic sound!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My one issue with the storyline (given that it follows its own rules, which allows me to accept all the fantastical elements) was this:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Hulk was built-up throughout the first half of the movie as completely out-of-control, so that others like BW were terrified of him. And indeed, he tried to kill her. But as soon as they needed to "assemble" for the NYC battle, Hulk became a team player. How did that happen?

If anyone can explain it, I'd appreciate it.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I think she's beautiful and exactly my type, go figure.

Yeah, I like that kind of tall, slender, leggy figure. I have read that she rates very high on the "I'm a snob who considers fans well beneath me" meter, though.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

seen the movie, this should be a monster BD. It will probably be out for the holidays so I'll put it on the list for Santa.. Whats the best selling BD so far? Avatar? I guess this one is going to be a big seller..

http://www.hd-report.com/2011/08/09/...s-of-all-time/

That list is from 2011 but I guess not much has changed since then. Yet. I'm suprised that The Hangover is #4 btw. It was funny but it's overrated./OT
Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by putox1051 View Post

I'm pretty sure it was this, referenced to his often repeated phrase in the comics

It was definitely the latter.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

My take on it is two-fold. One, Banner was basically afraid of himself and his ability to control the Hulk for a number of reasons, in large part his anger at himself. But he later found acceptance, purpose and reason to redirect that anger elsewhere, thus controlling it. As far as trying to kill BW, he felt she set him up.

According to an interview bit w/ Ruffalo I saw last week, he stated that Whedon had to cut quite a bit out of the scene w/ Banner & Harry Dean Stanton's character. Ruffalo was bummed that their "rather beautiful scene" (his words) got all but omitted in the final cut. I wonder if Banner got some sage advice from that old security guard that helped him "focus" the rage.

We should know when AVENGERS hits BLuRay, as I had heard/read Whedon plans on including every deleted scene on the disc.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
OK smart guys. One strange plot point I couldn't explain away was....
Spoiler  
how could "possessed" Hawkeye and his group of bad guys approach SHIELD's flying fortress undetected? They flew in up close, and he had plenty of time to target their engines with his special arrows. No alarm was raised until he attacked. That made no sense to me. They should've known he was coming miles before he closed in.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Spoiler  
how could "possessed" Hawkeye and his group of bad guys approach SHIELD's flying fortress undetected? They flew in up close, and he had plenty of time to target their engines with his special arrows. No alarm was raised until he attacked. That made no sense to me. They should've known he was coming miles before he closed in.

Ok, not to ruin the high, but I did question this as well. I contented myself in saying that they were jamming the signal. Perhaps Loki's staff did it. While I'm at it, didn't Fury get shot at the beginning? That kind of became a lost detail if in fact he did.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spoiler  

I was thinking the same thing at the time. Seemed like a big plot hole.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Sorry about my ignorance. but I'm wondering if anyone can explain what "the IMAX Experience" is? There is a multiplex about 30 miles away thats showing The Avengers in 2D, 3D, and the forementioned "imax experience". Only they don't have an IMAX theater unless they built one especially for this film. So what gives? Is the label sorta like butter flavored popcorn, where the "flavor" part means "no actual butter"? And of the three formats, is there any consensus on which to see? Haven't seen a 3D yet, but from reading the comments here it seems it doesn't add that much to this film and may actually detract from it. Any final preference from anyone? Oh, I'm planning on seeing it today, so be quick...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

5 Hidden Reasons Behind 'Avengers' Record-Shattering Success

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-whedon-321760

Good article with some reassuring news at the end:

Now, with IronMan3 weeks away from production, Marvel has said it will make sequels to Thor and Captain America before it returns to Avengers, though Disney CEO Bob Iger announced May 8 that a sequel is already in the works. Plus, Marvel has a second wave of superheroes in development, including Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Runaways and Ant-Man. If those movies come together, Avengers 2 could feature a virtual town hall of heroes. Is a $300 million opening possible?

I hope Warner Bros is inspired by these numbers to do something with its superhero franchises. Doesn't have to be perfect, just make an attempt Warners, make an attempt.

Sanjay
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Spoiler  
I thought I remember him pulling that round out of his vest?

Missed it if that's the case. Didn't really matter but just something I noticed. Or didn't notice. Or whatever.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Missed it if that's the case. Didn't really matter but just something I noticed. Or didn't notice. Or whatever.

I think this is definitely a film that benefits from a 2nd viewing. While it did not feel cluttered, there is a lot happening.

My 2nd viewing is happening this Friday afternoon after work. A few things to watch for it seems....

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Sorry about my ignorance. but I'm wondering if anyone can explain what "the IMAX Experience" is? There is a multiplex about 30 miles away thats showing The Avengers in 2D, 3D, and the forementioned "imax experience". Only they don't have an IMAX theater unless they built one especially for this film. So what gives? Is the label sorta like butter flavored popcorn, where the "flavor" part means "no actual butter"? And of the three formats, is there any consensus on which to see? Haven't seen a 3D yet, but from reading the comments here it seems it doesn't add that much to this film and may actually detract from it. Any final preference from anyone? Oh, I'm planning on seeing it today, so be quick...

You might get a few different responses here but my experience was that IMAX 3D is the way to go. The problem with saying that is mostly everyone is going to have a different perspective of their experience. The other problem is that I'm not sure all IMAX theaters are created equal. Some have said there was a problem with the line of sight. Others, the sound. I personally do not have a complaint of any kind and I scrutinize theaters pretty harshly. Best bet is to try to connect with someone locally and get the lowdown, especially for a 30 mile hike.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I think this is definitely a film that benefits from a 2nd viewing. While it did not feel cluttered, there is a lot happening.

My 2nd viewing is happening this Friday afternoon after work. A few things to watch for it seems....

Gotta see it again? Oh darn.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Any final preference from anyone?

Saw it in IMAX 3D and it was spectacular. The 3D looked natural, the surround sound was well done, and the larger screen was in keeping with epic scope of the film. So that would be my recommendation. Sit far enough back so that your eyes line up roughly with the middle of the screen.

Sanjay
Old 05-09-2012, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Spoiler  

Spoiler  

This is how I worked it in my mind, seen it twice now..... No one is supposed to know were the helocarrier, since it is cloaked, and in the scene were they are talking to the bridge saying they were there for an arms shipment drop off, you see the picture of Loki's staff on the screen of the VTOL aircraft. So I would surmise that the staff was used as a tracking device for Hawkeye. Also Hawkeye is smart as a whip not just good with a bow and arrow, and prob found out there was to be an actual arms shipment to be delivered at that time, and hijacked it. Atleast that is how I filled that hole in my mind.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Should cross $700 million by the end of its first week and have long legs (considering terrific word of mouth).

Well that was quicker than I expected: crossed $702 million as of Monday the 7th (two days ago).

Sanjay
Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's been discussion for years about IMAX theaters vs. the so-called "Liemax" theaters. IMAX used to mean only the theaters with the huge screens that are several stores tall, accompanied by a huge sound system. But the "brand name" has been diluted:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/view...p?t=95110&f=11
Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Please don't reply to posts in spoiler tags with answers that that are spoilers to some and not enclose your reply in spoiler tags. Thanks.

Or without the double negative. Please enclose posts in spoiler tags that replies to posts in spoiler tags if your reply can be a spoiler to some. When in doubt, enclose text in spoiler tags.
larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Please don't reply to posts in spoiler tags with answers that that are spoilers to some and not enclose your reply in spoiler tags. Thanks.

larry

Sorry try to edit it once, I saw I forgot to put in a spoiler tag. You can't edit your own posts?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Good article with some reassuring news at the end:

Now, with IronMan3 weeks away from production, Marvel has said it will make sequels to Thor and Captain America before it returns to Avengers, though Disney CEO Bob Iger announced May 8 that a sequel is already in the works. Plus, Marvel has a second wave of superheroes in development, including Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Runaways and Ant-Man. If those movies come together, Avengers 2 could feature a virtual town hall of heroes. Is a $300 million opening possible?

I hope Warner Bros is inspired by these numbers to do something with its superhero franchises. Doesn't have to be perfect, just make an attempt Warners, make an attempt.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want Warners to do some half-assed job that amounts to nothing more than a quick money grab. It would be a shame if the Warner suits took the all-too-prevalent "let's churn out 'product'" attitude without someone in charge who really understands and appreciates the characters and has a clear vision of what he wants to do with them.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyKM72 View Post

Sorry try to edit it once, I saw I forgot to put in a spoiler tag. You can't edit your own posts?

I fixed it. You were either in the middle of editing or something when I deleted the post.

To all: Spoiler posts are deleted. It's not like the rules have changed recently...

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 05-09-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
So LieMax is the "Imax Experience?" Thanks for the clarification.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So LieMax is the "Imax Experience?" Thanks for the clarification.

The bottom line is that if your local theater is promoting an "Imax theater" built in the last few years, it isn't real IMAX.

Here's a size comparison between true 70 mm IMAX and Liemax:

Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

On the other hand, I wouldn't want Warners to do some half-assed job that amounts to nothing more than a quick money grab. It would be a shame if the Warner suits took the all-too-prevalent "let's churn out 'product'" attitude without someone in charge who really understands and appreciates the characters and has a clear vision of what he wants to do with them.

Warner Bros. are the KING OF THE MONEY GRAB studios. To think otherwise is foolish.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Someone asked what the Hulk said after his interaction with Loki.

I believe.

Hm. Didn't sound like that to me. Sounded pretty clear that he said which to me seems like something he would say after what happened. Makes more sense to me.

And going back I now see this has already been answered. lol.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Warner Bros. are the KING OF THE MONEY GRAB studios. To think otherwise is foolish.

I have said the same thing for years....penny wise, pound foolish.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Just realized how I blindly replied to some of the "spoiler" questions and I apologize if I ruined it for anyone. Won't happen again.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

The bottom line is that if your local theater is promoting an "Imax theater" built in the last few years, it isn't real IMAX.

Here's a size comparison between true 70 mm IMAX and Liemax:

The size of a digital IMAX screen depends on the theater. For example the new Moore Warren IMAX in Moore, OK, and its twin, the Witchita Warren IMAX in Witchita, KS have screens that are 101 feet wide. I have already seen a couple of films in the Moore Warren IMAX and can attest that it is humongous. They are claimed to be the largest digital IMAX screens in the world.

I saw the 2D version of The Avengers today and loved it. I decided against seeing it in 3D at the Moore Warren IMAX because I simply hate post-production 3D. Although I saw the film at the 10:30 AM shown in a neighborhood cineplex the theater was more than half full. It looked and sounded great.