Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

Even though you didn't like Firefly

OK, I'm sorry...I wasn't clear.
Firefly/Serenity was "OK" in my book, but I expected JW to move "up the ladder."
This is a guy with boatloads of talent, and I expected him to EXCEED Buffy/Angel with his next project.....

Quote:

you gotta admit it's interesting how beloved yet another Whedon series was and how dedicated and hardcore its fans were for similar reasons to his other series. He always finds a hardcore loyal group of fans who really bond with his series; Not all of them previous fans either. Whedon's work really resonates with people, because he loves telling great character stories, blends genres so well, writes great witty dialogue/banter....blends comedy, drama, action, horror, etc all so well and always has some charm and heart somewhere.

I absolutely, positively admire his ability to develop his fan base (kinda reminds me of what Kevin Smith has done).
AND I respect his achievement...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1397 Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

OK, I'm sorry...I wasn't clear.
Firefly/Serenity was "OK" in my book, but I expected JW to move "up the ladder."
This is a guy with boatloads of talent, and I expected him to EXCEED Buffy/Angel with his next project.....

Well, sadly, with only around 14 episodes it didn't have much of a chance to exceed either one. I wouldn't expect any show to do that with merely one season. Joss' shows generally become far greater after the first seasons 1 & 2 and I have no doubt season 2 and 3 of Firefly, had it gone on that long, would have become richer, deeper and much greater of a series (though I wouldn't say it'd have become greater than Buffy or Angel in my eyes, but I believe it would have become an even greater series than season 1). Unfortunately, it never got that chance and thanks Fox for airing the episodes out of order and airing the pilot episode DEAD Last!

Quote:

I absolutely, positively admire his ability to develop his fan base (kinda reminds me of what Kevin Smith has done).
AND I respect his achievement...

Indeed!
post #1263 of 1397 Old 05-24-2012, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great movie currently watching it
post #1264 of 1397 Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
^^^^^turn off your phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #1265 of 1397 Old 05-24-2012, 04:47 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

^^^^^turn off your phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All finished great movie and yeah I should have turnd
My
Phone off but currently waiting for a phone call from my girl friend her sister had a beauitfule baby girl tonight
post #1266 of 1397 Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:

Well, sadly, with only around 14 episodes it didn't have much of a chance to exceed either one. I wouldn't expect any show to do that with merely one season. Joss' shows generally become far greater after the first seasons 1 & 2 and I have no doubt season 2 and 3 of Firefly, had it gone on that long, would have become richer, deeper and much greater of a series (though I wouldn't say it'd have become greater than Buffy or Angel in my eyes, but I believe it would have become an even greater series than season 1). Unfortunately, it never got that chance and thanks Fox for airing the episodes out of order and airing the pilot episode DEAD Last!

+1! Firefly's cancellation made me sick, sick, sick. As one expects from any Whedon venture, it was brilliantly written and, like Buffy before it, had a deep ensemble cast.

Speaking of the Firefly ensemble, one of the best Castle episodes of the season guest starred Adam Baldwin as a brutal but effective NYPD gang cop. Nathan Fillion's Castle rode along with the Baldwin character and feared for his life every foot of the way. We never know when another member of The Joss Whedon Stock Company will show up, do we?
post #1267 of 1397 Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Firefly was a "perfect" TV show, IMHO. Had something for everyone, yet it all tied together so imaginatively. Even my mother-in-law, who has no interest in science fiction or westerns, loved it. In fact, I've only known one person who didn't love it, and he's already made his opinion known on these pages.
post #1268 of 1397 Old 05-24-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

We never know when another member of The Joss Whedon Stock Company will show up, do we?

They might even pop up during the credits

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #1269 of 1397 Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Firefly was a "perfect" TV show, IMHO. Had something for everyone, yet it all tied together so imaginatively. Even my mother-in-law, who has no interest in science fiction or westerns, loved it. In fact, I've only known one person who didn't love it, and he's already made his opinion known on these pages.

I didn't love it. I thought it was only OK. And I am a big fan of Sci-Fi in general. In terms of Space-Westerns, I had much more fun with Cowboy Bebop.

That all being said, I LOVED The Avengers and have great respect for JW. I can't wait for the Blu-ray.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #1270 of 1397 Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Not sure how Firefly became a topic here, but let me say thanks to AVS for bringing the show to my attention three years ago. My wife and I rarely watch TV anymore, but I got the Blus on your collective recommendations and we absolutely LOVED the show. It is in my top 5 all-time, and I wish it lasted longer (would've helped if we watched it live, huh?).

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #1271 of 1397 Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Not sure how Firefly became a topic here, but let me say thanks to AVS for bringing the show to my attention three years ago. My wife and I rarely watch TV anymore, but I got the Blus on your collective recommendations and we absolutely LOVED the show. It is in my top 5 all-time, and I wish it lasted longer (would've helped if we watched it live, huh?).

Probably because it, along with the Avengers is also made by Joss Whedon. That's just an assumption though.

And honestly, it wouldn't have helped if you watched it live unless you're one of the very few who have a Nielson's box. They track a small group of people and estimate ratings based on those few. It's absolutely retarded. A very flawed system for sure.
post #1272 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

I strongly doubt it will beat THE DARK KNIGHT (USA BO) let alone TITANIC

2 Titanic Par. $658,160,411
3 The Dark Knight WB $533,345,358

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

Just curious what do you think now?

Two or three more days and it surpasses The Dark Knight Domestically and Deathly Hallows Part II worldwide for #3 of all time. Fastest (Domestically) to $100, $150, $200, $250, $300, $350, $400, $450 and now $500 million. Fastest to $500 by 9 days vs Avatar and 22 days faster than The Dark Knight. Should be the fastest to $550 as well. Here's to hoping it'll sink Titanic next (though the re-release does make that task more difficult).

Go ahead and make down this prediction of mine. The Avengers will surpass Titanic domestically. Probably won't top Avatar in the US, but I do think it has a chance.
post #1273 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

Just curious what do you think now?

Two or three more days and it surpasses The Dark Knight Domestically and Deathly Hallows Part II worldwide for #3 of all time. Fastest (Domestically) to $100, $150, $200, $250, $300, $350, $400, $450 and now $500 million. Fastest to $500 by 9 days vs Avatar and 22 days faster than The Dark Knight. Should be the fastest to $550 as well. Here's to hoping it'll sink Titanic next (though the re-release does make that task more difficult).

Go ahead and make down this prediction of mine. The Avengers will surpass Titanic domestically. Probably won't top Avatar in the US, but I do think it has a chance.

Why is "sinking Titanic" so important to you (or anyone else for that matter)?
post #1274 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, just wanted to mention that my girlfriend went to see The Avengers for the third time over the weekend because....her mom wanted to see it! Might have to get married again guys! Just sayin!
post #1275 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Its a question to ponder. And the ultimate answer is it doesn't matter. But after Firefly, Serenity, the debacle of Wonder Woman, Dollhouse...you have to forgive a certain euphoria among us longtime Whedon fans at finally seeing a popular triumph...and we're feeling greedy But its time to take a deep breath and be happy with what we got...all I ever wanted was for him to make enough money to do whatever he wanted, and I think he has acheived that, at least for a while.

post #1276 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Its a question to ponder. And the ultimate answer is it doesn't matter. But after Firefly, Serenity, the debacle of Wonder Woman, Dollhouse...you have to forgive a certain euphoria among us longtime Whedon fans at finally seeing a popular triumph...and we're feeling greedy But its time to take a deep breath and be happy with what we got...all I ever wanted was for him to make enough money to do whatever he wanted, and I think he has acheived that, at least for a while.

Yep those of us who have always loved Joss Whedon's work, including the underappreciated Firefly, Serenity, and Dollhouse, it's hard not to gloat over the grand slam Whedon hit with The Avengers. As for Titanic, I love it too but recognize that there is a lot of anti James Cameron sentiment out there. I don't get it but there it is.
post #1277 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep those of us who have always loved Joss Whedon's work, including the underappreciated Firefly, Serenity, and Dollhouse, it's hard not to gloat over the grand slam Whedon hit with The Avengers. As for Titanic, I love it too but recognize that there is a lot of anti James Cameron sentiment out there. I don't get it but there it is.

A lot of it is due to his success. I'm already bracing myself for the inevitable backlash that the success of The Avengers will probably cause for Joss.

Another thing about ticket sales and catching the Titanic...you have to remember its a drastically different economy now. BO totals are down over 30% from last year, and I read somewheres MIB 3 is the fifth major studio release of the year to underperform. Its in that climate that The Avengers acheived what it has,,, I think Titanic was driven by repeated viewings, I remember stories of teenage girls reportedly seeing it 10 or 20 times. Not too many could do that now...

post #1278 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Quote:

Same sentiment here. Heck, I'm expecting Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing" to pass the 1 million mark!

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1279 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another thing about ticket sales and catching the Titanic...you have to remember its a drastically different economy now. BO totals are down over 30% from last year, and I read somewheres MIB 3 is the fifth major studio release of the year to underperform. Its in that climate that The Avengers acheived what it has,,, I think Titanic was driven by repeated viewings, I remember stories of teenage girls reportedly seeing it 10 or 20 times. Not too many could do that now...

I'm not sure I'm totally on board with this statement. While economic times are certainly different I'm not sure there's much impact this year. In fact, I believe people are wanting to get out to the theater. The underperforming releases are the result of weak to poor films. Plenty of people are going to see the Avengers multiple times, which IMO is the even bigger story. You would expect repeat viewership with the likes of Titanic, not The Avengers. But it's no doubt happening. Since Ghost Protocol, Hollywood and movie theaters alike have enjoyed a renewed buzz but the remaining releases this summer (Spidey, Prometheus, TDKR) along with a few others are really going to tell the story. If they are strong films then people will go in droves. There are high expectations for Skyfall on the backend of the year as well.
post #1280 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't say it's important, but I'd really like to see it happen (and I liked Titanic, btw). I'm wanting to shoot films. Joss Whedon is my writing/filmmaking idol and his work are the inspirations that rekindled my desire to write and get back into wanting to shoot films. Is that explanation enough? Lol. I felt his work was simply magnificent and while he and his work was greatly loved and appreciated by many on the net I felt it was such a shame to see the treatment he has gotten by Networks and that his work wasn't bigger and was only cult status. I've been telling people for awhile if he got a project like this it'd be amazing and of the biggest films ever. For me, the bigger the better, but it's not that important. #3 is awesome too.

I love Cameron's work, btw, so nothing against him. I'm plenty happy if Whedon's film is at #3; That's amazing, but I think it'd be an even greater feat if his film topped a long time reigning film like Titanic. That's all.
post #1281 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

BO totals are down over 30% from last year, and I read somewheres MIB 3 is the fifth major studio release of the year to underperform.

Hmmm. Everything I've read is different from what you wrote. Box Office MOJO shows a 13.6% increase from last year at this time.
post #1282 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

hmmm. Everything i've read is different from what you wrote. Box office mojo shows a 13.6% increase from last year at this time.

+1
post #1283 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

People are paying more attention to Avengers box office, IMO, because it's a 'true geek' sort of film, the kind we grew up hearing would never succeed with a larger audience. Titanic on the other hand, was the essence of Big Event Movie, made by James "God" Cameron, so I think that online geeks are experiencing a sort of vicarious win.

It is turning out to maybe not have the sort of legs that Avatar did, but it's damn close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1284 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't say it's important, but I'd really like to see it happen (and I liked Titanic, btw). I'm wanting to shoot films. Joss Whedon is my writing/filmmaking idol and his work are the inspirations that rekindled my desire to write and get back into wanting to shoot films. Is that explanation enough? Lol. I felt his work was simply magnificent and while he and his work was greatly loved and appreciated by many on the net I felt it was such a shame to see the treatment he has gotten by Networks and that his work wasn't bigger and was only cult status. I've been telling people for awhile if he got a project like this it'd be amazing and of the biggest films ever. For me, the bigger the better, but it's not that important. #3 is awesome too.

I love Cameron's work, btw, so nothing against him. I'm plenty happy if Whedon's film is at #3; That's amazing, but I think it'd be an even greater feat if his film topped a long time reigning film like Titanic. That's all.

I get it. Frankly, I'm still pissed that Star Wars has been surpassed.

No, it's just that I hear (and read) many people, not necessarily you, speak of how much they hope Titanic gets beat. And as a "people watcher" so to speak, it's really fascinating to me. It's one thing to say "I hope The Avengers or Wheddon" becomes the biggest movie of all time." But it's another to wish for the overshadowing of another title specified by name.

I guess I never think (or have thought) in these terms for movies because I guess I just want all movies to be good because I enjoy them at the theater and at home. Unlike sports where there are teams I specifically want to win and teams I specifically want to lose, relative to how it affects my team.
post #1285 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Hmmm. Everything I've read is different from what you wrote. Box Office MOJO shows a 13.6% increase from last year at this time.

It was a Hollywood Reporter story about the disappointing opening weekend for MIB 3. Maybe the decline was just memorial day weekend?

post #1286 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

It was a Hollywood Reporter story about the disappointing opening weekend for MIB 3. Maybe the decline was just memorial day weekend?

maybe mib3 ain't that good. the flicks raking in hundrds of millions survive on good word of mouth. next weekend should be telling. if mib3 drops significantly it's got no legs. and with prometheus coming out the following week they won't have a chance to be #1 again.

thanks to all here for the encouraging words about avengers. got me out of the mancave this weekend to check it out, and yes, you were all right about the characters, screenplay, acting and directing. an excellent, engaging and very funny film. kudos to wheaton and rd jr. for superb jobs on this wonderful film. now i can see why its grossing what it is.

neflixis our nemesis
post #1287 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I must be alone on this, but the two characters that stuck out in my mind the day after seeing the film were Hawkeye and Black Widow. Followed by the Hulk and the letter perfect (for me anyways) portrayal of Thor. IronMan came in fourth-and he was perfect too!

post #1288 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I get it. Frankly, I'm still pissed that Star Wars has been surpassed.

No, it's just that I hear (and read) many people, not necessarily you, speak of how much they hope Titanic gets beat. And as a "people watcher" so to speak, it's really fascinating to me. It's one thing to say "I hope The Avengers or Wheddon" becomes the biggest movie of all time." But it's another to wish for the overshadowing of another title specified by name.

I guess I never think (or have thought) in these terms for movies because I guess I just want all movies to be good because I enjoy them at the theater and at home. Unlike sports where there are teams I specifically want to win and teams I specifically want to lose, relative to how it affects my team.

Yeah, I mean no disrespect to Titanic or Cameraon. A lot of people are haters of that film film and want to see it go down for that reason alone. Not my reason at all. Personally, as a huge fan of Whedon and having loved The Avengers I'd love it to top it because it's a long time reining film film by an all time great director and is a very historic place to be (though #3 is as well really). It was #1 and seemingly untouchable for 12 years until Cameron decided to make another film, so any movie topping it is still a massive feat.
post #1289 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

maybe mib3 ain't that good. it is.

Bingo! This made first weekend dollars on title and stars. It was not very good IMO. Maybe that's the wrong word. It was very different from other MIB movies, so MIB fans should have been disappointed. I expect a major drop for this coming weekend.
post #1290 of 1397 Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I mean no disrespect to Titanic or Cameraon. A lot of people are haters of that film film and want to see it go down for that reason alone. Not my reason at all. Personally, as a huge fan of Whedon and having loved The Avengers I'd love it to top it because it's a long time reining film film by an all time great director and is a very historic place to be (though #3 is as well really). It was #1 and seemingly untouchable for 12 years until Cameron decided to make another film, so any movie topping it is still a massive feat.

Now I will absolutely concede that the better The Avengers does the more Opportunity and flexibility Wheadon will be given. He should be free to fully express and realize his cinematic vision, which is what any artist and fan of said artist wants.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page