AVS Forum banner

The Avengers

69K views 1K replies 123 participants last post by  Defcon 
#1 ·
#202 ·
After the Superbowl commercial, the wife said we are going to see that! I said "you bet!" but in my mind said go with LOW expectations. I love me some superhero splosions but so many superheros in one movie will take a "heroic" effort to pull it off.

Even the commercial smacked a bit of them being caricatures of themselves - standing around posing and looking tough. This movie is going to need a lot of meat on the bones to validate all these characters. There is also Johansen and the Archer guy to work in as well...

#203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/21616521

...I don't know about screen time, I'm pretty sure RDJ is biggest selling name (even more than Samuel L. Jackson) for the movie but this is not Iron Man 3 either

No it isn't, but I'd be very surprised if Downey's role in the film is on equal footing with, say, Chris Evans( Downey being the bigger name). Also, the Iron-man character is very big right now, moreso than either Cap or Thor, which is why I say Iron-man may have a slightly bigger role ( with Hulk). Which is not to say the others will be completely relegated to the background, only that in films like this with multiple protagonists, it's extremely difficult to put everyone on equal footing. Someone(s) is going to have to take a slightly lesser role, my guess is Thor and Cap America.....

#204 ·
I agree that RDJ/Iron Man will have the most prominent role. The character is very intelligent and will probably take on a leadership role. But I think the screen time should be relatively even for the bigger characters, with Jeremy R's and Scarlet J's characters getting the fewest minutes.

#205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/21620125

I agree that RDJ/Iron Man will have the most prominent role. The character is very intelligent and will probably take on a leadership role. But I think the screen time should be relatively even for the bigger characters, with Jeremy R's and Scarlet J's characters getting the fewest minutes.

I've read somewhere about Whedon saying the film is from Captain America's perspective. RDJ said he told Whedon he should be the lead role, but then he realized this one just didn't work that way.

#206 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson /forum/post/21642467

I've read somewhere about Whedon saying the film is from Captain America's perspective. RDJ said he told Whedon he should be the lead role, but then he realized this one just didn't work that way.

That's surprising and interesting. I really need to watch Captain America before this movie comes out. I think this movie looks very promising and I have a feeling it wiLl surprise a lot of people.

#207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/21620125

If you have ever read the comics or watched Avengers cartoons, Iron Man is the lead character in most if not all.

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/21614708

Wait...What does X2 United or FF movies have to do with this one?

My main concern here is the 3D and how "tacked-on" it will look. You know it's a bad sign when the director says (something to the effect) the 3D will be "inoffensive".

Once again you think it's all about you.
Quote:
Reading skills peoples!!!

#209 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw /forum/post/21617821

No it isn't, but I'd be very surprised if Downey's role in the film is on equal footing with, say, Chris Evans( Downey being the bigger name). Also, the Iron-man character is very big right now, moreso than either Cap or Thor, which is why I say Iron-man may have a slightly bigger role ( with Hulk). Which is not to say the others will be completely relegated to the background, only that in films like this with multiple protagonists, it's extremely difficult to put everyone on equal footing. Someone(s) is going to have to take a slightly lesser role, my guess is Thor and Cap America.....

Well, that'd be a shame. Thor may be a second-tier CHARACTER, but Helmsworth(?) definitely has the on-screen presence and charisma to command more attention and screen-time.

Personally I think he and RDJ have been the two most entertaining leads in the Marvel films yet. Shame Thor as a film was a bit of a clunker.

#210 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/21643629

If you have ever read the comics or watched Avengers cartoons, Iron Man is the lead character in most if not all.

Probably cause they all stay in his mansion (lol). I always thought Cap was the leader. In the comics out of respect to his legend, didn't they all want Cap to lead the team when it was first formed? I have the bootleg Thor, Iron Man, Captain American, Prince Namor 1960's tv shows with the cool themes so I'm going to look at how the Avengers were formed again. This is the tv show that has the distinction of following the exact story line and having the exact same art work as the comic books.

Speaking of that tv show. It's disappointing that they haven't gotten around to releasing it on DVD yet.

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/21643629

Then I guess you've never read the comics.

Cap is the main character and almost always has been (except at the very beginning, I know I know.)

#213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/21643739

Probably cause they all stay in his mansion (lol). I always thought Cap was the leader. In the comics out of respect to his legend, didn't they all want Cap to lead the team when it was first formed? I have the bootleg Thor, Iron Man, Captain American, Prince Namor 1960's tv shows with the cool themes so I'm going to look at how the Avengers were formed again. This is the tv show that has the distinction of following the exact story line and having the exact same art work as the comic books.

Speaking of that tv show. It's disappointing that they haven't gotten around to releasing it on DVD yet.

Hey, I thought I was first with the truth (lol).

#214 ·
Cap may be the team leader in much the same way that Cyclops is the leader of the Xmen, but another, larger than life personality will likely outshine him. The Tony Starks character, as portrayed by RDJ, is too awesome to think he won't be one of, if not THE, focal point of the story. I mean, Iron-man's stature in the public conscience has raised alot due to the 2008 film( I thought Iron 2 was pretty meh though), and IMO is the best of all the Avenger 'lead-in' flicks.

#215 ·
There were a ton of press releases from Whedon a couple of months ago stating that the story will be CA centric as the POV character. He felt the story hung together better since Cap was a fish out of water in our time. That said, I'm sure there will be plenty of action and screen time shared with the others.

#216 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/21645222

There were a ton of press releases from Whedon a couple of months ago stating that the story will be CA centric as the POV character. He felt the story hung together better since Cap was a fish out of water in our time. That said, I'm sure there will be plenty of action and screen time shared with the others.

This is great to hear as Cap is my favorite cartoon character but Iron Man is still the ring leader in most of the comics.

#217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/21643739

It's possible you could have me on this one. I always thought that Iron Man was the first recruited, they live in his mansion...seems to be the man with the plan.

#218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson /forum/post/21642467

Man, its good to see you're still here, M. My mentor...

#222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl /forum/post/21654138

Well... sorta. In the movie's universe, Cpt 'merica, has very minimal experience with that.

Why do you say that? In The First Avenger, from the time he rescued Bucky until he was put in the deep freezer, he led numerous missions with the Howling Commandos to attack various bases. That time frame seems to have covered many months. While it's very true going in that Steve Rogers didn't possess these skills, I believe it was implied toward the end of the movie that in fact, he developed them leading the HC's.

#223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 /forum/post/21654623

Why do you say that? In The First Avenger, from the time he rescued Bucky until he was put in the deep freezer, he led numerous missions with the Howling Commandos to attack various bases. That time frame seems to have covered many months. While it's very true going in that Steve Rogers didn't possess these skills, I believe it was implied toward the end of the movie that in fact, he developed them leading the HC's.

Yep, the other Avengers were in awe of Cap cause of his WWII experiences. He was a hero twice over, a born leader and the best person to lead. Now whether or not the director goes with Cap, is unknown to me.

#224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 /forum/post/21654623

He didn't have the physical skills but did have gumption, smarts and the ability to think on his feet early on by looking at the scene at the flag pole. He also had bravery and a sacrificial heart. Would Starks drop on a grenade to save others? Just saying.

#225 ·
I like the capt but he has ww2 experience. Not modern times so we shall see how that goes

#226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21654853

I like the capt but he has ww2 experience. Not modern times so we shall see how that goes

Well, I think that will probably be one of the plot lines of the movie - Cap will be a "fish out of water" (unless the time setting is long after he's awakened from suspended animation). No way to tell until May 4th.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.