blu ray music - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have heard that audio cd's will soon be released in bluray format for lossless audio quality. Does anyone have a list or link to the recent and upcoming releases in this format?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There's only a few Blu ray music titles so far......Neil Young Archives volume 1......Tom Petty Live anthology......Nine Inch Nails Ghosts 1-4 and the Pixies Minotaur box

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #3 of 13 Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The first I saw was nine inch nails. I also understand lou reed metal machine music is also available. I would like to find a link to upcomig and already released blu ray music cd's.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-02-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Metal Machine Music's out very soon.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #5 of 13 Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Interesting and makes sense I guess. How does DTS-MA and TrueHD compare to SACD or DVDA? (word-length and sample-rate wise)

Cary
post #6 of 13 Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

I have heard that audio cd's will soon be released in bluray format for lossless audio quality. Does anyone have a list or link to the recent and upcoming releases in this format?

This site does a pretty good job of following the hi-def formats:

Audiophile Audition
post #7 of 13 Old 02-03-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks mac
post #8 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Kiwi2000, since you're interested in hi-def audio, I think you'll find this podcast very interesting:

Home Theater Geeks 9: High Definition And Surround Music With Mark Waldrep
post #9 of 13 Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's another source for high-resolution audio. Unfortunately, it's a subscription based service. I've found these types of services interesting when I've been burned-out on my usual stuff and I want to listen to something that I know has already been screened for quality. If you're looking for specific items this service is no good.

Society of Sound
post #10 of 13 Old 03-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

Just FYI: CDs are already lossless.

The advantages BD could provide are more channels, or audio at higher sampling frequencies and bitdepths, which may or may not be an audible improvement over CD's capabilities. I would tend towards the side of being skeptical that delivery with higher fidelity than 16-bit 44.1khz PCM could offer any audible improvements in fidelity. Obviously more channels of audio is entirely different, and that could be very advantageous to people who desire that capability and experience.

And of course you could get video along with that too. This has the biggest advantage for recordings of live concerts which are popular on DVD which generally offers significantly inferior audio to CD, and that's where the audio advantage for BD is probably greatest appreciated IMO in comparison to DVD, not in comparison to CD which BD doesn't really offer superior fidelity over (of practical significance).
post #11 of 13 Old 03-28-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, the biggest advantage of these formats is that they only tend to be provided by true "audiophiles" and by that I don't mean audio equipment lovers, I mean real "music" lovers.

So these recordings generally don't suffer from the heavy-handed use of dynamic range compression, the use of autotuners, etc and all the other processing crap that is the norm on main stream releases these days.

BTW, anyone who can hear the flyback transformer in an old color CRT can hear beyond the frequency range of CD's (color CRT flybacks are usually in the 24-26KHz range).

When I was in high school, we would goof around in electronics class by taking a ribbon tweeter, which was capable of generating sound over 40KHz, hook it up directly to a frequency generator and then test each other's hearing range. Back then I could make it up to about 25KHz. The kid with the best hearing in the class could make it up to about 28KHz. In fact, almost all of the kids in the class could hear above 22KHz. The only adult we had a chance to test was the teacher of that class and he was an Air Force avionics electrician, so his hearing was fried by working around around jet engines for years.

it's a myth that CDs were designed to cover the full range of human hearing, they were only designed to cover "most" people's hearing range, not the extremes.

So there are potentially audible differences with the higher resolution formats for people with above average hearing. However, most people might not consider that an "improvement" just like most people prefer darker speakers to brighter speakers, because the brighter speakers tend to be "more fatiguing", even though the brighter speaker is often more "accurate".

Anyway, like I said before, the real advantage of these audiophile formats is that they're currently being produced by people who truly love music and don't do nasty things like squeezing all the dynamic range out of the recording.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:

BTW, anyone who can hear the flyback transformer in an old color CRT can hear beyond the frequency range of CD's (color CRT flybacks are usually in the 24-26KHz range).

Not true. It's well under 22.05khz, depending on the exact horizontal refresh. Usually 15.625kHz for NTSC.

And most people can't hear it. There are almost no studies that suggest people can really hear beyond the limits of CD. And there are a thousand reasons why your test is not that informative.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 AM

I usually spend my time over in the Audio Area/Surround Music forum but decided to look around a little and see what's being discussed about BD and music. And I don't actually mean live concerts...I don't like the compromises that are necessary during a live concert (floor slant monitor speakers, cheap microphones, back signal path and cheering masses of fans).

As the owner and chief engineer of AIX Records...a small audiophile label that has been releasing DVD-Audio/Video titles for the past 10 years...I've decided to produce or content on Blu-ray and have our first few discs in this format coming back from replication this week (we've already issued a couple of samplers in conjunction with Oppo and Dolby Labs).

I'm not sure, but I think we're the only ones putting out new HD audio/video "albums" using BD. I don't mean older analog or SD digital stuff parading as HD in BD but new tracks made specifically for the new format (Neil Young and Tom Petty).

About 5 years ago, we started recording HD Video of our sessions at the same time as the HD audio. Now with BD, we can release audiophile audio captures WITH the HD Video of the sessions. Think of these as "private performances" and you'll get the idea. It's because we produce the entire recording in a single session without any processing, overdubs etc. Why not have video as well?

I believe that downloads are the future of HD Surround music, but for the time being BD is a viable and easy alternative. It should be interesting to see whether people like what we're doing. Audiophiles have certainly embraced our purist approach...but they tend not to be interested in the video.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page