Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 View Post

Serenity was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I think it would have helped a lot if you had seen all the other episodes before the movie.

Check out Danger UXB, 13 episodes IIRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Pride and Prejudice (Blu-Ray BBC for $20 @ Amazon- Amazing).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #33 of 47 Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 View Post

, Serenity was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. .

Your welcome to that opinion, but it had hugely good reviews, 81% on Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity/

I also find it one of the most quotable movies ever made. great writing!
post #34 of 47 Old 03-08-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Centennial.

Thought I was the only person who remembered that. Need to see it again
post #35 of 47 Old 01-23-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Not sure what you mean by long running shows. There have been some great shows that have ran for a few years without losing steam such as Deadwood, Dexter, Rome, Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Flight of the Conchords, and The Wire. Others I haven't really watched such as Carnivale, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Tudors, Californication etc. HBO has done some events such as Angels in America, Iron Jawed Angels, John Adams, Recount, When the Levees Broke, The Corner, and recently (won't be on DVD for a while) which is really good: Temple Grandin and off of HBO you have Planet Earth. Another current series which is fun is True Blood.

I just finished watching TEMPLE GRANDIN, and just a few weeks ago watched IRON JAWED ANGELS. Both are must-see movies, IMO.

And then of course JOHN ADAMS is very good, if you can handle the director's penchant for slanted shots.
post #36 of 47 Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 AM
KOA
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I missed it if it was mentioned but Breaking Bad is one of the best shows on cable (AMC) now. First and second season on DVD, third is on itunes and will be on DVD soon. Fourth season starts in July. It's as addicting as the meth Walt cooks.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903747/
post #37 of 47 Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM

Generation Kill is definitely worth a look a 7 episode series from the maker of The Wire.
post #38 of 47 Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Just started the BBC Sherlock series; Episode 1 looked very interesting, i.e., deductive, more so than Guy Ritchie's stuff at a much lower budget.
post #39 of 47 Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 AM
KOA
Advanced Member

Netflix streaming has MI5, the 80 episode BBC series called Spooks in the UK. Very entertaining but don't get too attached to the main characters or even the replacement main characters.
post #40 of 47 Old 01-14-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd recommend "The Wire", at least the first couple of seasons. It's a gritty HBO series about the war on drugs in Baltimore, and it has an extremely authentic feel. You can't help but get the idea that whoever wrote the screenplay must really have had to put up with the kind of police department politics depicted in the show, and if I recall correctly they even used real-life former drug dealers in some of the roles.
post #41 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
SHOGUN is likely the best mini-series of all time.

The Bourne Identity, shown in two parts back in the mid-80's, is a damn fine work. I like it more than the Matt Damon update.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #42 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 11
I thought the first season of "Rome" was wonderfully done. So much so that I bought the series on BR. I haven't watched the second (i.e., last) season yet. I have heard it is not as good, but it would be difficult to match the first season.

I was completely engrossed by "Sleeper Cell" when the first season was on. I tried to watch the second season but couldn't get into it. Fortunately, the first season stands well on its own. (It sort of felt like it was intended to be a one season series that did so well that it was extended, not to good effect.)

I believe "Threads" was a mini-series in Britain, but I may be wrong about that as it is only 110 minutes long. It is available on DVD, but only as a Region 2 disc, so you would have to either play it on a region-free DVD player, a DVD-ROM player, or put it on a hard drive and change the region code. I saw it on TV in 1989. I recently found it on Amazon.com and have bought it, but I haven't watched it yet.

"Threads" is about the slow breakdown of social order after a nuclear bomb in England. There isn't razzle dazzle or special effects. I think it is more effective for that reason. I like it better than similar US productions.

The US production of "Life On Mars" ended up being a one-season show, sort of like a mini-series. I understand the British predecessor of the same name was intended to be a one-season mini-series that ended up running two seasons. I prefer the US production of this.

"Traffic" is a US movie based on the 1989 British mini-series "Traffik". (There is also a later three-part mini-series titled "Traffic".) I think the British production is the best of all of these. I think of the US version as being more "cops and bad guys, both with guns" and the British version to be much more reflective of the real issues about drugs.
post #43 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 AM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Before he moved to Maui, Richard Chamberlain lived down the street from me. Every time I saw him on the road walking his dog my first thought was, "Build another boat Anjin-san".

I use to joke RC was stalking me. Back in the late 70's I put an offer in on a beach house on the west side of the island. RC ended up buying it. I then bought property about 50 miles away in the mountains above Honolulu and built a house. A few years later RC buys a house down the street from me. Also coincidentally, we went to the same guy for haircuts.
post #44 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

The Bourne Identity, shown in two parts back in the mid-80's, is a damn fine work. I like it more than the Matt Damon update.

Interesting, both features Chamberlain as the lead.
post #45 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

Before he moved to Maui, Richard Chamberlain lived down the street from me. Every time I saw him on the road walking his dog my first thought was, "Build another boat Anjin-san".

I use to joke RC was stalking me. Back in the late 70's I put an offer in on a beach house on the west side of the island. RC ended up buying it. I then bought property about 50 miles away in the mountains above Honolulu and built a house. A few years later RC buys a house down the street from me. Also coincidentally, we went to the same guy for haircuts.

Good stuff.
post #46 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indijones75 View Post

The 12th Kingdom...NBC miniseries about fairytales...AWESOME

I think you mean 'The 10th Kingdom' - simply wonderful.
A fairy tales for grown ups. Kimberly Williams is so adorable.

post #47 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 64
It may have already been mentioned but Roots is an obvious one. I was pretty young at the time, but I remember it being something of a phenomenon. I remember my family watching all the episodes. There's been a lot of water under the bridge since then, so maybe a lot of it would seem very quaint now, I dunno.

Did anyone mentiond "From the Earth to the Moon"? A quite entertaining, and quite accurate such things go, look at the space program. Tom Hanks was the driving force behind it and a big space fan, and probably had the weight to throw around to make sure it didn't get turned into 'based vaguely, possibly, almost kinda-sorta on reality' type of thing. It was drawn heavily from the book "A Man on the Moon" (also very recommended if you are into such things.)

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page