post #91 of 367 Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that watching the subtitled version of a foreign film takes more work than does an English language movie.

In Canada the trilogy is already available french(QC)-dubbed. Too bad they didn't even bother including the original swedish track. I ended up buying the (forced)english subtitled version because I hate dubbed movies. I'm glad I did of course, watching dubbed movies is like missing half of the movie to me. Not only I want to see actors play their part, but I want to hear them play too. In that case, the forced subtitled were not really distracting, I would have preferred them in the bottom black bar though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 367 Old 08-21-2010, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

In Canada the trilogy is already available french(QC)-dubbed. Too bad they didn't even bother including the original swedish track. I ended up buying the (forced)english subtitled version because I hate dubbed movies. I'm glad I did of course, watching dubbed movies is like missing half of the movie to me. Not only I want to see actors play their part, but I want to hear them play too. In that case, the forced subtitled were not really distracting, I would have preferred them in the bottom black bar though.

Are you saying the Canada release is in dubbed French (but no Swedish soundtrack), with forced English subs?
Man...that is really weird.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #93 of 367 Old 08-21-2010, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Are you saying the Canada release is in dubbed French (but no Swedish soundtrack), with forced English subs?
Man...that is really weird.

No no... I'm saying there are 2 versions in Canada...

1/
-french dubbed, with the 3 movies already released (under the title Millenium). Only available audio option is french, 5.1 DTS-HD MA and 2.0 DD iirc. (optional english subtitles, weird I know but coming from alliance I'm not suprised).
No idea about extras.

2/(combo Blu+DVD)
-Swedish 5.1 DD and 2.0 DD with forced english subtiles.
-English dubbed.
Extras include one Noomi interview, photo gallery, The Girl Who Played With Fire sneak peek and trailer(UK).

...And I went for the swedish version with english subtitles.

Sorry for the confusion.
post #94 of 367 Old 08-21-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 130
It looks like Daryl and I are alone in not being fully satisfied with the portrayal of Lisbeth Actually, I'm reluctant to criticize NR because its an amazing performance and more than Oscar worthy. That is why I like Daryl's theory that the shortcomings are more the fault of the director than the actress. "Fault" isn't really the right word either because I realize choices had to be made to bring a very complex multi character story to the screen. There are things I like about the film over the book-it succeeds as a mystery much better than the novel, for example. My problem I guess is that the film version of LS isn't as far "out there" as the character in the book. When I finished the first book I didn't quite know what to make of Lisbeth.The second book is more focused on her but still she is almost like a force of nature than a sympathetic character to me. So I was completely blindsided by the emotional impact of what happens to her. It was like falling in love with someone who wasn't even all that likeable, if that makes any sense. In the film I was clearly on her side by the end. To give credit to the makers of the film they seemed to realize they had made her too likeable and tried to cloud the picture with the flashbacks of her with the gasoline, which is not in the first book. It was a clever move and helps tie the trilogy together but I couldn't help feeling they were giving away too much, too soon. But there might be no other way to do it, and thats why I'm conflicted. I really like the film and doubt it can be improved on by the american version. But Fincher could be the director that could, if anyone can.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #95 of 367 Old 08-21-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Reviews I have seen have several critics also discussing the series as a Swedish tv show not much more than a Law & Order episode. I saw the second movie tonight (The Girl That Played With Fire) and it was more of the same. The difference is that the plot of the second book is more straight forward and it is a bit more action as opposed to research that marks the first book or political intrigue that marks the third book so I actually thought that it was more successful. I know I am in the minority on that but it played out the plot points pretty well. Oddly, the movie dwelled early on on a lesbian coupling between Salander and her sometimes lover Miriam Wu which wasn't erotic at all and just sort of sat there on the screen for no reason. The interesting thing about this book and movie is that the two main characters are completely estranged throughout the movie and work parallel to figure out the "mystery" and come to the same place at almost the same time.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #96 of 367 Old 08-21-2010, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

2/(combo Blu+DVD)
-Swedish 5.1 DD and 2.0 DD with forced english subtiles.
-English dubbed.
Extras include one Noomi interview, photo gallery, The Girl Who Played With Fire sneak peek and trailer(UK).

So there is no lossless?
Are the final 2 in OAR?
What about PQ?

post #97 of 367 Old 08-22-2010, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So there is no lossless?
Are the final 2 in OAR?
What about PQ?

Indeed no lossless, the DD mix is acceptable though, surrounds and .LFE are pretty quiet throughout the film so I think it's not the kind of movie that screams lossless, but yes it would have been a plus. On the PQ side, I don't know how it compares to the US release but it's pretty good; great contrasts and details, no trace of any "enhancement" either... I never saw it in theaters but I think it's truthful to the film visual climate and atmosphere. It IS OAR, 2.4:1.

I haven't seen the next 2 films yet, as I said the trilogy is available but in french only, which I don't care about. The Girl Who Played With Fire is getting released in october and I can't wait. Even my wife enjoyed it with the english subtitles lol!... As we are both french though, I would have liked french subtitles but we can't have it all

Overall a pretty satisfying release from Alliance, for once...
post #98 of 367 Old 08-22-2010, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Swedish BD has DTS HD MA. I think I'll grab that one, ain't got no problem with subtitles, but on this movie I don't need 'em.
post #99 of 367 Old 08-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
My wife picked this movie and I really enjoyed the Euro version so much, oh so not necessary for an American update...Let's hope this great story can survive?
post #100 of 367 Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I watched with the subtitles.Dont think I would have enjoyed it as much otherwise. It just bothers me, and is ultimately distracting, and IMO you lose part of the experience when you lose the subtitles and watch with the voice overs, mainly because the words dont match the lip movements, and often times, the voice overs are not the original actor`s voices.

Lisbeth had a unique look to be sure, she Looked real hot in the Blonde wig.
post #101 of 367 Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

My wife picked this movie and I really enjoyed the Euro version so much, oh so not necessary for an American update...Let's hope this great story can survive?

Yeah, we made a remake to "Death at a Funeral" another gem from Hollywood Dont see how they will make this better, so I wont even bother with it.
post #102 of 367 Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrushhead View Post

I watched with the subtitles.Dont think I would have enjoyed it as much otherwise. It just bothers me, and is ultimately distracting, and IMO you lose part of the experience when you lose the subtitles and watch with the voice overs, mainly because the words dont match the lip movements, and often times, the voice overs are not the original actor`s voices.

You should give the dubbed track a chance. It's probably the best dub I have ever heard. The voice actors are appropriate and English actually lip-synchs to Swedish pretty well. After the first couple of minutes I completely forgot I was watching a dub. It made it that much more enjoyable.

Mike
post #103 of 367 Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
meh, a dubbed movie is of course much more distracting than subtitles. It's like listening to your favorite bands but the singer is replaced with a cover singer
post #104 of 367 Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 367
So what's the consensus, subtitles or dubbed? I have this movie penciled in for the weekend. Gotta admit I'm not a fan of the subtitle. Turning your head to pick up your cocktail, no telling what you'll miss. Hmmm, subtitle or dubbed...?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #105 of 367 Old 08-24-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Only my opinion, and it's just the way I am, but I'd never view a film that has been dubbed. After watching 100's of foreign films over the years it doesn't bother me in the least anymore, foreign language, subtitles, no big deal. I've viewed sections of a few dubbed films and never finished any them as it just didn't work me, as buddywhite notes, the sync issue, along with a different voice than the actor's own, becomes far more distracting than reading subtitles.
post #106 of 367 Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I much prefer the subtitles but I got very angry at the Girl Who Played With Fire as the white subtitles were lost in the white background several times.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #107 of 367 Old 08-25-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Only my opinion, and it's just the way I am, but I'd never view a film that has been dubbed. After watching 100's of foreign films over the years it doesn't bother me in the least anymore, foreign language, subtitles, no big deal. I've viewed sections of a few dubbed films and never finished any them as it just didn't work me, as buddywhite notes, the sync issue, along with a different voice than the actor's own, becomes far more distracting than reading subtitles.

I agree. If a foreign film doesn't offer its original soundtrack and subtitles, I won't watch it.

On another note, I have finally worked my way up the reserve list for the Larsson novel at my metro library. I will pick it up later today. Can hardly wait to read it. I have also placed the other two on reserve.
post #108 of 367 Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I agree. If a foreign film doesn't offer its original soundtrack and subtitles, I won't watch it.

Same here. It wasn't always that way though. I used to hate subtitles, but once I gave them a chance it's hard to watch a dubbed film. My 2nd viewing of TGWTDT was listening to the English track, due to a friend not liking subs. It was more than distracting to me. Amazing how viewpoints can change.

Art
post #109 of 367 Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

So what's the consensus, subtitles or dubbed? I have this movie penciled in for the weekend. Gotta admit I'm not a fan of the subtitle. Turning your head to pick up your cocktail, no telling what you'll miss. Hmmm, subtitle or dubbed...?

hehe...yeah but it's just that I prefer missing a word or two and "rewind" if needed that missing the actors' performances. No consensus, just personal tastes I guess. I used to watch dubbed films, now it's impossible, regardless of the original language.

and btw, for those vaguely interested by the alliance french-dubbed, canadian release (called Millenium, all 3 films released), it's NOT OAR but an ugly 1.78:1. My wife picked #2 and #3 by mistake, we watched it (fortunately TGWPWF *IS* in swedish as well) and were very disappointed. Actually I was more disappointed than her by the poor PQ. And contains no extra whatsoever. So just skip and wait for the proper, swedish + english subtitles release of The Girl Who Played With Fire next october.
post #110 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Just watched this movie. Let me preface this by saying I wasn't too sure what to expect. Wow! I'm still trying to process what I just saw.

Btw, subtitles are the way to go.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #111 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just watched this movie. Let me preface this by saying I wasn't too sure what to expect. Wow! I'm still trying to process what I just saw.

Btw, subtitles are the way to go.

The script is nothing short of superb: no holes, perfect logic.
If only I could write like that....

post #112 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The script is nothing short of superb: no holes, perfect logic.
If only I could write like that....

You're not kidding. It was a fantastic movie. I've been thinking about it since it ended.

Now is this a trilogy? I can't wait to see the other two!

P.S. If it wasn't for this thread, this movie would have slipped by me. A big thanks to everyone! Btw, I can see Daniel Craig in the U.S. version. But Lisbeth is so critical, I hope they get it right.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #113 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 12:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You're not kidding. It was a fantastic movie. I've been thinking about it since it ended.

P.S. If it wasn't for this thread, this movie would have slipped by me. A big thanks to everyone! Btw, I can see Daniel Craig in the U.S. version. But Lisbeth is so critical, I hope they get it right.

Yup, a trilogy.
And the films and their videos have already been released in parts of Europe.

IIRC, the 2nd film will be released for home video in Oct. here in the States.

Although the American remake has been cast, Ebert's suggestion of Edward Norton and a non-Twilight Kristin Stewart in the leads would have been preferable...IMO.

post #114 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, a trilogy.
And the films and their videos have already been released in parts of Europe.

IIRC, the 2nd film will be released for home video in Oct. here in the States.

Although the American remake has been cast, Ebert's suggestion of Edward Norton and a non-Twilight Kristin Stewart in the leads would have been preferable...IMO.

Thanks! I just saved The Girl Who Played With Fire in my queue. Looking forward to it.

I know Daniel Craig has been cast, but who did they cast as Lisbeth? After watching The Runaways, I can see Kristen Stewart playing her.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #115 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 03:33 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

Im going to have to rent this

Frank

post #116 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Im going to have to rent this

By all means, rent The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I will be very surprised if your reaction to it isn't as enthusiastic as mine was. My fondness for the film, plus some comments I've read here about the book, are the reasons I am so looking forward to reading the book. I will read it after I finish the book I am currently working on.
post #117 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I watched it via Netflix streaming the other day. I can't say I'd recommend the streaming route...one of the few newer movies that I thought looked pretty bad (usually I am pretty happy with it, but in this case, I'd say to get the disc).

Loved the movie. Curious to see the Hollywood version, but only because it's being directed by Fincher.

Anyone know if there is a sequel to the original in the works? Never read the books, but I assume this movie only covers the first book.
post #118 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

By all means, rent The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I will be very surprised if your reaction to it isn't as enthusiastic as mine was. My fondness for the film, plus some comments I've read here about the book, are the reasons I am so looking forward to reading the book. I will read it after I finish the book I am currently working on.

In a couple of week it will be released here, I definitely be looking forward to watch it.

Frank

post #119 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I watched it via Netflix streaming the other day. I can't say I'd recommend the streaming route...one of the few newer movies that I thought looked pretty bad (usually I am pretty happy with it, but in this case, I'd say to get the disc).

Loved the movie. Curious to see the Hollywood version, but only because it's being directed by Fincher.

Anyone know if there is a sequel to the original in the works? Never read the books, but I assume this movie only covers the first book.

Yes, the movie only deals with the events recounted in the first book. I understand that there are two other Swedish movies about the last books in Larsson's trilogy but I haven't see either one.
post #120 of 367 Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The Girl Who Played With Fire is the next movie in the trilogy. It is being released on 10/26/10. I already have it saved in my BB queue. The 3rd movie in the trilogy is The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I'm hooked now.

Growing Older But Not Up
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Three Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page