Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 367 Old 09-13-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Finished TGWPWF – an excellent book. I was feeling guilty that I should be doing other things rather than spending so much time reading, but it was difficult to put down. I’m really glad I’m late to the game on this series, because I’ve been able read them back to back, and after the way TGWPWF ended, its great that I can sit down and continue the saga immediately and not wait months or years like you would typically have to do. We’re headed to the beach for 4 days this Thursday so I won’t feel guilty spending so much time reading TGWKTHN.

The pace of this book was so much better than the first, and that was in a large part due to a greater dialogue. Lots of characters to remember in this one. Also, lots of towns/cities that for the most part I couldn’t keep straight. That had to do with being clueless about Swedish towns/cities and really didn’t create a problem; they just became inconsequential.

It’ll be interesting to see what the movie is like. With a little over 2 hours runtime, I’m sure they will leave a lot out, but I’m also sure it will be a nonstop thrill ride.
post #183 of 367 Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Finished TGWPWF – an excellent book. I was feeling guilty that I should be doing other things rather than spending so much time reading, but it was difficult to put down.

[Hanks]Reading?! There's no reading on AVS![/Hanks]

Somewhere there's a movie that's not being watched at the Alien household.
post #184 of 367 Old 09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Late to the party...watched the BD last night after sitting on it for over a week. I really enjoyed it. It was a long movie that moved along slowly though it really didn't seem like it. For some reason, I don't think this movie would have worked for me as an American film. Swedish language and culture are just alien enough to me, so that the relaxed manner of telling an interesting mystery with some brutal quirks, just worked. The Lisabet character was remarkably unattractive to me and yet compelling to watch. I really enjoyed the actor playing Mykael(sp?) character, relaxed, good natured, smart and unlike any film stereotype in American films I've encountered...a charming and unusal partnership with little stormcloud Lizzy. Cinematography was eye candy sweet...just a very good film.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #185 of 367 Old 09-25-2010, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Actor who plays Mikael Blomqvist is the bad guy in the new MI:4 movie.
He's one of the best Swedish actors around me thinks, I don't watch a lotta Swedish films though, I find them mostly dull
post #186 of 367 Old 09-25-2010, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Well done, and a great performance by Noomi. Also, there’s a very nice interview with her in the extras section. Listening to Noomi’s dedication to the Salender character, reminded me of Christian Bale’s commitment to his character in The Machinist. She totally lost her self for a year and a half while making the trilogy. Out of character, I find her to be a very attractive woman.

This was only the second movie I’ve seen where I read the book beforehand, so it rattles the brain a bit. The screenwriters did a fantastic job of streamlining the movie, which was understandable and expected, but I was surprised how much they left out, although it didn’t affect the movie at all, but you do miss the subplots, which can be very interesting. What really surprised me was Salander’s character. I thought she was much more aloof and withdrawn in the book, yet the way the movie presented her, she seemed more approachable and willingly involved.

The way the writers increased the tempo of TGWTDT in comparison to the book, I can’t wait to see TGWPWF, that’ll be like this movie on speed. I expect to be on the edge of my seat from start to finish.
post #187 of 367 Old 09-25-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite View Post

The Actor who plays Mikael Blomqvist is the bad guy in the new MI:4 movie.

He is a bad guy in MI4, I havnt heard that he is the bad guy in MI4.
post #188 of 367 Old 09-25-2010, 12:28 PM

Liked: 12
I am finally watching this movie tonight... cant wait. For those interested, Noomi has been cast in the upcoming sequel to Guy Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes". Also, here is first look at the lead girl in the American remake, in character:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/07/...dragon-tattoo/
post #189 of 367 Old 09-25-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 403
She just might work, although she appears to be rather tall. IMDb has her at 5'3".
post #190 of 367 Old 09-25-2010, 11:17 PM

Just finished it.. outstanding film. The 2 leads were incredible, the cinematography was excellent, the plot and direction and pacing were practically flawless. The "fourth act" was very well done and flowed seemlessly imo. It was also necessary of course. The only gripes I have was that the title was basically a red herring, and the ending...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Lis in a wig getting out of a limo strolling down the beach... wtf? Completely out of place and a bit non-sensical (unless of course it has relevance to a sequel). Thankfully it was so brief that it didnt matter too much

I hear the sequels are piss-poor in comparison to this film, can anyone confirm or deny? I'm interested in seeing them if they're decent, but despite what I outlined above, this film stands so damn well on its own that I wouldnt want to tarnish my perspective of it if they are crap.

Anyway... excellent films for me this week. First "A Prophet" and now this. 2 current foreign masterpieces in a row... loving it! Highly recommended.
post #191 of 367 Old 09-26-2010, 05:36 AM

I didn't like the sequels. They're basically TV-movies, and it shows
post #192 of 367 Old 09-26-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Just finished it.. outstanding film. The 2 leads were incredible, the cinematography was excellent, the plot and direction and pacing were practically flawless. The "fourth act" was very well done and flowed seemlessly imo. It was also necessary of course. The only gripes I have was that the title was basically a red herring, and the ending...

Anyway... excellent films for me this week. First "A Prophet" and now this. 2 current foreign masterpieces in a row... loving it! Highly recommended.

Watch the sequels, you'll be glad you did.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #193 of 367 Old 09-26-2010, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Spoiler  
Lis in a wig getting out of a limo strolling down the beach... wtf? Completely out of place and a bit non-sensical (unless of course it has relevance to a sequel). Thankfully it was so brief that it didnt matter too much

If you read the books, you will find that the scene was in character as will be more deeply explained in movie #2 (I assume since; 1) it was in the second & third books, and 2) I have not seen the 2nd movie.) I agree though, that as shown in movie #1, it did not seem to make any sense at all.
post #194 of 367 Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptrout View Post

If you read the books, you will find that the scene was in character as will be more deeply explained in movie #2 (I assume since; 1) it was in the second & third books, and 2) I have not seen the 2nd movie.) I agree though, that as shown in movie #1, it did not seem to make any sense at all.

Agree.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #195 of 367 Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Spoiler  

The scene is extremely important to the following two books. You should be able to figure out why by watching Blomkvist's reaction when he see the surveillance video.

The book is very complex with many interesting subplots which are only hinted at in the movie.
post #196 of 367 Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 AM

Good movie if anyone is reading through the threads and on the fence watch it you will be pleased.
post #197 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

She just might work, although she appears to be rather tall. IMDb has her at 5'3".

After reading the posts in this thread about Mara being too tall at 5'3, I know I'm the only one that doesn't think it's an issue. Noomi said she's slightly taller than the 4'11 Salander, and the only time I even thought of her height was when they made an obvious attempt to show her walking in platform shoes. I never got the sense that everyone was towering over her. Had I not read the books or the comments about height, it would have never crossed my mind while watching the movie that she was short. It was a non-issue. YMMV.
post #198 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:

After reading the posts in this thread about Mara being too tall at 5'3, I know I'm the only one that doesn't think it's an issue. Noomi said she's slightly taller than the 4'11 Salander, and the only time I even thought of her height was when they made an obvious attempt to show her walking in platform shoes. I never got the sense that everyone was towering over her. Had I not read the books or the comments about height, it would have never crossed my mind while watching the movie that she was short. It was a non-issue. YMMV.

No, My Mileage doesn't Vary.
Apparently, the movie's producers can't cast someone over 5 ft tall without ruining readers of the books Suspension of Disbelief.
OK, now THAT is just plain ridiculous.
Rather than looking for the best actors for their projects, filmmakers have to carry around a measuring tape?
Pleeze....

This is one of those silly internet "controversies."
It's hard to imagine more of a non-issue than this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #199 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

No, My Mileage doesn't Vary.
Apparently, the movie's producers can't cast someone over 5 ft tall without ruining readers of the books Suspension of Disbelief.
OK, now THAT is just plain ridiculous.
Rather than looking for the best actors for their projects, filmmakers have to carry around a measuring tape?
Pleeze....

This is one of those silly internet "controversies."
It's hard to imagine more of a non-issue than this.

I agree. It seemed to me that Larsson described the girl as being so short and slight, she looked like a child in order to demonstrate why she was consistently underestimated. Those who have read the book or seen the film will know what I mean. I thought that Noomi Rapace's small size, coupled with her piercings and tattoos, made her seeming vulnerability entirely realistic. I've said it before and I will repeat here that I can't imagine any actress anywhere making Lisbeth Salander more believable than Rapace.
post #200 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

The Lisabet character was remarkably unattractive to me and yet compelling to watch.

Not to me. But my entire upper body is tattoo'd, so that may explain the attraction to Lisbeth.

Art
post #201 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Not to me. But my entire upper body is tattoo'd, so that may explain the attraction to Lisbeth.

Art

Nothing to do with the tats. Everything to do with her looks and the persona she adopted.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #202 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Nothing to do with the tats. Everything to do with her looks and the persona she adopted.

That was how I felt, too. I am as tattoo-phobic as anyone but Lisbeth's tats were an integral part of her character and told us a lot about her. She was deeply damaged but brilliant and capable, too. I thought that the tattoos and piercings effectively conveyed how hard her life had been and how much damage it had caused.
post #203 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The goth look doesn't make one think of romance and a positive attitude. Noomi in character - not very appealing. Out of character - very appealing.
post #204 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

The goth look doesn’t make one think of romance and a positive attitude.

to each his own ...I am attracted by the very fact that it doesn't make one think of romance and a positive attitude
post #205 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lisbeth is one of those kind of girls you might wish to date but not take home to meet Mom.

post #206 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I thought that the tattoos and piercings effectively conveyed how hard her life had been and how much damage it had caused.

I can understand people thinking that way, but most folks with tattoos are the same as everyone else. It's just a form of expression, and the pain endured can be very therapeutic.

BTW, I liked Lisbeth's entire look. The tattoos were only visible without clothes.

Art
post #207 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's just a form of expression, and the pain endured can be very therapeutic.

This one I gotta hear. And if it’s really good, I may take my chainsaw and start carving away on myself. Nothing like pain to make those childhood traumas go away.
post #208 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can understand people thinking that way, but most folks with tattoos are the same as everyone else. It's just a form of expression, and the pain endured can be very therapeutic.

BTW, I liked Lisbeth's entire look. The tattoos were only visible without clothes.

Art

To each his own.

I recently read about the Yakuza's tradition of heavy tattooing has had very serious health effects on those sweethearts.
Apparently, the tattoos hinder the skin from "breathing," which leads to damaged livers.
The tattoos, coupled with heavy alcohol use, often causes a premature death from liver failure.

post #209 of 367 Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
I badly want to see the third film. I'll be in line the day it opens next month in NYC.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

post #210 of 367 Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I badly want to see the third film. I'll be in line the day it opens next month in NYC.

I want to see both the second and third films. The second, The Girl Who Played with Fire, will be released on BD on 10/26. I have already placed it in my Netflix queue.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Three Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page