The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 367 Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I screened this film earlier today and thought it was a really good thriller.

Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL8LI-h2WFc

It is based on the best selling novel of the same name and hits theaters on April 2nd. It was filmed in Sweeden and has english subtitles. Anyone heard about it or read the novels?

David Budo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 367 Old 03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started a thread on this back in Sept of 2009. All three movies of the "Millennium Trilogy" are available now on Blu Ray and DVD (not English friendly). I've seen all three and this is a great series, all are "Highly Recommended".

From my previous post....

"Män som hatar kvinnor" (Men Who Hate Women) or "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (International: English title) - The Swedish thriller based on Stieg Larsson's novel about a journalist and a young female hacker. This is the first in what is known as 'the Millennium Trilogy'.

The 16-year old girl Harriet Vanger disappeared without a trace, on September 29th 1966. Nearly forty years later a journalist by the name of Mikael Blomqvist gets an unusual assignment. He's contacted by the industrial leader Henrik Vanger, who wants him to write the history of the Vanger family. The family chronicle is just a cover for the real assignment: to find out about what really happened to Harriet. Mikael who recently been indicted and convicted on counts of slander, feels that he need a break from his job on the Millennium magazine takes on the job. He gets help from the young and troubled computer hacker Lisbeth Salander. Together the odd couple starts to dig in the past of the Vanger family and meet a darker and bloodier history than the ever could have imagined... (Courtesy of the pocket book Män som hatar kvinnor, by Stieg Larsson, taken from the back of the book.)

Sweden gave us the fantastic fantasy/horror/thriller "Let the Right One In" and now we get the magnificent mystery/thriller "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"! This is one of the best mystery/thrillers I've seen in quite some time; it kept me glued to my seat throughout (and at times on the edge of my seat)! Beautiful cinematography, lots of suspense and a few twists in this dark and atmospheric gem.

Highly Recommended! A must see.

Available now from CDON.com, discshop.se and other on line shops (unfortunately there is no English friendly disc available at this time, although English subtitles may be found on the net).

More info:

At his death in November 2004 Larsson left three unpublished novels that made up the Millennium Trilogy. It became a posthumous best-seller in Europe. The other novels in the trilogy, The Girl Who Played with Fire (Swedish title: "Flickan som lekte med elden") and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (original title: "Luftslottet som sprängdes", "The Castle in the Sky that Blew Up") will also be produced by the Swedish film production company Yellow Bird.

"Men who hate women" (film title of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"), opened in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland in February-March 2009. So far, it has been seen by more than 2.5 million people in those countries. In Norway and Denmark it is the most visited Swedish film ever and in Sweden total admissions are above one million.

"Men Who Hate Women" opened in France on 13 May, in Italy and Spain on 29 May 2009.

"The girl who played with fire" will premier simultaneously in Sweden, Norway and Denmark on 18 September 2009. In Finland, the film will open one week later.

"The girl who kicked the hornets´nest" will subsequently be released 27 November 2009 in Sweden, Norway and Denmark and in Finland during January 2010.

Several rumors have been speculating on a Hollywood version of the book. Yellow Bird, executive producer Søren Stærmose confirmed in an interview with Swedish newspaper Expressen that negotiations are taking place. This would not be a US remake of the Swedish films but rather new Hollywood films based on the books. In the interview he states that the possible US films might be produced in a similar way as the Yellow Bird co-produced Wallander tv show starring Kenneth Branagh, shooting in Sweden using English-speaking actors. He also states that it is up to the director and says that the story could just as well take place in another country, like Canada. According to the The Guardian newspaper, word is that George Clooney, Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt are all interested in playing the central role of Mikael Blomkvist, has been followed by suggestions that producer Søren Stærmose, of Yellow Bird, who holds screen rights to the books, has been approached by directors including Quentin Tarantino, Ridley Scott and Martin Scorsese.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #3 of 367 Old 03-19-2010, 01:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 316
I've read all three of the novels, great stories(or story as it were as they're all linked together), and the lead female character is like no other in either books or film. Been looking forward to a US distribution of the films, hoping that they would be screened here before any Hollywood remakes came along. I suspect that after seeing Noomi Rapace in the role of Lisbeth Salander in the original Swedish films that no "Hollywood" actress will feel right in the role in the remakes.

The US theatrical release is being distributed by the film division of The Music Box Theater, the official site is here. The Music Box also has plans to release all 3 films as DVD/Blu-Ray later this year.
post #4 of 367 Old 03-19-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I suspect that after seeing Noomi Rapace in the role of Lisbeth Salander in the original Swedish films that no "Hollywood" actress will feel right in the role in the remakes.

I would agree completely. Noomi Rapace is perfect as "Lisbeth Salander". I can't think of any of the current crop of Hollywood actresses that would be right for the part.

LL
LL

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #5 of 367 Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Very good movie. I liked it a lot.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 367 Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

After seeing Allison Scagliotti in Syfy channel's Warehouse 13 the thought came to mind that she might be a good choice for the role in a US production although that may have been somewhat influenced by her role as a hacker in the show itself.

Regarding the novels, apparently there's a 4th unfinished novel where Salander is located in Canada, but the rights to it have been disputed by Larsson's family because his longtime girlfriend who is in possession of it(supposedly on his laptop), never married him.

Roger Ebert reviews the film.
post #7 of 367 Old 03-19-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After seeing Allison Scagliotti in Syfy channel's Warehouse 13 the thought came to mind that she might be a good choice for the role in a US production although that may have been somewhat influenced by her role as a hacker in the show itself.

Roger Ebert reviews the film.

Allison Scagliotti might work, but she would have to have a more 'hard core' look and attitude.

Thanks for the link to Ebert's review, I love what he says in the last paragraph:

"This is not a deep psychological study. But it's a sober, grown-up film. It has action, but not the hyperkinetic activity that passes for action in too many American movies. It has sex, but not eroticism. Its male lead is brave and capable, but not macho. Its female lead is sexy in the abstract, perhaps, but not seductive or alluring. This is a movie about characters who have more important things to do than be characters in an action thriller."

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #8 of 367 Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

That was my favorite bit in the review as well.

WRT to Scagilotti, see if you can find this episode of the summer fill-in series on FOX called 'Mental", she played a teenage girl who discovers that she was actually born a male, the role was very dark(about as dark as TV can get anyway) and I thought she pulled it off very well. I really think we'll be seeing more of her in the years to come.
post #9 of 367 Old 03-19-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WRT to Scagilotti, see if you can find this episode of the summer fill-in series on FOX called 'Mental", she played a teenage girl who discovers that she was actually born a male, the role was very dark(about as dark as TV can get anyway) and I thought she pulled it off very well. I really think we'll be seeing more of her in the years to come.

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight (I just happen to have this on my DVR).

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #10 of 367 Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great info Airboss. Thanks for the 2nd post.

Good discussion going on here. I'll elaborate more on April 2nd.

And Roger Ebert is such a great writer.

David Budo
post #11 of 367 Old 03-19-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just watched "Mental - House of Mirrors" episode and while Scagilotti was pretty good... she's no Lisbeth Salander.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #12 of 367 Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 AM

A friend recommended these books and I am currently reading this one...I am thoroughly enjoying it...can't wait to see the movie. Is it out on DVD already?
post #13 of 367 Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercity22 View Post

A friend recommended these books and I am currently reading this one...I am thoroughly enjoying it...can't wait to see the movie. Is it out on DVD already?

Yes, but no English subtitles (although you can find some on the net).

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #14 of 367 Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Amazing film, despite it having a 'fourth act.' This most certainly is a film for adults and with Hollywood gunning to make an English language adaptation of the novel, all I can say is this: I hope those plans end of crashing and burning, just like Spielberg's plans for OLD-BOY. I do not trust Hollywood with a story like this.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #15 of 367 Old 04-09-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_stevens View Post

amazing film, despite it having a 'fourth act.' this most certainly is a film for adults and with hollywood gunning to make an english language adaptation of the novel, all i can say is this: I hope those plans end of crashing and burning, just like spielberg's plans for old-boy. I do not trust hollywood with a story like this.

+1

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #16 of 367 Old 04-09-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
+1

American imperialism at its worst. We do mess around with other people's culture and mind awful lots, an indication of weakness than strength.

It's bad enough with our own remakes, like Clash of Titans, etc.
post #17 of 367 Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm usually hesitant to watch remakes but I'm interested in seeing how David Fincher would do with this. It would really be hard to top the original film which is excellent.
post #18 of 367 Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Release date in Toronto changed to the 16th. Will discuss it then.

David Budo
post #19 of 367 Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Liked: 14
I was not very impressed with this one. If you like overbearing and relentless music to tell you that SOMETHING INTENSE AND SUSPENSEFUL IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW for 90% of the movie even though nothing is really happening, then this is your movie.

Just because this is Swedish, that is no reason it should garner any comparisons to Let The Right One In.

It's reasonably well done, but overly long that they tried to make super intriguing and it comes off way too hollywood and ends up backfiring IMO because all the "intense" parts are just like crying wolf because it's actually boring (and I have ENORMOUS tolerance and a preference actually for slow movie. This would have been BETTER if they had just let this be a calm and slow detective-movie but instead they tried to fake it with stupid relentless music and relentless seriousness). And is there anyone in this movie that isn't getting raped? I mean really? Incestuous Nazi torture and rape? What else can we throw in there? Oh wait, I'm forgetting, it's incestuous Nazi torture and child rape. Yeah that'll do for a good villain. Oh wait no, I forgot a couple more, let's make it racist antisemitic incestuous Nazi corporate baron torture and child rape and religious ritual murder against women. I think that covers it. Oh wait no that's not enough, let's throw in some other crazy rapist abusers for good measure just to drive home the point. Which is what, actually? You shouldn't be a Nazi that tortures and abuses your own children or rape your sister or anally rape people you're supposed to be helping or extort people for sex, or just generally be a raving psycopath? OKAY I GET IT ALREADY. It says something when the most rewarding part of the film is watching somebody get a dildo *kicked* violently into their anus.

Just not really my cup of tea, and really not a very interesting who-done-it. I got really tired of the endless time devoted to INTENSE SUSPENSEFUL STRING INSTRUMENTS MUSIC while people are checking their email, walking around, looking at pictures, etc. I felt like I was being treated like a moron the whole movie. "OMG LETS LOOK AT THIS PICTURE!!! Look! A face!! DUN DUN DUNNNNNN!!!!!!" or "OMG I'M TYPING SOMETHING IN A WORD PROCESSOR!!!! CRIKEYS!!! WHAT TENSION!!!!!!" Or, oh wait, you're running around alone in the woods WITH MORE TENSION MUSIC, I don't expect anything to HAPPEN, I'll pretend to be SURPRISED!!

C+ if you can stand to sit through it.
post #20 of 367 Old 04-10-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Just because this is Swedish, that is no reason it should garner any comparisons to Let The Right One In.

It was not being compared to "Let the Right One In", simply stating the fact that both are from Sweden.....

"Sweden gave us the fantastic fantasy/horror/thriller "Let the Right One In" and now we get the magnificent mystery/thriller "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"!

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #21 of 367 Old 04-11-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
+1.

I enjoyed vampires more than human, except Twilight.
post #22 of 367 Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

+1.

I enjoyed vampires more than human, except Twilight.

What about boys band werewolves?
post #23 of 367 Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

It was not being compared to "Let the Right One In", simply stating the fact that both are from Sweden.....

"Sweden gave us the fantastic fantasy/horror/thriller "Let the Right One In" and now we get the magnificent mystery/thriller "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"!

Its fair to compare them since the 2 sequels is directed by Tomas Alfredsons brother Daniel Alfredson.

As for this movie and its sequel, im not so fond of them. Have Part 3 on BD at home but havnt wathced it yet.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #24 of 367 Old 04-16-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

US and UK DVD/Blu Ray release date 6 July, 2010 for US and 12 July 2010 for the UK. Available for pre-order from both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #25 of 367 Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

US and UK DVD/Blu Ray release date 6 July, 2010 for US and 12 July 2010 for the UK. Available for pre-order from both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.

Cool, I'm in.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #26 of 367 Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is my review of the film:

http://www.yorkregion.com/what's...er-from-sweden

Let me know what you think.

David Budo
post #27 of 367 Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I've got to thank everyone to bringing these books to my attention. LS is one of the best realizied characters I've ever encountered. I'll admit to wondering what all the hoopla was for after reading the first. I found it good but not all that I expected after reading the rave reviews. The Girl Who Played with Fire though...wow. The climax in the woods is one of the most vivid I've ever encounter and the mental pictures its caused out does most films I've ever seen. Can't get it out of my head.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #28 of 367 Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Apparently the American re-make has its lead:
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/...o-rooney-mara/

Wouldn't be my first choice (Ellen Page), but hopefully it will work out fine....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #29 of 367 Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Apparently the American re-make has its lead:
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/...o-rooney-mara/

Wouldn't be my first choice (Ellen Page), but hopefully it will work out fine....

I'm sorry but I just don't see Hollywood coming close to what was achieved with the original.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #30 of 367 Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I'm sorry but I just don't see Hollywood coming close to what was achieved with the original.

I don't either, but being such a fan of the novels, and at least the first of the Swedish films, I'll certainly give the American re-make a viewing.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Three Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page