Time Machine - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6222 Old 09-09-2002, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Of course you are exactly right and so is the FBI guy. But Hollywood is moving into uncharted territory. Examples are two of this season's best picture nominees (Monsters Ball and In the Bedroom). While not as intense as what I have in mind, neither had an ending that anyone could ever think of as "happy". Each put a very dark side of life on the screen. And after seeing both I felt like going out and throwing up.

It's a very morbid thought but if this movie were allowed to be made I think the hook would make it a sensation. Just the fact that this has never been done would make audiences have to go see it. And would make the media types have to talk about it.

It might even get a few more people to buckling seat belts.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6222 Old 09-09-2002, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Correction. It has just been pointed out to me that Monsters Ball was not a best picture nominee.

Bob
post #363 of 6222 Old 09-09-2002, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

I like this idea very much. It is stunning that ten times more people die every year on U.S. roads than were killed in the 9/11 travesty. The only problem I see is word might get out - sort of a spoiler-killer. I think it has a chance as a sundance/foreign/indie film idea. In a way, the public might be primed for such a 'sucker-punch' ending, as you point out, it is reality in a sense.

The only films I can think that even come close are :

(mild spoilers follow)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

'Crash' - but that had crashes throughout
'Thelma and Louise' - but that was a suicide
'Pollock' - but that really happened and had a lot of foreboding.

Maybe some new blood Tarantino needs to give it a try.

M
post #364 of 6222 Old 09-09-2002, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think you may be psychic, Moore. I actually thought of putting the 9/11 death count comparison in my post. I didn't only because references to 9/11 can still be sort of distracting. But it is remarkable that the one receives so much attention (which of course it should), while the other is now sort of relegated to the mundane. Sort of accepted as a fact of life. At least for most of us. But certainly not for the many thousands who experience it. What is chilling about it all is the thought that you or I (or any of us) could easily be next on that list.

Think about the fact that in the aftermath of 9/11 so many of us no longer want to fly in commercial airliners. Instead we're piling our families into the family car and taking long vacation trips on the highway. Think about how many of us have died since 9/11 in airliners brought down by terrorists. And think about how many have died....

Bob
post #365 of 6222 Old 09-09-2002, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

As for me, I like the movies with a good ending myself. Although I haven't crashed and died yet, I feel my life has already had enough crappy moments and I don't think watching more of the same has any entertaining value to me. I like to feel happy and good when I get up to go home or leave my theater.

By the way, I think I liked "War of the Worlds" just a little better than "The day the Earth Stood Still", although both were great films, but War of the World was in color though.

Of the more modern sci-fi films I liked both "Contact" and "1st Contact (Star Trek) the best. And both of these films had time displacement involved in the plot line.

Bob
post #366 of 6222 Old 09-09-2002, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I completely understand, Bob.
Don't worry. I don't know any filmmakers. And no filmmakers are taking cues from me. So neither one of us will have to suffer through a film like that. I like to feel happy and good too. That's enough downer stuff for one thread.

btw, I liked Contact and WOTW too. Looks like Contact was pretty well received.

Bob
post #367 of 6222 Old 09-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Gus
AVS Special Member

Hey Bob,

What happened to your avatar? It's not displaying on my screen.

Gus

EDIT: Ok, it's back
post #368 of 6222 Old 09-09-2002, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If it disappeared, Gus, it's probably because those in charge of this show may have finally seen it and realized it was just too handsome for public consumption. Don't know why it came back though.

If after reading all that crazy stuff earlier you happen to see the replay of Phil Donahue's MSNBC show which aired here during the last half hour you will see a pretty amazing coincidence when the fireman is interviewed. Really gave me the creeps.

Bob
post #369 of 6222 Old 09-11-2002, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Appearances can be very deceiving.

In a past thread you expressed your awareness of something which is so very true, Dean.
post #370 of 6222 Old 09-11-2002, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright, Bob, fill us in, what happened on Donahue?

M
post #371 of 6222 Old 09-11-2002, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hi Moore.

Hold the phone. This thread had died again. And then two more posts within two minutes. I think we're going to have to pick a spot for all of us to get together and have a drink. I suggest either Roswell, NM at the UFO Cafe. Or maybe down here in Gulf Breeze at UFO Motors (yes there is actually a used car lot down here with that name).

The Donahue thing. Well, the last time the thread died you and I were talking about 9/11 victims and car wreck victims. That evening Donahue interviewed the NYFD fireman who rescued many folks from the WTC including the NY Post photographer who took the best photos we have of ground zero during the attack. In the course of the interview that same fireman revealed that his 16 year old son was killed in a "random" car wreck in January.

Gus, maybe you should rethink riding that bike on the street. I know it's a hell of a lot of fun (I started with a Honda 50 when I was in high school}. But once it decides to put you on the pavement (or worse) it aint worth it.

Bob
post #372 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 12:08 PM
DRS
AVS Special Member

I was able to find time to look for articles on BIG oil and car companies buying/preventing technology that would reduce our dependancy on oil. As always consider the source.

Another one from that article. <--- this one seems to have the most info. Be sure to read the guys hardships. Even if it's not true it's a funny read.

and here is a link to the patent app.

edit: and another site on Pogue (more historical).

All this reeks of gimmicks but I would love to hear Dean & moores impressions on the physics of it all.
post #373 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

I believe there are two (actually three) more points I keep mulling over;

1. I wonder how much time will pass before our civilization is able to add more elements to the Periodic Table? This ofcourse ties into where future technologies may take us.

2. The development of North America. I would love to have a machine that shows a major course change in the way that this part of the world (de-)evolved. Specifically, what if the Native American cultures were always protected from outside intervention and were allowed to evolve on their own. What would the world be like today?

3. I would very much enjoy becoming the Over Lord for the proliferation of the proper use of languages in science fiction films. Language...especially English, is a terrible virus in many movies. If you can't explain it, and make it believable then don't do it!

Robert,

The Day the Earth Stood Still is probably my most anticipated release on dvd...I've never owned it in any previous format. The ability to stop time would be an incredible force. What a wonderful film.

Your idea about having the sudden death of characters after the resolution of a plot compares pretty evenly to the animated short Bambi meets Godzilla.

Ride your bike, don't ride your bike...death happens.

Howie
post #374 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

Please keep this on topic. Stop laughing. No really, stop. Try and keep the topic on the movie review or on something raised in the movie (like time travel, doh). This thread has gone so far off topic that it is just chit chat. And no, before you ask, this is not the chit chat forum.
post #375 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 01:12 PM
DRS
AVS Special Member

But don't you see Larry??? It's ALL related to time travel!

edit: BTW where is the chit-chat forum?
post #376 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

I wonder how much time will pass before our civilization is able to add more elements to the Periodic Table? This ofcourse ties into where future technologies may take us.

Since this is off topic, I'll keep it short. We already can add them, and have been able to for a long time. The problem is that they all have such large nuclei that the strong force cannot hold them together against the powerful repulsive force of the positive protons and they disintegrate very quickly. This isn't something we can do anything about. They've created quite a number of new elements beyond the naturally stable (or semi-stable) ones, but some of them don't last for even milliseconds before decaying down the periodic table.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #377 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Larry,

My apologies to you and to everyone.
I'm the one responsible for the thread going way off course. It's sometimes just so tempting to let that happen. I got so carried away I must have even started to think I was Gus' mother.
So please ignore all that nonsense. Just chalk it up to the ramblings of a diseased mind.

Bob
post #378 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 04:47 PM
DRS
AVS Special Member

I vote to move the thread so we can continue rambling
post #379 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Larry,

I've actually tried to keep all my comments directly related to this film. Obviously, this tread has made its way through quite a bit of free form flow (myself included).

However, you should know that of all the alternate world's I've visited, this is the first time that any of the various Larry's objected to the comments on this thread.

Well, I'm off to the other Time Travel forum...wish me luck!

Howie
post #380 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 06:41 PM
Gus
AVS Special Member

Hey Bob,

Thanks for caring man!

Gus
post #381 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 06:43 PM
Gus
AVS Special Member

Hey Howie,

Did the alien stop time, or just the machines in The Day The Earth Stood Still?. I haven't seen this since high school ( circa 1985) so my memory is experiencing technical difficulties. As I remember it, the people were all still moving around, but all the cars and trains and planes were grounded.

Gus
post #382 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gus,

Klaatu stopped machines. But he thoughtfully did not include the machines which would pose a danger to human life. He was a good guy through and through.

Here's a website devoted to the movie (includes a commentary by Robert Wise the film's director)

http://www.dreamerwww.com/tdtess.htm

Bob
post #383 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 06:55 PM
Gus
AVS Special Member

Oh, Hey!

I got one for you that IS related to time travel:

You know how the first thing that always comes out of one's mouth when talking about time travel is "I'll go back to yesterday and play the lottery because I already know the wining numbers"?

This is a TRUE STORY, honestly!

Well, check this out.

Last Friday, the wife and I went over to my mom's house for coffee and we got on the topic of 9/11. The wife said something like: "I'll bet the numbers 9-1-1 will show up on the lottery sometime soon"
Mom says: "I wouldn't be surprised if it happened on 9/11"
I added: "It'd be funny if it happened in NYC"

Ofcourse we didn't really BELIEVE it, since we were just musing, so we wouldn't have thought to play it.

But then we heard on the news that on 9/11, the NYC lottery wining numbers were indeed 9-1-1

For a minute there I thought, maybe I traveled through TIME and told me the numbers, then I remembered, Oh, yeah, I'm still POOR! damm those paradoxes!!!

Gus

P.S. Ok, so the end was a joke, but the conversation DID take place as described here, and 9-1-1 WERE INDEED the wining numbers in NYC on 9/11!
post #384 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Gus
AVS Special Member

WOW, DVD in 2003! I hope they do it justice.

Thanks Bob.

Gus
post #385 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Gus
AVS Special Member

HOLLY CRAP!!!

That was post number 9-1-1!!!!!! Oh Crap!!!

OK BOB, I know you have a time machine, stop screwing with my head and give me the MONEY NUMBERS ALREADY!!

Gus
post #386 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Gus!

I think even more strange is that your previous comment about the winning lottery number is your 911th post....YIKES!

The most obvious thing this entire thread points out is how sadly lacking the new version of The Time Machine is. Although not really a time travel film,
The Day the Earth Stood Still provides a relative comparison...how easy good writing wity very minimal special effects can provide for much better film making.

I'll say it again...a quality time travel film is begging to be made.

Robert,

Thanks for the link...I think I visited that site previously in one of the other alternate places.

Howie
post #387 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DRS
BTW where is the chit-chat forum?

Why, it's at www.chit-chat.com of course. Sorry, I can't move the thread there.

Bob,

There is no need to apologize to me. This isn't my thread. But how would any of you like it if people hijacked your thread? But that's different, right? Take care... and get back on topic, thanks.
post #388 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All this reeks of gimmicks but I would love to hear Dean & moores impressions on the physics of it all. [/b]

Very brief to duck under the off-topic radar: http://www.phact.org/e/dennis27.htm

Actually, it has a leetle relevance: we discussed several pages ago why time travel _might_ not work, but it's fairly hard to use the physics we know to make an absolute case against it, which is why Hawking is looking for some caulk to fill the causality hole. Things like the 'suppressed carb' are cake to debunk. Further discussion PM me.

M
post #389 of 6222 Old 09-12-2002, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Theoretical physicist Dr. Michio Kaku is going to be a guest on Art Bell's radio show tonight (Bell's show is on now and runs until 5 AM EST). www.artbell.com You can listen to the show over the internet through http://www.wabcradio.com/ by selecting the Listen Live button at the top of the page on the website.
post #390 of 6222 Old 09-17-2002, 01:13 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page