QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
I've thought more about this than probably anyone here...

What an unscientific supposition !
post #454 of 6222 Old 10-08-2002, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Well, anyone who doesn't think about it for a living anyway, and according to how many drinks they have with lunch, I might beat a few of those also :-)

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #455 of 6222 Old 10-09-2002, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Anyone having read the book will be thoroughly disappointed in either The Time Machine movie. They're not true to Wells at all, it's quite sad.
post #456 of 6222 Old 10-11-2002, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm really getting addicted to 'Odyssey 5'. I'm becoming very fond of the characters (and the actors who portray them). I'm equally entertained by the overall story and the weekly plotlines. I think I like this thing a lot.

I think you'll enjoy it but it's probably mandatory to begin with the first episode in which the basic premise is revealed.
I mention this series because time travel is integral to the story.

Bob
post #457 of 6222 Old 10-14-2002, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Since this thread has gone everywhere already, I thought you might find this interesting
Last week I sold an arcade machine on eBay called "The Mask". Many arcade machines have adopted movie themes and THIS one was made when the Jim Carrey movie was released.

Today I received an email reply from the winning bidder...

have this particular arcade machine because I wrote the screenplay for "The Mask" and this will be a great thing to have at home. The only time I ever saw one was at the NY-NY hotel in Vegas and I have wanted one ever since.

Mike Werb

After receiving his email I found THIS . It appears he wrote not only "The Mask" but also "Laura Croft: Tomb Raider" and "Face/Off" (which he co-produced) among others. This is probably the only opportunity I will ever have to get the ear of a Hollywood screenwriter. So of course I'm tempted to email him and tell him about my car wreck movie idea as goofy as it is.

Bob
post #458 of 6222 Old 10-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Gus
AVS Special Member

Wow Bob! Does this make you a hollywood insider?

Gus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #459 of 6222 Old 10-14-2002, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Slightly on topic, this month's Scientific American is themed on the current state of the state of cosmology, which gets into a lot of the thing's we've discussed here.

Dean Roddey

post #460 of 6222 Old 10-14-2002, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gus,

There's a Hollywood Avenue here in Pensacola. I can tell you the name of a couple of streets which intersect with it. That's about as close as I'll ever get to being a "Hollywood insider".

Bob
post #461 of 6222 Old 10-14-2002, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Go for it Bob. All three of the movies he's written were goofy.

Is there a Time Machine pinball game?

M
post #462 of 6222 Old 10-15-2002, 12:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

On Laura Croft, ask him how do you indicate in a script: "lots of bountiful bouncy action here", because I'm going to use that a lot in my movie when I write it.

Dean Roddey

post #463 of 6222 Old 10-15-2002, 04:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #464 of 6222 Old 10-21-2002, 06:13 PM
Gus
AVS Special Member

" "Our experiment shows that the generally held notion that nothing can move faster than the speed of light is wrong," he said."

Hey guys, here we go again!!
This is from an article in Popular Mechanics. I will post the link shortly.

Gus

post #465 of 6222 Old 10-21-2002, 06:16 PM
Gus
AVS Special Member

...And here it is.
http://popularmechanics.com/science/...s/index2.phtml

Look at the part about travelling faster than light.

Gus

post #466 of 6222 Old 10-21-2002, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. This 'group velocity' thing is a tricky business. A couple of these results have come out in the last few years. They're more honestly accounted for than Enron futures, but only just.

see:

http://www.photonics.com/Spectra/Tec...echFaster.html

"Some members of the popular press have reported that we are rebels tearing down relativity, but this is not the case. The results are consistent with relativity." -Dr. Wang

It boils down to the wave changing shape as it moves through the medium, so the front of the wave seems to exit the tube way faster than you'd expect from the wave packet's initial velocity. No one has found a way to transmit information faster than c this way, unfortunately.

No idea about the Belgian guy. Seems like I've read about negative energy somewhere connected with perpetual motion machines, though, not a good sign...

M
post #467 of 6222 Old 10-21-2002, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you read the bit about immortality? DANG. Now I'll be up all night digging into that. Thanks a lot Gus!

M
post #468 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 05:32 AM
Gus
AVS Special Member

Gus

post #469 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The business about telomeres is really interesting, I think there could be something there. Hey, if you can live forever who needs time travel? To the future anyway.

Actually, I did want to share a time travel experience I had last week. Has anybody ever had surgery where they used the amnesia type drugs? I had a couple of teeth extracted last week and the surgeon used that stuff. One minute, the nurse gave me a test dose to make sure I didn't have a reaction. I remember her saying she'd wait a few minutes to give me the rest then *snap* people were cleaning up, the doc came in and said "how's he doing"? and it was clear that it had all been over. I had been transported forward nearly 2 hours. I just wish there had been a clock on that wall so I could have seen it move instantly. Weird. No sensation of sleep, drifting off, just bang, that time never happened.

It reminded me of the flash pens from Men in Black.
Or the implanted vacation memories from Total Recall.
Or the new-memory-amnesia from Memento.
There were a couple of other movie tie-ins, but I forgot them.

M
post #470 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 08:28 AM
Gus
AVS Special Member

Moore,

I recently had exactly the same experience as you. I had minor surgery, but elected to be knocked out for it. They put in an IV, I said a couple of words to the nurse and then I woke up and it was all over. Absolutely no sense of elapsed time from pre to post surgery.
Pretty weird.

Gus

post #471 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Very disappointing, I was all set to hit on that nurse too.

Wait! Maybe I DID .. ....

Hmmmm....

M
post #472 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From THIS page that Gus provided...
"As discussion of time travel becomes less of a scientific taboo, the chances of building a time machine improve. It isn't beyond the realm of reason that by the end of the 21st century we could be entertaining guests from the 22nd."

I figure if I'm not killed in a car wreck (and of course I don't rule that out) and I stay healthy (need to quit smoking again), then I probably have another 25 or 30 years. Human cloning will probably be perfected by that time. In the meantime if I can sell enough DSS boxes on eBay then I can use that money to get someone to clone me. And as Gus' article points out we might by then be able to download our souls. So I get a clone made and upload my soul into it. Voila! I may actually be around in 2099 to witness the discovery of time travel. I hope Lance Bass doesn't beat me to it.

Bob
post #473 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It isn't beyond the realm of reason that by the end of the 21st century we could be entertaining guests from the 22nd.

The problem of course is that they only think in terms of what they hope to accomplish. They never seem to consider the things that we've discussed to death in this thread, i.e. all of the philosophical issues of why it probably can't be done because we'd already know if it ever had, and that even if it did, it would likely destroy us all due to the massive feedback loop it would cause.

Dean Roddey

post #474 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You know there are now people reading this who joined us after the two forums combined. They must be wondering what planet (or mental institution) we're from.

BUT this paragraph can be found immediately above the one I quoted...

"The theoretical possibility of traveling back in time begs the practical question: Why haven't we seen time travelers at major events, like New Year's Eve 1999? Again, Einstein offers the solution. While relativity theories don't rule out traveling backward in time, they do place limits on when you can travel. Nature won't let you travel to a date before the first time machine was built."

So they are considering what you've pointed out to some degree.

Bob
post #475 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

That's IT! I did hit on the nurse. I said "Hey, do you wanna upload your soul into a couple of clones with me?"

On a more serious note, so this last bit implies that when the first time machine is created, the universe from that point on becomes a psychotic blur of time travelers (and wormholes?). Not good.

M
post #476 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

But, if you cannot travel backwards before the time machine was built, that must be because they assume that you need that time machine to be there to get back to, i.e. you need a machine on the 'receiving end'. But, that means that you cannot travel forward either, because you cannot ever know how long the machine you build will have lasted in working order. So you'd never just be able to dial a number forward in time and go for it, because you'd have to know if the machine exists at that time, i.e. the machine obviously doesn't go with you in their scheme of things.

And, of course the same old contradictions still occur. If the past is still back there for you to go back to, where you left your machine sitting, then the past must be fixed in order to exist beyond the moment, otherwise you couldn't go back to it. This means you can never go back without changing it, so you either cannot do it at all, or you force a split and you don't really change your time, you enter a new future with all of the insane silliness that that implies which we've already discussed.

Dean Roddey

post #477 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"But, if you cannot travel backwards before the time machine was built, that must be because they assume that you need that time machine to be there to get back to, i.e. you need a machine on the 'receiving end'."

Are you sure that's what they mean here? Wasn't this concept touched on earlier in the thread? I thought it was something else that leads "them" to believe this. Something about relativity maybe or something else we assume from our current knowledge of physical "laws".

One question, Dean. If it's an obvious foregone mortal lock conclusion that time travel can never exist... then why do you think it is that brainy physicists (Einstein and Hawking to name two) have expressed their concerns about the possibility of it happening?

Bob
post #478 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Everyone thinks about it who gets into physics at all. And one reason that people 'worry' about it, is because of the very problems we raise. Time itself freaks out physicists, because its so out of the norm as a physical concept, its tied up in some strange way with causality and thermodynamics, and they don't know why, or whether it even is a thing and not just a side effect.

So of course they all think about it a lot. So many important concepts are tied up in it. And most of them also, I'm sure, understand perfectly well how dangerous it would be if it could be done.

Dean Roddey

post #479 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 06:30 PM
hob

I agree the 1960 version can't be beat by this new one.
post #480 of 6222 Old 10-22-2002, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I concur, Hob. The original film was a better one.

I enjoyed reading your Halloween link. Brings back some memories for me.

Bob
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page