ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Thank you for that (and the Bonnie Tyler clip). I had a feeling WaPo wasn't the only doin this.

Another way to enjoy your eclipse...

ADU

post #6364 of 6376 Old 08-18-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 2315
post #6365 of 6376 Old 08-18-2017, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Inimitable.
Tack likes this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #6366 of 6376 Old 08-18-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Im really looking forward to this but I am dreading the traffic. I live on a mtn and can walk one block to the bluff, only bummer is im in 99.9% totality. So I can drive 10 miles for a 40 sec totality or 35 miles for a 2 min 30 sec totality. either way its going to be a nightmare, I surely hope its all they say it is. Im not what you call a patient driver, I will be leaving my firearm at home
post #6367 of 6376 Old 08-18-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2966 Post(s)
Liked: 4124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Inimitable.

That is a very good use of a word. Too bad for us he was called back to his home world too soon.
post #6368 of 6376 Old 08-18-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
That is a very good use of a word. Too bad for us he was called back to his home world too soon.
This video of him performing The Cold Song is truly heartbreaking. Of course Purcell's haunting music helps...
post #6369 of 6376 Old 08-21-2017, 10:43 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

This is probably already too late for some folks, but I came up with my own eclipse projector, and tested it yesterday. And it seemed to work pretty well. It works on the same principle as the cereal/shoebox pinhole projectors, but allows others to enjoy the show too. This will require some adult supervision (and a little common sense) to set up.

There are two parts to the eclipse projector: the screen, and the projector.

To build the screen, start with an ordinary banker box (without the lid). Spray paint the entire inside of the box matte black. Then tape or glue a regular piece of white letter or legal-sized copy paper into the bottom of the box. Put the box on a TV tray or card table, preferably in a shady area where people can watch the show without having to stand in direct sunlight. Turn the box on its side so the white paper in the bottom faces out toward a sunlight area. This is your eclipse screen.

To build the projector, you need a small ordinary 1x magnifying mirror, preferably one that has some kind of base or hinge that will allow it to be more easily aligned to your eclipse screen.

If you have steady hands, and don't mind standing in the sun though, then any small 1x mirror will do.

First, make sure the surface of the mirror is completely clean and dust-free. Then cut or punch a small hole no larger than 1/4", and no smaller than 1/8" into a small piece of black cray paper. And tape that paper to the surface of the mirror. Then make sure the rest of the mirror is completely covered with black cray paper, except for the small hole. Avoid glossy transparent tape because that will also reflect some light. The basic idea here is to create just a small "pinhole" sized mirror that's no larger than 1/4" in size.

Put the mirror on another TV tray or card table in the direct sunlight a good distance away from your eclipse screen. And angle the mirror so that it reflects the small pinhole of sunlight onto the white paper screen inside your banker box. Make sure noone is standing in front of the mirror when you do this, because a direct reflection of the sun can also harm someone's eyes.

Aiming the mirror is probably the most difficult part of the setup. You can make it a little easier though by initially holding a white card in front of the mirror to better see where the pinhole of sunlight is being cast.

Also remember that the sun moves, and you'll actually be able to see this movement in the reflected image on your eclipse screen. And you'll need to make small periodic adjustments to either the position of the eclipse screen or the mirror to keep the image more or less centered on the screen.

The smaller the "pinhole" is on the mirror, the sharper and also the dimmer the image will be. And the farther the mirror is from the screen, the bigger, and dimmer, and more detailed the image will be. So you may want to experiment a little to find the best configuration of the two.

You could also try a magnifying mirror (5x magnification is plenty), to make a somewhat bigger image. But it may distort the shape of the sun, and make it less sharp and bright. A regular 1x mirror seemed to work best in my tests.

Be safe, have fun, and enjoy the eclipse folks.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 08-21-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #6370 of 6376 Old 08-21-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ill keep this short, if you werent able to make this one, in 7 years you have another US event. Put it on your bucket list. I spent 8 hrs in bumper to bumper traffic and would gladly do it again to get those 15 minutes leading up to and the 2 minutes of totality. Surreal and well worth the effort.
ADU likes this.
post #6371 of 6376 Old 08-21-2017, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Ill keep this short, if you werent able to make this one, in 7 years you have another US event. Put it on your bucket list. I spent 8 hrs in bumper to bumper traffic and would gladly do it again to get those 15 minutes leading up to and the 2 minutes of totality. Surreal and well worth the effort.

I have a welding helmet so this was pretty easy for me. It was fantastic and we were only like 60 percent here. This kind of stuff always makes you feel so tiny. Microscopic even. Keeps the hubris in check. Thanks Solar System!
ADU likes this.
post #6372 of 6376 Old 08-21-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So how dark did it get? Half hour till dark "dark"? Plus or minus?

Any human sacrifices? Any heads rollin' down Pyramid steps?

Gorilla Killa likes this.
post #6373 of 6376 Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't envy you sitting in traffic. But experiencing totality must've been pretty neat. Seeing people's differing reactions in the news clips was alot of fun. Some apparently got quite emotional. I heard that the on-site reporter for The Weather Channel even broke down in tears.

There was certainly alot of hype before the event. But it sounds like the actual splendor and scale of the event still caught many people a little off guard. Sometimes science is pretty cool that way.

Unfortunately some others had their eclipses rained, or clouded out, which is too bad. Though some still got to see the sky go dark.

ADU
post #6374 of 6376 Old 08-22-2017, 02:31 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

This is pretty cool. It's from the Exploratium's eclipse sonificaton. And it features some really nice close-up views of the sun during yesterday's eclipse in both white light, and hydrogen-alpha light (the more orange-hued images). You can clearly see the sun's spots, and also a nice solar prominence on the right side of the sun between 1:29:25 and ~1:50:00.

Telescope Sonification with Kronos Quartet

One word of warning though. There's some loud static at several points in the video, which is fairly ear-wrenching. The first time it occurs is at around 1 min and 20 seconds. So you might just want to turn the sound off, or listen to some Handel instead (in the next post) while watching this. These are some of the best closeup images of the eclipse that I've found though. Video is about 3 hours long btw, so feel free to skip around to check out all the different views.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 08-22-2017 at 04:15 PM.
post #6375 of 6376 Old 08-22-2017, 02:32 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

post #6376 of 6376 Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So how dark did it get? Half hour till dark "dark"? Plus or minus?

Any human sacrifices? Any heads rollin' down Pyramid steps?
It was not pitch black, Id liken it to the last few minutes right before the sun drops over the horizon, except that its a 360 sunrise around you.

Quite a few peeps I talked to that were not really thinking much of it were floored after the experience. After 2024 you'll have to travel outside the US so I would impress upon anyone who remotely thinks they are interested to take the trip.

One other thing I found interestiing is that Carbondale Illinois who was talked about quite a bit because of their location in the center of the path of totality, is yet again in the center of the path of totality in 2024 that runs from Dallas to Buffalo. Talk about the cosmic lottery wtf
ADU and Tack like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page