post #61 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 11:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

. Despite your well known tendencies toward understatement and subtlety, we figured out that you didn't like Source Code.

Sorry....I can be a bit wishy-washy at times....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 08-05-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

* Actually, I did avoid one Blunt film, the, apparently, terminally awful fantasy, Gulliver's Travels starring Jack Black. Even I have my limits.

Never seen it.
The trailers were simply too terrifying for me....

post #63 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Count me in as another EB groupie. The girl just shines, wonderful sense of humor and pathos...and those eyes...you just fall in. TAB was very enjoyable on many levels. If you buy in, you're way in. Both my wife and I were all in.

I started the WT thread awhile back. It could easily be considered a cult film.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #64 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Count me in as another EB groupie. The girl just shines, wonderful sense of humor and pathos...and those eyes...you just fall in. TAB was very enjoyable on many levels. If you buy in, you're way in. Both my wife and I were all in.

I started the WT thread awhile back. It could easily be considered a cult film.

As earlier posts have made clear, I wholeheartedly concur with your positive comments about Blunt, The Adjustment Bureau, and Wild Target, all three. Wild Target reminded me why I like AVS Forum so much, especially our DVD Movie outpost. If I hadn't seen dragonbud0's comment about Wild Target, I almost certainly would never have seen the film.

If Amazon ever puts the Wild Target BD on sale for $15 or less, I'll certainly buy it for my library. In that connection, I just preordered the Pulp Fiction BD for $13.99 and the Jackie Brown BD for $14.99. Amazon's BD prices seem to be getting more reasonable all the time. I hope the trend continues.
post #65 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Count me in as another EB groupie. The girl just shines, wonderful sense of humor and pathos...and those eyes...you just fall in.
+1
And that voice is so....so...wonderful.
I could listen and watch her talk for an eternity.
Emily Blunt.....mmmmm.....

post #66 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
+1
And that voice is so....so...wonderful.
I could listen and watch her talk for an eternity.
Emily Blunt.....mmmmm.....
When you start jonesin' on her feet, we'll start calling you Rex . Cheap shot, I know. Krazinski is a lucky guy.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #67 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When you start jonesin' on her feet, we'll start calling you Rex . Cheap shot, I know. Krazinski is a lucky guy.

I hate that f___ing guy!!!!

post #68 of 88 Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

This movie is about to come out, looks like a good combo of sci-fi and romance. Its with Matt Damon, and i like what i see of him in the trailers, i think he is good in this role.

I am gonna check this one out for sure. Here is the clip they showed as a commercial during the Superbowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akEu4kshEA8

The romance aspect of the film ruined it. In the end, it turned out to be another "Hollywood" sappy love story
post #69 of 88 Old 08-08-2011, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I saw TAB last week and I kind of like it but also not quite
My main complaint is the ending which I thought was quite boring and an issue with the plot itself.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

In the end the solution to everyones problem was to change the "plan", so it took all that to come up with the brilliant idea of changing the "plan" instead of forcing the couple apart.
If you have a "creature/entity" that is "almost" omnipotent controlling everybody, then I would think that this scenario would also have to be taken into account (that they could work together achieving the same goals).

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #70 of 88 Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
This has been uploaded to YouTube for free viewing, by Universal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7338...-button&wide=1
post #71 of 88 Old 08-08-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I have a nickel that says you will dislike SC more.

SC is reasonably good until
Spoiler  
the ridiculous Hollywood mandated "romance" element is introduced.

I watched Source Code over the weekend. While certainly flawed (especially that tacked-on ending), it's a far better movie than Adjustment Bureau.

For Source Code to be as dumb as Adjustment Bureau, it would have had to end with the revelation that:

Spoiler  
The whole thing had been God's plan as a test for the character. Vera Farmiga and Jeffrey Wright were angels, and God was the voice of his father on the phone.

And the romance angle was no more forced than the one in Adjustment Bureau either.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #72 of 88 Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

And the romance angle was no more forced than the one in Adjustment Bureau either.

I thought the romantic aspects of Source Code worked. My enjoyment of this aspect of the film, though, had far more to do with the powerful chemistry between its two charismatic stars than it did with the way it was written. This just goes to show that actors with enough talent can sometimes elevate the material they are performing.
post #73 of 88 Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

For Source Code to be as dumb as Adjustment Bureau, it would have had to end with the revelation that:

Spoiler  
The whole thing had been God's plan as a test for the character. Vera Farmiga and Jeffrey Wright were angels, and God was the voice of his father on the phone.

LOL!

Hmmm, now that I think about it....
I would have preferred your ending.

post #74 of 88 Old 08-08-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked the whole concept of...

Spoiler  

that the quasi-religous Adjustment Bureau was in fact a burearcratic establishment with low level managers tasked with maintaining the plan with little or no discretion.

that when the plan goes off the rails, senior managment is brought in mercilessly adherring to protocol in hopes that problems don't drift any further upwards in the bureacratic chain.

that the improbable romance is explained simply because the plan had been overwritten time and again with the protagonists being meant for each other. The consequences being that when they meet, the chemistry is so great that ripples screw the current version of the plan up so badly that drastic measures are required.

that the Chairman writes the details, but isn't necessarily omniscient. He/she relies on his bureacracy to keep things on track.

that when the protagonists demonstrate their desparate commitment by entering the halls with everything at stake, that the Chairman takes notice, audits his plan and adjusts his burearcracy. Senor management changes were in order.

that since the plan had been rewritten several times in the protagonist's lifetimes, this obviously happened before, perhaps often.

Thus, the chairman isn't perfect, the AB serves it's purpose, but obviously needs supervision, but what bureacracy doesn't.

...the romance being a necessary payoff to the overall, more interesting, story of the Adjustment Bureau regulating mankind's advancement and survival. I found the whole thing gave me a refreshing interior smile...an optomistic and pragmatic view of a Supreme Authority watching out for us with no preaching or maudlin trappings.

post #75 of 88 Old 08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

This has been uploaded to YouTube for free viewing, by Universal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7338...-button&wide=1

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."
Each time I see this damn message I love it more...

...what was the video about, out of curiosity?
post #76 of 88 Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."
Each time I see this damn message I love it more...

...what was the video about, out of curiosity?

It was the entire film.
post #77 of 88 Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
A sleepy little thriller about man's destiny that's more "fi" than "sci". While it has "dramatic urgency" in places, there's just no real feeling of danger. Terence Stamp is supposed to be a "bad mo-fo", but there's nothing scary about him at all. Liked it, nonetheless.

4 out of 5 stars

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #78 of 88 Old 09-04-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Yes, and Michael Buble was an idiot...

Robert Clark
post #79 of 88 Old 09-05-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

A sleepy little thriller about man's destiny that's more "fi" than "sci". While it has "dramatic urgency" in places, there's just no real feeling of danger. Terence Stamp is supposed to be a "bad mo-fo", but there's nothing scary about him at all. Liked it, nonetheless.

4 out of 5 stars

I agree that The Adjustment Bureau has some weaknesses but nevertheless succeeds as an entertaining film. I think most of that is owed to fine performances by its stars, Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. As noted in earlier posts, I was particularly impressed by their white hot chemistry in their scenes together. Also as noted earlier, I am a huge Emily Blunt fan. She can breathe life into anything.
post #80 of 88 Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I finally got around to seeing this one. I think that the ending was a cop out but otherwise it was quite interesting. If it wasn't for the requirement to have a happy ending to EVERY FREAKING movie made, they should have declared their love for each other and jumped. And I thought that it set up some potential situations that weren't explored at all.

I also thought that, ultimately, Source Code was better. A lot of it had to do with Jake's performance, which was very good in that I thought, all the main four actors actually were quite good in that one. And the story, though still fantastical, was more grounded in at least potential science fact. Not that the actors in this one weren't good, but I just don't think that the movie gave them as much to bite into.

BTW, PKD has been a pretty prodigious creator of stories that have become head space movies. How many movies have been based on his stories now?

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #81 of 88 Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

I also thought that, ultimately, Source Code was better. A lot of it had to do with Jake's performance, which was very good in that I thought, all the main four actors actually were quite good in that one. And the story, though still fantastical, was more grounded in at least potential science fact. Not that the actors in this one weren't good, but I just don't think that the movie gave them as much to bite into.

BTW, PKD has been a pretty prodigious creator of stories that have become head space movies. How many movies have been based on his stories now?

Despite my fondness for The Adjustment Bureau generally and Emily Blunt in particular, I agree that Source Code is a better film. By the way, after I saw The Adjustment Bureau, I read the Philip K. Dick short story, The Adjustment Team, and discovered that it is very different from the film which was "based on" it.
post #82 of 88 Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:

Despite my fondness for The Adjustment Bureau generally and Emily Blunt in particular, I agree that Source Code is a better film. By the way, after I saw The Adjustment Bureau, I read the Philip K. Dick short story, The Adjustment Team, and discovered that it is very different from the film which was "based on" it.

I think I like both movies equally. But there's one thing in The Adjustement bureau that's lacking in Source Code, it's the amazing, palpable chemistry of the lead characters. And frankly, Emily Blunt is just irresistible! But after all they're different movies and I like them both for different reasons I guess.
post #83 of 88 Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Source Code is a better film.

+1

Quote:

Emily Blunt is just irresistible!

Don't get me started on her again, I have already embarrassed myself enough as it is....

post #84 of 88 Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think I like both movies equally. But there's one thing in The Adjustement bureau that's lacking in Source Code, it's the amazing, palpable chemistry of the lead characters. And frankly, Emily Blunt is just irresistible! But after all they're different movies and I like them both for different reasons I guess.

Although I did like Source Code slightly better than The Adjustment Bureau, I agree that Matt Damon and Emily Blunt were great together. I think it's fair to say that both of them are charismatic. Blunt is just about my favorite young actress. I have about become convinced that she can do no wrong.
post #85 of 88 Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

My attitude regarding SC is well documented in that thread. TAB has very few plotholes regarding it's logical fantasy premise. The romance so many object to is the framework that enlightens and exposes the Bureau. If you don't get this or appreciate the performances of the two leads, the movie will disappoint. I've seen it a couple of times on premium channels and still think it's one of the better films from last year. SC didn't work for me on so many levels, I don't see the comparison.

post #86 of 88 Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The movie had great potential, but they blow it with the ending.
post #87 of 88 Old 05-11-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I watched it again, and enjoyed it more this time around. However, it also struck me that the whole premise is based on an enormous inconsistency.

Spoiler  
These folks constantly are getting instant information about what is going on, and can easily communicate with each other, even if it just means using play old human technology. And yet, somehow, Harry can't even pick up the phone to call them and warn them that the Congressman is on the way to the office so that they can do something about it.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #88 of 88 Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

The movie had great potential, but they blow it with the ending.

IMO, Hollywood has not been kind to the works of Phillip K. Dick
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page