Help from SciFi film scholars about a little known 80's film? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I was younger back in the early 80's I remember seeing a science fiction and horror film about a mummy like space alien that was either discovered and came back to life or came down from outer space. It was rather creepy because he would not walk but just float about a foot above the ground. I think overall he/she "IT" had a good cause but it ended up hurting some bad people in the process. It was moderately gory for its time period. It was not a hit and it ended leaving you hanging for a sequel but for whatever reason one was never made.

I am trying to find the name of this movie so I can research it further and possibly pick it up on DVD or whatever format it exist in. It had a rather simple title like "Space Mummy", "Mummy Traveler", "Space Traveler" or something along those lines but searching came up empty. Interestingly I have not seen it on any 80's sci fi horror movie listing either. It came out during a time period when the market was flooded with "B" Sci Fi and horror films. So it might have slipped through the cracks.

I was hoping someone here might remember the movie I am talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Rob

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The name of the Move is " Time Walker". Made in 1982.

Rob
Old 07-03-2010, 06:36 AM

I wonder how I missed seeing this, Ben Murphy playing a professor! A PG rating on this type of film seem a little out of place. It also doesn't get very good reviews:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084796/
Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The same basic plot was used in the earlier film The Dark (1979). Whereas Time Walker makes you squirm, the earlier film is so bad, it's good. William Devane plays a '40's style film noir detective and delivers his lines with a straight face. There is a classic appearance by character actor Keenan Wynn. Cathy Lee Crosby plays a fame-seeking TV reporter, she has some lines that will make you howl with laughter:

Cathy Lee: "Look at the ratings!"

Keenan Wynn: "Well of course. Half of the male population of LA is staying up all right trying to figure out a way to get into your pants!"

Then there is the last line of the film: "Some Close Encounters will not be friendly ones".

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

The name of the Move is " Time Walker". Made in 1982.

Rob

OMG....that's it!!

Thank you a Million

I asked my mom yesterday who actually took me to see it way back in 1982 and she remembers the movie well. She liked it a lot since my mom is a big sci fi fan. She mentioned the mummy thing was a time traveler and thought the name was Time Traveler but that was not it. She had it almost right.

I am sure now days this film goes down in history as total 80's B movie cheese but from what I can remember it was pretty good. It really did slip through the cracks since its not on any sci fi or horror movie list. Even found a web site that listed all sci fi/horror films from the 80's by year and it had some pretty odd stuff on it. No Time Walker though!!

Sadly its not available on DVD. Only used VHS witch I no longer have the capability of using.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

OMG....that's it!!

Thank you a Million

I asked my mom yesterday who actually took me to see it way back in 1982 and she remembers the movie well. She liked it a lot since my mom is a big sci fi fan. She mentioned the mummy thing was a time traveler and thought the name was Time Traveler but that was not it. She had it almost right.

I am sure now days this film goes down in history as total 80's B movie cheese but from what I can remember it was pretty good. It really did slip through the cracks since its not on any sci fi or horror movie list. Even found a web site that listed all sci fi/horror films from the 80's by year and it had some pretty odd stuff on it. No Time Walker though!!

Sadly its not available on DVD. Only used VHS witch I no longer have the capability of using.

Scarecrow has this on VHS. They also rent VHS machines for like $4.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Scarecrow has this on VHS. They also rent VHS machines for like $4.

Scarecrow...I sadly forgot about this place and its no fault of them. I used to hit it up on occasion during the Laserdisc days. They are known for having everything released on video and for odd films they are really the only game in town.

Interesting rumor I picked up on another forum is Shout Factory has acquired the rights to this film and it will be getting a future DVD release. Exactly when is anyone's guess but hopefully sooner rather then later.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

Scarecrow...I sadly forgot about this place and its no fault of them. I used to hit it up on occasion during the Laserdisc days.

Me, too! Used to go there at least once a month for my LD needs, but haven't been back in years.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

Old 07-05-2010, 03:52 PM

Mystery Science Theater 3000 did this movie in season four. The movie was renamed Being from Another Planet. That is probably why Shout Factory wanted the rights, so that they can release the MST3K version.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 PM

It was called Timeline , Timescape or something , I don't even think the Space Mummy was the main focal point of the movie , might have been. I remember there was a scene where scientists or so revive him , he gets up eyes glowing wrapped in bandages and thing was it was a Robot? or Alien ? Or something cant quite remember either. Possibly mid or early 80s I think.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM

It was about time portals or something.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 PM

I could be wrongish in same exact movie but I think that's the only space n time mummy movie from that era I can think of.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 PM

thanks THATS the one , Mad Cool.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 968