post #31 of 59 Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Has anyone actually seen this movie?

I just got back from it.

It is being touted as the best use of 3D ever.

I was lucky enough when I lived in California to be able to attend the SabuCat 3-D festivals in 2003 and 2006, and in 2006 I bought the $300 pass and saw virtually everything they showed over the two weeks or so.

Hugo is probably the most beautiful 3-D film I have ever seen- as good as House of Wax or It Came From Outer Space or the little 3-D film they showed at Marineland or the B&W shorts from England around the time of Elizabeth's coronation, or, more recently, Coraline or How to Train Your Dragon. Scorcese knows when to let things recede into the frame, and when to let things push out- primarily in tight closeups, especially Sasha Baron Cohen's closeups, and in footage from the recreations of the old films, with swords and spears coming out at you, and a runaway train, and snow and fireworks and smoke.

It's a film shot with the two cameras. It just looks right, and the film is, as lordcloud says, a love letter to film, and film preservation, and to Michael Powell, who Scorcese helped the world rediscover much in the way things turn out in Hugo (and whose wife Thelma Schoonmaker is Scorcese's long-time editor). The film itself is emotional and lovely and an instant classic, 3-D or flat.

You could wait on it on Blu-Ray, but home 3-D is arguably not yet ready for prime time. I for one intend to see it again in the theater, and soon.

CW Hinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Saw this yesterday. Of all the films so far this year, this is the one that deserves to be seen. Sure an ode to film and the early filmmakers, but done so beautifully. We thought Hugo was fantastic. And the best use of 3-D since Avatar.
post #33 of 59 Old 12-17-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Saw this today in RealD with my 9 year old and my 5 year old. My wife and my 9 year old absolutely loved it and can't wait to see it again. My 5 year old really liked it for the most part, but at just over 2 hours and filled with sentimental scenes, she definitely became fidgety at times. There were times though that I could tell she was completely engaged. I would recommend this film for anyone 7 to 107.

As for me, I thought it was just a few marks shy of being a masterpiece. It was certainly a fantastic experience, but I did feel there were times where it was so caught up in the sentiment and nostalgia of old film that it became slightly self-pleasing. Anyway, minor criticisms aside I am really glad I saw it.

Scorcese's love-letter to film is appropriately filled with wonder and amusement. The performances are pretty much perfect and nuanced all around, and the set pieces are incredible. The use of 3D is among the best I've ever experienced, and has much more character to it than any other use I've seen. The affection for old film was touching and one of the few times I've ever felt empathy for such nostalgia. Seeing some of these classic scenes on the big screen with the recreation of their original viewings was extremely interesting, as was the "behind-the-scenes" view of their productions as they are fondly recollected.

Finally, I had heard an interview with Scorcese where he had talked about how this was based on a true story. Having seen the trailer, I didn't see how this could be possible. But, after seeing the movie, I went on Wikipedia and found the following. Reading that puts the whole film in a new perspective for me. This truly is a wonderful merging of fantasy and reality, of history and story-telling. Do yourselves a favor and go see it with people you love this holiday season.
post #34 of 59 Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw it for the third time yesterday. You notice new things each time you see it- I had barely noticed the fine score by Howard Shore or the excellent sound design the first time I saw it. And if one is familiar with the way he looked, James Joyce can be spotted briefly in the cafe (on the left side of the screen) during the first chase, shortly before the (extremely brief) opening credits. I notice the wiki entry mentioned Django Reinhardt (who is quite obvious) and Salvador Dali, who I did not notice.

See it before the Christmas movies squeeze it out of the 3_D theaters!

CW Hinkle
post #35 of 59 Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I saw it for the third time yesterday. You notice new things each time you see it- I had barely noticed the fine score by Howard Shore or the excellent sound design the first time I saw it. And if one is familiar with the way he looked, James Joyce can be spotted briefly in the cafe (on the left side of the screen) during the first chase, shortly before the (extremely brief) opening credits. I notice the wiki entry mentioned Django Reinhardt (who is quite obvious) and Salvador Dali, who I did not notice.

See it before the Christmas movies squeeze it out of the 3_D theaters!

Was it that good to see it that many times!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #36 of 59 Old 12-20-2011, 12:51 AM

Liked: 10
Does the 3d in Hugo force your point of focus to specific parts of the screen that are in focus or is it a more general forcing of focus.

In other words does it force your focus like Tahiti IMAX 3D or like Avatar IMAX 3D?
post #37 of 59 Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Was it that good to see it that many times!

Maybe a home 3-D system is in my future, but the technology is expensive and in its infancy. I found the 3-D so remarkable I wanted to see it several times. And the film itself is emotionally rich and satisfying too.

Does the 3d in Hugo force your point of focus to specific parts of the screen that are in focus or is it a more general forcing of focus.

It does determine where one concentrates his or her attention using the 3-D. The most startling use of this is with Sacha Baron Cohen's face in one shot, where the closeup is tight, and Scorcese uses the 3-D to have his face project out towards the audience, becoming even more threatening. He does this several times with the character's Doberman to considerable comic effect.

He also has a few sword-out-towards-the-audience effects, and there was a bit of post-production 3-D work on vintage film (and color and 3-D added to what was surely a vintage WWI clip of soldiers walking past the camera).

On several occasions I shut one eye during scenes, and they really seemed to "flatten," in that not only was there no 3-D, there was no other means used to isolate the characters in the foreground from the background other than the 3-D process, no use of putting one plane in focus and the rest out of focus or changing the lighting or other methods used and developed over years of cinematography.

As to how it compares to 3-D IMAX stuff, I don't know; I have never seen any. The IMAX theater that shows 3-D is twenty or thirty miles away from me (the other one that shows the documentaries is a half-mile)

CW Hinkle
post #38 of 59 Old 12-25-2011, 06:04 PM

Thank you for your reply.

It was very helpful.

Time to have a look for myself!
post #39 of 59 Old 12-29-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

post #40 of 59 Old 03-03-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Watched the 2D BD tonite.
BTW, terrific AV quality IMO.

Movie starts a little slow.
Primarily because the 2 child actors are not consistently right (for different reasons) in their roles.
The boy's acting skills are not well-honed and there is little charisma, but the emotion delivered is convincing.
Miss Chloe is often too slick, too mannered in her role, too obvious she is acting and not channeling her character with conviction.
Also, it seemed the "accent" was making her too self-conscious.
My guess is Scorcese doesn't really know how to work with child performers.
There is no way he would have let adult actors get by with similiar efforts.

In contrast, all of the adult actors are superb.
Particularly, Sir Ben and Borat Mr. Cohen.

The music is excellent and, seemingly, constant in the soundtrack, and adds wonderful audio ambience to the film.
Howard Shore delivers.....again.

Overall, this is a clever and charming movie.
Visually imaginative and worth at least one viewing.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #41 of 59 Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Terrific AV quality IMO.

The movie starts a little slow.
Primarily because the 2 child actors are not consistently right (for different reasons) in their roles.
The boy's acting skills are not well-honed and there is little charisma, but the emotion delivered is convincing.
Miss Chloe is often too slick, too mannered in her role, too obvious she is acting and not channeling her character.
It also seemed the "accent" was making her too self-conscious.
My guess is Scorcese doesn't really know how to work with child performances.

As a contrast, all of the adult actors were superb.

The music is excellent...and, seemingly, constant in the soundtrack.

Thanks for that oink

Frank

post #42 of 59 Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Watched the 2D BD last night. Wow! What an incredible piece of filmmaking. There is so much going on in practically every shot that you can’t take it all in. This will require another viewing in the future. Maybe by then I’ll have gotten 3D glasses to view it on my new 65” plasma. Wow! Just friggin’ wow!

The story was very good, not great, and I got more comfortable with the boy as it went along. SBC provided a few good laughs along the way.

Excellent SQ. The PQ seemed to vary. Sometimes it was very good, and then it was just average. I’m glad Hugo won for best cinematography because I’ve seldom seen anything that captured my attention as this.
post #43 of 59 Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Maybe by then I'll have gotten 3D glasses to view it on my new 65 plasma.

Which one you have?
I have been thinking of something around 80 inches...

Quote:

The story was very good, not great, and I got more comfortable with the boy as it went along.

+1

Quote:

I'm glad Hugo won for best cinematography because I've seldom seen anything that captured my attention as this.

For me, Malik's film captured my attention much more...

post #44 of 59 Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:

Which one you have?
I have been thinking of something around 80 inches...

The Panasonic GT30. Decided against the VT30 because I didn't want to spend the extra money and didn't need the added bells and whistles. The GT came with THX, which was important to me. Great looking set and image. I can't believe the difference in comparison to my 50" Panny from '03. It took 2 years for me to convince the wife we needed a new one. I'm still not sure she is convinced, but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

I'll have it pro calibrated next month.
post #45 of 59 Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Not impressed after watching it with my family...Now watching the Help last night was a whole 'nother story! Three or 4 women in that great flick deserved SA Oscars! ** out of **** for Hugo....
post #46 of 59 Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

The Panasonic GT30. Decided against the VT30 because I didn't want to spend the extra money and didn't need the added bells and whistles. The GT came with THX, which was important to me. Great looking set and image.

I do have a Panny Plasma from a few years back and love its performance.
Because of that, I am thinking of replacing my Mits. DLP in the HT with a plasma.
Mainly because I have yet to be completely WOWed by an FP that doesn't cost 60 jillion bucks.

Quote:

I can't believe the difference in comparison to my 50" Panny from '03. It took 2 years for me to convince the wife we needed a new one. I'm still not sure she is convinced, but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

Just do what I do...I tell my gal there are some purchases not open to debate (i.e., cars, boats, fishing stuff, BDs, HT hardware....and of course, my bar bill).

post #47 of 59 Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Bought the 3D 3Disc Set, i thought it was pretty good although not as good as had imagined. I guess I set my expectations way too high. The movies 3D effects were average at best ...IMO
post #48 of 59 Old 03-04-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I saw it in theaters 2 days ago in 3D and I still can't stop thinking about it. I loved it from beginning to end. I loved the performances from everyone, but especially Asa Butterfield and Ben Kingsley. Scorsese did an amazing job of using every tool he had available. The 3D was perfect. Tons of depth, which is what I want from 3D.

David Budo
post #49 of 59 Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tonite I re-watched Cinema Paradiso; it is the perfect companion movie to Hugo.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095765/
Strongly recommended as a follow-up (or opening act) to a Hugo viewing.

As fine as Hugo is, it is not in the same emotional league as CP (IMO).
CP is a classic as far as I am concerned....a tear-jerker of the first degree.

post #50 of 59 Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

BTW, terrific AV quality IMO.

Movie starts a little slow.
Miss Chloe is often too slick, too mannered in her role, too obvious she is acting and not channeling her character with conviction.
Also, it seemed the "accent" was making her too self-conscious.
My guess is Scorcese doesn't really know how to work with child performers.

In contrast, all of the adult actors are superb.

The music is excellent and, seemingly, constant in the soundtrack, and adds wonderful audio ambience to the film.
Howard Shore delivers.....again.

Overall, this is a clever and charming movie.
Visually imaginative and worth at least one viewing.

We watched the BD last week and while it was good, I wasn't inspired. I didn't know why, but perhaps your comments about the child actors, in retrospect, was the reason. I also think that very well done 3D would have put the experience over the top, but without not so much. A nice little tale, well done, but easily forgotten for me.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #51 of 59 Old 03-11-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I didn't know why, but perhaps your comments about the child actors, in retrospect, was the reason.

Sorry about that...
Should I have used SPOILER TAGS?

post #52 of 59 Old 03-11-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

An all-time favorite of mine. I've seen it numerous times, and I'm sure I'll cry the next one! This story is so moving, and Morricone's music...a masterpiece. Have you seen the extended DC cut btw?
post #53 of 59 Old 03-11-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

An all-time favorite of mine. I've seen it numerous times, and I'm sure I'll cry the next one! This story is so moving, and Morricone's music...a masterpiece. Have you seen the extended DC cut btw?

No, just the cut on the BD.

post #54 of 59 Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Saw it last night on BD (2D). Visuals were impressive and loved the style. I felt the story itself was good (as someone else mentioned, a love letter to the silent film era).

Differing from the crowd, I just thought the movie as a whole was just ok. I found myself getting bored with the story (or rather how much it dragged on), and just in it for the visuals and the recreation of some of the silent films. I'm glad I watched it, but don't really have a desire to watch it second time.

The trailer was also woefully misleading (not that that's not typical of course, just pointing it out).
post #55 of 59 Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Sorry about that...
Should I have used SPOILER TAGS?

No, I saw the film before I read your comments.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #56 of 59 Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Saw it last night on BD (2D). Visuals were impressive and loved the style. I felt the story itself was good (as someone else mentioned, a love letter to the silent film era).

Differing from the crowd, I just thought the movie as a whole was just ok. I found myself getting bored with the story (or rather how much it dragged on), and just in it for the visuals and the recreation of some of the silent films. I'm glad I watched it, but don't really have a desire to watch it second time.

The trailer was also woefully misleading (not that that's not typical of course, just pointing it out).

Very well done movie. The costumes, sets and arranging all the extras - very slick - and nice not to think every thing is green screen. The vibe was very "old fashioned" and much different than the normal CGI fest. Interesting to me, of the eight folks in my viewing party, two were really moved by it, four thought it was solid and two were bored.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #57 of 59 Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 42
I agree with many others here. I watched it in 2D BD in my theater this past weekend. It was a visually beautiful film with fair acting and a reasonably good story but it wasn't a great film IMO. I am unlikely to watch it again.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #58 of 59 Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Completely agree with this. Just watched Hugo on BD earlier tonight and while I agree it has some spectacular visuals, its celebration of early cinema and message of film preservation felt rather heavy-handed and almost tacked on. It was almost like the movie just melded into a DVD extra documentary. Or like the end of Matrix Reloaded where the Architect gives that ridiculously wordy speech telling you what exactly is going on (ok maybe not quite that bad). Cinema Paradiso, on the other hand, was pure magic and nostalgia for me all the way to (and especially at) the end
post #59 of 59 Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
God almighty,..are you serious? best picture?? you've got to be kidding....could not keep my eyes open. Kept nodding off numerous times until finally the credits came up thank god it's over.

Watched Young adult just prior and thought it was a trip but at least it was quirky and DID NOT put you to sleep for crying out loud.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page