AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Who wouldn't think he's been blessed by the gods of whatever. Stupid? wink.gif

Actually it's rumored it was a deal with the devil.

Anyway I was thinking where along the way did John McClane become a superhero? In spite of the beating he took in the original Diehard it was at least semi-plausible.

Did it start in Die Hard 2 with the cockpit ejection and the hand to hand combat on the wing of a jumbo jet? Or was it the subway explosion and the long cable swing with Samuel Jackson in Die Hard 3? Most definitely by the time we get to the balls-to-the-wall action pieces in Live Free or Die Hard he has achieved super human status. There is nowhere for McClane to go but into more and more extravagant stunts and forget the story.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 193 Old 02-14-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Ouch.

A squirrel has been eating my tomatoes, so I took my AK-47 and shot him with an armor-piercing bullet. Unfortunately, it also went through my neighbor's car and his neighbors SUV before being stopped by a propane truck filling his neighbors tank. Half of the neighborhood is now gone, but so is that damn squirrel.
post #93 of 193 Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
You guys are missing the twist. McClane is the secret identity of David Dunn. M KNIGHT FTW
post #94 of 193 Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Here are 2 review marks from Comingsoon.net and it's not good. At least it will be on video super quick.

Scott Chitwood: 5.5/10
Edward Douglas: 4/10
post #95 of 193 Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

9% at Rottentomatoes so far. Ouch! Things are not looking good for this one.
The user rating is 82% however
post #96 of 193 Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Forget Rotten Tomatoes. Someone go out, take one for the team, and then get back to us. biggrin.gif

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #97 of 193 Old 02-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 631
That will be me! biggrin.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #98 of 193 Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Here are 2 review marks from Comingsoon.net and it's not good. At least it will be on video super quick.

Scott Chitwood: 5.5/10
Edward Douglas: 4/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold2040 View Post

The user rating is 82% however

Like I said the series was ruined after 4. now its a bunch of mess that belongs in an iron man movie or something
post #99 of 193 Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Bass Enabler

I'll be seeing this in an hour.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #100 of 193 Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I saw this earlier today. It just seemed like bombastic spectacle for bombastic spectacle's sake. Maybe it'll be decent theater demo material but as something for repeat watching for the story? Leaning towards... no.

post #101 of 193 Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just saw this today. man oh man what a disappointment. Let me first preface that I missed the first 10-15min, but being the trailers pretty much showed what those 10-15min were, i really don't think i missed very much.

For starters, this is not the John McClane I wanted- this is more of a cranky, gun blazing, traffic destroying, semi-retired wacko with no real reason to be there, other than to keep saying he's "on vacation". His son is even worse- as Jim Rome would describe it- "wooden and laconic"

The action scenes were over blown and flashy just for the sake of flashy, as if to tell the audience "yeah, they let us do this, so we'll crash as many cars and shoot up as many buildings in Moscow as we can!" it felt like a third-rate Michael Bay sequence, and i'm being generous.

Those looking for DH1 or even DH4 will come away unimpressed by the end result. And don't get me started on HUGE logistical issues, such as seeing a parked helicopter across the street on clearly another building, and somehow the bad guy can exit that room(which is on the top floors), go down to the lobby, cross the street to the other building, go up the elevator to the roof, and board the helicopter, all within 3-5 min. Or even better, portraying Chernobyl almost like a suburb of Moscow...Uh, no.

And I think it goes for a majority of guys who play video games, any Chernobyl or Pripyat scenes will always be referenced against Modern Warfare 1, and any imagery that doesn't match the desolation MW1 portays is total letdown.

Also, the bad guys were totally awful. Even actual Russians would tell you that those bad guys looked like idiots. Hans Gruber you will never have an equal...

This was a movie I really had high hopes for, but fell flat on its face scene after scene.Some of you might like it and have better results. But for me, it the Jar-Jar Binks of the whole series right now.

3/10

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #102 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Kind of feels like a huge CGI blur like Transformers was based on the things I'm reading. Without having seen it I can say if the effects were practical it might be better and take that superhero element out.
post #103 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The first Die Hard har excellent script, acting, directing, editing, music, soundtrack, camera etc etc.

The second and third movie, hold up very well. Somehow they managed to keep the atmosphere of the first movie.

This was all lost in the fourth movie. While the technical aspect was alright as in PQ and AQ. The artistic aspect lacked in most areas.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #104 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 531
I think the local fishwrap's headline review of this movie pretty well sums it up: "Die, Die Hard, Die". tongue.gif
post #105 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Honest to god I'm NOT expecting DH 1 or 2 ok but for the love of god why the studios force out trash like this to loyal fans is not OK at all. If they don't have something minimum in story line or entertainment value then just keep their garbage to themselves until they have something like DH 3 or LFODH at least. This is obviously even worst than DH 3 so NOT ACCEPTABLE. So now DH 6 will be seen by nearly nobody because this crap.
post #106 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

The first Die Hard har excellent script, acting, directing, editing, music, soundtrack, camera etc etc.

The second and third movie, hold up very well. Somehow they managed to keep the atmosphere of the first movie.

This was all lost in the fourth movie. While the technical aspect was alright as in PQ and AQ. The artistic aspect lacked in most areas.

I completely agree. People rag on the third Die Hard, but I think it is the best entry after the first film. The fact that McClane wasn't too confident about himself really helped, and the villains were good. The existing story was adapted well enough to make a good Die Hard flick.
post #107 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think the local fishwrap's headline review of this movie pretty well sums it up: "Die, Die Hard, Die". tongue.gif
Sorry to disappoint, but BW has said there will be one more in the franchise before it receives last rites.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #108 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Sorry to disappoint, but BW has said there will be one more in the franchise before it receives last rites.

That probably depends on how this one performs. In other words, in typical "blockbuster" fashion, they're going to milk this cow until it runs dry. Unless it's already dry; we can only hope. wink.gif
post #109 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

That probably depends on how this one performs. In other words, in typical "blockbuster" fashion, they're going to milk this cow until it runs dry. Unless it's already dry; we can only hope. wink.gif
I am quite sure it will be resurrected someday without BW...some things just Die Hard.

post #110 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Bass Enabler

Meh. You guys are a bunch of scroogy hum-bugs. I thought this was a lot of fun!

Was it a lesser Die Hard? Yeah. Was it absolutely terrible and worth all the unnecessarily low scores? Hell no! This was a fun action romp, I'm sorry. Just turn off your brain and don't expect it to be Die Hard 1. Those are such unrealistic expectations. It's guaranteed to be terrible if you're looking at it that way.

So yeah, it wasn't super great but for an action movie it was pretty damn good! The action set pieces were first rate. The dialog felt more natural from Willis not being cut down to a PG13 rating. The story was a bit weak and the villian was a bit meh so yeah of the Die Hard's this would be the lesser of the bunch. It was however still enjoyable.

I'll buy it for sure.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #111 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I agree with Scott, it was fun. But as a Die Hard film, it was a bit disappointing too. Not that was expecting another Die Hard 1, yet I think they sort of underused the John McClane character in that one. He was just there with his one-liners and blowing stuff up. Almost felt like he was a sidekick at times. John McClane can be a lot of things, but dammit not a sidekick! wink.gif As Roger Ebert said in his review, "we're told another "Die Hard" is in the works. I remember sighing when I heard there was another "Rocky" movie due in 2006 — but "Rocky Balboa" turned out to be a surprisingly powerful and worthy final chapter in a franchise that had lost its way. Here's hoping the next "Die Hard" provides a similar kind of redemption. John McClane deserves a much stronger salute as he rides off into the sunset." I completely agree with him, McClane deserves a better film before retiring.
post #112 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
The sixth installment will be entitled, "Hurry Up And Die Hard Already!" cool.gif

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #113 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Meh. You guys are a bunch of scroogy hum-bugs. I thought this was a lot of fun!

Was it a lesser Die Hard? Yeah. Was it absolutely terrible and worth all the unnecessarily low scores? Hell no! This was a fun action romp, I'm sorry. Just turn off your brain and don't expect it to be Die Hard 1. Those are such unrealistic expectations. It's guaranteed to be terrible if you're looking at it that way.

So yeah, it wasn't super great but for an action movie it was pretty damn good! The action set pieces were first rate. The dialog felt more natural from Willis not being cut down to a PG13 rating. The story was a bit weak and the villian was a bit meh so yeah of the Die Hard's this would be the lesser of the bunch. It was however still enjoyable. I'll buy it for sure.
I like nothing more to agree with you BUT when the rotten tomatoes score fall under 20% there's no salvation. I've never seen anything remotely watchable under 20%...that's pretty much the pits.

12% on RT right now, 6% yesterday. That's enough to scare off any die-hard Die Hard fan. Die Hard: Rigor Mortis.
post #114 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

+1

Umm... Bruce gotta 2 Ex Thingi Payment .... Gotta Bunch a Houzes Un Stuff ... Um, oh yeah .... Gotta Eat!!
Yippie Ky ... Well U Know ... Red 2 & 3 ... Hey 4 sounds good ... Love my agent long time wink.gif
post #115 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Liked: 12
Was this movie secretly produced by Michael Bay biggrin.gif?!

BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!! POW POW POW!!!!!! BAM!!!!!KABLOOOOOOM!!!!!! biggrin.gif

They really cranked up the volume a couple ticks too high in the IMAX theater, really blasting the speakers!

It was fun though, with the Bay inspired chaos!
post #116 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Umm... Bruce gotta 2 Ex Thingi Payment .... Gotta Bunch a Houzes Un Stuff ... Um, oh yeah .... Gotta Eat!!
Yippie Ky ... Well U Know ... Red 2 & 3 ... Hey 4 sounds good ... Love my agent long time wink.gif
LOL!!!

post #117 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I think I figured out what's wrong with this franchise.

In a fair fight, who wins - Batman or McClane?

The answer is the problem. Obviously McClane wins, and that's just not right. But it's true.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #118 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just give me a McClane vs Predator movie.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #119 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 PM

Liked: 12
Couldn't remember where I saw McClane's daughter before. First I thought it was the same actress that played Liam's daughter in Taken. They look alike smile.gif. No, she played Abe's wife in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.
post #120 of 193 Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I think I figured out what's wrong with this franchise.

In a fair fight, who wins - Batman or McClane?

The answer is the problem. Obviously McClane wins, and that's just not right. But it's true.
Quote:

Just give me a McClane vs Predator movie.
Nice ones....biggrin.gif

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page