Zack Snyder to direct next Superman movie: Man of Steel - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1022 Old 06-14-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Just got back from seeing this and i will just post some brief comments so I can get the grill started for dinner smile.gif

I'll get right to it. It was a decent movie with some great effects and strong audio however it DID NOT feel like a Superman movie to me. There was far too much Matrix like scifi elements blended with a end of the world film feel. There were moments that I felt like I was watching a new Superman movie but most of them were gone by the second half. Cavill makes an excellent Superman and did a fantastic job as did Crowe. I have no complaints about Zod given his "purpose". The score was lacking for a origins film of this magnitude. The action sequences were awesome but again felt a bit to Neo vs Smith. At the end of the day I enjoyed the movie ok but Snyder's style felt very out of place for how this story should have been done IMO.
vilfrard and Dbuudo07 like this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1022 Old 06-14-2013, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just got back from seeing the new superman movie. As many things I liked about the movie, there are things I hated. Things to note are that the SFX and fight scenes are better then anything Marvel has done, and I expect church going people to start protesting the movie by the end of this weekend.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #453 of 1022 Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Ok now that I've sobered up some and the smoke has cleared some I think I was a bit maybe too lenient on my initial knee jerk review right after the show when I got home. Kinda like getting off the Superman roller coaster if you will. And I've been reading tons of talk back from other viewers and I found one here that summed it up very well in one neat paragraph that I didn't have the guts to do in the 1st place.

Now people who have NOT seen the film like myself previously will instantly think that it's a troll or rabid Batman fanboy review. But if you see MOS you'll know that this person has seen the movie and it's very real. I mean ok the part about "worst movie ever" is merely an exaggeration to figuratively say it's VERY, very bad but you get the point he's getting across. Here it is..

This is by far one of the worst movies I've ever seen... please please save your money.. the movie had more holes than Swiss cheese .. no story line... had no intro.. THATS RIGHT .. NO INTRO.. had nothing of substance.. jumped around with flash backs of non important memories.. and was just terrible.. WORST MOVIE EVER ... I waited and waited to see a new Superman movie.. And I was let down.. And so will you if you go see this.. I'm calling the theater and for the first time going to ask for a refund. A sordid warped take on diasporic megalomania and a terrible movie altogether. From one moment to the other I was just jolted in one part of the story to another with little time to breathe and take in the narrative arc. im so tired of villians destroying major cities. Transformers, avengers, and now this....smh... over it.... great actors, great director, terrible writer. David S. Goyer needs to find a new job asap. and leave my supes alone. If it weren't for the 15 minutes on Krypton and the last 15 minutes of the finale I would've walked out..

For me the huge glaring misstep that now I see it clearly as Arrrowhead water and I agree with this guy is there was really NO INTRO I'm serious guys. As soon as the WB logo comes on, the Krypton scene is gone like a flash and it seems like before I my 3rd bite of popcorn...BAM you see a full adult Clark Kent. I'm like whoa, what, where, who. WTF this movie has no head. Jumps right into the body and tail told in like dream-like sequence in short spurts with no weight.

And what Superman comic did Mr Snyder read in his childhood? In this movie, NOT once, NOT twice, BUT 3x you see Clark turn the other cheek like a big ass wuss as a boy, and twice as a man. I mean Come On now ok I know his dad wants to raise him up as a proper person but you should see the way Clark turns away his bullies. You know that GREAT DINER trucker scene in Donner Superman? you get nothing like that although several times it sets up like that but ends up like a wet towel. You would think Clark turns out to be the son of Buddha not Jor-el . That right there is the essence of all comic book heroism, that passage of rites when the young super hero faces his bully and overcomes it for the 1st time. It doesn't happen in this movie, so when does occur? It has too at some point right?
vilfrard likes this.
post #454 of 1022 Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

I felt this way too but I couldn't quite figure out why until now. I think it's the way that Superman is introduced to the world.

Spoilers just in case
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It's only AFTER there's a global threat and then Superman is treated as some kind of fugitive. Superman is supposed to be Earth's champion but it just didn't feel like it here. It was almost as if Clark only became Superman because Zod forced him to. And then even at the end there is still mistrust with the authorities.

It's exactly why bringing a "gritty" tone to Superman is completely wrong.

I also have a problem with the massive amount of collateral damage and that we never really saw Superman saving people.
Very much agreed on all accounts. I also did not care for the sporadic timeline format. To be honest, I miss the John Williams score as well.
With the Matrix cast and even some scenes/ideas it just felt like a Superman like person had flown in to earth just before the machines took over to battle them and the super beings wielding them. And why the hell did the MOS tell Zod exactly how to manage his newly acquired weakness instead of leaving it to mystery and exploiting the hell out of it.

Superman 2 then 1 remain my favorites. I'd rank this with Superman 3 which is behind Superman Returns for me. It had greatness that was written into hulk smash dumbness. I still prefer Singer;s version the one everyone hates because you know what, I felt like I was WATCHING A DAMN SUPERMAN movie, regardless of it's shortcomings. MOS, regardless of the great cast, fantastic opening, great fight scenes ,etc. very seldom did it feel like a Superman movie to me and only when it was building to something, rarely when it matters. It failed in a unique way, it failed to convince me I was seeing an origins film about a self-less being with the power to save mankind through his power and moral example. It failed to convince me this was a movie about Superman.
vilfrard likes this.

My Rig

post #455 of 1022 Old 06-14-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Thanks for the review zoey. Well what you said seems consistent with Zack Znyder's filmmaking in general. While I'll keep my expectations in check, I do expect to enjoy the movie nonetheless. Your Bay/Scott comparison is funny, because in a way, that's one can reasonably expect from a Znyder/Nolan collaboration as well. I'll keep the character development parts in mind, but again, I'm pretty sure I'll still enjoy the movie (and its music! wink.gif). I'll see it tomorrow or sunday...
Look forward to your take on it. And I'm hoping my other usual suspects Oink, Franin, will get a chance to see this over the weekend as I would love to get your feedback on this as well. I don't want to be the Lone ranger and Debbie Downer as I'm feeling like right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Cavill is superb as the Man in blue! What a great casting choice. For those who don't know, the man is British! Great screen presence and finally he delivered a proper Clark and Superman. Easily my favorite actor to dawn the red cape.
Ya, I didn't know that bit until yesterday and after seeing him do Superman you know what else I'm thinking? He's still young so just when he finishes with this franchise he'll grow just ripe into the next James Bond when Craig is done with his tenure ...he's got the whole package for it. Bet it will happen too, imagine that being casted as Superman and 007 in your career.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #456 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Very much agreed on all accounts. I also did not care for the sporadic timeline format. To be honest, I miss the John Williams score as well.
With the Matrix cast and even some scenes/ideas it just felt like a Superman like person had flown in to earth just before the machines took over to battle them and the super beings wielding them. And why the hell did the MOS tell Zod exactly how to manage his newly acquired weakness instead of leaving it to mystery and exploiting the hell out of it.

Superman 2 then 1 remain my favorites. I'd rank this with Superman 3 which is behind Superman Returns for me. It had greatness that was written into hulk smash dumbness. I still prefer Singer;s version the one everyone hates because you know what, I felt like I was WATCHING A DAMN SUPERMAN movie, regardless of it's shortcomings. MOS, regardless of the great cast, fantastic opening, great fight scenes ,etc. very seldom did it feel like a Superman movie to me and only when it was building to something, rarely when it matters. It failed in a unique way, it failed to convince me I was seeing an origins film about a self-less being with the power to save mankind through his power and moral example. It failed to convince me this was a movie about Superman.

I love those old ones. Not sure why it's so hard to get Supes modern. I guess Truth Justice and The American Way are pretty alien concepts to grasp. I also think a "decent person" such as Clark Kent is pretty unbelievable these days no matter the actor chosen to portray him. Which explains the Tony Stark popularity. I guess if Clark was an emo guy who bitched about having powers and used them to make himself rich it'd be an easier sell.
vilfrard likes this.
post #457 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

OMG, people are funniest people I just read some the most hilarious stuff from people who have seen it and my god these guys are brilliant. There are NO SPOILERS, I repeat no spoilers ok I just put them it in so to condense the long bullet points. I wish I can take credit for this, enjoy...

Here's my list of hysterical things Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Oh I laughed at so many things in this movie, and let me give you a list.
Shall we? LOL

1. That tornado scene
2. Jor-El talking to Supes in the Fortress Of Solitude and all that weird Jules Verne steampunk sh** floating about in the background. I was like...WHAT THE FU**?
3. Russell Crowe riding that Avatar/Attack Of The Clones reject creature LOL.
4. The Black Perry White.
5. The girl Jimmy Olsen
6. The bad makeup job trying to make hot Diane Lane look like an old crow to be his mom.
7. Every time Kevin Costner opened his mouth.
8. Every time Russell Crowe opened his mouth.
8. Every time Zod came on screen with that bad Caesar cut.
9. IHOP
10. 7/11
11. SEARS...LOL!!!
12. Superman flying and his face expressions. Looked like he was trying to push out a Superdump lol
13. Every piece of "dialogue" in the film
14. The video game...er uh I mean fight scenes
15. How easily Superman or whatever the hell they were calling him snapped Zod's neck after all that drama and destroying an entire city and that's all it took. LMFAO!!!
16. How they were all right back at work laughing and giggling after an entire city was just completely demolished...including their own Daily Planet Building.
17. And how Clark was now starting a job at The Daily Planet as a reporter with no prior journalistic experience. I mean everyone wants to hire a reporter who's last job was working on a crab boat. Didn't you all know that? LOL

WOW. AND I THOUGHT THE CRITICS WERE EXAGGERATING HOW BAD THIS WAS. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I don't even know where to begin. I'm in shock.

They literally took Superman and turned him into a generic, C average, sci-fi, Michael Bay type action film that tries to be Avatar at some points.

But forget about the highly saturated CGI sci-fi world. It's also drab and dark and dreary and devoid of any color. It's even darker and dimmer than the real world. Much more so.

I don't have the energy to go into detail. This film doesn't even deserve deep analyzation. But I'll just say what made this film the worst comic book movie of all-time. I never ever ever ever think I'd say it.... But it's even worse than Superman Returns.

What made this film so bad:

1.) We never get to know Superman or Clark Kent (or really any of the main characters: they're all just pawn pieces to move around while blowing *beep* up with CGI).

2.) The overly exaggerated Sci-fi CGI world (especially of Krypton). We feel like we're watching a bad version of Avatar in the opening, and at the end we feel like we're watching a bad version of Transformers.

3.) The Lois/Clark relationship is non-existent. Gone is the tension and revelation and excitement of Lois discovering that the nerd she works with is actually Superman and how she navigates that relationship in SUperman 1978 -- INSTEAD we get a nosy, douchie reporter who stumbles upon some dude in a spaceship and falls in love with him from then on out.

4.) ALL the characters are boring. You can't relate to them. And you kinda hate them. No character is given any weight. And we don't even follow Superman through this development as the movie jumps around like a music video.

5.) The overuse of CGI and action. It's just too much. And all of it is not that great.

6.) Lois as an action figure......lame.

7.) Nothing is a revelation. When Clark dons the suit for the first time, or when we see him for the first time in the movie -- none of it is exciting and impacting. It's flat. And no one cares (the audience was silent during these parts when they should have been cheering and clapping). The movie jumps around so much, we never get a sense of build up or reward. Again, everything just plays out like a music video.

Overall, very disappointing. I wanted to like this movie, especially after all the hate it got by critics. But this movie was terrible. Plain and simple. It felt like a 2 hour music video. It was a cheap sci-fi space movie with avatar-like CGI and action, except worse. There was no character development, no real point-of-view of the main character, and everything was just cheap and pointless: like a group of film students making their version of Superman.

P.S. Did Cavil's Superman say any more than 4 lines? Because if he did, I couldn't tell: his character was about as invisible as the walls Superman sees through.

Lastly, this also sums it nicely:

7 superman movies in the past 35 years...only 2 are good. The one thing those 2 have in common: Directed by Richard Donner.
vilfrard and lordcloud like this.
post #458 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Ya, I didn't know that bit until yesterday and after seeing him do Superman you know what else I'm thinking? He's still young so just when he finishes with this franchise he'll grow just ripe into the next James Bond when Craig is done with his tenure ...he's got the whole package for it. Bet it will happen too, imagine that being casted as Superman and 007 in your career.

I see that happening too. I read about him being considered for the role and think he'll make a great Bond.

David Budo
post #459 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 01:34 AM

Liked: 16
I also want to add that in Kansas there seems to be two IHOP's on every block. At least this film thinks so.
vilfrard likes this.
post #460 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Just WOW, I just found out some more stuff that I totally forgot about from the Superman world. Gotta hand it to the common folks dishing out the god honest truth. I wonder what else I missed in this movie, prob tons....

Still from the storyline, it seems the people accepted Superman very quickly. And Lois knew that clark is superman.WTF?? The whole thing that spiced up Clark/Superman -lois relationship is the secret identity of Superman. The fact that she is looking for her "guardian angel" and not knowing that he is in front of her nose all the time. THAT is what make the Lois-Clark relationship to be an all time classic and it seems goyer/snyder completely forgetting about it.
post #461 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just WOW, I just found out some more stuff that I totally forgot about from the Superman world. Gotta hand it to the common folks dishing out the god honest truth. I wonder what else I missed in this movie, prob tons....

Still from the storyline, it seems the people accepted Superman very quickly. And Lois knew that clark is superman.WTF?? The whole thing that spiced up Clark/Superman -lois relationship is the secret identity of Superman. The fact that she is looking for her "guardian angel" and not knowing that he is in front of her nose all the time. THAT is what make the Lois-Clark relationship to be an all time classic and it seems goyer/snyder completely forgetting about it.

You do realize that this secret identity is also something that plagues the credibility of the story. That a pair of glasses and slightly different hair are enough to fool an intelligent woman like Lois. This is an exciting new look at Superman and I'm glad it isn't rehashing everything from the past. If they went that route, I'd be thinking that yet again Lois is blind beyond belief. I think the way this story is going, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Lois is the only person other than Martha who knows his identity, which will provide a very interesting dilemma in itself. Clark will have a new conflict of how close he can be with her without putting her in danger.

David Budo
post #462 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OMG, people are funniest people I just read some the most hilarious stuff from people who have seen it and my god these guys are brilliant. There are NO SPOILERS, I repeat no spoilers ok I just put them it in so to condense the long bullet points. I wish I can take credit for this, enjoy...

Here's my list of hysterical things Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Oh I laughed at so many things in this movie, and let me give you a list.
Shall we? LOL

1. That tornado scene
2. Jor-El talking to Supes in the Fortress Of Solitude and all that weird Jules Verne steampunk sh** floating about in the background. I was like...WHAT THE FU**?
3. Russell Crowe riding that Avatar/Attack Of The Clones reject creature LOL.
4. The Black Perry White.
5. The girl Jimmy Olsen
6. The bad makeup job trying to make hot Diane Lane look like an old crow to be his mom.
7. Every time Kevin Costner opened his mouth.
8. Every time Russell Crowe opened his mouth.
8. Every time Zod came on screen with that bad Caesar cut.
9. IHOP
10. 7/11
11. SEARS...LOL!!!
12. Superman flying and his face expressions. Looked like he was trying to push out a Superdump lol
13. Every piece of "dialogue" in the film
14. The video game...er uh I mean fight scenes
15. How easily Superman or whatever the hell they were calling him snapped Zod's neck after all that drama and destroying an entire city and that's all it took. LMFAO!!!
16. How they were all right back at work laughing and giggling after an entire city was just completely demolished...including their own Daily Planet Building.
17. And how Clark was now starting a job at The Daily Planet as a reporter with no prior journalistic experience. I mean everyone wants to hire a reporter who's last job was working on a crab boat. Didn't you all know that? LOL

WOW. AND I THOUGHT THE CRITICS WERE EXAGGERATING HOW BAD THIS WAS. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I don't even know where to begin. I'm in shock.

They literally took Superman and turned him into a generic, C average, sci-fi, Michael Bay type action film that tries to be Avatar at some points.

But forget about the highly saturated CGI sci-fi world. It's also drab and dark and dreary and devoid of any color. It's even darker and dimmer than the real world. Much more so.

I don't have the energy to go into detail. This film doesn't even deserve deep analyzation. But I'll just say what made this film the worst comic book movie of all-time. I never ever ever ever think I'd say it.... But it's even worse than Superman Returns.

What made this film so bad:

1.) We never get to know Superman or Clark Kent (or really any of the main characters: they're all just pawn pieces to move around while blowing *beep* up with CGI).

2.) The overly exaggerated Sci-fi CGI world (especially of Krypton). We feel like we're watching a bad version of Avatar in the opening, and at the end we feel like we're watching a bad version of Transformers.

3.) The Lois/Clark relationship is non-existent. Gone is the tension and revelation and excitement of Lois discovering that the nerd she works with is actually Superman and how she navigates that relationship in SUperman 1978 -- INSTEAD we get a nosy, douchie reporter who stumbles upon some dude in a spaceship and falls in love with him from then on out.

4.) ALL the characters are boring. You can't relate to them. And you kinda hate them. No character is given any weight. And we don't even follow Superman through this development as the movie jumps around like a music video.

5.) The overuse of CGI and action. It's just too much. And all of it is not that great.

6.) Lois as an action figure......lame.

7.) Nothing is a revelation. When Clark dons the suit for the first time, or when we see him for the first time in the movie -- none of it is exciting and impacting. It's flat. And no one cares (the audience was silent during these parts when they should have been cheering and clapping). The movie jumps around so much, we never get a sense of build up or reward. Again, everything just plays out like a music video.

Overall, very disappointing. I wanted to like this movie, especially after all the hate it got by critics. But this movie was terrible. Plain and simple. It felt like a 2 hour music video. It was a cheap sci-fi space movie with avatar-like CGI and action, except worse. There was no character development, no real point-of-view of the main character, and everything was just cheap and pointless: like a group of film students making their version of Superman.

P.S. Did Cavil's Superman say any more than 4 lines? Because if he did, I couldn't tell: his character was about as invisible as the walls Superman sees through.

Lastly, this also sums it nicely:

7 superman movies in the past 35 years...only 2 are good. The one thing those 2 have in common: Directed by Richard Donner.

I can honestly say that these maybe some of the weakest arguments I've seen toward a film. After the movie was over and the credits were rolling, 3/4 of the audience at my showing sat and discussed how many points of the movie they thoroughly enjoyed and the few things they didn't like for about 10 minutes. I can't wait for the "This movie is only liked by fanboys and stupid simpletons" comments to start up by these same people you're quoting. Really, how much character development do we need from a character whose symbol is one of the most recognized globally. We saw Bruce Wayne go from being an ordinary man to Batman. Superman began learning of his powers when he was a kid. They showed this in a very unique and interesting way. To say there was no character development is nonsense. Hype is what's generating the hate right now. That's how I see it.
Morpheo likes this.

David Budo
post #463 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:

To say there was no character development is nonsense. Hype is what's generating the hate right now. That's how I see it.

That is so true is so many cases...
post #464 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The way I see it right now, this is Star Trek Into Darkness all over again: people expect their old-fashioned spandex Superman, almost in the exact same way as it was presented some 34 years ago. And then if it had been the case, they'd be all up in arms because the story wouldn't have been fresh blah blah blah........Fortunately the film could break records, I'm kinda glad for Znyder, he deserves it imo. ....I still haven't seen it though...tik tok tik tok wink.gif
post #465 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Morph, stop while you're ahead ok, See it 1st then come back and speak what your know is true.
vilfrard likes this.
post #466 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can honestly say that these maybe some of the weakest arguments I've seen toward a film. After the movie was over and the credits were rolling, 3/4 of the audience at my showing sat and discussed how many points of the movie they thoroughly enjoyed and the few things they didn't like for about 10 minutes. I can't wait for the "This movie is only liked by fanboys and stupid simpletons" comments to start up by these same people you're quoting. Really, how much character development do we need from a character whose symbol is one of the most recognized globally. We saw Bruce Wayne go from being an ordinary man to Batman. Superman began learning of his powers when he was a kid. They showed this in a very unique and interesting way. To say there was no character development is nonsense. Hype is what's generating the hate right now. That's how I see it.
I'm really restraining myself to respond to this but every single word that you said said could be the exact mirror opposite of how the flip side of that coin would say. Another words, it's your opinion so to say that you're waiting for all the fanboys and stupid simpletons comments leaves a giant gap hole for me to say the very same thing about your statement is stupid comments as well.

Take a look at your last sentence...do you know how stupid you sound? Do you have any inkling how loved Superman is all over the world?...huh Do you? This is Superman our cherished beloved hero ok not Osam Bin Freakin Ladin so why would there be any hate for this movie? Do you think me or others have some sick enjoyment in not giving the glowing review you have?

Hype is NOT what's generating hate right now...maybe..just maybe it's the poorly executed film itself hiding behind a giant bag of tricks that's generating all the hate and poor reviews. Don't quit your day job young man...wink.gif
vilfrard likes this.
post #467 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm really restraining myself to respond to this but every single word that you said said could be the exact mirror opposite of how the flip side of that coin would say. Another words, it's your opinion so to say that you're waiting for all the fanboys and stupid simpletons comments leaves a giant gap hole for me to say the very same thing about your statement is stupid comments as well.

Take a look at your last sentence...do you know how stupid you sound? Do you have any inkling how loved Superman is all over the world?...huh Do you? This is Superman our cherished beloved hero ok not Osam Bin Freakin Ladin so why would there be any hate for this movie? Do you think me or others have some sick enjoyment in not giving the glowing review you have?

Hype is NOT what's generating hate right now...maybe..just maybe it's the poorly executed film itself hiding behind a giant bag of tricks that's generating all the hate and poor reviews. Don't quit your day job young man...wink.gif

Indeed I'll stop commenting about the film until I've seen it, but you do know zoey that big films like this are gonna be destroyed anyway by a few smart clowns who feel they always get it better than the dumb masses... The fact that "Superman the character" is loved is not debated, which is why I made a Star Trek comparison, people love these characters, or actually their idea of these characters. "Oh no, J.J. and those hacks Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof ruined them, this is not how it is supposed to be", "oh of course that bozo Snyder has done it again, Superman should be like this and not like that, he should do this but not that, "a superman movie" should be like this, hence don't mess with my childhood's 1979 movie and Christopher Reeve because this is the only true Superman!!!".... That is so stupid.

...but I haven't seen it yet... wink.gif Maybe I won't like it, maybe I will...I'll report back smile.gif
post #468 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Indeed I'll stop commenting about the film until I've seen it, but you do know zoey that big films like this are gonna be destroyed anyway by a few smart clowns who feel they always get it better than the dumb masses... The fact that "Superman the character" is loved is not debated, which is why I made a Star Trek comparison, people love these characters, or actually their idea of these characters. "Oh no, J.J. and those hacks Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof ruined them, this is not how it is supposed to be", "oh of course that bozo Snyder has done it again, Superman should be like this and not like that, he should do this but not that, "a superman movie" should be like this, hence don't mess with my childhood's 1979 movie and Christopher Reeve because this is the only true Superman!!!".... That is so stupid.

...but I haven't seen it yet... wink.gif Maybe I won't like it, maybe I will...I'll report back smile.gif
Morph, for the love of Zod please stop because the only smart clown is you ok. Why are you even posturing when you haven't seen it and calling people who have seen it smart clowns or stupid? Can you copy and paste any part of my review that I said anything about don't mess with my childhood 1979 movie? you have to understand and get it through your krypton skull that myself and others are judging it alone on it's one merit ok. My god just see ok and don't assume anything.

Oink, where are you pal? I need some back up, you gotta go see this today and let this board and Morph know the truth will ya please...
vilfrard likes this.
post #469 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Morph, for the love of Zod please stop because the only smart clown is you ok. Why are you even posturing when you haven't seen it and calling people who have seen it smart clowns or stupid? Can you copy and paste any part of my review that I said anything about don't mess with my childhood 1979 movie? you have to understand and get it through your krypton skull that myself and others are judging it alone on it's one merit ok. My god just see ok and don't assume anything.

Just to be clear zoey, my little sarcasms were not aimed at you or any other person who has commented about the film in this thread. The internet is a big place. wink.gif If what I said was offensive that was certainly not my attention. There are places, various blogs and stuff that like to give some movies a bad name just for the heck of it.
post #470 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 717
post #471 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I love those old ones. Not sure why it's so hard to get Supes modern. I guess Truth Justice and The American Way are pretty alien concepts to grasp. I also think a "decent person" such as Clark Kent is pretty unbelievable these days no matter the actor chosen to portray him. Which explains the Tony Stark popularity. I guess if Clark was an emo guy who bitched about having powers and used them to make himself rich it'd be an easier sell.
What's that say about where we are today vs where we were 30+ years ago when the goodie tuchews was a moral inspiration?
vilfrard likes this.

My Rig

post #472 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I've seen MOS twice over the weekend, and as much as I was looking froward to seeing this from the moment it was announced, I was mildly disappointed.

Like many people have said before, this could have been great, but just wasn't. Most of the time I didn't even feel as though I was watching a Superman movie. It just went too far off the rails for me, but not in a good direction.There was the stupidly forced romance. Why even bother with that in the first movie? Granted, these are two good looking people, but still. The many many many plot holes and lapses in logic. The underwhelming score. The Star Wars prequel feel in the beginning of the movie. The unnecessarily dark color palette, that did nothing from an aesthetic point of view. Zod was not an effective villain(as others have also said, he had just one gear the entire movie). The ridiculously hot, female commander felt much more menacing, powerful, and just bad ass. The CGI during fight scenes was really not good enough. They really stood out as simply animated characters created on a computer with too little frames of animation. I would also have liked feel more connected Superman as a character, but I wasn't.

On the flip side, I loved the climactic battle. It was what I wanted to see in Matrix Revolutions. I didn't love Henry Cavil as Supes, but he did a good job. Lois Lane was great. The script was good. The SFX on superman flying was great. Russell Crowe was amazing. I liked that if had a bit of a Sci FI feel to it, even if it felt out of place.

Overall it was a good movie. Not fun enough for a blockbuster, and a bit too dark in tone. But still a good movie.
Dbuudo07 likes this.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #473 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obviously, your subjective opinions are right and people have to agree with you. It's funny that people (not saying you) gave The Amazing Spider-Man flack for telling a story we already know. Now, we need old Superman back, exactly as he was before. There really is no satisfying people.

Technically, this movie has issues. Story and character wise, I would never call it perfect, but it is pretty bloody great. This is coming from a guy who grew up with Reeves' Superman and owns 1 and 2 on HD DVD. I got them as soon as they were released and still love them. They aren't perfect either, but I accept both the old and new individually.

David Budo
post #474 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obviously, your subjective opinions are right and people have to agree with you. It's funny that people (not saying you) gave The Amazing Spider-Man flack for telling a story we already know. Now, we need old Superman back, exactly as he was before. There really is no satisfying people.

Technically, this movie has issues. Story and character wise, I would never call it perfect, but it is pretty bloody great. This is coming from a guy who grew up with Reeves' Superman and owns 1 and 2 on HD DVD. I got them as soon as they were released and still love them. They aren't perfect either, but I accept both the old and new individually.

I don't think it's so much that anyone wants the "old" Superman back, as much as we wants what is inherently Superman, in this latest Superman movie. I do kind of want him exactly as he was before, but tell a different part of his story, or show a different side to him. It makes no sense to me, to reinvent a character that literally millions of people know and love, when there is no need to or nothing is to be gained from it. But more insight into that character, or a different take, is much welcomed. Snyder made a movie that felt like it was a movie about a character we were not familiar with. But not in a good way. The movie was good, but he should have made a good movie around something, vs trying to mold things that should not be malleable, into what he wants, but no one else did. I think most people just wanted to see a really good, but more modern Superman movie. I don't think that's what we got.

post #475 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Reading everyone's reviews Im going to hold off for blu ray.

Frank

post #476 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

I don't think it's so much that anyone wants the "old" Superman back, as much as we wants what is inherently Superman, in this latest Superman movie. I do kind of want him exactly as he was before, but tell a different part of his story, or show a different side to him. It makes no sense to me, to reinvent a character that literally millions of people know and love, when there is no need to or nothing is to be gained from it. But more insight into that character, or a different take, is much welcomed. Snyder made a movie that felt like it was a movie about a character we were not familiar with. But not in a good way. The movie was good, but he should have made a good movie around something, vs trying to mold things that should not be malleable, into what he wants, but no one else did. I think most people just wanted to see a really good, but more modern Superman movie. I don't think that's what we got.

I see what you're saying. You were looking for the character essence with more details. Understandable. I guess I got what I wanted and see this as Superman still figuring things out. I like that he has more to learn and still has to become the man we know he is. This film, to me, is about discovery. I can see the next movie giving us more of the old and that will have a stronger impact because we saw how he got there.

David Budo
post #477 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I think you shouldn't, on the contrary. I'm seeing it this afternoon this thread has no effect whatsoever on my willing to see it or not. I'll still give my impressions afterwards. smile.gif
post #478 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless shaky cam makes you sick, try catching a matinée. You may like it.

David Budo
post #479 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see what you're saying. You were looking for the character essence with more details. Understandable. I guess I got what I wanted and see this as Superman still figuring things out. I like that he has more to learn and still has to become the man we know he is. This film, to me, is about discovery. I can see the next movie giving us more of the old and that will have a stronger impact because we saw how he got there.
Yes Dave I'm glad you're on the same wavelength now and see where I was coming from and I thank Loudcloud for having to explain that MYSELF esp don't need this to be anything like Donner's version but to stand solely on it's own like a parent wanting each child to have it's own identity you know. Ok buddy we're cool.
Quote:

Well I'm really hoping you and Oink can join us along with Morph so we can all talk about it. Cmon Frank, do it for Supes if anything...
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #480 of 1022 Old 06-15-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree. I like that he was figuring things out, even though it all seemed a bit rushed. Honestly, this movie could have been 30 mins longer and I would have had no issue with it. 30 more minutes of character development, and fleshing things out, and I would have been happier. Like you said,the next movie looks to be more of what we are familiar with, and I'm hoping that's the case. Just with a Snyder like gloss to it.
Dbuudo07 likes this.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page