post #541 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

...it looked as if he was making no effort to even run away from the twister.
Run? Do you remember which part of his body got caught and slightly crushed by the car? (hint: he was limping painfully)

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I thought the first half was really good, better than I had hoped. Then the second half kicked-in, and everything went to crap. And the last third is about as tedious as watching somebody else play a video game.

This requires me to use the “f” word: fun. As in, “where was the fun in this movie?”

This movie was freaking humorless. Joyless. I expect that in BATMAN, but Superman is supposed to be an uplifting savior figure that inspires hope. Despite a few hamfisted Jesus allusions, MAN OF STEEL is maudlin at best, and borders on tragic.

Seriously, what do we think the civilian body count is by the end of this movie? When it was over I just didn’t give a damn. I don’t think Superman cared either, since he laid waste to about 2/3rds of downtown Metropolis scrapping with Zod. Thanks for that Superman! You’re a true hero! We’re forever in your debt!

I had high hopes for this movie, but in the end I got exactly what I should have expected: a Zach Snyder film.
vilfrard likes this.
post #543 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

I thought the first half was really good, better than I had hoped. Then the second half kicked-in, and everything went to crap. And the last third is about as tedious as watching somebody else play a video game.

This requires me to use the “f” word: fun. As in, “where was the fun in this movie?”

This movie was freaking humorless. Joyless. I expect that in BATMAN, but Superman is supposed to be an uplifting savior figure that inspires hope. Despite a few hamfisted Jesus allusions, MAN OF STEEL is maudlin at best, and borders on tragic.

Seriously, what do we think the civilian body count is by the end of this movie? When it was over I just didn’t give a damn. I don’t think Superman cared either, since he laid waste to about 2/3rds of downtown Metropolis scrapping with Zod. Thanks for that Superman! You’re a true hero! We’re forever in your debt!

I had high hopes for this movie, but in the end I got exactly what I should have expected: a Zach Snyder film.

Yeah, would've been so much better if he didn't stop someone as strong as him who was trying to end life on earth as we know it. Thanks for nothing Supes! rolleyes.gif

David Budo
post #544 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So, people didn't like that Metropolis had to suffer collateral damage when the fate of the humanity was in jeopardy. Maybe Superman should have dragged Zod and his posse to the cornfields of Nebraska to fight it out with minimal damage. Would that have made for an riveting "good vs. evil" battle? Maybe Snyder should have after all showed Superman take time in the middle of fighting aliens and their terraforming machines to save a couple of kittens in shattering buildings and rescuing damsels in mangled cars about to get crushed. confused.gif

People that did not like the movie seem to fall into one general category: fans of the original comics or movies where Supes was bumbling goof while he was not a total badass fighting in his blue and red costume. While that might have added some contrived comedy relief, it is one of the silliest storylines, and I am glad that this movie attempted to portray the effects from the burden that comes from knowing that he was an alien among us, not knowing his greater purpose in life and losing the one true father figure he had while standing by as a powerless human.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #545 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:

He's also an orphan on an alien planet (which we are to him even if he was raised as a human), who someday discover he has extreme powers, strength, he can fly and break the sound barrier, etc., poweers that he knew nothing about and no one can explain, except for "you're not from this world kiddo"...... That's not really uplifting and joyful material... Which is what the movie is about. In 2013, uplifting savior figure means cheesy - this character was created in the 30s, different times... The father/son relationship, father's legacy is probably one of the most faithful elements to the character's roots and original concept.

....And before we go too far in the Jesus/god territory, at least Superman shows up and delivers when people need him!... He doesn't let them die in a catastrophe so people say the children are in peace now and cough in a better place with him by their side rolleyes.gifmad.gif If anything, I see him more as an archetype of a great mythological hero.
post #546 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

He's also an orphan on an alien planet (which we are to him even if he was raised as a human), who someday discover he has extreme powers, strength, he can fly and break the sound barrier, etc., poweers that he knew nothing about and no one can explain, except for "you're not from this world kiddo"...... That's not really uplifting and joyful material... Which is what the movie is about. In 2013, uplifting savior figure means cheesy - this character was created in the 30s, different times... The father/son relationship, father's legacy is probably one of the most faithful elements to the character's roots and original concept.

....And before we go too far in the Jesus/god territory, at least Superman shows up and delivers when people need him!... He doesn't let them die in a catastrophe so people say the children are in peace now and cough in a better place with him by their side rolleyes.gifmad.gif If anything, I see him more as an archetype of a great mythological hero.
Aw Cmon Morph and you guys...seriously we don't have anything anyone who loved MOS ok just keep that in mind but you can't just go on and one blindingly defending every negative aspect of this film because if you do then you guys will come off as "unreasonable" who can't take any constructive criticism. Every single movie no matter how good has something isn't perfect so just accept those like this one.

Kent as a man, a teen ager, a boy..at least the flash backs that were given to us were all of them being so bleak and sad. There wasn't any happy or funny moments ever in his childhood or as a full grown man...EVER!! He was always moping and groping around I swear these scenes would have been a perfect commercial for prozac or depression prescription medication. This was a "FACT" and not an opinion so you can't say other wise to us.

Quote:

I think this is similar to what I read somebody who also said: " watching MOS was like playing a video game to which I didn't have the joy pad controller" biggrin.gif
vilfrard likes this.
post #547 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Sounds like all the problems are the same ones Avengers had.
post #548 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

watching MOS was like playing a video game to which I didn't have the joy pad controller" biggrin.gif

Said every movie ever. LOTR, Harry Potter, etc.
post #549 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Aw Cmon Morph and you guys...seriously we don't have anything anyone who loved MOS ok just keep that in mind but you can't just go on and one blindingly defending every negative aspect of this film because if you do then you guys will come off as "unreasonable" who can't take any constructive criticism. Every single movie no matter how good has something isn't perfect so just accept those like this one.

I'm not defending "every negative aspect" of the movie! I know the movie isn't perfect but I enjoyed every minute of it nonetheless. And I know perfection doesn't exist so I don't have to accept the fact that Man Of Steel isn't a perfect movie, I already know it!!! *insert happy dance smiley* BUT: I have no problem with the lack of funny moments, sorry. I don't care about young Clark during his brithday parties defrozing the cake with his eyes or playing soccer with his buddies and destroying the neighborhood when he kicks the ball or whatever. They CHOSE to tell the story the way they told it. Were they going to please everyone? Of course not. As far as facts are concerned, him being an orphan on alien planet called Earth, as I mentioned above, struggling with his powers and how to deal with them is also a "fact". Ha! So they chose to go this route instead. Well *I* liked it. Does that make it a "bad Superman movie"? Not necessarily, and certainly not for me. But that makes it different than what you were expecting.
Quote:
Kent as a man, a teen ager, a boy..at least the flash backs that were given to us were all of them being so bleak and sad. There wasn't any happy or funny moments ever in his childhood or as a full grown man...EVER!! He was always moping and groping around I swear these scenes would have been a perfect commercial for prozac or depression prescription medication. This was a "FACT" and not an opinion so you can't say other wise to us.

um...who's "us" your honor?
post #550 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

um...who's "us" your honor?
Anyone who's brought up any legitimate reasonable problems with the movie. People who don't see eye to eye with your " Oh this was perfection, there isn't anything wrong with the movie" etc

And as more people are seeing it, they're coming up with more really constructive criticisms like another here:

1) I love when superman use his brains and defeat opponents, so this movie fail for me. The fighting thing didn't really do much for me, because it was just like dragon ball-z..a ton of punches and kicks to people that didn't seem to feel them, so style and techique seem almost useless...my biggest problem is how fast they learn to use their powers. this to me, is the deciding factor in who wins the overall fight. Clark, had way more practice, so no matter what techique you know, if you don't understand how your body work, you're going to have a hard time executive your moves. This movie failed because it didn't established the power rules. It didn't explain anything about developing powers etc, so it left you confused on why they all seemed to be at times on equal footing
vilfrard likes this.
post #551 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone who's brought up any legitimate reasonable problems with the movie. People who don't see eye to eye with your " Oh this was perfection, there isn't anything wrong with the movie" etc

I NEVER said or implied that there wasn't anything wrong with the movie. In fact I just said the opposite 2 posts ago. mad.gif It's fun debating the film and stuff but please don't put words in my mouth. YOU are the one trying to paint the movie with a right/wrong, black or white brush. Everyone has to agree with YOUR opinion that the movie somewhat sucks and it's not a "superman movie"... See I really don't give a sh!t, I like this film and no one is gonna make me change my opinion about it. But you seem to have a problem with people who dare having a different opninion than yours. Personally I don't, it's fine that you don't like it as much as you'd like, like many others, or apparently as much as I, and many others, did. I DO recognize it has flaws, but I DO think it's a good movie. It's not incompatible, and not, unreasonable.

Regarding the constructive criticisms you're mentioning, I would agree to a point, but (oh no, not again!) these are characters who are supposed to be a.l.i.e.n.s........ The comment you posted is basing the understanding of the body from a human point of view. This is (science)fiction, the only thing we really know is that they're able to control their strengths and adapt to our world blah blah blah... How they do it? Well, they're fictive characters anyway... In the film, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
we see Zod weakened without his helmet before he can be in control again - these guys are superaliens with superpowers and supereverything...

People take these superhero movies way too seriously. If the filmmakers read these forums, I'm sure they'd have a good laugh.

I don't come to avs to fight with other members. ...truce? smile.gif hug? tongue.gif kiss? eek.gif
wink.gif
post #552 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
It never fails....
post #553 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

People take these superhero movies way too seriously. If the filmmakers read these forums, I'm sure they'd have a good laugh.

I don't come to avs to fight with other members. ...truce? smile.gif hug? tongue.gif kiss? eek.gif
wink.gif
Sure no prob Morph. I was just coming in defense to your instant knee jerk reply to reanimator's: This movie was freaking humorless. Joyless. It just seemed from your post that every time someone like him or me was stating a legit problem to the film, you or someone would have to defend it no matter what.

But I see what you're saying here, we're all just chit chating here and nobody is right or wrong so yeah cool.
post #554 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Sounds like all the problems are the same ones Avengers had.

The only difference is Avengers was actually a GOOD movie.
vilfrard likes this.
post #555 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

Went in with low expectations but I ended up loving it minus the climactic death scene. Gswat, where did u see it? I'm glad I did not watch this at the Moore Warren for obvious reasons.

I saw it in 2D a multiplex in a strip mall in a Milwaukee suburb. Both the audio and video were first rate.
post #556 of 1022 Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

Debateable but whatever.
post #557 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 303
spoiler post cleanup - please see rules in sticky thread. Somebody even mentioned it, but people ignored him.
Dbuudo07 likes this.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #558 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Not sure if this has been mentioned as yet but...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

When Superman made the choice to kill Zod, he did so armed with the knowledge that Zod, like most other living Kryptonians, was born/breed to serve a specific purpose. Zod was fulfilling what he was born to be, and his actions while seemingly deplorable on the surface were 100% about the survival of his people. That unto itself is a noble cause( of course that doesn't necessarily justify the genocide of another race to preserve his own, but it does make for a fair argument as to whether he was actually a 'bad' guy. The original General Zod was simply a vicious, self-serving tyrant/dictator but MOS's version was written to have a much greater purpose. With all that being said, was Superman justified in ending the life of someone who was born without the free will to choose what they wanted to be? IMO an ending where Supes took this into account and acted a bit more thoughtfully in coming up with a resolution for Zod.
vilfrard likes this.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #559 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I enjoyed this movie. Still unsure why there is so much debate over it. Good acting,good story, very nice retelling of the Sups Myth.
post #560 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Still unsure why there is so much debate over it.

Wouldn't be much of a movie if there wasn't anything to debate about after the fact.

post #561 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Wouldn't be much of a movie if there wasn't anything to debate about after the fact.

I'd like to see this repeated in a Prometheus discussion thread here. biggrin.gif
Dbuudo07 likes this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #562 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

I enjoyed this movie. Still unsure why there is so much debate over it. Good acting,good story, very nice retelling of the Sups Myth.

There's much to debate because many people feel differently than you do about the movie.

Acting was good, story was not good, and it was not a nice retelling of the myth.
zoey67 likes this.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #563 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

spoiler post cleanup - please see rules in sticky thread. Somebody even mentioned it, but people ignored him.

Hey, mine had no spoilers!
Though I guess the post I quoted could be construed as spoilerish...

Robert Clark
post #564 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure if this has been mentioned as yet but...

When Superman made the choice to kill Zod, he did so armed with the knowledge that Zod, like most other living Kryptonians, was born/breed to serve a specific purpose. Zod was fulfilling what he was born to be, and his actions while seemingly deplorable on the surface were 100% about the survival of his people. That unto itself is a noble cause( of course that doesn't necessarily justify the genocide of another race to preserve his own, but it does make for a fair argument as to whether he was actually a 'bad' guy. The original General Zod was simply a vicious, self-serving tyrant/dictator but MOS's version was written to have a much greater purpose. With all that being said, was Superman justified in ending the life of someone who was born without the free will to choose what they wanted to be? IMO an ending where Supes took this into account and acted a bit more thoughtfully in coming up with a resolution for Zod.

So not killing a serial killer, in the middle of trying to kill people, when he openly admitted he would never stop, would be the more thoughtful way to go?
Dbuudo07 likes this.

post #565 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

Sorry Dave, could not resist :P
post #566 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Sorry Dave, could not resist :P

That's actually funny.
post #567 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

So not killing a serial killer, in the middle of trying to kill people, when he openly admitted he would never stop, would be the more thoughtful way to go?

Who said anything about not stopping him? The scene was written where Superman had no choice but to snap his neck. Was THAT really the most thoughtful way to resolve the situation? Why introduce such an interesting theme as the Kryptonians being breed to serve a function, effectively suggesting that Zod had no choice in who he was, if they didn't intend to have that play a role in how Superman ultimately defeated him? There's a lot they could have done with that plot-point, especially since a central theme in the film is about Clark/ Kal El and the choices he will make in shaping who he becomes.

post #568 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who said anything about not stopping him? The scene was written where Superman had no choice but to snap his neck. Was THAT really the most thoughtful way to resolve the situation? Why introduce such an interesting theme as the Kryptonians being breed to serve a function, effectively suggesting that Zod had no choice in who he was, if they didn't intend to have that play a role in how Superman ultimately defeated him? There's a lot they could have done with that plot-point, especially since a central theme in the film is about Clark/ Kal El and the choices he will make in shaping who he becomes.

I for one, think they took a far more plausible and realistic route. I've been annoyed over the years with how good guys handle sociopath, homicidal, genocidal bad guys. There could have been a million other ways that the ending was written, but I think they hose the path that helps create a more grounded, yet conflicted Superman. it also sets up, or hopefully sets up, a more interesting Superman, with more realistic options opened up to him. Or, a Superman that has to live with the noose of what he's done around his neck, and forever impacting his decisions when handling similar "villains".
Dbuudo07 likes this.

post #569 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's much to debate because many people feel differently than you do about the movie.

Acting was good, story was not good, and it was not a nice retelling of the myth.
You can bet on that as more will see it in the days and weeks to come. The Prometheus thread had a ton of negative feedback and folks who was disappointed by it so there's no way MOS will not be the same or I predict more when it's said and done. In comparison to me Prometheus with all it's imperfections had much more story and meat something to bite into. MOS had very little story or intro...just weak meak little spurts of flashbacks that showed what a big sad wuss Clark was.
post #570 of 1022 Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I for one, think they took a far more plausible and realistic route. I've been annoyed over the years with how good guys handle sociopath, homicidal, genocidal bad guys. There could have been a million other ways that the ending was written, but I think they hose the path that helps create a more grounded, yet conflicted Superman. it also sets up, or hopefully sets up, a more interesting Superman, with more realistic options opened up to him. Or, a Superman that has to live with the noose of what he's done around his neck, and forever impacting his decisions when handling similar "villains".

I think we lose a little of what Superman stands for in terms of morality and values if he's going to be rewritten as a character that, when all else fails, says fcuk it and resorts to Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
breaking a man's neck and taking his life

As I said earlier, they introduced an intriguing element with the Kryptonians and could have used that to create a real dilemma for Supes as far as how he should deal with Zod. That's what *I* would have liked to see. While you may see his final resolution as being plausible, I see it as an easy out and a lack of imagination on the part of the writers. We seem to have different hopes and expectations for where this latest incarnation is going, to each their own I suppose. In any event, I'll be interested to see where they take the character next.
vilfrard likes this.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page