Zack Snyder to direct next Superman movie: Man of Steel - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1022 Old 04-29-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Just a reminder that recent citizenship plot turn in the Superman comics has nothing to do with the Snyder movie.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1022 Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Interesting. "10 Things We Want In Superman Reboot Man Of Steel." Story here:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/10-t...-110620-1.html

Which ones do you agree or disagree with?

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #63 of 1022 Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'll comment on these two in particular:

The Origin of the Mild-Mannered Reporter

Some fans and pundits have been arguing that Nolan and Snyder should skip the "origin" all together. That the death of Krypton story is so well ingrained into the public conscious that it should simply be recapped during the opening credits or even skipped entirely. (Though with Russell Crowe recently signing on as Jor-El, the latter seems like a remote possibility at this stage.)

We'll get to an aspect of that argument later on, but one origin that would be worth telling is the one of Clark Kent becoming a reporter for the Daily Planet.

In 1978's Superman: The Movie, that part of Superman's 'origin' is treated simply as a story beat that had to be hit. And hit it was ... minimally.

After Clark spends his late-teen/early 20s in the Fortress learning from Jor-El's crystals and then flying away as an adult wearing the costume, the film jumps to Clark in Perry White's office just having been hired as a new reporter, with his typing prowess cited as his main qualification.

So familiar is the mythos, the story beat was just accepted at face value with no even attempt at color or explanation.

There is rich storytelling potential in why Superman chooses to become a newspaper reporter of all things (particularly in 2012), and why he chooses the Planet.

Why not tell it ... for the first time on film?

I think establishing Clark as some kind of writer while growing up would naturally lead him to Journalism. Perhaps he keeps a journal of his travels, perhaps he's a writer for the Smallville high school monthly paper. Maybe he comes to the conclusion that working for a newspaper is the best way to 'stay in the know' to assist him in his Superman duties. But whatever the reason there needs to be something that we, as the audience, can logically identify with as to why he would choose to be a news reporter ( Let's face it, this is a guy that for all purposes, can do anything he wants).

John Williams' Theme Music Retired

Yeah, even that too. We're going there.

Understand there is a part of us tempted to hold onto this. Williams' iconic theme music (which may, in fact, be aging even better than his original Star Wars theme) is maybe pitch perfect. Perhaps no string of musical notes has ever better captured the essence of a familiar character than this one did.

And we'll even take it one step further -- whomever tries to write a new Superman theme for Man of Steel, be it James Newton Howard and/or Hans Zimmer, won't be as successful.

It will not be as good, or as memorable.

But perhaps of all sensory sensations, music has the power to evoke memories and place the listener in a specific time and place. And while William's theme may be the best contribution to the Superman mythos ever made outside of a comic book page, this is the very same reason why The Man of Steel must forge ahead without it.

Agree here. The classic theme has to go. This is the only way the audience can accept a new Superman. Who will certainly be compared to Chris Reeve's modern definitive version, but the filmmakers need to avoid any ties to the original films. The music would be one such tie. And while it's quite a tall order to follow Williams' piece, I'm sure someone like Danny Elfman or Zimmer could cook up something memorable. The main thing, Superman's music needs to have a noble, majestic quality to it.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #64 of 1022 Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 PM

Liked: 44
'Man of Steel': Julia Ormond Is Zack Snyder's Pick as Superman's Mother

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...mond-is-205078
post #65 of 1022 Old 06-23-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Why do we need a reboot of Sup's origin story again can't they just start the action in some new and exciting way.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #66 of 1022 Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
Why do we need a reboot of Sup's origin story again can't they just start the action in some new and exciting way.
Quote:
Superman Reboot:

Director Zack Snyder confirmed the rumors that this focuses on Superman's early days, although don't expect it to follow the story beats of any of the fifty different origin stories for the Man of Steel:

"As I have already explained, the film will focus on early days of Superman, so there will be no links with other films. This is not a remake then. Similarly, although I still can not talk about the script, I can assure you that this new Superman will not be based on a comic book in particular."
http://io9.com/5665732/superman-rebo...-awesome-shape

WARNING: Spoilers

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...ore-lex-luthor

And to answer your question:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman06.htm
post #67 of 1022 Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post
I'll comment on these two in particular:

The Origin of the Mild-Mannered Reporter

Some fans and pundits have been arguing that Nolan and Snyder should skip the "origin" all together. That the death of Krypton story is so well ingrained into the public conscious that it should simply be recapped during the opening credits or even skipped entirely. (Though with Russell Crowe recently signing on as Jor-El, the latter seems like a remote possibility at this stage.)

We'll get to an aspect of that argument later on, but one origin that would be worth telling is the one of Clark Kent becoming a reporter for the Daily Planet.

In 1978's Superman: The Movie, that part of Superman's 'origin' is treated simply as a story beat that had to be hit. And hit it was ... minimally.

After Clark spends his late-teen/early 20s in the Fortress learning from Jor-El's crystals and then flying away as an adult wearing the costume, the film jumps to Clark in Perry White's office just having been hired as a new reporter, with his typing prowess cited as his main qualification.

So familiar is the mythos, the story beat was just accepted at face value with no even attempt at color or explanation.

There is rich storytelling potential in why Superman chooses to become a newspaper reporter of all things (particularly in 2012), and why he chooses the Planet.

Why not tell it ... for the first time on film?

I think establishing Clark as some kind of writer while growing up would naturally lead him to Journalism. Perhaps he keeps a journal of his travels, perhaps he's a writer for the Smallville high school monthly paper. Maybe he comes to the conclusion that working for a newspaper is the best way to 'stay in the know' to assist him in his Superman duties. But whatever the reason there needs to be something that we, as the audience, can logically identify with as to why he would choose to be a news reporter ( Let's face it, this is a guy that for all purposes, can do anything he wants).

John Williams' Theme Music Retired

Yeah, even that too. We're going there.

Understand there is a part of us tempted to hold onto this. Williams' iconic theme music (which may, in fact, be aging even better than his original Star Wars theme) is maybe pitch perfect. Perhaps no string of musical notes has ever better captured the essence of a familiar character than this one did.

And we'll even take it one step further -- whomever tries to write a new Superman theme for Man of Steel, be it James Newton Howard and/or Hans Zimmer, won't be as successful.

It will not be as good, or as memorable.

But perhaps of all sensory sensations, music has the power to evoke memories and place the listener in a specific time and place. And while William's theme may be the best contribution to the Superman mythos ever made outside of a comic book page, this is the very same reason why The Man of Steel must forge ahead without it.

Agree here. The classic theme has to go. This is the only way the audience can accept a new Superman. Who will certainly be compared to Chris Reeve's modern definitive version, but the filmmakers need to avoid any ties to the original films. The music would be one such tie. And while it's quite a tall order to follow Williams' piece, I'm sure someone like Danny Elfman or Zimmer could cook up something memorable. The main thing, Superman's music needs to have a noble, majestic quality to it.
There are literally a million different things I'd like to see in a movie about an alien with godlike powers on earth, that decides to protect earth and all of its inhabitants even in the face of death, than how he became a reporter and why.

I would also love to hear a new theme for Superman. I'd of course want ther to be nods to the original theme, within the movie, but a new, sweeping, majestic theme would be a lot better than reusing the old one.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #68 of 1022 Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM

Liked: 10
I agree with most of the "10 Things We Want..."

Regarding Superman's powers, there were two neat, yet subtle uses I saw in some DC animated features recently:

-A dozen characters are arguing about something, and it becomes heated. All of a sudden they are all instantly knocked to the ground. Camera pans up and there is Superman, who just did one big hand clap which created some kind of wind or sonic boom.

-Superman is asked by the cops if Lex Luthor is still in prison. Supes uses some combination of X-ray vision and super "zoom" vision to focus on Lex's cell, which must be miles away.

I'd like to see a few new subtle uses of his powers like these. He is the most powerful guy in the world after all. Despite the rest of the movie, I liked the "bowling ball sneeze" in Superman 3.
post #69 of 1022 Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 PM

Liked: 10
One additional note... I'd like to see a family friendly Superman movie. Not kiddie, but similar in tone and violence to Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. Make it fun and uplifting.

I really enjoyed the last 2 Batman films, but I'm not taking my 2 young boys to see those or most any of the recent PG-13 hero movies. Give us a hero to stand up and cheer for!
post #70 of 1022 Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post
There are literally a million different things I'd like to see in a movie about an alien with godlike powers on earth, that decides to protect earth and all of its inhabitants even in the face of death, than how he became a reporter and why.

I would also love to hear a new theme for Superman. I'd of course want ther to be nods to the original theme, within the movie, but a new, sweeping, majestic theme would be a lot better than reusing the old one.
Quote:
As Snyder continues to search for his Clark Kent, one aspect of the production has finally been solidified. Any debate over Hans Zimmer's involvement can now be put to rest - he will score The Man of Steel. More details can be found in our full article on the topic. As they say, with each door that closes a window opens. Zimmer is a great addition to the minds behind the reboot. The only remaining stage is to properly cast the main players.
http://screenrant.com/christoper-nol...s-mikee-90198/
post #71 of 1022 Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It doesn't have to be a huge part of the movie, but simply a few scenes that connects the dots as to why he chose to be a reporter, out of all the things he COULD have done, as a man with effectively no limits. It's a part of the character, why not explore it a little? Hell, part of the tagline for Superman is 'mild-mannered reporter', yet we've never been told why he even chose to be one?

And I disagree on any nods to the originals, I think we need a clean sweep of new themes. If I want to hear any nods to the original theme, I'll fire up one of the older movies.

post #72 of 1022 Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It doesn't have to be a huge part of the movie, but simply a few scenes that connects the dots as to why he chose to be a reporter, out of all the things he COULD have done, as a man with effectively no limits. It's a part of the character, why not explore it a little? Hell, part of the tagline for Superman is 'mild-mannered reporter', yet we've never been told why he even chose to be one?

And I disagree on any nods to the originals, I think we need a clean sweep of new themes. If I want to hear any nods to the original theme, I'll fire up one of the older movies.

I wouldn't be opposed to an explanation as to why he chose journalism over any other type of career. But I would definitely be opposed to it being a major part of the storyline, simply to put it in there. I don't really care about why he became a reporter, unless it is effectively awesome as hell or is revelatory in some way.

I think a nod or two would be awesome. We all like nods. I'm not saying the full theme should be in there, but a nod would be respectful.

post #73 of 1022 Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't be opposed to an explanation as to why he chose journalism over any other type of career. But I would definitely be opposed to it being a major part of the storyline, simply to put it in there. I don't really care about why he became a reporter, unless it is effectively awesome as hell or is revelatory in some way.

I think a nod or two would be awesome. We all like nods. I'm not saying the full theme should be in there, but a nod would be respectful.

As I said, it doesn't have to be a major part, why would it? Simply a couple of scenes to tell the audience why he actually chose it would suffice. Perhaps there's a specific reason that has yet to be explored to any degree, we just 'accept' that he's a reporter because that's what it's always been.

Why do you think it would be respectful? Chris Reeve's Superman, while the one we think of first nowadays, isn't the first time the character graced the screen. I don't think the new Superman needs any more 'nod' to the older movies, than the older movies needed to 'nod' the George Reeves series, or the old 1940's cartoon serials. Let's start anew, there's nothing wrong with a completely fresh approach and not retreading old ground.

Frankly, I'd be disappointed if I heard traces of the old theme; let's see what Zimmer can do with the material, shall we?? I mean, I always loved the Batman theme from the Burton era of films, but I was glad that Zimmer didn't channel Danny Elfman's score with any 'nods'.

post #74 of 1022 Old 06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:

Why do you think it would be respectful? Chris Reeve's Superman, while the one we think of first nowadays, isn't the first time the character graced the screen. I don't think the new Superman needs any more 'nod' to the older movies, than the older movies needed to 'nod' the George Reeves series, or the old 1940's cartoon serials. Let's start anew, there's nothing wrong with a completely fresh approach and not retreading old ground.

I somewhat agree. Each of us tend to become egotistical in a time-centric sort of way when dealing with someone or a group of people's sacred cow...whatever it might be. Challenge me, amaze me, throw me for a loop, make me say "what the hell?"

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #75 of 1022 Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

In the earliest Superman comics, Clark Kent's primary purpose was to fulfill the perceived dramatic requirement that a costumed superhero cannot remain on full duty all the time. Clark thus acted as little more than a front for Superman's activities. Although his name and history were taken from his early life with his adoptive Earth parents, everything about Clark was staged for the benefit of his alternate identity: as a reporter for the Daily Planet he receives late-breaking news before the general public, has a plausible reason to be present at crime scenes, and need not strictly account for his whereabouts as long as he makes his story deadlines. He sees his job as a journalist as an extension of his Superman responsibilities, bringing truth to the forefront and fighting for the little man.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Kent
post #76 of 1022 Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 PM

'Man of Steel': Christopher Meloni in Final Negotiations for Role

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...i-final-205546
post #77 of 1022 Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

No way! That'd be really cool to see.
post #78 of 1022 Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
In the earliest Superman comics, Clark Kent's primary purpose was to fulfill the perceived dramatic requirement that a costumed superhero cannot remain on full duty all the time. Clark thus acted as little more than a front for Superman's activities. Although his name and history were taken from his early life with his adoptive Earth parents, everything about Clark was staged for the benefit of his alternate identity: as a reporter for the Daily Planet he receives late-breaking news before the general public, has a plausible reason to be present at crime scenes, and need not strictly account for his whereabouts as long as he makes his story deadlines. He sees his job as a journalist as an extension of his Superman responsibilities, bringing truth to the forefront and fighting for the little man.

Yes I figured it was some specific reason, and not because he just woke up one morning and decided to be a newsreporter. In fact I alluded to this earlier in the thread( quoting myself):

post #79 of 1022 Old 06-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Oh man, that visage and hairline just scream Lex Luthor. For the love of all that's holy, I hope they don't go down that road again.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #80 of 1022 Old 06-25-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

Oh man, that visage and hairline just scream Lex Luthor. For the love of all that's holy, I hope they don't go down that road again.

I couldn't agree more.

post #81 of 1022 Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

I couldn't agree more.

Agreed, as well. Shirley they won't do that again.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #82 of 1022 Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
^ Reminds me of the problem Routh had - Even though Routh was older than Christopher Reeve at the time of their respective Superman roles (if I'm not mistaken), Routh looks like a baby compared to the manly Reeve. We need Superman, not Superboy.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #83 of 1022 Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

^ Reminds me of the problem Routh had - Even though Routh was older than Christopher Reeve at the time of their respective Superman roles (if I'm not mistaken), Routh looks like a baby compared to the manly Reeve. We need Superman, not Superboy.

Couldn't agree more. Superman in my mind is supposed to be a handsome man, not a pretty boy.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #84 of 1022 Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 AM

No Lex Luthor for Christopher Meloni in Man of Steel

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/no-le...-man-of-steel/
post #85 of 1022 Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 PM

This has been moved to a June 2013 release: http://www.avclub.com/articles/man-o...14-2013,59326/
post #86 of 1022 Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I can never understand the people who whine about origin stories.

To these people: you do know, that movies can differ in the time they allot to an origins story, right? "Batman Begins" is like, an hour of origins...but very well done.

One of the things that makes "Superman: The Movie" the best superhero movie ever made, is because it HAS an origins story. And it's no longer than 25 minutes, and it gets the job so well that it can evoke tears from me much before the halfway mark.

Again, origin stories don't have to constitute most of the film. They can be short, sweet, and brilliantly executed like in "Superman: The Movie."

The remake will never have the magic of the first Superman. Especially with CGI. The amazing experience behind the original was that it was the first time that audiences believed that a man could fly. There's many scenes in the original that are downright amazing; the first flight scene being one of them. CGI will destroy this movie, just like it has done for other movies. Until they put the time and the effort to where it counts, leave out the computers for once, is when we'll get a real Superman movie without it feeling like a video game at times (Superman Returns).
post #87 of 1022 Old 07-24-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

The amazing experience behind the original was that it was the first time that audiences believed that a man could fly.

Sure, fly in front of a front projection screen.

Sanjay
post #88 of 1022 Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/0...eel-exclusive/

Lawrence Fishburne to play Perry White.

What an odd choice.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #89 of 1022 Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

What an odd choice.

LOL - no stranger then Will Smith as Jim West in Wild Wild West.
post #90 of 1022 Old 08-03-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

What an odd choice.

They dyed me this color!

/obscure?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page