Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Who says there can't be two?

Good point.
However, usually there is one everyone remembers from years gone by...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Does anyone else think this 3rd movie will have the least B.O.?

I have a theory that says The Avengers will suck some of the interest in superhero movies outta the marketplace by virtue of its great success/ubiquitous.
Anyone care to comment?

No idea on the BO take, but I do know that I'm less excited about this one than I was a couple of months or so ago. I'm sure I'll go see it and enjoy it, though. Maybe my lack of enthusiasm is from seeing the same trailer(s) for so long. Although, even seeing the newest trailer on the bigscreen before Avengers didn't do much to get me further excited.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #633 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
^^^ regarding B.O. .... I don't know, I think the tone of Nolan's Batman franchise is so different than The Avengers' that people expect a different movie anyway. The Dark Knight Rises promises a really dark story without much room for funny one-liners and stuff. And people will want to know if Tom Hardy's Bane lives up, somehow, to Ledger's Joker. Ah well we'll see... The Avengers surpassed my expectations. With TDKR my expectations are higher, and somehow I think it will deliver, I trust Christopher Nolan, and I trust he wants to end his trilogy on a high note.
post #634 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The success of a sequel depends alot on how good the movie was before it. TDK did ride alot on Batman Begins. And TDKR will depend alot on how good people thought TDK was.

I was a bit let down by TDK, and is not that excited about this one.
post #635 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

The success of a sequel depends alot on how good the movie was before it. TDK did ride alot on Batman Begins. And TDKR will depend alot on how good people thought TDK was.

I thought it was good, but the final scene with "Scarface" or whoever he was should have been cut....
TDK just felt too long as a movie.
We had The Joker and he was great and should have been the focus.
The other character seemed somewhat tacked on and unnecessary (IMO).

post #636 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought it was good, but the final scene with "Scarface" or whoever he was should have been cut....
TDK just felt too long as a movie.
We had The Joker and he was great and should have been the focus.
The other character seemed somewhat tacked on and unnecessary (IMO).

I always said that TDK was two movies turned into one. The "second" movie suffered because of it.
post #637 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
People had massive expectations of TDK before its release. Preconceived notions that it'd be incredible. I loved it when I first saw it (most likely from the hype), but after that it died quickly. I still watch Batman Begins, but not TDK.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #638 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

I'm the opposite I loved TDK.

Frank

post #639 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
One reviewer referred to TDK as "interminable", and I tend to agree with him. It does seem quite long.
post #640 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I like the 2 Nolan Bats, but don't love 'em.
IMO, the hype has exceeded the product to some degree.

post #641 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

People had massive expectations of TDK before its release. Preconceived notions that it'd be incredible. I loved it when I first saw it (most likely from the hype), but after that it died quickly. I still watch Batman Begins, but not TDK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'm the opposite I loved TDK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

One reviewer referred to TDK as "interminable", and I tend to agree with him. It does seem quite long.

When I first saw The Dark Knight, I thought it was a fine film but not as good a film as Batman Begins. It grew on me, though, and has become one of my all time favorite films of any genre. I am clearly not alone. Based on nearly 700,000 votes, IMDB voters rank The Dark Knight at #8 on the site's Top 250 list.

Long films have become Christopher Nolan's trademark. Most of his masterpieces, including Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, and Inception, run the better part of two and a half hours. The only exception was Memento, which runs slightly less that two hours. By the way, I have the BD of each of those films in my highly selective collection. Make of that what you will.
post #642 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I like the 2 Nolan Bats, but don't love 'em.
IMO, the hype has exceeded the product to some degree.

AS far as BO goes it will beat Begins but not come close to DK! $340M domestic!

Quote:

It grew on me, though, and has become one of my all time favorite films of any genre

Same here..BB is more of a popcorn summer flick while DK is much darker and a far more dramatic AND epic flick. I can watch BB much more frequently than DK from beginning to end!
post #643 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

Same here..BB is more of a popcorn summer flick while DK is much darker and a far more dramatic AND epic flick. I can watch BB much more frequently than DK from beginning to end!

+1! The Dark Knight is literally a tragedy.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Our hero has discovered that he really is Batman and Bruce Wayne is his disguise. The film is an exploration of the horribly high price he must pay for that. Batman is as nutty as a fruitcake, knows it, but can't help himself, no matter how high the price.
If that's not tragic, I don't know what is.
post #644 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Many films claim the title/description of "psychological thriller" but IMO, none, and I mean none compare to TDK's mind bending. When I left the theater I not only was mentally exhausted (in a good way) but I also felt changed. I literally felt like I peered into the mind of a true psychopath. All of the elements of Nolan's Batman made it a very good movie to begin with but that put it far over the top IMO.
post #645 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Many films claim the title/description of "psychological thriller" but IMO, none, and I mean none compare to TDK's mind bending. When I left the theater I not only was mentally exhausted (in a good way) but I also felt changed. I literally felt like I peered into the mind of a true psychopath. All of the elements of Nolan's Batman made it a very good movie to begin with but that put it far over the top IMO.

Exactly! Nolan's Batman is a hero in most ways but a seriously deranged hero nonetheless. Without doubt, The Dark Knight is the darkest and most thoughtful exploration in film history of the psyche of a costumed cartoon hero.
post #646 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Exactly! Nolan's Batman is a hero in most ways but a seriously deranged hero nonetheless. Without doubt, The Dark Knight is the darkest and most thoughtful exploration in film history of the psyche of a costumed cartoon hero.

Villian too. Beyond that of the (Joker's) make up and creepy motions, his twisted view and ultimate manipulation made a lasting impression and gave cause (beyond the scope of it being just a movie) to view society from a different perspective.

To view that movie as simply "Batman" with cool toys and a cool costume running around solving a crime is to really miss the ride. TDK is a very, very deep movie.
post #647 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 AM
fsi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TDK is in my humble opinion the best comic book based movie and the 2nd best movie of any genre after Pan's Labyrinth.
post #648 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

It doesn't seem that TDKR is getting the same level of marketing the TDK enjoyed. It's almost June, and there's been one weak viral marketing campaign run, where as we'd be knee deep in the puzzle by now by TDK standards.

Budget cuts at studios?
post #649 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

It doesn't seem that TDKR is getting the same level of marketing the TDK enjoyed. It's almost June, and there's been one weak viral marketing campaign run, where as we'd be knee deep in the puzzle by now by TDK standards.

Budget cuts at studios?

Not gonna say budget cuts aren't possible but they'd be throwing money out the window spending cash on promoting the movie now. The Avengers will cloud every dollar they spend. I suspect they will wait another month, if not until July altogether and then ramp up the marketing.
post #650 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 12:20 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

Budget cuts at studios?

The movie opens in almost 2 months from today. The public has a memory span measured in days, not weeks. Way too early to spend the big bucks for marketing.
post #651 of 1595 Old 05-23-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The movie opens in almost 2 months from today. The public has a memory span measured in days, not weeks. Way too early to spend the big bucks for marketing.

Besides, it's not like people don't know it's coming. Not saying the don't need the marketing but there's time to create good buzz again and it won't take much.

Related though, the Tumbler is making an appearance in my city if that counts for anything.
post #652 of 1595 Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Liked: 10
We're all entitled to our opinion. Some think TDK is overrated, some prefer Batman Begins. Some seem to prefer the Burton Batman. I'm sure there's someone out there who prefers the nipple-laced Schumacher version of Batman and Robin.
I don't consider myself an expert on much, but I've spent a long time watching super hero movies--it's sort of an accepted way for adults to read comics, which I probably quit reading too early in life, this is my form of compensation.
My view is that the Dark Knight is borderline genius work. I wouldn't say that about any other super hero movie--I think there are scenes of others that are on that level--the train scene in Spider Man 2 comes to mind.
The Dark Knight has so many components that are easy to ignore--but think back to the first time you saw it. Have you ever seen a bank robbery like that scene--it was utterly original and set the scene for the movie. The scene with Ledger introducing himself to the crime bosses (the pencil trick is disturbing, but you laugh anyway). The scene where Batman interrogates Eric Roberts--brilliantly funny and sensible. The interrogation scene with the Joker in prison--which I think both Nolan and Bale cite as their favorite, is gripping as well. There are little things sprinkled in as well--Ledger applying anti-bacterial cream in the hospital, that round out the fillm.
People argue that Ledger stole the film--okay, what's wrong with that. It was a fabulous performance. It remains remarkable that he won an Oscar--which I think he would have gotten whether he passed away or not. Nolan obviously recognized where Ledger could take the movie and gave him some liberty. Small things, like licking his lips constantly, weren't scripted, they just seemed natural.
Are there flaws?--Batman's voice is silly--and painful (try to impersonate it for a 5 minute conversation-you'll be coughing). But if you think back to when you first saw it, you may remember the incredible craftsmanship and originality of the movie.
Just my $.02.
post #653 of 1595 Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:

Besides, it's not like people don't know it's coming. Not saying the don't need the marketing but there's time to create good buzz again and it won't take much.

Related though, the Tumbler is making an appearance in my city if that counts for anything.

WB just released 6 new posters:

http://collider.com/the-dark-knight-...osters/168015/
post #654 of 1595 Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheron1701 View Post

We're all entitled to our opinion. Some think TDK is overrated, some prefer Batman Begins. Some seem to prefer the Burton Batman. I'm sure there's someone out there who prefers the nipple-laced Schumacher version of Batman and Robin.
I don't consider myself an expert on much, but I've spent a long time watching super hero movies--it's sort of an accepted way for adults to read comics, which I probably quit reading too early in life, this is my form of compensation.
My view is that the Dark Knight is borderline genius work. I wouldn't say that about any other super hero movie--I think there are scenes of others that are on that level--the train scene in Spider Man 2 comes to mind.
The Dark Knight has so many components that are easy to ignore--but think back to the first time you saw it. Have you ever seen a bank robbery like that scene--it was utterly original and set the scene for the movie. The scene with Ledger introducing himself to the crime bosses (the pencil trick is disturbing, but you laugh anyway). The scene where Batman interrogates Eric Roberts--brilliantly funny and sensible. The interrogation scene with the Joker in prison--which I think both Nolan and Bale cite as their favorite, is gripping as well. There are little things sprinkled in as well--Ledger applying anti-bacterial cream in the hospital, that round out the fillm.
People argue that Ledger stole the film--okay, what's wrong with that. It was a fabulous performance. It remains remarkable that he won an Oscar--which I think he would have gotten whether he passed away or not. Nolan obviously recognized where Ledger could take the movie and gave him some liberty. Small things, like licking his lips constantly, weren't scripted, they just seemed natural.
Are there flaws?--Batman's voice is silly--and painful (try to impersonate it for a 5 minute conversation-you'll be coughing). But if you think back to when you first saw it, you may remember the incredible craftsmanship and originality of the movie.
Just my $.02.

Excellent post, thanks.
post #655 of 1595 Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I'm glad you mentioned how ridiculous Batmans voice is. That really took me outta the movie. A shame
post #656 of 1595 Old 05-24-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here is the REAL Batmobile (or so a teenage girl told me at the gas station the other day):
http://www.iseecars.com/Car_Listing/...A_MESA_CA.html

post #657 of 1595 Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

I'm glad you mentioned how ridiculous Batmans voice is. That really took me outta the movie. A shame

How do you suggest Batman change his voice so people don't figure out it's Bruce Wayne?
post #658 of 1595 Old 05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozilla314 View Post

How do you suggest Batman change his voice so people don't figure out it's Bruce Wayne?

Extremly girly would work.
post #659 of 1595 Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
We've run out of things to talk about...

...this needs to come out sooner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #660 of 1595 Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Happens all the time around here....

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags