The Dark Knight Rises - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1595 Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
The bottom of the book actually says "By the man who helped make him a phenomenon". I checked the "look inside" thinking it might have been written as a spoof of some sort but the guy is really trying to give a point of view. It's really pathetic. I bet the "Baleheads" would offer a lot of cash to see Christian dress up in his Batman costume one more time and beat the snot out of this guy. Not that I condone violence but if he's dressed up like Batman then it's not real violence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1595 Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The latest trailer courtesy Entertainment Weekly, for those that didn't catch it on the MTV Awards.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/06/0...s/?hpt=hp_bn16
post #723 of 1595 Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Tix are now on sale. I was in a meeting when they dropped and the midnight at KOP IMAX is sold out. Settled for the Friday IMAX @ 7PM.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #724 of 1595 Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 130
^ I'll try to make it some time after the initial nerd rush here. I let those guys calm down before I get trampled. Maybe the following week on a week day.

EDIT: Not that any of you fine folks are nerds for going to see it opening night (unless you're Nerd and Proud).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #725 of 1595 Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/18/12281823-will-dark-knight-fans-really-pay-100-for-scalped-tickets?lite

They're scalping tickets at $100 a pop?! I more convinced than ever that the Mayans had it right!
post #726 of 1595 Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #727 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

For those interested, there's an article titled "Why Batman needs to die in Dark Knight Rises". Nothing really revealing about the film, just more about the rumor and why it makes sense from a sociological perspective.
post #728 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

For those interested, there's an article titled "Why Batman needs to die in Dark Knight Rises". Nothing really revealing about the film, just more about the rumor and why it makes sense from a sociological perspective.
I doubt Nolan will do that.
WB already has plans to continue the character.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #729 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:

with a title like "The Dark Knight Rises", if they do that I will sue Warner for false advertising tongue.gif
post #730 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The title could have two meanings relating to "rises" as I contemplate it. I personally suspect that it will be more of a situation where such a statement will be made for taking Gotham back that he kind of won't be needed anymore because the citizens will be empowered. But he will always be in the back of everyone's mind. But that's just me.
post #731 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The title could have two meanings relating to "rises" as I contemplate it. I personally suspect that it will be more of a situation where such a statement will be made for taking Gotham back that he kind of won't be needed anymore because the citizens will be empowered. But he will always be in the back of everyone's mind. But that's just me.
I think it might mean The Dark Knight be movin' on up. Like George and Weezy.

Stephen.

post #732 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Dude, call your shots, I'm still at work! Totally laughed out loud!
post #733 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

To the deee-lux batcave in the sky-i-i.

From the way they keep harping on the word 'conclusion' in the trailers, I think this may be the end for Bruce.

Catwoman: "You've given them everything."
Batman: "Not everything. Not yet."

Sanjay
post #734 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I don't understand the point of killing off a superhero, unless it's to do a makeover (I know that was done with Superman). Any hero that winds up defeated/destroyed isn't much of a hero.
post #735 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Any hero that winds up defeated/destroyed isn't much of a hero.
Even when he gives his life (in a spectacular/cinematic death) to defeat the villian? Like Randy Quaid at the end of 'Independence Day'. He was destroyed, but not defeated.

Sanjay
post #736 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I don't understand the point of killing off a superhero, unless it's to do a makeover (I know that was done with Superman). Any hero that winds up defeated/destroyed isn't much of a hero.
The simple fact that killing off a major superhero would mean that Hollywood was trading in a cash cow keeps me from believing he'll die. Then again, if there's one thing that my wife's soap operas have taught me...they can always come back. As they said in Congo, there's several levels of dead. My guess is if they kill him off, he'll be resurrected somehow by Superman, then the two will fight a megasuperbadguy together, even though Bruce is just a man and not a colossally strong alien who has a problem with fake emeralds. Perhaps Bruce and Luscious can make a cell phone based device (or tablet based now) that will afford Superman the ability to Facebook and Tweet while he's kicking ass.

Stephen.

post #737 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'm not gonna predict that Bruce will die in this film, but as sdurani pointed out, the advertising has been pretty clear that this is the end of THIS version of the character. So while there is no doubt that WB will not waste a lot of time getting Batman back on the big screen, whatever comes next will not be Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale's version. So I don't see why they shouldn't go out with a bang.

Rocky
post #738 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

I'm not gonna predict that Bruce will die in this film, but as sdurani pointed out, the advertising has been pretty clear that this is the end of THIS version of the character. So while there is no doubt that WB will not waste a lot of time getting Batman back on the big screen, whatever comes next will not be Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale's version. So I don't see why they shouldn't go out with a bang.

Exactly right...it is the end of THIS interpretation of the character. The next Bat-film will not be a continuation of the Nolan-verse. It will be a new take with a Batman that can be part of the Justice League. The Bale version is a seperate, self-contained series that will have no connection to the subsequent movies.

post #739 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Even when he gives his life (in a spectacular/cinematic death) to defeat the villian? Like Randy Quaid at the end of 'Independence Day'. He was destroyed, but not defeated.
I agree that choosing to die isn't necessarily the same as being defeated. In the last segment of Heavy Metal, Taarna defeats evil by sacrificing herself. except it isn't really a sacrifice, because defeating evil is her highest purpose. But these characters are different from an ongoing superhero character such as Batman.
post #740 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They may not kill off Bruce, maybe have Bane break his spine, as happened in the comics. Then someone else (maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character John Blake) can fill in for him while he recouperates, similar to what happened in the comics.

Nolan has mentioned that he would like to see the character continued or re-booted once he's done with his version. So, since I'm daydreaming anyway, I hope they start fresh with a new Batman movie that can (along with a Superman movie and others) work its way towards a Justice League film.

Sanjay
post #741 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They may not kill off Bruce, maybe have Bane break his spine, as happened in the comics. Then someone else (maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character John Blake) can fill in for him while he recouperates, similar to what happened in the comics.
Nolan has mentioned that he would like to see the character continued or re-booted once he's done with his version. So, since I'm daydreaming anyway, I hope they start fresh with a new Batman movie that can (along with a Superman movie and others) work its way towards a Justice League film.
Not bad, Sanjay. Not bad. Daydream away, my friend.

Stephen.

post #742 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't mind that scenario, Sanjay, as long as the Nolan movie doesn't end on a downer.
post #743 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

It will be a new take with a Batman that can be part of the Justice League.
We have had more than enough Batmans and Supermans already.
These movies are repeating themselves...how many more Origin Stories do we need?

For fncks sake, do the Justice League!
And maybe rake in the $$$ like The Avengers did....

post #744 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

For fncks sake, do the Justice League!
And maybe rake in the $$$ like The Avengers did....
That'd work for me. There's no reason Warners has to follow the same route as Marvel. In fact, they could show a little originality by taking the opposite path: do a Justice League film now and then follow up with films based on individual characters (maybe building to a JL sequel). Fox tried to do that by following up the X-Men movies with a Wolverine film and were supposed to do a Magneto film next (similar to what we saw in First Class). If the box office success of Avengers didn't inspire Warner Bros, I don't know what will.

Sanjay
post #745 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 PM

Liked: 44
post #746 of 1595 Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If the box office success of Avengers didn't inspire Warner Bros, I don't know what will.
Agreed....except we are talking about WB.wink.gif

post #747 of 1595 Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thinking about Quaid's character in Independence Day and comparing him to this conversation of superheros is, well, superfunny! Should have save that for Friday to take us into the weekend with a big laugh! I make light of your point, which I totally understand and agree with, but having said all of that, what's really pertinent to this comparison is that Quaid and Wayne/Batman are both mortal. So death for this is plausible and to an extent expected or at least feared. The other thing to consider with Batman is that, as scripted in Batman Begins, the idea was to become something bigger than himself (Wayne), an image that people will fear. It was/is the concept of Batman that is the superhero, therefore, in the event of his death (assuming it's not public and his identity is made known), virtually anyone could continue the image of Batman. The is also what happened in The Mask of Zorro. The original became aged and he brought on and trained a new Zorro.
post #748 of 1595 Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

A Justice League movie has been "worked on" since the mid-'90s. One was greenlit almost immediately after the failure of Batman and Robin. That was scrapped in favor of Tim Burton's "Superman Lives" project, which also fell through. It was fast-tracked again, and then scrapped for Batman Begins. Then it was greenlit again, and scapped for Superman Returns. This is a never-ending cycle for Warner Bros. and DC. They both want to do it, but just can't figure out how to make it work.

The success of The Avengers has no doubt put a fire under their butts to try again, I'm sure. The difference is that Marvel was incredibly savvy about paving the way for The Avengers with individual movies for the main characters that were all designed from the start to lead to the crossover event. Warner and DC just can't seem to get organized enough to make something like that happen.

Given the utter clusterfrack that DC's "New 52" initiative has turned out to be, it's painfully clear that the current people in charge of the company have little idea what they're doing and no ability at all to make long-term plans for their properties. Even their most important characters and franchises are subject to major shifts in direction at the drop of a hat.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #749 of 1595 Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

A Justice League movie has been "worked on" since the mid-'90s. One was greenlit almost immediately after the failure of Batman and Robin. That was scrapped in favor of Tim Burton's "Superman Lives" project, which also fell through. It was fast-tracked again, and then scrapped for Batman Begins. Then it was greenlit again, and scapped for Superman Returns. This is a never-ending cycle for Warner Bros. and DC. They both want to do it, but just can't figure out how to make it work.
The success of The Avengers has no doubt put a fire under their butts to try again, I'm sure. The difference is that Marvel was incredibly savvy about paving the way for The Avengers with individual movies for the main characters that were all designed from the start to lead to the crossover event. Warner and DC just can't seem to get organized enough to make something like that happen.
Given the utter clusterfrack that DC's "New 52" initiative has turned out to be, it's painfully clear that the current people in charge of the company have little idea what they're doing and no ability at all to make long-term plans for their properties. Even their most important characters and franchises are subject to major shifts in direction at the drop of a hat.

Agreed. Having seen that the concept is plausible with The Avengers, they'll be quite motivated to make it happen and they have a very good springboard with the current Batman series with Bale. The problem is, this is ALL they have so getting buy in from moviegoers will be tough. Basically, they'd have to create Marvels success in reverse. Bring out Justice League with excellent character development/appeal, excellent screenplay, excellent imagery and effects and excellent marketing. Even with Dark Knight writers, a daunting task at best. There's I guess to generate buzz and buy in if they brought Bale back for an appearance and hopefully through character development springboard other DC superhero movies following Justice League. But they're SOOOO behind on this one it's not even funny. Anyone have hopes for Man of Steel?
post #750 of 1595 Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Not to mention the utter disaster that GREEN LANTERN turned out to be.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page