Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I thought it was easily the equal to Batman Begins (if not superior) but not as good as TDK. Still enjoyed it greatly and the ending was perfect.

post #903 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Well, the only reason I wouldn't do that is that there are thousands of theaters out there counting on the income. There are ways to show respect without pulling the movie, and I'm sure the theater where this happened will be closed (for a lot longer than a week.)
If this happened at, say, the Spider-Man musical in NYC, where it's just the one venue, sure they'd close the show for a time out of respect, but we're talking thousands of screens.

I'd be more worried that scenes might possibly be deleted if any seem to close or similar to what occurred in this terrible tragedy. Pretty much ensures that the next version of Batman will be "lighter."

post #904 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

Well, the only reason I wouldn't do that is that there are thousands of theaters out there counting on the income. There are ways to show respect without pulling the movie, and I'm sure the theater where this happened will be closed (for a lot longer than a week.)
If this happened at, say, the Spider-Man musical in NYC, where it's just the one venue, sure they'd close the show for a time out of respect, but we're talking thousands of screens.

It’s also an overreaction. Schools didn’t close nationwide after the Columbine shooting. New security measures were taken, but schools didn’t close. There were 349 people killed by tornados over a 3-day period in 2011, and I don’t recall everyone staying home, hiding in their basements, and grieving. I’m amazed at people’s paranoia when incidents like this happen. It’s a tragedy and I feel for everyone involved, but that shouldn’t mean life should cease to exist. I can’t live my life in fear. YMMV.
post #905 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Actually I just read my post again and yes I did so I will edit. I guess when I come on here to see what is being said about happened and nothing meaningful is said about the attacker and what kind of a weirdo he is but two full posts are about how bad guns are I just went with what I believe.
post #906 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

It’s also an overreaction. Schools didn’t close nationwide after the Columbine shooting. New security measures were taken, but schools didn’t close. There were 349 people killed by tornados over a 3-day period in 2011, and I don’t recall everyone staying home, hiding in their basements, and grieving. I’m amazed at people’s paranoia when incidents like this happen. It’s a tragedy and I feel for everyone involved, but that shouldn’t mean life should cease to exist. I can’t live my life in fear. YMMV.

I respectfully disagree with the notion of "overreaction". There's a big difference between schools and movies. And the tornado reference, I'm sorry, but that association just doesn't make sense to me. It's more about being respectful regarding those things that really matter. School matters. Continuing the normalcy of life really matters. A movie doesn't and shutting it down for a short period as a way of showing respect is IMO the proper thing to do. My experience growing up in athletics, when someone from the opposing team was injured, everybody took a knee and removed their caps, helmets, etc. It wasn't our team and we were going to continue playing but we took a moment to show respect. Now saying "I'm not going to see it because something might happen" is a whole different story. That's NOT how you take your community and your life back.
post #907 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I guess that depends on the baby. I went to see SW AOTC one evening and this baby just wouldn't stop screaming and crying. The parents had to up and leave pretty quickly.

You are probably right. My son (as a baby) slept really soundly in his removable car seat and we were able to see movies with no problem until he was about 6 months old.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #908 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Actually I just read my post again and yes I did so I will edit. I guess when I come on here to see what is being said about happened and nothing meaningful is said about the attacker and what kind of a weirdo he is but two full posts are about how bad guns are I just went with what I believe.

Guns + Psychos Kill people, happy? I still hate guns, and the psychos who easily get them!

DJoel
post #909 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

What - you're saying they should bury the story? eek.gif
Every nation on earth has a certain percentage of sick, deranged, unbalanced, disenfranchised people who could "snap" at any moment and do awful things.
Always has been the case.

Quote:

You have a better chance of getting killed driving to the theater than being involved in an event like this. You have to live your life. If you live in fear and limit what you do because of fear, then why be alive?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I personally think the studios should pull the film at least for this weekend if not the course of the next week. Not because it's any of their doing but as a demonstration of respect and remembrance for the victims and their families.
The problem with that is it would encourage other nutjobs, who crave attention, to do other nutty things.
The guy who did this deliberately chose a "stage" for his deed, it wasn't random, it was very focused.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #910 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

School matters. Continuing the normalcy of life really matters. A movie doesn't and shutting it down for a short period as a way of showing respect is IMO the proper thing to do.

You are forgetting this is AVS. This thread was started on 10/27/10, and I suspect there are more than a few here who consider seeing this movie vital to their survival, and missing one day could lead to their extinction. biggrin.gif

I do understand and respect what you are saying I just disagree. Tragedies happen around the world every day and we don’t shut down. Do tragedies only count if they are American tragedies? I think far more people would like to grieve on their own than have a massive movie shutdown, which accomplishes nothing except to give power and attention to people who perpetrate such incidents. If people feel they can do this kind of thing and get the country to shut down then they win, and I’ll be damned if I’m willing to give them that kind of power and attention.
Djoel likes this.
post #911 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

I do understand and respect what you are saying I just disagree. Tragedies happen around the world every day and we don’t shut down. Do tragedies only count if they are American tragedies? I think far more people would like to grieve on their own than have a massive movie shutdown, which accomplishes nothing except to give power and attention to people who perpetrate such incidents. If people feel they can do this kind of thing and get the country to shut down then they win, and I’ll be damned if I’m willing to give them that kind of power and attention.

+1.
post #912 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 118
So we had the death threats on Rotten Tomatoes now this. What the F is wrong with people?! My heart goes out to everyone affected. Watched the video of people fleeing the theater and almost lost it when the little boy in a batman suit ran out. frown.gif

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #913 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Liked: 10
Not gonna ger into what happened in colorado, i'll leave that up to The msnbc boards. I saw The movie last night and while it was good i dont think it will have that ”re-watchable” factor like The others. There's not really that much batman Or suave bruce Wayne moments like in The others for me. If i had to rank them i''d go dark Knight>begins>rises, but thats just me
post #914 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

So we had the death threats on Rotten Tomatoes now this. What the F is wrong with people?! My heart goes out to everyone affected. Watched the video of people fleeing the theater and almost lost it when the little boy in a batman suit ran out. frown.gif
Seriously... I read the article about the guy and his booby trapped apartment, I'm at a complete loss in understanding what the hell is going on here but find it hear wrenching as you do. My prayers to all those affected.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #915 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are forgetting this is AVS. This thread was started on 10/27/10, and I suspect there are more than a few here who consider seeing this movie vital to their survival, and missing one day could lead to their extinction. biggrin.gif

Granted my feelings about it are my feelings and if were the CEO there is no doubt that I would take this action. Having said that, if they don't I certainly won't hold any grudge about it nor will I look down on anyone who chooses to see it today, tomorrow whenever. We all handle tragedies in different ways and who's to say one way is better than the other. Frankly, a point that neither of us has really brought up but I think is valid is the very reason I enjoy movies as much as I do. Escapism. It's not about hiding from the world but just a couple hours of down time. For many I'm sure the distraction/entertainment of a movie will help them cope in their own way.
post #916 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Now with respect to postpone showings or keeping them open, it would really be cool if all theaters save the one in Colorado, to remain open and, say, a $1 from each ticket and percentage of each concession be contributed to those families and anti-violence organizations. I haven't thought it all the way through but I bet moviegoers could make a powerful statement that way.
post #917 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
WB did postpone the premiere of the movie in other countries, and pulled a trailer for a movie that, by coincidence, had characters shooting up a movie theater audience.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #918 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:

Well, the only reason I wouldn't do that is that there are thousands of theaters out there counting on the income.
Agreed. I don't see how cutting the income of theatre owners across the country will help anybody. Considering the way some fans were treating critics recently, I hope the motive for this incident wasn't related to the film or subject thereof.

Sanjay
post #919 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeks32 View Post

Not gonna ger into what happened in colorado, i'll leave that up to The msnbc boards. I saw The movie last night and while it was good i dont think it will have that ”re-watchable” factor like The others. There's not really that much batman Or suave bruce Wayne moments like in The others for me. If i had to rank them i''d go dark Knight>begins>rises, but thats just me

Really?? Leave that up to the MSNBC boards?? Are you that cynical to think only gun-control advocates are outraged about the tragedy? Pray tell me what Fox News and Drudge boards must be abuzz about right now. rolleyes.gif Why do you have to be or against guns to say anything about this incident? If you didn't want to get into the tragedy, say just as much without the cheap shots at any particular channel or political wing. mad.gif
post #920 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Agreed. I don't see how cutting the income of theatre owners across the country will help anybody. Considering the way some fans were treating critics recently, I hope the motive for this incident wasn't related to the film or subject thereof.

Well, the guy supposedly dyed his hair red and referred to himself as The Joker. I don't think he was reacting to bad reviews.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #921 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Really?? Leave that up to the MSNBC boards?? Are you that cynical to think only gun-control advocates are outraged about the tragedy? Pray tell me what Fox News and Drudge boards must be abuzz about right now. rolleyes.gif Why do you have to be or against guns to say anything about this incident? If you didn't want to get into the tragedy, say just as much without the cheap shots at any particular channel or political wing. mad.gif

Relax, it was just a news site that came to mind first, nothing political. Im just saying i come here to read about movies and go to other sites to read about current events. While as tragic as what happend in colorado is, i'd like to just talk about The movie here
post #922 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeks32 View Post

Relax, it was just a news site that came to mind first, nothing political. Im just saying i come here to read about movies and go to other sites to read about current events. While as tragic as what happend in colorado is, i'd like to just talk about The movie here

Yeah.. you are right. Maybe my outburst was uncalled for. redface.gif I was just upset at hearing the news, and just so happened to have learned about it on MSNBC before I read your post.

Going to see the movie tomorrow, and hope for a safe, smooth and enjoyable viewing for everyone.

Peace!
post #923 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM

Liked: 44
Colorado has the death penalty
post #924 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
holy f*** batman.

so sad and horrific. i won't be going to see it this weekend as my heart is too heavy.
no joy or fun to be found in the cinema anytime soon as I think about the victims and their families.

can't help but wonder about the plots of tdk and tdkr which contain rather explicit acts of random violence
against innocent civilians and wonder if that might have had something to do with an already twisted mind
thought process......

neflixis our nemesis
post #925 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I despise any attempt to shift blame from where it properly belongs (a twisted, f**cked up individual) to something else ("society", "lack of gun control", "the movie", etc.). Blame for this belongs in one place and one place ONLY, dammit: The perpetrator.
Quote:
For me, they can't use it soon enough.
post #926 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

For me, they can't use it soon enough.

I always view that as the easy way out. I guess if you think that ends a souls existence and they go to hell and remain for eternity, or they are completely snuffed out, then it works. I don’t happen to believe in that dogma.
post #927 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

I always view that as the easy way out. I guess if you think that ends a souls existence and they go to hell and remain for eternity, or they are completely snuffed out, then it works. I don’t happen to believe in that dogma.
Maybe the death penalty is appropriate punishment to the shooter in this instance.
Obviously, he fears death...he was wearing body armor.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #928 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

Ahhhh - I wouldn't touch your post with a 10 foot pole. eek.gif

Maybe you understand the difference between being put to death for capital crimes versus being warehoused by the state for the rest of his natural life - he is 24 years old.
post #929 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

I guess if you think that ends a souls existence and they go to hell and remain for eternity, or they are completely snuffed out, then it works.
I couldn't care less what happens to his "soul". I simply want to remove from existence someone who has forfeited his right to that existence.
post #930 of 1595 Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

For those that have seen DKR, violence and intensity wise, how does it compare to TDK? I'm trying to gauge whether to take my kids.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page