The Dark Knight Rises - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1595 Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Box Office Report: 'Dark Knight Rises' Opens to Massive $160.9 Mil

'Dark Knight Rises' Generates $19 Million Opening Weekend on Domestic Imax Screens

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dark-knight-rises-imax-opening-weekend-353170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1595 Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The film's primary weakness, it seemed to me, was that its dialog was often muddy, sometimes to the point of incomprehensibility. Also, I thought that the mask covering the face of the arch criminal, Bane, relegated Tom Hardy to acting with, figuratively speaking, one arm tied behind his back. The wonderful twists at the end were terrific, though, I couldn't have asked for more. I particularly appreciated the ambiguity created by what Alfred saw in the outdoor European cafe in the film's last scene. The Dark Knight Rises was a worthy conclusion to Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy. 8 Stars out of 10.

Good stuff looking forward in watching it soon ( hopefully )

Frank
post #993 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Box Office Report: 'Dark Knight Rises' Opens to Massive $160.9 Mil
'Dark Knight Rises' Generates $19 Million Opening Weekend on Domestic Imax Screens
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dark-knight-rises-imax-opening-weekend-353170

Pretty impressive numbers, but I can't help but wonder about he unfortunate violets that happen in Colorado deterred some folks away over the weekend skewing the numbers abit across the country.

I've seen the first two in Imax, will see this one as well, can't wait..

DJoel
post #994 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Pretty impressive numbers, but I can't help but wonder about he unfortunate violets that happen in Colorado deterred some folks away over the weekend skewing the numbers abit across the country.

I read it's about 15 or 20 million less than the initial projections. I think it won't affect its overall performance though. People are seeing the film and there's probably good word of mouth as well. I've seen it twice and both times people cheered and applauded during the credits.
post #995 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I was one that didn't go see it the first week as a sign of remembrance for the Aurora victims. I will be going this Friday to take in an IMAX viewing.
post #996 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I was one that didn't go see it the first week as a sign of remembrance for the Aurora victims. I will be going this Friday to take in an IMAX viewing.
I was told by one of the staff at the IMAX theater where I saw The Dark Knight Rises that every showing was sold out over the weekend. Even at the 10:30 AM Monday morning showing i saw, the theater was about two-thirds full.
post #997 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Despite buying their tickets in advance many people chose to not to go I guess. That's interesting to me.
post #998 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Despite buying their tickets in advance many people chose to not to go I guess. That's interesting to me.
Monday is not part of the weekend, usually.

post #999 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

sound is incredible in the Imax, but like you, I had trouble getting all the dialogue as well. I picked up on some of it the second time through, but still didn't catch all of it.

Yes seriously, the sound is amazing in IMAX. I think my favorite part of the sound of the entire movie was at the beginning when they showed the aerial shot of the CIA plane….then all of sudden Bane’s plane comes into the scene close to the camera and you just hear this immense low rumble.

Other great thing about IMAX is how there was no trailers or commericals whatsoever. Blank screen then the movie started at the time it said on the ticket. It has more impact that way because your not sitting through 15 mins of other movies
post #1000 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:

I was told by one of the staff at the IMAX theater where I saw The Dark Knight Rises that every showing was sold out over the weekend. Even at the 10:30 AM Monday morning showing i saw, the theater was about two-thirds full.

I witness the same on Monday morning, packed theater. I posted this in another thread but from my obesrvations, the demand on 15/70 IMAX theaters is much less than compared to TDKs from what I can tell due to the all the digital IMAX theaters that popped up since 2008. For example all of the 7pm 15/70 IMAX shows for TDK were sold out in a week advance for a couple weeks back in 2008. Now just 7pm show is sold out one day in advance as oppose to a 5 days in advance.
post #1001 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

Other great thing about IMAX is how there was no trailers or commericals whatsoever. Blank screen then the movie started at the time it said on the ticket. It has more impact that way because your not sitting through 15 mins of other movies

Is this always the case with IMAX showings? I was surprised when the movie started immediately, and TDKR was the 1st IMAX movie I have ever seen redface.gif.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #1002 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Is this always the case with IMAX showings? I was surprised when the movie started immediately, and TDKR was the 1st IMAX movie I have ever seen redface.gif.

No. I think it's a local theater's call. I saw Spidy in IMAX 3-D in Charlotte, got there early, and was rewarded by having to sit through several of the same commercials I've seen on my home television. They're even more irritating when they're 30 feet high and you've paid $17 for the "priviledge" of watching even more advertising. mad.gif
post #1003 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

I witness the same on Monday morning, packed theater. I posted this in another thread but from my obesrvations, the demand on 15/70 IMAX theaters is much less than compared to TDKs from what I can tell due to the all the digital IMAX theaters that popped up since 2008. For example all of the 7pm 15/70 IMAX shows for TDK were sold out in a week advance for a couple weeks back in 2008. Now just 7pm show is sold out one day in advance as oppose to a 5 days in advance.
There is no complete substitute for 15/70 IMAX but the brand new Moore Warren IMAX, which has a 101' wide screen, comes extremely close. Bill Warren spent a bundle on the Moore Warren and its sister IMAX in Wichita but from all indications he is making a killing with them. If the influence of the Moore Warren IMAX has had on me is any guide, it has hurt the LieMAX theaters that are in a few OKC cineplexes. I just won't see IMAX in one of them any more. Why would I, when I can see the real thing at the Moore Warren?
post #1004 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Yeah Steve we get at least 3 to 4 trailers which are cool before the main event here in NYC 68th street Lincoln center (real Imax) there are lite Imax out here as well rolleyes.gif

edit:
Wait you guys don't get the 5-4-3-2-1 count down ? with the crazy thunderous bass and surround thing going on??? I love to scream as loud as possible during number j/k biggrin.gif

It can be about the particular showing I guess, like Avatar on Blu Ray it starts right away which I like smile.gif

DJoel
post #1005 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It is the policy of all Warren Theaters in Wichita to run no commercials in all of their theaters. They do show trailers.
I recently saw a show out of town, and was struck by how tedious it was to have to set through 30 minutes of ads. frown.gif

Endowed from birth with the sweet gift of being easy to please
post #1006 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM

My imax showing was weird. No trailers or commercials, and the movie started 3 minutes early :/
Which sucks cause there was still a bunch of people coming in and blocking your view.
post #1007 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Number of posts deleted:
1) Someone posted a spoiler, which we deleted. During the deletion process, someone quoted the spoiler to complain....so that defeated the purpose of our deletion of the post. Moral of the story, please report the issue and not respond to the issue.
2) Someone posted a link to the story about Rush L. comments on the movie. What did that do, resulted in a number of political comments. Rush and his comments don't belong in this thread or AVS. Why? Because AVS is not political website. Original post and responses were deleted.

THANK YOU! yes I yelled.
That being said, the 3 pages I had to sift through about IMAX 70mm something something was annoying.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #1008 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post

My imax showing was weird. No trailers or commercials, and the movie started 3 minutes early :/
Which sucks cause there was still a bunch of people coming in and blocking your view.
Premature projectionists, I hate it when that happens.
raaj and Djoel like this.

post #1009 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I have a constantly changing work schedule so I had to wait til Friday afternoon to purchase Saturday IMAX tickets....Plenty left on THursday but they were sold out on Firday. NOt surprised at all with the empty seats.

BOX OFFICE MOJO reported a Monday $5 million lower than DK's first Monday. Clearly, People are staying away for the time being.
post #1010 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Did anybody who saw this film get to see the 'Man of Steel' trailer as well? No one seems to be mentioning it. I thought it was supposed to be released on-line today.
Had a friend tell me I would see it and guys at ComicCon were going on about how it's the Superman they have always been waiting for. I was pretty amped to see it only for it to grossly disappoint in that it showed nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I hope that means less hyper close-ups and shaky cam. I mean, who knows what fight choreography actually looks like these days? With modern film-making techniques, you can't see any of it.

I went in hoping for the EXACT same thing but alas no, there are hardly any shots with more than a single arm movement. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Batman uses a single gadget in one of his 2 fights against Bane, which is a garage door clicker that turns off lights. To which Bane replies "I was born the dark!" and hand chokes Batman. No Batarangs, smoke, tear gas, tasers, or Batman Arkham City grappling hook rappelling leg kicks.
Maybe this is why I liked The Avengers and have always LOATHED the fight scenes from the Bourne trilogy.

Why can't directors frakkin direct a fight scene to at least be as discernible as Phantom Menace lightsaber fight scenes?
Quote:

For those that have seen DKR, violence and intensity wise, how does it compare to TDK? I'm trying to gauge whether to take my kids.

I think since the Joker isn't in it, the Evil seems less. Also, Bane doesn't use knives. It is PG13, no gore, can't remember any blood except for Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Batman being stabbed. Er, why did he change his suit to the one that doesn't work against knives and bullets in TDK? Seriously!?
There is an obscured pre-rape scene but you don't hear anything sexual and it just looks like someone getting mugged but you know what's about to happen. In my opinion the violence and intensity is not much more than Inception, but I've only seen it once and way later than my normal bedtime.

I saw the Dark Knight Marathon and honestly that is the best decision I've made all month. The audience was great save for a disturbance during TDK with some hoodlums who took some seats (a problem I could imagine happening in many theaters).

It was very easy to sit through all 3 movies and it really helped bring all the story together. I enjoyed it immensely. Having watched all 3 so closely, I can say the pace seemed very consistent and TDKR seemed right in line with the first 2. I feel many people's reviews on the movie are justified, but nothing is so extraordinary that it makes it the best film or just ruins it for you.
I really enjoyed the marathon so much that I pitty all you who didn't view it as a marathon. It was just such a great experience.

The marathon also really helps to bring that feeling up in you about the "idea" that Bruce Wayne embodies through Batman. As this was only my second viewing since first viewing TDK in theater, I also was able to understand more of the storyline nuances that I didn't get with the first theater viewing. So while the transition to Two-Face was quick, I now fully grasp the irony of how he was created and how Joker's plot was so brilliant.

I really try to enjoy the experience, because we all have those pet peeves that we can harp on. I don't like when a movie has a few lines that state the obvious or say what's happening so we don't have to expend mental energy figuring it out only to later in the film do the exact opposite. TDKR had a few of the statements of the obvious and telegraphed moments and I just tell myself this movie is intended for 13yo (or less) and they want everyone to follow.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I liked that Bane broke his back and that he was thrown in the Pit of Despair, but I didn't like how that hole seemed VERY bright and Bane said he grew up in the dark and the first time he saw light he was a man "and it was blinding."
I liked how Bane recognized some of Batman's movements and being from the League of Shadows.
I did not like the surprise ending. It confused me on who the mastermind was. It seems like they wrote it in just so Batman could be with Catwoman.
I didn't like that they wrote the League of Shadows (or whatever) to be finished the previous attempt but during a time when Gotham was logically no longer on the League of Shadows hit list.
I liked Bane the way I liked Joker, in that they were exceptional villains.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #1011 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:

There is no complete substitute for 15/70 IMAX but the brand new Moore Warren IMAX, which has a 101' wide screen, comes extremely close. Bill Warren spent a bundle on the Moore Warren and its sister IMAX in Wichita but from all indications he is making a killing with them. If the influence of the Moore Warren IMAX has had on me is any guide, it has hurt the LieMAX theaters that are in a few OKC cineplexes. I just won't see IMAX in one of them any more. Why would I, when I can see the real thing at the Moore Warren?

That theater is an IMAX Digital theater which uses Christie 2K digital projectors.

http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaUSA.htm

How you can possible compare that to a real IMAX 15/70 theater is beyond me. It's just a big screen.
post #1012 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Had a friend tell me I would see it and guys at ComicCon were going on about how it's the Superman they have always been waiting for. I was pretty amped to see it only for it to grossly disappoint in that it showed nothing.

That's because it was a teaser, not a trailer.
post #1013 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That theater is an IMAX Digital theater which uses Christie 2K digital projectors.
How you can possible compare that to a real IMAX 15/70 theater is beyond me. It's just a big screen.

I saw the film twice, first time at the 15/70 Banque Scotia IMAX downtown Montreal, and the second time in a so-called IMAX digital theater... What's the point of calling it IMAX anyway? Maybe because the sound is a bit better? The screen ratio didn't even seem larger than anhy other conventional screen. It really was like watching my shifting AR Blu-ray of The Dark Knight: it opened *a little bit* to fill what seemed to be a 1.85:1 screen (or even 1.78? I don't know tbh...)

OTOH the 15/70 presentation was jaw-dropping.
post #1014 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I know this is the movie thread and I don't want to go into a discussion about Aurora... Yet I just saw this:

Christian Bale is making a quiet trip to Aurora, Colorado to visit with the victims of last week's movie theater massacre. With free time thanks to the cancellations of premieres and press appearances for The Dark Knight Rises in Mexico and Japan, Bale took it upon himself to visit, a rep for Warner Bros. told The Denver Post."

That's just an amazing gesture. Bravo Mr. Bale. smile.gifcool.gif

Christian Bale VIsits Colorado Shooting Victims

...back to The Dark Knight Rises...
post #1015 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Same here. Got a look at the Comicon footage while it was on-line briefly, was disappointed that it didn't end up being what was in the theatres. Besides, the teaser had such a Terrence Malick feel that I half expected the title to come up as 'The Thin Red Cape' or 'Tree of Steel'.

Sanjay
post #1016 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Same here. Got a look at the Comicon footage while it was on-line briefly, was disappointed that it didn't end up being what was in the theatres. Besides, the teaser had such a Terrence Malick feel that I half expected the title to come up as 'The Thin Red Cape' or 'Tree of Steel'.

I kept waiting to hear Mike Rowe's voice and: "244 miles S, SW of Dutch Harbor....."
post #1017 of 1595 Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Dark Knight Rises presented in digital IMAX on a 101' wide screen was awe inspiring. Don't knock it until you've seen it. I agree that the typical cineplex's LieMAX theater is the next thing to a fraud but a digital IMAX presentation on a huge 4x3 screen is an entirely different ballgame. Trust me on this. I have read that the average 15/70 IMAX 4x3 screen is 60' X 80', which means that the 101' wide 4x3 screen of the digital IMAX theater I saw The Dark Knight Rises in is MUCH larger than that. Is is better that 15/70 IMAX? Of course not, but it is certainly in the conversation.
post #1018 of 1595 Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
We saw it last night at the Lincoln Square IMAX. I believe it has the largest IMAX screen in the world. No doubt that visually, this is the ultimate way to experience an epic film like DKR. It was sold out, of course. I showed up three hours early to get a good seat and wasn't first in line. Every IMAX showing has sold out so far at that theater.

To me The Dark Knight is the best comic book film ever made. Superior even to SUPERMAN The Movie and that is saying a lot.

The Dark Knight Rises is not as good. How could it be? But is is better than Batman Begins and I do believe it is a great film. One I will see again.

It's biggest hurdle is the aspect of the villain. An evil mastermind who's face is covered by a mask cannot compare to Heath Ledger's Joker and all of that actor's expressiveness. The Joker seemed much more dangerous, even though Bane was clearly a physical monster and highly intelligent.

The ending... Well I guessed part of it earlier in the film...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Alfred's dream: Well of course we will see that again, but with Bruce Wayne! Duh!

What I did not guess and should have seen coming from a mile away... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Talia. How did I not guess that? Maybe because she was introduced so casually I didn't put the pieces together, despite having read the Batman comic books for over 20 years.

Much of this film is directly inspired by Frank Miller's DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, particularly when Batman is first seen after eight years of being absent. The older cop telling the rookie cop he is in for a show. The media coverage. It's torn right from issue #1. Nicely ripped off. Well done.

The wife liked the film as well, but also felt it was not in the league of DK. She looks at The Joker as being the scariest, craziest, most frightening villain of all time.

By the way, I do understand why Nolan wrapped things up with this film, but it is a bit annoying knowing that Warner will 'reboot' this thing in a few years and start all over. That frustrates the hell out of me. And like with SPIDER-MAN, I will not attend. I will avoid trailers. I simply am not interested.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #1019 of 1595 Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

We saw it last night at the Lincoln Square IMAX. I believe it has the largest IMAX screen in the world.
By the way, I do understand why Nolan wrapped things up with this film, but it is a bit annoying knowing that Warner will 'reboot' this thing in a few years and start all over. That frustrates the hell out of me. And like with SPIDER-MAN, I will not attend. I will avoid trailers. I simply am not interested.

That there internet thingy tells me that the one in Australia has the largest screen. I guess you won't be looking forward to the new reboot of Superman as well then. The Spiderman reboot was well worth it for a lot of viewers. I found it to be entertaining, was wowed by the quality of the characters, and enjoyed it a lot more than Raimi's (2 is still really good though).
At the same time I can understand people's frustration with the lack of original content. The way I see it though, at least there are a lot of really great original TV series to choose from now compared to the past. The tides have been turning in that regard the past decade. I used to hardly watch any TV series, but now I look forward to some of them more-so than movies, since the bar and quality have gone up so much. Game of Thrones anyone?

Edit: Quick Jab - I'm ready for a reboot of Prometheus.tongue.gif
post #1020 of 1595 Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'll see SUPER-MAN since the first reboot was not a success and just petered out and died. SPIDER-MAN and BATMAN each have had three hugely successful films (though Spider-Man 3 was a bore). They are fresh in our minds.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page