Dexter Box Set 1-4 Counterfeit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now I may be wrong, but I bought this on ebay. It looked "off". I am used to box sets esp after old holiday movie bundles, etc. So the case was slim, however, the "cover" looked very bad quality.

I was angry, then I opened the disc and saw some shwotime jewelry ad. Thought it was legit.

Then I look at DVD and I just see disc number, no barcode found on all dvd's.

Insert into my media PC and it wont work. Throw into laptop, laptop drive recognizes it, but its a single layer DVD.

Quality is bad, looks like DVD shrink. These are really good counterfeits. I bought for a few andrew jacksons.

The DVD cases say Dual Layer DVD, so I should just write these off as really good fakes right?
(dvdfab/dvdshrink doesnt even recognize them)..

Unless of course you guys have same experience from this set from a brick and mortar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
They gotcha. Buy only directly from legitimate big name retailers with stated return policies. Containers full of bogus DVDs and BRDs come in from China daily.

Not all of the bogus disks are bad quality, either. The quality varies all the way up to the equal of the legitimate disks, with bit-for-bit copies.

No legitimate source uses recordable disks, either. It is much cheaper to master and press real double layer disks at the quantities being shipped by the legitimate source.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
The only multi-season Dexter sets ever sold legitimately are simple packaged 4-case bundles of the 4 season individual sets. The DVD set would look like THIS Some retailers have also bundled seasons 1-4, but again it's just the individual season sets packaged together. That's pretty easy information to find out before buying.

In any case, eBay and PayPal have protections for this type thing so you can get your money back.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

yep - looks EXACTLY like that, they really went far making boxes. Open box and the dvd case print quality is low, and used recordable disks with inkjet printing on the disc.

All in all - its a bootleg that would fool many unless they have seen the show on showtime in HD glory. Vs its CBS OTA butchered (no pun intended) counterpart.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

btw got refund in full without returning crap.

paypal did well on this, or, seller is monitoring account expecting a freeze if a case actually gets reviewed by a real paypal rep
Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Good news on the refund. I try to use PayPal when dealing with non-mainstream sellers/dealers.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Agree with Larry on this. Paypal has been good to me in the past.

It's always best to use the big resellers when you want a hard copy.