The Man From Nowhere - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you like Taken this is your movie. I think it was one of the best action films I saw last year. It's out on BD and DVD in March.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7SSETgPRn4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Already have it saved to my queue.. can't wait!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got the BR on pre-order at Amazon, I've been wanting to see this one for some time.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, did anyone get the BD yet? Here's a review.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/47356...m-nowhere-the/
Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I got the BD at a local BB. They price matched with Walmart online so it was hard to pass up.

I thought it was very good and well acted except for one of the policeman that seemed to need to overact his part with his facial expressions. The girl was very good.

There's not a lot of extras but they do show some "making of" and it was interesting to see and hear how polite the director and actors were to each other. Maybe it was just the translations. Plus the lead actor seemed kind of juvenile (not in a bad way) or just showed his young age between takes, then transformed into the character on camera. I got the impression he did not have life long training in the martial arts. Guess that's why it's called acting. It also looked like some of the actors doubled as part of the crew.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post
I got the impression he did not have life long training in the martial arts. Guess that's why it's called acting. It also looked like some of the actors doubled as part of the crew.
I actually thought the fight choreography at the end was pretty good but I think your right that he is an actor and not a martial artist. Have you seen "Mother"? You should check it out if you haven't yet. It was the first time I really noticed him. I still have to check out Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War. I've heard it was good, also.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216496/
Old 03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've this one on queue already.

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War - from a realism standpoint, it is similar to Tom Hank's Saving Pvt. Ryan. I like the story and true to its title. It also feature Lee Eun-ju, the poor girl who committed suicide several years ago. Think you would enjoy this, assuming that blood and gore are the norm.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'll have to check out both those movies.

I thought the fight scenes were pretty good also. Didn't mean to imply he didn't do a good job. In the extras, the fight choreographer was having trouble getting him to hit hard enough. He would hit his opponent then apologize. The director did say the main character did all his own stunts.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The other worthy mentioning are: Memories of Murder, The Chaser and A Bittersweet life, in that order. The 1st one was based on a true story, quite dark.

S. Korean cinema has come a long way.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Not to forget, tell me something, hypnosis.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
The other worthy mentioning are: Memories of Murder, The Chaser and A Bittersweet life, in that order. The 1st one was based on a true story, quite dark.

I've seen them all. All worth watching. You should check out "I Saw The Devil". It's playing in limited release right now around the U.S. and will be available on BD in May. I already have it on pre order at Amazon. It plays like a 4th installment to the Vengence series. I already posted it up awhile back but here's the trailer anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkwEFKdTckk
Old 03-11-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Ahem, the Vengeance series is classic. I'll put this one on queue too.

Hypnosis or Saimin also look interesting; I've a copy of Tell Me Something already.

Sorry to detract from the main thread.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Ok folks, if you want to watch a movie that will blow your socks off and be enthralled like you've haven't been in a long time then I highly suggest The man from nowhere.

This is one complete SOB...good acting, great action, brilliant plot and script, funny as heck, riveting, solid production sets, great direction/cinematography, cool badass hero, crazy mean bad guys, and just absolutely original and awesome.

And for the record, until today I've yet to find any good Korean films that have come so highly recommended in the past. I guess when it rains it pours. I also didn't see what was the big ruckus with the Hong kong version of The Departed also just for reference.
Wow, what a ride. I will be shocked if this film does not get remade by Tony scott or somebody here in US which by the way he would make a perfect candidate since Man on Fire share the essential similarities. A+
Old 03-27-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
Ok folks, if you want to watch a movie that will blow your socks off and be enthralled like you've haven't been in a long time then I highly suggest The man from nowhere.

This is one complete SOB...good acting, great action, brilliant plot and script, funny as heck, riveting, solid production sets, great direction/cinematography, cool badass hero, crazy mean bad guys, and just absolutely original and awesome.

And for the record, until today I've yet to find any good Korean films that have come so highly recommended in the past. I guess when it rains it pours. I also didn't see what was the big ruckus with the Hong kong version of The Departed also just for reference.
Wow, what a ride. I will be shocked if this film does not get remade by Tony scott or somebody here in US which by the way he would make a perfect candidate since Man on Fire share the essential similarities. A+
'The Departed' is the remake of the HK movie 'Infernal Affairs'.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

'The Departed' is the remake of the HK movie 'Infernal Affairs'.

oops thanks forgot about that, I mean Infernal affairs yes. In any event IMO thought both version sucked and was disturblingly over rated.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally watched Nowhere last night. It was a cross between Taken and The Professional. One thing I got used to, but still find it comical, that Asian action movies love to pit one against 20 or so men and came out alive.

In all seriousness, this is another morbid subject that I'm sure happened all over the world in the underground where the advance of medical science compromised our moral and ethics judgement.

Great movie and enjoyable. I do wished that the fight between the two nemesis at the end could be longer. The little girl and the man could easily shed tears in a brink. I've got Hypnosis next.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey dragonbud, good to hear from you. I thought from reading all the reviews that I was going to watch mirror version of Leon but found out it borrowed from it very liitle except in the beg in that they were neighbors and he likes milk. That's about it really. If you think about it this film was a lot like Man on Fire more than anything else esp Leon. Btw isn't amazing how such a dark gritty intense film can make u laugh often and cry equally? Honestly, this movie should win best picture of the decade. Everything was near perfection in all dept.

NOTE: if you guys are familiar with IMBD, no film has ever escaped the wrath of fanboys or haters regardless how good you thought the film was. Well I just browsed their forum area and this is the 1st time since I've been on IMBD that I did not see a single negative feedback thread or post. That's gotta be an incredible feat in itself and shows how great this film is.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ahem! Man on Fire was good, except I did not like the atypical Hollywood ending. If it was from the Far East or Europe, it's more palatable.

Someone started a thread on 13 Assassins; trailer looks great.

Yes, I highly recommend Nowhere, dark and engrossing but not surprised about the "eyes".
Old 03-27-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ahem! Man on Fire was good, except I did not like the atypical Hollywood ending. If it was from the Far East or Europe, it's more palatable.

Someone started a thread on 13 Assassins; trailer looks great.

Yes, I highly recommend Nowhere, dark and engrossing but not surprised about the "eyes".
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Yeah, you see that coming a mile away. Even the smallest act of kindness can turn anyone around just a little bit. There was no way that guy was going to let the crazy surgeon cut the girl's eyes out.

I Saw the Devil and Man From Nowhere are the best movies to come out of Korea last year.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the 1st ten min if anyone have any doubts, not bad quality too. It's just you probably can't help it but end up watching the other 8 parts like myself. I bought the BD on ebay right after, no-if-buts-about-it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HmGoMqy-XE
Old 03-28-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, i'v just viewed the first 2 and have to say...WOW better than 80% of the crap Hollywood churns out annually!
Got anymore little gem's hidden away?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

Thanks, i'v just viewed the first 2 and have to say...WOW better than 80% of the crap Hollywood churns out annually!
Got anymore little gem's hidden away?

As mentioned earlier there's the vengeance trilogy:

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
Lady Vengeance
Old Boy
Old 03-29-2011, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

As mentioned earlier there's the vengeance trilogy:

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
Lady Vengeance
Old Boy

Yes iv seen these sometime ago. I'm sure everyones seen 'The Host' which dragged on quite a bit for me.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone mentioned "Tell Me Something" before, like Se7en.

Thirst - quite gory.

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War - if you like Saving Pvt Ryan.

Natural City - has some similarity to Blade Runner.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:58 AM

Liked: 12
Finally saw this, and loved it. Felt like it could've benefited from a little "trimming of the fat", but other than that I have no real complaints. The tension was palpable, and the build to the climax was excellent (and of course, so was the payoff).

My favorite scene though was
Spoiler  
the whole scene when he started following the kid drug smuggler... from the beginning all the way to the amazing long take in the apartment hallway that ends with him crashing out of a second story window (and the camera follows!). Damn good stuff.

Worth a rental at the very least, a definite buy if revenge action thrillers are your type of film.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

This just in from comingsoon.net: I'm not crazy about hiring Abduction writer though, do they want this remake to bomb or what?

Dimension Films announced today that they have acquired the rights to the English-language remake of The Man From Nowhere. The original South Korean action thriller was 2010s highest-grossing film at the Korean box office, surpassing blockbusters such as Inception and Iron Man 2.

"We have always been huge action and martial arts fans and are getting back into the genre in a big way with 'The Man From Nowhere,'" said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company. "It's a slick, fast-paced action thriller anchored by a strong emotional relationship that audiences are going to love."

Dimension has tapped Shawn Christensen (Abduction) to pen the script. The original film follows a quiet pawnshop keeper with a violent past who takes on a drug- and organ-trafficking ring to save the child who is his only friend.

"I am excited and honored to work alongside Bob and the team at Dimension," said Christensen. "I'm a huge fan of the original 'The Man From Nowhere,' and look forward to bringing it to American audiences.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
WOW!
What a dandy movie this is!

NF finally sent this to me and gave it a watch last nite.

This is in some ways reminiscent of Besson's Leon, but with many more layers/complexity.
In fact, this is one of those that is so intricate it almost demands a re-watch to catch it all.

STRONGLY Recommended for those who enjoy gangster action dramas (or simply good movies).
Highly skilled in all departments of production.

The BD has excellent AV.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

WOW!
What a dandy movie this is!

NF finally sent this to me and gave it a watch last nite.

This is in some ways reminiscent of Besson's Leon, but with many more layers/complexity.
In fact, this is one of those that is so intricate it almost demands a re-watch to catch it all.

STRONGLY Recommended for those who enjoy gangster action dramas (or simply good movies).
Highly skilled in all departments of production.

The BD has excellent AV.

Glad you liked it! I could have sworn I'd posted in this thread but must have been in the BR forums. Very much agree with the Leon comparison, almost like The Professional and Taken but with more grit, emotion, and violence

I rented this and bought a copy after seeing it. I've watched it at least 3x and the wife loves it too, highly recommended!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Please watch it with Korean audio and ENG subtitles. I tried watching it one time with Eng audio and it was like a another movie and made no sense. Regardless if you're not a fast reader or don't like to read subtitles If anything do it with Eng subs the 1st time around and then if you don't believe me watch it with Eng audio and see how ridiculous it is.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I rented this and bought a copy after seeing it. I've watched it at least 3x and the wife loves it too, highly recommended!

Same here...my wife loved it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Please watch it with Korean audio and ENG subtitles. I tried watching it one time with Eng audio and it was like a another movie and made no sense. Regardless if you're not a fast reader or don't like to read subtitles If anything do it with Eng subs the 1st time around and then if you don't believe me watch it with Eng audio and see how ridiculous it is.

No need to worry, I always watch with subs.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!